Sunquest Compensation/ Cabarete Bay Hotel

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel Review

Dear DRBound

Was typing lots of info for you and touched the wrong key and lost it all. Too tired to redo it right now, but will try to get it done for you later tonight, or tomorrow morning.
Sorry
MJ

C

Caral

No beach at Sosua Bay for family...duh...

The public beach at Sosua Bay Resort offers the safest family swimming on the North Coast...with one problem...sea urchins. Just grab a beach chair at Sosua Bay and march the little darlins, with beach shoes, to the water and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. You do not have to rent a chair. The chairs at Sosua Bay are available to all guests. There is also a wonderful pool and a children's area with supervision.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
CABARETE BAY HOTEL REVIEW

OK DRBOUND
HERE GOES THE REVIEW

1. GROUNDS: HARD TO TELL AS THERE IS SO MUCH CONSTRUCTION AND RESODDING AND GARDENING GOING ON. IT'S A BIT OF A MESS, BUT WILL LOOK NICE I THINK WHEN IT IS FINISHED. EACH DAY WE WERE THERE WE SAW AN IMPROVEMENT
THE BIGGEST SHOCK WAS WALKING OUT OF THE RECEPTION AREA AND LOOKING STRAIGHT AT A HUGE CONSTRUCTION AREA, WHICH WAS THE NEW POOL. THERE IS ALSO CONSTRUCTION AND REBUILDING GOING ON ALL AROUND THE COMPLEX, WHICH ISN'T REALLY THAT BIG. THE BUILDING BESIDE THE BUFFET RESTARAUNT IS BEING REBUILT AND MADE BIGGER AND WILL BE A SPORTS COMPLEX WITH BAR ETC. NO IDEA WHEN THAT WILL BE DONE
LIKEWISE THE SHOPS, INTERNET AND OTHER BARS.

2.POOLS: THE NEW POOL IS SPLIT INTO TWO SECTIONS WITH A RESTARAUNT BEING BUILT IN THE MIDDLE AND A SWIM UP BAR. THE DAY WE LEFT THEY WERE FILLING ONE HALF OF THE POOL THAT THEY HAD FINISHED. COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES. THEY SAY IT WILL ALL BE FINISHED THIS MONTH. BUT I WOULDN'T HOLD MY BREATH. THEIR IS A SMALLER POOL WITH 2 LARGE HOT TUBS BY THE NEW ROOMS. VERY NICE. ONE SIDE IN SHADE ALL DAY FOR THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT LIKE TO SUN BATHE AND IT'S HOTTER BY THE POOL AS WELL.

3. BARS: WAS SUPPOSSED TO BE 4, BUT THERE REALLY WAS ONLY THE ONE NEAR THE BEACH, WHICH ISN'T FAR FROM ANYTHING REALLY. THE LOBBY BAR DOES NOT SEEM TO BE OPERATING AS A FULL BAR. NOT SURE WHY, COULDN'T GET AN ANSWER.
ONE NEW BAR WILL BE IN THE NEW POOL AND ONE IN THE SPORTS COMPLEX. I WAS DISSAPOINTED IN THE MIXED DRINKS (YOU KNOW THE FANCY ONES. THEY ONLY HAD PINA COLADAS AND BAHAMA MAMAS, BUT WILL MIX UP OTHER THINGS, BUT NOT AS EXOTIC AS OTHER RESORTS THAT HAVE A WHOLE LIST OF "SLUSHY" TYPE DRINKS.

4. FOOD" BUFFET WAS NOT EXCELLENT, BUT MORE THEN ADEQUATE. YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE AND THEIR DESSERTS ARE GREAT (TOO BAD FOR ME) THEY ALSO HAVE A MADE TO ORDER OMLET BAR, WHICH BECOMES A MADE TO ORDER PASTA BAR AT LUNCH AND DINNER. REALLY GOOD.
TWO A LA CARTES OPERATING. THE ITALIAN ONE NEXT DOOR TO THE BEACH BAR. EXCELLENT FOOD. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.
GRILL BAR ON SLIGHTY LOWER SEATING LEVEL OF THE BEACH BAR.
SERVES STEAK, CHICKEN, SHRIMP SKEWARS AND WAS SUPPOSSED TO HAVE LOBSTER ,BUT DID NOT HAVE IT EVERY NIGHT. WE NEVER GOT ANY.
THEY ALSO SERVE SNACKS, COOKIES, COFFE, TEA ETC. EVERYDAY AT THE BEACH BAR AT 5. YOU CAN ALSO GET SNACK ON THE LOWER SECTION OF THE ITALIAN RESTARAUNT ANY TIME AND I THINK ALSO AT THE BUFFET AT 11 P.M.

5. ROOMS. TWO SECTIONS. THE OLD (ESTELLA DEL MAR SECTION) WHICH APPARANTLY HAS BEEN REDONE AND WE HEARD WAS FINE
JUST PAINT OUTSIDE FUNNY BRIGHT COLORS, THEY ARE THE ONES ON YOUR RIGHT AS YOU COME OUT OF RECEPTION. BUILDINGS 1 TO 5 I THINK. WE STAYED IN BUILDING 7. ONE OF THE NEW ONES BY THE NEW POOL ON THE LEFT. THEIR IS ONE BUILDING THAT SITS RIGHT BEHIND THE NEW POOL WHICH I THINK IS BUILDING 6. ALL FRONT FACING ROOM WOULD BE GREAT. OUR ROOM WAS VERY NICE, INCLUDING BATHROOM. ALL ROOMS ARE SUPPOSSED TO HAVE HAIR DRYERS AND A STOCKED MINI BAR (BEER, POP, WATER) WE HAD BOTH AND NO PROBLEMS, BUT SOME PEOPLE DID NOT HAVE HAIR DRYERS OR REGULARILY STOCKED BARS. IF YOU DON'T AND COMPLAIN AND STILL DON'T GET ANY. LEAVE A TIP OF ONE US DOLLAR OR 50 PESOS AND YOU WILL BE ALL SET.
ROOMS FACE POOL, OCEAN OR GARDEN. NONE OF THE GARDEN VIEWS ARE VERY NICE RIGHT NOW DUE TO CONSTRUCTION.

6. BEACH: GREAT. NOT THE FLATEST PART ON THE WHOLE BEACH, IT SEEMS TO BE IN LIKE TIERS, BUT IT WASN'T A PROBLEM. LOTS OF BEACH CHAIRS, BUT IF YOU WANT SHADE GET OUT EARLY AND PUT YOUR TOWELS ON A COUPLE OF CHAIRS WHERE YOU WANT TO SIT. EVERYONE HONOURS THIS VERY WELL. THE WATER IS NOT THE CALMEST AS THIS BEACH IS FAMOUS FOR WIND AND KITE SURFING. IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE A THRILL. WE FELT WE WERE TO OLD TO TRY IT. IT WAS NICE HOWEVER TO WHATCH IT ALL. AS IT IS SO COLOURFUL AND GRACEFULL. IF YOU LIKE TO BOOGY BOARD THE WAVES ARE GREAT FOR THAT TOO. WE'RE IN OUR 50'S AND WE HAD NO PROBLEMS DO IT OR GETTING THE HANG OF IT. IT WAS AWESOME.
BEACH IS ALSO VERY VERY LONG AND YOU CAN HAVE A GREAT WALK FOR EXERCISE OR JUST TO STROLL ANY TIME. TO YOUR RIGHT AS YOU GO DOWN THE BEACH ARE THE BACKS OF ALL THE CITY BARS. THEY OPEN ONTO THE SAND AND YOU CAN WALK RIGHT UP AND HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT OR DRINK, BUT OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT. IT IS ALSO NICE TO SIT THERE OUTSIDE AT NIGHT LOOKING AT THE STARS.
BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT WITH THE BEACH WAS THAT THE SNORKELLING WHICH THEY ADVERTISE IS ALMOST NIL THERE. IF YOU WANT TO DO ANY SNORKELING BOOK IN SOSUA, WHERE IT IS REALLY GOOD, OR GO ON A TOUR OF PARADISE ISLAND. IT'S NOT CHEAP. ABOUT $75 OR $80 US, BUT THE SNORKELING IS OUT OF THIS WORLD. WATER IS WARM, CRYSTAL CLEAR AND NOT DEEP FOR MOST OF IT. LOTS OF CORAL AND DIFFERENT SHAPES OF OCEAN FORMATIONS AND GORGEOUS COLORED FISH THAT WILL EAT RIGHT OUT OF YOU HANDS. BANANAS ARE RECOMMENDED FOOD. IF YOU GO SNORKELING, BUY YOURSELF A CHEAP UNDERWATER CAMER AT HOME (NOT THERE) AND YOUR WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

7. STAFF: EVERYONE BUT MANAGEMENT IS FRIENDLY AND
EFFICIENT. IT'S NOT THAT MANAGEMENT IS MEAN. IT'S MORE LIKE THEY DON'T REALLY CARE, WHEREAS THE REST OF THE STAFF WORK THEIR BUTS OFF. TIP IF YOU CAN FOR CERTAIN THINGS.

8. ENTERTAINMENT: QUITE GOOD, BUT NOT BROADWAY. LOCAL TALENT, SOME AUDIENCE MEMBERS FOR DANCING AND SOME REALLY GOOD PROFESSIONAL PERFORMERS. ENTERTAINMENT IS EVERY NIGHT AT 10, BUT THERE IS A WARM UP WITH THE STAFF AND THE KIDS FIRST.

9.VENDERS: LOTS OF BEACH VENDERS. THEY WILL REALLY BUG YOU AT FIRST. THEY SEEM TO KNOW IF YOU ARE NEW. IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED JUST SAY NO AND WAVE YOUR ARMS BACK AND FORTH. OR SAY NOT AND DON'T LOOK AT THEM. IF YOU WANT TO SEE THEIR STUFF (MOSTLY JEWELRY) THEY WILL PRESSURE YOU AND CLAIM THEY HAVE A SPECIAL PRICE JUST FOR YOU. BAH!
IF YOU DO WANT TO BARGAIN. ASK THEIR PRICE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU SO MUCH US OR PESOS. IT WILL BE OUTRAGEOUSLY HIGH. OFFER THEM 1/4 OF THEIR ASKING PRICE. THEY USUALLY WILL ACT SHOCKED. IF YOU STAY FIRM AND THEY THINK IT IS FAIR THEY WILL ACCEPT IT. IF NOT YOU CAN GO UP A BIT. WHEN YOU STAY FIRM AND THEY KEEP AT YOU YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO GET A DEAL.
LARIMAR AND AMBER ARE THEIR TWO SEMI PRESCIOUS STONES. I FIND THE AMBER IS NOT OF GOOD QUALITY, UNLESS YOU GO INTO A GOOD JEWELRS. BUT THE LARIMAR IS USUALLY NOT BAD. CHECK THE WEIGHT OF THE SILVER IN YOUR HANDS THAT SURROUND THE STONES IF IT IS TOO LIGHT IT IS POOR QUALITY, OR IF IT LOOKS TINNY THEN IT IS NOT TOO GOOD EITHER.
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A REALLY NICE LARGE PENDANT WITH CHAIN FOR ABOUT $40 US OF LESS. A BIG RING FOR $20. EARINGS FROM $5 UP. THERE IS ALSO A LIQUIDATION STORE ON THE MAIN STREET OF CABARETE, DOWN THE STREET AND ACROSS FROM THE HOTEL. THEY HAVE SOME GREAT BUYS. IN ONE SECTION THEY HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF LARIMAR, BUT IT IS PRETTY F DROP EARINGS WITH 2 STONES FOR $6 US.

9. MONEY. YOU CAN BUY IN PESOS, US OR CANADIAN. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE SOME US, WHATCH THE EXCHANGE RATE. WHEN WE GOT THEIR IT WAS 50PESOS TO $1US. IT WENT DONE TO 43 THEN BACK UP TO 49 WHEN WE LEFT. WHICH IS REALLY GOOD.
CANADIAN WAS 30 OR 32 PESOS WHEN WE LEFT, WHICH IS NOT BAD EITHER IF YOU DIDN'T BUY US WHEN THE CANADIAN DOLLER WAS UP. DON'T GET YOUR MONEY CHANGED AT THE RESORT. IT'S THE WORST PRICE.

10. CABARETE ITSELF
VERY QUAINT, ATMOSPHERIC LITTLE TOWN. WE LIKED IT. LOTS OF SHOPS, BARS, RESTARAUNTS. AND JUST NICE TO WALK AROUND IN. WE FOUND A BAR CALLED JOSE O'SHEA'S IRISH BAR. WHAT A HOOT. YOU CAN GET MIKE'S HARD LEMONADE, OR SMIRNOFF ICE ETC. THERE AND THE STAFF ARE CANADIAN.

HOPE ALL THIS INFO HAS GIVEN YOU A BIT OF A PICTURE OF WHAT YOU WILL SEE.

FOR ALL THE HASSLE AND MESS WE HAD A GOOD TIME. I GUESS WHAT MADE THE HOLIDAY WAS THAT THE WEATHER WAS PERFECT EVERY SINGLE DAY. NOT ONE DROP OR RAIN. I SAID TO MY HUBBY YOU CAN STAY AT THE BEST PLACE BUT IF THERE IS A LOT OF RAIN SO WHAT. ON THE OTHER HAND YOU CAN STAY SOMEWHERE NOT SO FANCY OR "FINISHED" AND IF THE SUN IS SHINING SO WILL YOU.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TRIP
LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANY OTHER INFO.
GOTTA GO,ARMS FALLING OFF.
MJ

weze

Feb 6, 2004
Azzurro/Cabarete Bay Questions

Thanks to all of you who wrote reviews.

I will be travelling with a young child in March.

I could go to Cabarete Bay but I was wondering how it is for Children:

Is there a children Pool/section of Pool ?

Is there a Kids Playground ?

Are the waves too strong for kids ?

Are there a lot of nude/topless sunbathers ?

What is the proportion of visitors from Canada/Europe/US ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Buffalo

Feb 6, 2004
Cabarete Bay Hotel

Has anyone come back from the Cabarete Bay Hotel recently and can you tell us if the construction work is completed or is it still ongoing? We have been told by Sunquest today that the work at the hotel is complete and no one should be concerned about going there. Sunquest is saying there is a difference between the Estrella del Mar and the Cabarete Bay but from what I read in some of these postings they seem to be almost the same resort. Am I correct?
Thank you.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Cabarete Bay

For Weze

I will try and answer your questions but you didn't specify which hotel.
Cabarete Bay is the name of the city and is also the Cabarete Bay Hotel, which is part of the Azzuro Clubs. It is also part of the old Estella Del Mar resort, but when we were there it wasn't sure just what it would end up being called.
The hotel is owned by the Starz Resorts chain , which also owns the Sosua Bay Hotel and the Victorian House Hotel in Sosua Bay and which can be used everyday if desired by guests at The Cabarete Bay Hotel and like wise those at the hotels in Sosua can use the Cabarete Bay Hotel facilities.

As you will see from other postings the Cabarete Bay Hotel is still not quite finished, but the way they were working when we were there, it just might be finished, or close to in March. I actually don't think every little thing detail will be though so what will and what won't is anybody's guess.

They do advertise a children's program, but I didn't see anywhere for one when we were there. I did see, some plastic Fisher Price type large toys on one part of the beach that currently has a tin fence behind it due to construction. So perhaps they had something kind of make shift area right now, that will be changed later.
If you haven't booked I would wait for a bit and see what you can verify as being finished.

If you have already booked then what you see is what you'll get.

The beach may be a bit too much for a little one. It is never completely calm and often has lots of waves. that is why it is so famous for Kite and Wind surfing. A child of say, 6 or 7 would be fine near show, but younger then that I think would be a problem.

As for a pool for kids. I think the new one being built is suppossed to have an area for little kids, but I am not sure.
The smaller pool that is there is not very deep, but doesn't have a children's area, so a little one would have to be held. Again this is something you need to discuss thoroughly with your tour rep. as you may find there is almost nothing for small children.

However if you stay at the Cabarete Bay Hotel you can take the free hotel shuttle in any day, to the Sosua Bay Hotel, which has a childrens area. However as lovely as the hotel is,it has lots of winding stairs all over the place and seems mostly inhabited by older people and honeymooners.

The public beach which is actually attached to the hotel is lovely, with lots of sand and mostly calm water that starts off sallow and would be ok for kids. However I am not sure where you can go where the lounge chairs that the hotel has are free. The rest of the beach has people renting chairs.

I know that a post by a woman talking about the Sosua Bay having or not having a family area, was quite adament that there was and further that you could sit anywhere on the beach. I cannot confirm this as we had no children with us and never
checked out just what the beach part of the Sosua hotel was like.

Again, if you have specific requirements and it sounds like you do, call your tour operator and "insist" on "correct" information as you have a young child and misinformation could completely ruin your holiday.

Good Luck.
MJ

Last edited:

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel

It never ceases to amaze me how easily a supposedly respected out fit like Sunquest can repeatedly tell you untruths.

It has caused nothing but trouble for them and for the hotel.

My husaband and I left on Mon. Feb. 2 and it was far from finished, but still habitable.

The largest and newest pool is a remodeling of their old original pool. It is massive and will have a swimp up bar and a restaraunt right in the middle of it and will look out on the ocean as well.

The day we left they were filling half the pool. I think the restaraunt is the split between two sides.

Word was that the other half should be ready before the end of Feb., but with building a restaraunt I wouldn't think so. Maybe the pool will be functioning but not everything else connected with the pool.

The previous post said the west side of the property, the Estrealla Del Mar part, was closed, it is not. There were guest in that section when we were there, but I believ not all of the buildings there are finished being remodled and the way the construction ropes off near that area makes it looked like it is closed.

There is suppossed to be 4 a la carte's and there was only 2. The other two will be the one in the middle of the pool and a new one being built on the roof or the Estrella Del Mar part, which is at the end of the building and will look out over the ocean. Should be nice when finished, but it isn't yet. No way.

There is also suppossed to be 4 bars and there was only 1. The beach bar. The lobby bar, which is classed as a bar in the brouchure description seemed to only serve no alchoholic welcom drinks and coffe. We never saw any liquor at all.

There is a very large building right beside the Buffet restaraunt that was the old sports complex and will be so again when finished. They were mostly working on a second floor, but I don't know exactlly what all will be in this building. I was told that there would be a Sports Bar, T.V. and other sports like stuff.
The shops and internet cafe, may be located on the main floor.
Not sure about this either. The shops and the internet cafe that they said they had were not open and were in fact storing construction material.

Exactlly what the place will be called is for Confusious to decide I guess. When we booked in Dec. We booked for the Cabarete Bay Hotel and did not know there was an older part (the Estrella Del Mar) until reading some of the post in this bulleting board. Thank God for it.

The Starz Resorts, own this property and the Sosua Bay Hotel and the Victorian House Hotel in Sosua Bay, a very short shuttle ride away from Cabarete Bay. It may be that they will eventually call the whole thing the Azzuro Club. I have seen similar confusing descriptions with other property's. One building is called on thing, the other something else, but the whole shibang, has another name. Usually something with the word "Club" in it.

I have no right to tell you what to do, but if I were you I would call my tour rep, and or Sunquest back at their customer service # 1 888 599 0789 and ask for Jason or Chenelle. Tell them you know that the hotel is NOT finished and you want the details.
What they should be telling people that the hotel is opened and operable, but not everything is finished, although they are working hard to get it finished and then tell you what they know.
They really may not know exactlly what isn't finished or open as the hotel is not being straight with them and the reps don't really hang around or walk around enought to find out for themselves to be able to report back to headoffice, or wherever.

The beach is spectacular, just watching the wind and kite surfing with their beautiful colours was enjoyable. If you are young and or strong enough you can get one free wind surfing lesson.
Boogie board can be used by "old farts" like us in our 50's we had a ball with them.

The rooms are nice. The food if more then adequate and in the Italian rest. is exceptional. Staff are friendly and the town of Cabarete is quaint and charming. If you know what you are in for and it doesn't bother you, as long as the weather is good you will have a good time. But when speaking to your tour rep. or Sunquest I would state for the recored ( and then follow up with an e-mail) that you will want some form of compenstion as it is not finished.

Good Luck to you all.
MJ

Buffalo

Feb 6, 2004
Cabarete Bay Hotel

Thank you for your response!

I'm actually asking for people that I know are going on the 17th of Feb. I guess the Cabarete Hotel won't be finished by then.

Sunquest doesn't want to offer any compensation or refund until the 15th, which leaves these people really up in the air about whether they are going or not. They have offered to move them to a lesser resort or a better resort but they have to pay the difference which I don't think is right.

I don't blame Sunquest for the construction delay but they should get a handle on what is going on and let their customers know far enough in advance so they can make alternate plans. Customers will be a lot less upset if they are dealt with truthfully in the beginning rather than fighting to get compensation when they get back.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Sunquest

{B]Sunquest{/B]
Buffalo said:
Thank you for your response!

I'm actually asking for people that I know are going on the 17th of Feb. I guess the Cabarete Hotel won't be finished by then.

Sunquest doesn't want to offer any compensation or refund until the 15th, which leaves these people really up in the air about whether they are going or not. They have offered to move them to a lesser resort or a better resort but they have to pay the difference which I don't think is right.

I don't blame Sunquest for the construction delay but they should get a handle on what is going on and let their customers know far enough in advance so they can make alternate plans. Customers will be a lot less upset if they are dealt with truthfully in the beginning rather than fighting to get compensation when they get back.

I completely agree, it seems as though that Sunquest has gotten the "Art" of withholding information/details down to a science. They have a tour representative who lives at these resorts so it is not as though they DON'T know what is really going on. From personal experience, when your travel agent questions something.....Sunquest replies with "oh, no.....it's just fine". So YOU the consumer gets sucked into their little game only to discover once you get to the resort ..... what you paid for and what you were led to believe is just not so and then you are stuck with whatever the situation is. Bottom line.....they want YOUR money...and really don't care if they have to mislead you to get it. :devious:

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
To Buffalo

My friend and I are also supposed to be leaving on Feb. 17th and are having the same problems. We were offered 2 hotels that are worth a lot less than what we paid but Sunquest said that that is all they are willing to do for us at this time. We have decided to hold out in hopes that they will be offering us a full refund closer to the date. Personally I don't want to be going to a hotel that isn't finished for the price that we paid and by the sounds of it there is no way that it will be finished in just over a week.
It basically comes down to the fact that Sunquest is losing a lot of money due to this, they won't offer anything unless the absolutely have to. We were told that they will be contacting everyone a few days prior to departure if the hotel isn't finished. I don't believe a word they say, we will be back on the phone with them on Wed of this week and every day after that until we get what we want out of them. As of last Wed they were offering refunds to people that were leaving this weekend. Hopefully this helps, I will post if I get anything out of them. Good luck to all of us!

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
To Go or not to go

altinkerbell said:
My friend and I are also supposed to be leaving on Feb. 17th and are having the same problems. We were offered 2 hotels that are worth a lot less than what we paid but Sunquest said that that is all they are willing to do for us at this time. We have decided to hold out in hopes that they will be offering us a full refund closer to the date. Personally I don't want to be going to a hotel that isn't finished for the price that we paid and by the sounds of it there is no way that it will be finished in just over a week.
It basically comes down to the fact that Sunquest is losing a lot of money due to this, they won't offer anything unless the absolutely have to. We were told that they will be contacting everyone a few days prior to departure if the hotel isn't finished. I don't believe a word they say, we will be back on the phone with them on Wed of this week and every day after that until we get what we want out of them. As of last Wed they were offering refunds to people that were leaving this weekend. Hopefully this helps, I will post if I get anything out of them. Good luck to all of us!

You have a hard decision, especially at such a late date, which is what Sunquest wants. I don't know what you paid, but if it is over a $1000 which I suspect it is you may want to get a refund and then book something else. There is always a deal available on the internet sites.
Try www.selloffvacations.com and see what is available for when you want to go and then that may help you make up your mind.

The other thing, is that the Cabarate Bay Hotel has two sister hotels in Sosua, only a 10/15 free shuttle ride away. Both of these hotels are gorgeous, but each has somthing the other doesn't. The beach at Cabarete is better compaired with the Sosua hotel beach, However the public beach right beside, basically connected really to the hotels is beautiful and has great snorkeling and diving and calmer water then at the C.B. beach.
But then if you are into kite or wind surfing the C.B beach is for you.

If you don't like staying around the C.B hotel during the day due to construction etc. go to the other hotel and you can use all their facilities including food. The rooms at the C.B are really nice. The mini fridges are stocked daily with beer, pop and water, the food is good, the beach is great, the small pool with the hot tubs is really nice and the beach is super. Also the resort is right on the edge of the city, basically in the city and all the pubs on the same side of the street as the C.B hotel back right onto the beach. The town is charming and quaint, with a few good buys and just nice to walk around. Sosua is also a shopping meca, but beware you will be pestered to death to buy things. The worst I have every seen. If you do go and are not at all interested in shopping just ingore them and walk on, or say No firmly. If you do want to shop, ask how much and then say it's way to much, no way and they will ask you to give them a price. You offer less than half what they asked for. If they say $100 Us or 2thousand pesos, whatever, your offer $25 Us or 500 pesos and see where you go. If they want the sale they will give you what you want to pay if you are firm. If they don't and let you walk away, you know that you did offer too little, in which case you can alway go back later. Or you will find the same thing at another stall probably and you will have more of an indea of how things work.

As long as the weather is good. You will have a good time, even if the hotel is not finished. We were appalled when we got there even though we got a deal, but we ended up having a really good time.
Bon Voyage.
MJ

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
decisions decisions

mjkalau said:
You have a hard decision, especially at such a late date, which is what Sunquest wants. I don't know what you paid, but if it is over a $1000 which I suspect it is you may want to get a refund and then book something else.

It was definetly a lot more than $1000, in fact it was almost twice that amount. If it was less than $1000 I could care less what was going on as long as I had food and a clean room to sleep in. But as we paid far more we expect everything to be finished if we are going to be going there. Unfortunatly for us, we are students on reading week and can't really afford the trip as is but also can't go at another time. The reason we booked it was because there was so much included we figured it would be worth what we were paying. So needless to say the trip to ease the stress and have a week of peace and quiet doesn't seem to be working that way. We are extremely fed up and will probably never book with sunquest again. and as we are young and have a lot of time ahead of us to travel they will loose a lot of business :)
Thank you for all the info that you have been posting, without you (as well as some others) we would have no clue what was going on.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Sunquest is STILL at it!

As usual, Sunquest is just interested in getting your money and not coming through as they promised.

You may try to email Busbaby through this site, find out if he will be around that area....he lives in Puerto Plata, and if time permits, and he is in the area of the hotel, he may be able to do an "inspection" for you.

Believe me....he has no real "Love" for Sunquest and will give you an honest opinion if possible. But he can only report what the hotel tells him, and what he physically can see.

Just don't count on anything that Sunquest tells you......I know this from personal experience.

mjkalau

Dec 28, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel Compensation

palmtree said:
Hi Everyone,

I was offered compensation by Sunquest this morning. 3 options 1/cancel with full refund 2/ upgrade to another resort with an additional cost 3/ receive a free week stay at the resort with all expenses paid except airfare.

The sunquest rep said that everything is up and running except the larger pool. This is blocked off. You have to walk by this pool to get to the restaurant. Since we spend most of our time at the beach we're opting for the free week at the resort

Has anyone else heard from sunquest?

Hi Sharon.
Mary here from Kithener.
Was having trouble hooking into one of your posts. Haven't heard anything from anyone since yours and my last posts. As I said in my post I sent an e-mail to Sunquest Customer Service. I also e-mailed Carolle today to hear anything new.
Did you finally get to talk to a real person? What is the current status as you know it.
Thanks Mary and Harry

Last edited:

coldcanadianX10

Jan 16, 2004
Hi to all

Sent off 2 letters of complaint to sunquest, with a standard e-mail return saying that they are looking in to it.

Don't forget when you are writing them to mention that the facilities is not how they advertise. There is no games room, billiards, etc.

I am hoping that Sunquest will try to protect their reputation and offer their own compensation if the resort does not come through. Has anyone ever heard of them doing such a thing? And if so, what did they do?

traveller

Oct 27, 2003
pictures

altinkerbell said:

HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED AT THE PICTURES IN THE MEDIA GALLARY, MEMBER PICTURES AND SEEN THE PICTURES OF THE CONSTRUCTION SITE???

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
pictures

traveller said:
HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED AT THE PICTURES IN THE MEDIA GALLARY, MEMBER PICTURES AND SEEN THE PICTURES OF THE CONSTRUCTION SITE???
Yep, I sure have looked at those pictures and I sure did see construction in them. Its not that I don't want to go to Cabarete (it seems like a very beautiful place and I have been to Puerto Plata before and really enjoyed it)its just that I paid far to much to be going to a hotel that isn't complete. Not to mention not everyone is an ocean person, I personally enjoy having a pool to go to as well as everything thing else that was offered to me. If I didn't want these things I would have booked a hotel that was much cheaper.
I don't mean to be offending anyone by wanting to get my money back or sound like I'm whining but truth is we arn't getting what we were told we were getting.

traveller

Oct 27, 2003
Cabarate Bay Hotel

guy_davis said:
I'm scheduled to arrive at the Cabarete Bay Hotel on March 3. I've found these forums indispensible for figuring out what is actually going on. My travel agent called yesterday offering to move us to a different resort due to the construction. The other options (Superclubs Breezes, Punta Goleta, and Parisio del Sol) don't seem as appealing or are farther away. I plan on taking some kite-surfing lessons at Kite Beach and this hotel is walking distance away I'm told.

So to all those in this forum who are currently staying at the hotel, please post a trip report when you get a chance. I'd really like to learn the extent of the construction and whether it warrants switching accomodation.

Also, can anyone confirm that this hotel is still offering its guests free trips and use of all the facilities at the sister hotel in Sosua (Sosua Bay Hotel I think?)

Thanks again.

Hi:

Check out the Media Gallery. There are some pictures there. Had someone check it out while he was in Sousa and he took the pictures. It is the pool that is under construction and one of the alcarte places. There is still the free trips to Sousa Bay Hotel.

Traveller

TDQ

Jan 3, 2004
don't worry be happy

traveller said:
Hi:

Check out the Media Gallery. There are some pictures there. Had someone check it out while he was in Sousa and he took the pictures. It is the pool that is under construction and one of the alcarte places. There is still the free trips to Sousa Bay Hotel.

Traveller
we came home saturday feb.7 from cabarete bay hotel and we all had a ball!!!! last sunday there were at least 300 -400 kites in the air and just as many wind surfers. there was construction going on where they are building the new pool but we're all going back next yr. just to see it completed. it is a wonderful place and not once did i hear one complaint from anyone i spoke to, as a matter of fact my husband found it rather remarkable to see what was taking shape with what tools they had. the only thing i can complain about is it just wasn't long enough!!!
TDQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is all well and good but

palmtree said:
Hi , hope I didn't offend you. We shorten the United States to "The States) as well. I will remember this tip in the future.
You don't say "the "United" do you?? No offence take BTW, it is just a small point we like to make clear to newbies on the site..

HB