Sunquest Compensation/ Cabarete Bay Hotel

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
Looks like we are going

Well, we are leaving Feb. 17th as we were told by our travel agent that Sunquest is saying that everything is finished.....no constructiion. We are hoping this is the case although we are doubting it is. Here's to making the most of it. I'm sure we are going to have a great time!! :)

By the way, is anyone else leaving this day or around this day??

painer

Feb 3, 2004
kitesurfing at Cabarete

guy_davis said:
Ken, you're right that my primary reason for going to Cabarete is the kite surfing. My partner isn't as keen to try kiting as I am though, so I need to be sure that I won't be leaving her behind at a construction site while I'm off kiting. I'd never hear the end of it, if you know what I mean. That's my primary motivation for determining the condition of the resort with respect to construction.

Thanks for the info about the Starz Resorts shuttle between Cabarete and Sosua.

Guy,
I'm doing exactly what your doing...going to Cabarete to kite, while my wife relaxes at the resort. We're down there from the 21st to the 28th, so I'll let you know how it is for everthing. Hopefully all; construction is done, and the wind is great.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Update Starz resorts i.e. Cabarete Bay Hotel/Estrella del Mar

hi everyone,

I talked to the management at Starz resorts yesterday and they are running a bit behind schedule (pool was supposed to be completed yesterday). They are now anticipating ALL construction to be completed by the end of February at the latest, with just some small projects left like the water slide, climbing wall, etc.

Marina
Kitexcite/Cabarete

traveller

Oct 27, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel

altinkerbell said:
Well, we are leaving Feb. 17th as we were told by our travel agent that Sunquest is saying that everything is finished.....no constructiion. We are hoping this is the case although we are doubting it is. Here's to making the most of it. I'm sure we are going to have a great time!! :)

By the way, is anyone else leaving this day or around this day??

HI:

Had a friend there in January and only the pool left to complete. Heard just this past Friday from our travel agent that one of their employees was in the Cabarete and they took a trip to the resort and everying thing was fine.

We are going at the begining of March so happy travelling to all.

Traveller

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Pool is ready

Thats at least what they say. This email reached me yesterday:

We are ready to fill the water into the new mail pool today. Construction is finished during the day today. By the way, the new name is AZZURRO CLUB ESTRELLA.

Director of Sales
STARZ RESORTS
www.starzresorts.com

tomson

Jan 14, 2004
Just got back

The small pool wrks great the new pool is starting to take water but I would bet it will be the end of the month before they let any one in. The beach is great the staff is super it is a real nice casual hotel try and get buildings 6or 7
Went to the Sosua Bay hotel nice hotel but steps steps and more steps one guy I talked to had to climb 417 steps to get to his room. Sunquest is giving 1 free week within the next 12 months SO RELAX AND HAVE FUN.

Cemoriall

Feb 18, 2004
More pics of the resort/construction

Hi Everyone,
i've just been reading all the posts about this Resort, I went to the resort Jan 26- Feb 2....like most of the reviews so far, mine is the same.
There definetly is A LOT MORE CONSTRUCTION at this hotel then the pool. Rooms, buildings, rooftop restaurants, stairs, walkways, and the front lobby were all under constuction while we were there. Which equalled a lot of noise as construction workers were hammering, cement trucks pouring, jack hammers blasting...lol, the list could go on
As for Sunquest saying that 'only the pool is still under contruction' is pure dishonesty. I agree with other posts on this site that Sunquest must know in full detail just how much construction is going on at this hotel and is not letting the consumer know about it until the last minute. Me and my partner paid only 700$ per person for this trip and thus were satisfied. As u have read from other posts, the staff are friendly, beach amazing, and the hotel is trying to do their best with the resources they have right now. Our hotel room was quite adequate as well as the food, make sure to use your a la cartes, they were great, especially the italian a la carte.

Furthermore, this is my first time on the site, i have alot of pics of the resort that i could post on the media gallery once i figure out how to use it, as well as pics of the construction, lemme know if anyone's interested

Both me and my partner are pretty laid back, we completely enjoyed our trip; however, if u have really high expectations, u may be disappointed in the hotel. I think that the contruction will likely continue through to the end of February based on what i saw on Feb 2 at the resort. As for the name, the entire resort is now known as Azurro Clubs (Both Cabarete Bay and Estrella Dell Mar) All staff wore shirts that say this and all reference to this hotel while u are in the resort will be Azzuro Clubs

Cemoriall

Feb 18, 2004
re: pics

Ginger said:
I would love to see any pictures that you have!

Hi Ginger,
i currently have alot of pics, and can upload more if there is interest.
For anyone who's interested, private message me ur email if you are on msn messenger and i can send them to you more quickly

i just uploaded about 8 pics onto this site's media gallary and the site just said that the pics will be up 'as soon as possible'

Cemoriall

Feb 18, 2004
Pics are up

Hi all,
just letting u know my pics are up on page one of the media gallery...there are also four that are just labelled 'construction' which shows some of the work being done at Cabarete Bay Hotel. If any of u are interested in seeing more pics, lemme know and i can post some more... unfortunetly i only have four pics of the construction tho

altinkerbell

Feb 7, 2004
no more compensation

coldcanadianX10 said:
are you optimistic about the compensation offer, or do you know something? Please advise.

Here's the scoop if you booked through Sunquest, I just got back last night (Feb. 24). As of Feb. 14th they are no longer offering compensation to anyone who booked at the resort. We couldn't get an answer fromt he rep down there as to why this is the case as the hotel is clearly not even close to being finished.

I don't have much time right now but I plan on giving a detailed construction update as soon as possible.

canadafan

Jan 31, 2004
Cabarete Bay Hotel

Got back from two wonderful weeks at Cabarete Bay Hotel on Feb 24th. The entire new pool won't be done for awhile...they are having trouble with it retaining water. Half of the new pool is opened and we played water volleyball in it last week. They opened the orange building while we were there as they had a large group bumped from the Sosua hotel. Lots of construction going on..we got one week at the hotel that must be used by next year this time. The location of this hotel is excellent...within the city of Cabarete. Ignore the construction and you'll have a great time..the beach is outstanding.

ROBOMASTER42

Mar 8, 2004
Robomaster

Cemoriall said:
Hi Ginger,
i currently have alot of pics, and can upload more if there is interest.
For anyone who's interested, private message me ur email if you are on msn messenger and i can send them to you more quickly

i just uploaded about 8 pics onto this site's media gallary and the site just said that the pics will be up 'as soon as possible'

HI I AM BOOKED AT THIS PLACE APRIL 3
WOULD LOVE ANY ADDITIONAL INFO AND IF YOU COULD
SEND YOU PICS I WOULD BE GIVING THANKS.

ron.hobson@quickiestores.com

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Hi Mary and Harry

mjkalau said:
Hi Sharon.
Mary here from Kithener.
Was having trouble hooking into one of your posts. Haven't heard anything from anyone since yours and my last posts. As I said in my post I sent an e-mail to Sunquest Customer Service. I also e-mailed Carolle today to hear anything new.
Did you finally get to talk to a real person? What is the current status as you know it.
Thanks Mary and Harry

Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I have been ultra busy. I have just changed jobs and have been swamped. I have been in contact with the agent who booked my trip and she said that it usually takes 8 weeks for problems to be sorted out. This is standard with any tour operator. Anyway, today, I received an email from the agent asking me to contact her. She said she has good news. Unfortunately I wasn't able to contact her before she left so I will try to touch base with her tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to what she says. Judging by the fact that her email was titled "good news" makes me think that Sunquest has come up with a solution to the problem. Let me know if you hear anything from your agent.

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Cabarete Bay Hotel / Sunquest Compensation

palmtree said:
Hi,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I have been ultra busy. I have just changed jobs and have been swamped. I have been in contact with the agent who booked my trip and she said that it usually takes 8 weeks for problems to be sorted out. This is standard with any tour operator. Anyway, today, I received an email from the agent asking me to contact her. She said she has good news. Unfortunately I wasn't able to contact her before she left so I will try to touch base with her tomorrow. I'll keep you posted as to what she says. Judging by the fact that her email was titled "good news" makes me think that Sunquest has come up with a solution to the problem. Let me know if you hear anything from your agent.

To Mary and Harry and whoever stayed at the Cabarete Bay Hotel during the week of January 26 to Feb 2...... my agent received a letter from the resort as well as Sunquest saying "Congratulations, this letter entitles you to a free stay at the Cabarete bay Resort" My agent sent it right back to Sunquest and asked them to specify how long the stay was for. She said that as the letter stands it doesn't specify the length of time we're allowed to stay free. For all we know it could be only 1 night's stay. She has asked for specifics. Hopefully the revised letter will be arriving shortly. Has anyone else received this letter from Sunquest?

guy_davis

Jan 3, 2004
www.guydavis.ca
ROBOMASTER42 said:
HI I AM BOOKED AT THIS PLACE APRIL 3
WOULD LOVE ANY ADDITIONAL INFO AND IF YOU COULD
SEND YOU PICS I WOULD BE GIVING THANKS.

Ron, I just returned from a stay at this resort. Take a look at the <a href="http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193715#post193715">report</a> I posted in this forum. The report also has a link to a number of photos I took of the resort. Let me know if you have any questions.

Guy

Kassandra

Feb 2, 2004
Gift Certificate Confirmation

Hi everyone..I just received my "Gift Certificate" from Azzurro Club Cabarete today...I will post most of the info I was given from the Starz Resort..

"you have been entitled a complimentary return stay (hotel portion) for yoru next holiday at Azzurro Club Cabarete.

This certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue. To claim the certificate, reservations must be made in advance. Confirmation is subject to availability. This letter will be requested at the time of booking.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Azzurro Club Cabarete, extremely fun."

Sincerely yours,

Marie Estrella
Director of sales...

Please sign with name and date:

By signing this letter, we agree that we will not seek any future compensation.

Has anyone else gotten the comfirmation? I have seen pictures of the finished work at the hotel..its fabulous..

palmtree

Dec 20, 2003
Cabarete Bay/ Sunquest Compensation

I received the same offer but my agent sent it back to Sunquest because she wanted them to clarify the length of stay that we've been offered. This is too vague. I also want to mention that the original offer from the resort included all taxes, drinks, food, etc as well as a stay at the hotel. Does this one mention any of these things or is it only offering a stay at the hotel? My agent wants specifics. I'll let you know what we find out.

Kassandra said:
Hi everyone..I just received my "Gift Certificate" from Azzurro Club Cabarete today...I will post most of the info I was given from the Starz Resort..

"you have been entitled a complimentary return stay (hotel portion) for yoru next holiday at Azzurro Club Cabarete.

This certificate is valid for two years from the date of issue. To claim the certificate, reservations must be made in advance. Confirmation is subject to availability. This letter will be requested at the time of booking.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Azzurro Club Cabarete, extremely fun."

Sincerely yours,

Marie Estrella
Director of sales...

Please sign with name and date:

By signing this letter, we agree that we will not seek any future compensation.

Has anyone else gotten the comfirmation? I have seen pictures of the finished work at the hotel..its fabulous..

Kassandra

Feb 2, 2004
To Palmtree

palmtree said:
I received the same offer but my agent sent it back to Sunquest because she wanted them to clarify the length of stay that we've been offered. This is too vague. I also want to mention that the original offer from the resort included all taxes, drinks, food, etc as well as a stay at the hotel. Does this one mention any of these things or is it only offering a stay at the hotel? My agent wants specifics. I'll let you know what we find out.
Thanks for the post....(this is your partner in not taking the request in Cabarete) Good points you made about the length of stay ect..will request verification from Sunquest...