Taino Descendants: Dead or Alive?

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah, oral history and folk practices are great when it comes to tracing things like this. Family histories are also very valuable.... If Taino ties are found then DNA evidence can substantiate the claims......BUT the biggest problem in Latin American anthropology is funding for such things.....remember, when such research takes place, the target population consists of marginalized people.....so its very hard to get funding for such endeavours, the Tainos are treated as an historic people.....their legacy is accepted only in that they are relegated to the world of myth and history....This attitude creates a lot of problems. This is pretty much the state of Latin American anthropology.....

Cultural evidence substantiated by genetic evidence would be the ideal situation....it would definitely substantiate data. But I don't believe this is realistic for now.....even if the study posted on here goes through, it will be heavilly disputed because it uses so few individuals as a target population. Thats the problem with MTDNA research these days, its debated because of the low number of people tested, and not many people are tested because of the cost of the research....

They actually even did some MTDNA tests on Neanderthals in Croatia, but the research was never taken seriously because of the low number of remains tested....the research was aimed at seeing whether anatomicaly modern humans are related genetically to Neanderthals, and whether there was displacement or genetic continuity in the region.......the results were shady, the small test sample wasn't really able to be taken seriously because there were very wide differences between them....so how do we know what the differences would be with a larger population.

so its a tricky thing when we deal with genetics and ethnic origins.....With Taino ancestry, the amount of Taino ancestry would taint the test results and since there would surely be wide variances in a small group......the end results wouldn't be any breakthrough.....

The out of Africa theory is being constantly changed, the number of years ago keeps being pushed back.......some new studies say about 200.000 years ago! There were tools found dating to about 3 million years ago......so the hominid record keeps getting pushed back further and further..... But with anatomically modern humans, the out of Africa theory is in heavy debate...... Its agreed that hominids most likely originated in Africa some 5 million years ago, and that by 4 million years ago they spread across Asia....and by 2 million into Europe.....the thing is that once the early hominids were out of Africa, it gets more complicated.......

Some believe in displacement theory, that modern humans came from Africa and displaced the earlier hominids, others that the early hominids evolved into regional varieties of modern humans, and others believe a combination of both occurred......

But all of the approaches are fascinating, I tend to go with the regional variation approach......simply because I don't think enough genetic variety over time would be probable with the displacement theory.....it doesn't seem realistic, a closely related genetic group with no outside genes would not make it more than 60 generations.....the population at the time was pretty low, and so I question displacement.......plus, there are some signs of regional continuity......especially in the chinese fossil record, homo erectus had shovel shaped incisors and square shaped eye sockets and so do present day east Asians......similar traits continue in other populations........

But yeah, back to the topic..... I think Taino ancestry is there.....its obvious in some faces, if its in the Haitian interior it has to be in the Dominican interior as well.....because the historical processes there were the same, when runaway slaves went into the interior many of them interbred with the Tainos, many times it wasn't a harmonious relationship......there were accounts of runaway slaves raping Taino women.......so we can't idealize how Taino ancestry came to be......but its definitely there.

I'm sure studies like those of Haitian interior dialects would also reveal Taino influence on the Dominican side of the border....... Its sad that not enough research exists, but on the other hand its also positive in that there is so much left to do!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Didn't anybody here take statistics? We are talking basic numbers here people. At best we are looking at 24 generations since there was anybody of indigenous blood on the Island.
Dominican's love to claim ancestry from other places or peoples. Many claim Indigenous blood for reasons beyond my understanding. Why would anybody be proud of that anyway?
Perhaps we would be better served discussing Self-Esteem and the Dominican people?

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican people vary.....There are remnants of Lebanese and Syrian immigrants, Japanese, Spanish Jews, Spaniards......

Even the black population varies......you have the ancestors of former slaves from the US who comprise the small Protestant minority, Haitians, and the Africans who were slaves in the DR.....

In Haiti, at Cazales there is a group of people who are black, but are Polish culturally as they are the remnants of the Polish legion Napoleon sent there in 1802.....

Dominican self esteem is just fine.......

When one population displaces another, the former does not dissappear......it becomes acculturated, miscegenation occurs, and consequent cultural genocide, however the genes are well and alive.......

The DR has been populated since some 5.000 BCE by peoples who came from the Venezuelan coast.....the Tainos started their migrations to the Caribbean islands some 2.500 BCE and displaced the earlier inhabitants through acculturation.....the processes continue.

It is extremely naive to believe that one population displaces another through pure genocide.....except for the US and Australia where this has been done partially, it is not a viable trend.

Yes, it has been a long time since Tainos dominated the island, however, their legacy remains genetically, culturally, linguistically, and archaeologically........check out the Museo del Hombre Dominicano in SD......

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
diablorojo said:

Yes, it has been a long time since Tainos dominated the island, however, their legacy remains genetically, culturally, linguistically, and archaeologically........check out the Museo del Hombre Dominicano in SD......

That is my point. It is a Legacy. Only to be found in books and museums.

"Dominican self esteem is just fine......."

Who are you kidding? This is a country where Black people deny their race. "I'm not black! Haitians are Black". A country where they Idolize a Liars and cheats. Ever Heard of Sammy Sosa? They even run out into the streets in celebration when some bimbo wins a beauty pagent.

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
The Taino legacy is not found only in museums and books.....In Haiti some of the highland dialects retain grammatical as well as lexical elements of Taino......if studies were done, I'm sure such elements would be found on the Dominican side of the border as well.

Arawak means "eaters of yuca" and yuca is still eaten today! The use of pepper.....there is a Taino legacy which is very living.....

Some Haitian Vodoun practices retain Taino traditions as well as African...... look at the whole island....not just the DR to look for Taino remnants....

That is my point. It is a Legacy. Only to be found in books and museums.

The situation of black identity in the DR is problematic....this is a remnant of the Trujillo regime and its "hispanidad" ......during those times there were no blacks, just indios morenos..... ;) What do you expect when a country that is predominantly black......I cound darker mulatos as black.....views Spanish culture as the ideal??? Plus, it was all political motivation more than dealing with race actually.......Duvalier established noirisme as the national ideology of Haiti.....if notions of "black is beautiful" and pride in African heritage reached the DR, the mulato and white castes would lose out, and perhaps a road would be paved to unite the island......who knows......but in order to differentiate the DR even more from Haiti, a different ideology had to develop.....the purpose of hispanidad was to counter the noirisme of Haiti...

Yes, there need to be changes in this.....the stigma of slavery and African roots needs to be gotten rid of....

Amelia Vega is not a bimbo.....she's an example of Dominican beauty and elegance to the world! What better embassador can we have than the most beautiful woman in the world :)?

As far as Sammy Sosa goes.....I don't care for beisbol that much....nor for him...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
diablorojo said:

Arawak means "eaters of yuca" and yuca is still eaten today! The use of pepper.....there is a Taino legacy which is very living.....

Amelia Vega is not a bimbo.....she's an example of Dominican beauty and elegance to the world! What better embassador can we have than the most beautiful woman in the world :)?

As far as Sammy Sosa goes.....I don't care for beisbol that much....nor for him...

I ate a Hamburger today. Does that mean I am embracing a German legacy?

Except for a few words and shards of pottery there is nothing left of a people who are best forgotten.

Amelia Vega has done nothing! She is attractive. So? I see many women, both dominican and non-Dominican every day who are not only more attractive but contribute to society. The Bimbo hasn't even graduated High School yet and she is 19!!!! She was an embarrasment at the latin Grammys.
She is not the most beautiful woman in the world. She is the winner of a competition that is judged by a pannel of b-list celeberties.
What is she an ambassador of? White, Spoiled, Nuevo Rico Dominicans?
Can't you think of any other Dominicans to be proud of?

At least we agree about Sammy!

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
A hamburger isn't a German food.......the name yes, the food know......its one of those things....who invented the minced meat patty??? The tradition of yuca in th DR, of pepper, of the cultivation of native fruits and vegetables.....that is a remnant of Taino culture.......the words they left behind, and the genes.....are reason enough to not forget them.

Why are Tainos best forgotten??? Theyrepresent 4.000 years of the nation's history.....

Amelia Vega has done a lot of good.....for one, at least people in the US, where the Dominican immigrants do not have the best reputation see something other than an uneducated black person.......and she is a beautiful woman....I agree about the pageant however, I have seen more beautiful women! BUT out of the contestants....she was the best......she's not stupid.....she was completing high school when she won.....she wants to go on to study television production...

The Latin Grammys are nothing.....a contest in the US for "stars" that don't even speak proper Spanish or are has beens in the Latin world or try to "crossover" .....I have no respect for them. Jennifer Lopez sound horrible when she speaks Spanish with an American accent and claims to be a "latin woman".....Shakira and Paulina Rubio sound awkward in English....

There are plenty of Dominicans who have done great things and who to be proud of!!!

Nicol?s de Ovando, Francisco de Bobadilla,Pedro Santana Familias, Juan Pablo Duarte..Desiderio Arias ...Jaime Colson, Luis Desangles, Juan Bosch, Rafael Molina Ure?a, Francisco Camaa?o.....Aurelio Oller...... You see, the DR has more than merengue singers and baseball players!!

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
Tainos in the DR

Guys, Juan Luis Guerra is the man to talk to about this topic.
In his CD Areitos he wrote a song called < Naboria Daca MayaniMacana.

I am sure he did a lot a research to come up with those Tainos words and put that song together.

I once visited el Rincon in Samana, and from there when to a place named Laguna Salada, up in the moutains around there.

I swear tha up to these days the faces of a family I saw there must be direct Tainos blood.

There are some Siboneyes left in Cuba, even though they are not direct blood, the Cuban government funded the anthrpologists to the study, and it was according to them proven they are.

I once bought a set of books sold by the Banco de Reservas in Nagua ( while I visiting the DR) and found lots good info about this.

According to historian, Tainos came fron South America by cayucos. They settled in Puerto Rico ( Boriquas), Cuba ( Siboney), and the DR ( Quisqueya, tainos)

Aj

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Nice site, Jan.
I take it back. It's fantastic! Almost convinced that the "gua" in "guagua" and "ai" in "aguaita" and other local pronunciations are just the tip of the iceberg linguistically.
Wow!
mk

Last edited:

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
Gracias Jan

Thanks Jan,
Much appreciated.

Something else to read and learn for sure.

Cheers

Aj

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
from Smithsonian National Museum of American Indian

Jan that link was excellent!

For those of you interested in your Taino heritage, last night I emailed Jorge Estevez who works with the above organization. Talk about tireless dedication-- he already wrote back! He read the messages on this thread, and here is his response:

Dear Dawn,
Thank you so much for your interest in our Culture, and please do not feel bad for not having knowledge of such things, most of us from the Dominican Republic don't know much either!
I will try to answer some of your questions regarding Taino survival from my own point of view. When you have a chance please visit

http://www.kacike.org/NMAIReview.html

Also since I am not a member of DR1
you may convey my response to your query to the DR1 List.

Okay! I checked out some of the responses that people on the list gave and I find it surpising how most agree that there are Dominicans in certain locations with marked Indian features, yet do not see this as survival or rather a continuance of Taino bloodlines and culture.

When dealing with questions of purity things can get very tricky and the conversations very aggressive. The Ancestors of my Taino ancestors were a mixed blood people to begin with. Indians coming from the yucatan region and possibly from florida, were the first to reach the Caribbean islands. Later, waves of Arawakan speaking people began making their way from the Orinoco River basin to the islands. It was the mixture of these different ethnic groups that began what we call today the Taino. It seems at though the islands have always been a "melting pot" of peoples.

The Spanish who first came to the islands brought no women with them, and the records of that period indicate that 40% of all the "recognized" wives of the Spanish men were Taino women.
It has been estimated that for every 3 African men brought to the caribbean as slaves, only one woman survived the long arduous trip from Africa and as a result, one of the preoccupations that runaway African men had was capturing Indian women.
So it should not be surpring as to why we have so much Taino culture left on the island. Recent mitachondrial DNA studies done in the Dominican Republic and in Puerto Rico have revealed amazing results. Amazing only if you believe Spanish accounts of total Taino Termination.

IN Puerto Rico out of 800 Samples, 62 percent had Taino Indian DNA sequencing. IN the DR only 95 samples were gathered in two days. Of these 95, 27 percent cent had Taino markers. Since our populations is close to nine million people, and this test was limited, one could expect to find even higher numbers, especially if these were conducted in the Cibao region. Again this was Mitachondrial , which only is passed down through the mothers line, Y chromosone (male) studies have not yet been done (although I heard of one such study from Haiti where 5 phenotypically African men all tested poitive for Taino DNA!)

What does this all mean? Well it seems that we have to take a closer look at the "historical facts" and carefully scrutinize why these "facts" and the DNA evidence are not matching.
Upon close inspection of the historical records one finds that the Spanish of that time period had no classification for these mixed blood peoples and labled them according to status. The term Mestizo (indian and white mix) did not come into use until 1582, 87 years after contact!
The Spanish also exaggerated claims of Indian demise as a way of not having to pay taxes for them as has been cited by historian DR.Lynne Guitar.

One can find contradictory passages such as "the indians in trying to flee from the Spanish, burnt their fields and ran off into the mountains. But this backfired on them and they mostly starved". Yet we are told that the Africans did escape as well into the mountains.......yet somehow survived better than the people that had been living there for thousands of years!
It is not surprising whatsoever that we have hundreds of Taino words in our DR Spanish, and that most place names have Taino names. Words like chin-chin are taino. Did you know that of the 55 rivers we have in the DR only 3 have spanish names? Not bad for an extinct people aye?

Today we have lots of different mixes of people, just as it was thousands of years ago when Taino culture first came into being. I love everything about my country from Indigenous survival and continuance to the unique African cultures that persist there to this day. One thing though, I see both African and Spanish influence as part of a process that began a long time ago. The roots however of our island are Indigenous, that is why no matter how many academics have tried to stamp it out, it persists. Perhaps this is why Dominicans have always gravitated towards the indian (el afan nacional), not simply because of prejudice towards haitians, but because of some deep rooted notion that we are and always have been........from Quisqueya.

PLease visit the website below and I have also attached a picture of me and a Papago Indian friend on his reservation in Arizona. I have lots of pictures of Dominicans with strikingly Indian features in my collection. If you need more info I can send you some via snail mail.
Hope this helps!
Jorge
http://www.kacike.org/NMAIReview.html

Jorge Estevez (Taino)
National Museum of the American Indian
One Bowling Green
New York, NY 10004
Tele-(212)514-3716
Fax-(212)514-3803

He added in a PS:

Oh one more thing i forgot to add Dawn, if 27% percent Native DNA is the total for the of the island, then out of nearly 9 million Dominicans, 2.4 million have Taino genes!
Studies done in the 1950's in the DR using A-B-0 Groups and RH fatcors also indicated that there is Native Lineage in there.
Ciao
Jorge

Isn't this excellent! I am trying to figure out how to post the jpeg picture he sent... not sure how to do so. D

Last edited:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I don't know about Dr. Lynne Guitar, but given that Jorges is from the DR, perhaps ...? She does sound interesting.

Pib... what's amazing is that I don't know him at all; I saw his name on the website Jan posted, and sent him an e-mail. He must be very dedicated to this work. Actually, it must be more a passion ... a nice thing in life, to work from one's passion!

I take it you are suggesting that I email Robert the jpeg as an attachment? Thanks, I will try it. D

edit in:

hmm... well, there is no place to add an attachment if I send 'email' by way of the pm pages here. This is probably a simple thing to do, but I am computer tech challenged. :) D

Last edited:

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
OK, here is what I think of the very interesting post Dawn made, it was really good to read :)!

I kind of disagree with some of the things though, from what I have learned the first people to inhabit the DR were from the Amazon basin, just as the Tainos and Arawaks.....they settled about 5.000 BCE, and the Taino and Arawak waves started to come around 2.500 BCE onwards.....there were also frequent but smaller migrations of the more warlike Caribs who also left their genes.....

Again, I don't buy the MTDNA studies.......800 people out of some 2 or so million Puertoricans in the world ......and also, it depends on the regions they came from, etc.....how good of a sample was it really....

The DR estimate is even less reliable......it presumes that EVERYONE is a product of miscegenation.......

So while I don't believe the studies give a clear picture of how much Taino genes there are in the DR or anywhere else for that matter........the positive outcome of the research is that we can safely say that yes, Taino genes are present in the population and that the Tainos suffered more of a cultural genocide rather than a physical one.....

The term mestizo was used since the very beginning......censuses were not taken til about 60 years after contact though.....but marriage records, and everything exist.....

Place names usually survive and they are what linguists study when dealing with "extinct" groups.......

The roots of the nation are Spanish, Amerindian, and African.....all three have a very important role, to stress one over the other is a denial of the importance which all play in who we are...... When we divide it further, some people may be any one(except Amerindian), or a combination of all 3......To glorify one over any other is to deny our complete heritage.......But we have to realize that we owe Spain the most for who and what we are.....our names, language, most of our culture.....religion.....its the Spanish inheritence which unites us above all else I think......

The A, B, O studies do not mean much......before DNA came along people thought you could get anything from blood.....the RH factors are a better tool, but still.....they are so spread out and sample sizes so small its not safe to presume things when dealing with the entire population of a country......thats why you always have to say how many people you are talking about, where, and how they differ and are alike to people from the same country but different regions......such complete tests have only been done in Europe and some Pacific Islands and Australia so far......

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just recieved this from Lynne

"anyone with questions or comments is welcome to write to me directly, here at my personal address. Tell them my qualifications: Two BA's (history and anthropology) from Michigan State Univ. and an MA and Ph.D. in history and anthro from Vanderbilt Univ. My research focuses on Taino history and culture, 16th-century Hispaniola, and Dominican popular culture. The most controversial aspect of my work is that I have found tons of documentary evidence (court testimony, royal correspondence, population surveys, tax records...) that prove beyond a doubt that the "extinction" of the Taino is a myth begun in the early colonial era, that 10-20 percent of the Tainos DID survive the conquest in a variety of ways, and that the original population of the Taino was far higher than usually stated, which means that a 10-20 percent survival was not an insignificant number."lynneguitar@yahoo.com

Apr 26, 2002
I'm confused. The naked eye tells us that Taino bloodlines have survived, but not independently, and that the tribal culture was destroyed. Do we agree that there are no pure Tainos left? If so, aren't you really all debating, then, whether the Tainos completely intermixed with the Europeans and Africans later rather than sooner?

I always get a little queesy when people focus on the Tainos. Yes, it's interesting to know the extent to which their blood and culture survives. And the research on the myth of early Taino extinction is facinating. But surviving Taino culture is a shadow of the powerful influence of African culture on the DR, and I always feel like attempts to emphasize the Taino side by, for example, having people hold themselves out as modern Dominican tribal Tainos, are part of the anti-African "Enriquillo" cult that has all mulatos called "indios". In other words, I see no value in the "back to Taino" movement because of its implied anti-Africanism. I would prefer a pro-Dominican movement that focuses on the Dominican people as a unique mix of three cultures.

Last edited: