taxi in santo domingo at night safe????

hollyberrys720

Feb 6, 2007
im a young female who is going to be visiting in a few weeks with a couple of friends
we are staying in juan dolio and i was wondering if we took a taxi to santo domingo to go to a disco would it be safe to get a taxi back late at night??
and could anyone recomend any good places to go to dance??

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you can probably have your hotel arrange for someone to bring you in and take you home. probably a good idea if you havent been there before.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Taxis are a good mode of transportation in Santo Domingo. Call one of the reputable companies, National or Apollo. When you call they will tell you the color of the taxi they are sending. Make sure the one that arrives is that color. The frequency they dispatch over is free and a theif can listen in and arrive in his car posing as the taxi. Keeping that in mind, you should have no problems. A short ride in SD is 100 to 120 pesos. I long one is 140 to 150 maximum and that is for a trip over 30 minutes.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think the op is looking to take a taxi to and from juan dolio no? I have noticed that there is always a friend of the hotel owner who is usualy available for taxi services and/or to guide a newbie into the city. (no..not el tigres...but a trustworthy associate of the hotel). It is just a suggestion. If she is traveling with a friend they can negotiate a flat fee for the car and service. It might be worth it since they are new and dont know their way around....and well..i dont know if they speak spanish.

hollyberrys720

Feb 6, 2007
thank you and no not much spanish
does anybody know any good spot to go to
im 23 so i was looking for a disco with people around my age????

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
mind you...you are going to have to pay for the service to and from the city. Not much for real night life where you are staying.

I still dont know what i am going to do in a couple weeks..when its 2 am and i dont feel like going to bed.

I would suggests some clubs in SD...but i have a feeling my taste in clubs might be different than yours. There is always that club that is in huge cave. Is that still going and sorta hip? or is it just a tourist place?

Pick up the latest copy of Rough Guide....some good tips there (my copy is sorta old).

Platano Drifter

Feb 7, 2007
what i usually do is get their card and try and use the same cab alot if i cant get ahold of a friend this way you feel safer and you dont worry so much but its always good to use a well know taxi company

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
From Juan Dolio the taxi co's have 'package' deals that will take you to SD, wait 3 hrs for you then bring you back.
As someone who lives in JD I find their rates high........
This week I travelled to JD and back to SD via the Plaza de la Salud taxi service and paid RD$1000 per trip. Problem is you have to be brought to JD by them before they can pick you up in JD.
So........
Make sure you 'bargain' before and agree on a price with the taxi driver.....