Test your Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
If you want to know your level of Spanish here are a few simplified tests. I say this because I think more testing is needed to make a complete assessment but at least this could give you an idea of your grammar level.

This is based on the European evaluation system of testing one’s level of language. A1, A2 = beginner, B1, B2= Intermediate and C1= advanced

You can do it for fun or if you want to assess yourself with the goal of improving. Maybe this can help determine how to begin and what resources you need to start or move forward.

As well, this test is from Cervantes Escuela Internacional in Spain 🇪🇸 therefore reputable 👍

Have fun!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you want to know your level of Spanish here are a few simplified tests. I say this because I think more testing is needed to make a complete assessment but at least this could give you an idea of your grammar level.

This is based on the European evaluation system of testing one’s level of language. A1, A2 = beginner, B1, B2= Intermediate and C1= advanced

You can do it for fun or if you want to assess yourself with the goal of improving. Maybe this can help determine how to begin and what resources you need to start or move forward.

As well, this test is from Cervantes Escuela Internacional in Spain 🇪🇸 therefore reputable 👍

Have fun!

Thanks 🙏

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Okay I did the tests all the way to C1…. One error I made is directly related to the fact that it’s Spanish from Spain. Vosotros verb conjugations are not used in Latin America. I had to choose the command form for one of the verbs. I guessed. I was wrong…I would never use that verb form but rather Ustedes instead.

I had two other errors that I think while speaking no one would catch but in writing….they got me.

My overall result was:

¡Enhorabuena! Has conseguido superar el nivel Avanzado.

Then it asks me if I want to sign up for a personalized C1 course.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Okay I did the tests all the way to C1…. One error I made is directly related to the fact that it’s Spanish from Spain. Vosotros verb conjugations are not used in Latin America. I had to choose the command form for one of the verbs. I guessed. I was wrong…I would never use that verb form but rather Ustedes instead.

I had two other errors that I think while speaking no one would catch but in writing….they got me.

My overall result was:

¡Enhorabuena! Has conseguido superar el nivel Avanzado.

Then it asks me if I want to sign up for a personalized C1 course.
I, too, had two errors: questions 45 and 51.
Missed one, shame on me; missed two, shame on me again (I can't miss again).

Shame on me, as it's my native language.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I, too, had two errors: questions 45 and 51.
Missed one, shame on me; missed two, shame on me again (I can't miss again).

Shame on me, as it's my native language.

Nothing to be shamed about IMHO. Two errors on a grammar test with 50 or more questions is excellent.

All speakers make mistakes. Native speakers in any language make grammatical errors and these types of tests are proof that grammar is a challenge even for the best of speakers.

Native and bilingual speakers (C1/ C2 level ) tend to have the best command but still make mistakes. It depends on factors like education, how much a person reads, their social circle etc.

Conversational and casual speakers usually just want to communicate without regard to how they speak. It could be grammatically correct or not.

Now you knock yourself for two errors but if you ask a clerk at a grocery store in DR or a colmado how much you want to bet me that person would be challenged even at the A1 and A2 level and being a native Spanish speaker?

When I have a moment I am going to review the grammar point that I got wrong on the C1 test. I had my results emailed to me and it shows the error. I am going to look it up.

Honestly, I thought the tests were a good review of some grammar points. After reading all types of web info daily and especially social media that is where you see how poorly people communicate. It’s absolutely horrendous.

Just this weekend alone I came cross words like:

jente instead of gente
haciento instead of asiento
haci instead of así
dijistes instead of dijiste

The list goes on.

People do not know the difference between ay/ allí/ hay

Wow….did those folks go to school?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Nothing to be shamed about IMHO. Two errors on a grammar test with 50 or more questions is excellent.

All speakers make mistakes. Native speakers in any language make grammatical errors and these types of tests are proof that grammar is a challenge even for the best of speakers.

Native and bilingual speakers (C1/ C2 level ) tend to have the best command but still make mistakes. It depends on factors like education, how much a person reads, their social circle etc.

Conversational and casual speakers usually just want to communicate without regard to how they speak. It could be grammatically correct or not.

Now you knock yourself for two errors but if you ask a clerk at a grocery store in DR or a colmado how much you want to bet me that person would be challenged even at the A1 and A2 level and being a native Spanish speaker?

When I have a moment I am going to review the grammar point that I got wrong on the C1 test. I had my results emailed to me and it shows the error. I am going to look it up.

Honestly, I thought the tests were a good review of some grammar points. After reading all types of web info daily and especially social media that is where you see how poorly people communicate. It’s absolutely horrendous.

jente instead of gente
haci instead of así

The list goes on.

Que ace
Lasienaga
Orible
A ora
El mimo culso
Lose
Conceguir

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I did the test at the same time as a 10 year old native.
We both failed on B2. I got 7 right, he got 5. We needed 8 to advance......😭😭.

Thanks for the link❤️

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

jente instead of gente
haci instead of así

The list goes on.

¡Ay! Ahí si hay.

I've had that same conversation with a couple of friends: "Did they go to school? Do they care how they are perceived?"

At the risk of sounding like a pedantic know-it-all wannabe, I refuse to give a pass to Dominican educators, communicators, and so-called "periodistas" and news reporters.
One thing is for Joe Public to disregard grammar rules or unable to come up with an example of pretérito pluscumaperfecto and another thing for a communicator who sends a twit with all manner of punctuation and grammatical errors.

Imagine:

"How old is your dad?"

"Mi papa tiene 60 anos".

"Your potato has 60 what?"

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I did the test at the same time as a 10 year old native.
We both failed on B2. I got 7 right, he got 5. We needed 8 to advance......😭😭.

Thanks for the link❤️

You’re welcome.

You both tried. I think the tests are fair and can give you an idea of where you stand in Spanish.

It’s one thing to speak and the other is to speak correctly. You were close.

Keep learning.

Reactions: malko

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You’re welcome.

You both tried. I think the tests are fair and can give you an idea of where you stand in Spanish.

It’s one thing to speak and the other is to speak correctly. You were close.

Keep learning.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed that my Spanish is equivalent to a 10 year old Dominican lol 😆.

It was to be expected though as I never have studied Spanish ......

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have to say I was a bit disappointed that my Spanish is equivalent to a 10 year old Dominican lol 😆.

It was to be expected though as I never have studied Spanish ......

It’s okay. You tried and you acknowledge now where you stand in Spanish. I say maybe it’s an incentive to start learning the language formally.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
¡Ay! Ahí si hay.

I've had that same conversation with a couple of friends: "Did they go to school? Do they care how they are perceived?"

At the risk of sounding like a pedantic know-it-all wannabe, I refuse to give a pass to Dominican educators, communicators, and so-called "periodistas" and news reporters.
One thing is for Joe Public to disregard grammar rules or unable to come up with an example of pretérito pluscumaperfecto and another thing for a communicator who sends a twit with all manner of punctuation and grammatical errors.

Imagine:

"How old is your dad?"

"Mi papa tiene 60 anos".

"Your potato has 60 what?"

I think you are right about Dominican educators, writers, journalists etc. I feel like when I read something from a Dominican source I do not know what I am going to get. The command of the language is not there.

Accents are part of the Spanish language. Writing words without them is incorrect spelling. The different forms of communication on the Internet are considered informal and writing without accents on words is acceptable but in formal writing such as journalism accents are required. A newspaper article that has words without the accents where they belong is considered poorly written in my book.

I write with the accents in my emails, texts, message board communication, Instagram etc. because it’s part of the language and I understand what words and verbs require an accent in Spanish. I am not guessing. Many people who write in the language I assure you do not know what words require an accent and/or rely on spell check. Anyone can miss one sometimes or the spellchecker adds them incorrectly and you don’t catch it when proofreading. That happens but an article or literature without the accents in Spanish is not correct. In university, I know some professors give you back your essay to correct it within 24 hours meaning to add the accents or else the assignment is marked as incomplete.

To add to your examples these words have a different meaning with or without the accent (called la tilde ).

Mama/ mamá- that’s a difference.

Se/ sé - quite a difference in meaning

Te/ té - two completely different words.

Reactions: Lucifer

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I meant to write pluscuamperfecto.

Yes, I realized what you meant. Many people often confuse the names of the verb tenses.

El pretérito = the preterite ( or simple past tense ) Example, hablé- I spoke

El pluscuamperfecto = the pluperfect. Example, (Yo) había hablado - I had spoken