The Best Place to Buy Electronics in the DR

What are the best/most popular stores to buy electronics in the DR?

• ElectroLama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sirena

• Other Dominican brick and mortar stores

• Total voters

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
US model numbers/parts for appliances in general usually cannot be sourced in the DR. That is because the same look alike model in the DR is in fact different/inferior in many ways.

I have imported several appliances from the US for personal use. By way of example, two used refrigerators imported circa 2005 and 2012 (both bought new by me in the US) are still going strong in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Would you say the same thing for laptops and/or tablets? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2004
Would you say the same thing for laptops and/or tablets? Thanks.
Good question...........and I do not have a definitive answer.

If the model number is the same, then I would think the components are the same as well......the exception being if you can configure a certain model to your specifications i.e., larger storage/speedier chips, etc.

Apple, while unique, does not to my knowledge make phones, ipads or other devices to fit certain country price points.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If you are going to buy a laptop do not buy it here. The models are mostly older than you would find elsewhere for twice the price. Bring it in..................
I would say Cecompsa in Bella Vista has a very good inventory. Unless you are doing data modeling or advanced gaming, anything you find there would be a win.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would say Cecompsa in Bella Vista has a very good inventory. Unless you are doing data modeling or advanced gaming, anything you find there would be a win.
I agree that Cecompsa is the best place to buy a laptop, except for the price. Check the model of the laptop you like and look on Amazon and Ebay and you will see what I am talking about...........

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree that Cecompsa is the best place to buy a laptop, except for the price. Check the model of the laptop you like and look on Amazon and Ebay and you will see what I am talking about...........
There is an accelerated import tax in aduanas for this type of equipment which would nullify the cost benefit of buying online.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is an accelerated import tax in aduanas for this type of equipment which would nullify the cost benefit of buying online.
Who said anything about buying it online? I said check the price online. I clearly said buy it out of the DR and bring it in.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You did say that. Pardon. Now let's talk about that plane ticket cost to go pick up my laptop :LOL:
I guess if you don't travel or know anyone that does your options are severely limited. Whatever you do don't send any laptop over $200 as you well know.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just bought a Ninja air fryer at Walmart in San Juan PR, 83 $US and Adunas taxes $40, so 103 dollars. Online the same one is $99-129 so with freight a lot more. Didn't mind ( too much) paying the tax but it took two f..king hours for them to process it. Good thing the taxi driver is a relative.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Just bought a Ninja air fryer at Walmart in San Juan PR, 83 $US and Adunas taxes $40, so 103 dollars. Online the same one is $99-129 so with freight a lot more. Didn't mind ( too much) paying the tax but it took two f..king hours for them to process it. Good thing the taxi driver is a relative.
Enjoy the air fryer sir

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep in mind that many items are sold at a higher price in PR than in the continental US. Many companies don’t allow PR’s to buy on their websites despite they have stores in PR. Obviously, the prohibition is because online they sell the same stuff for much less, enough to seriously affect sales in their brick and mortar stores in PR. These stores have a tendency of having the most sale in $$ than any of their stores in continental US. Keep in mind PR is poorer than any state in the US.

Depending on the product and company, you could be paying more buying from PR for the exact thing on sale in the rest of the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Keep in mind that many items are sold at a higher price in PR than in the continental US. Many companies don’t allow PR’s to buy on their websites despite they have stores in PR. Obviously, the prohibition is because online they sell the same stuff for much less, enough to seriously affect sales in their brick and mortar stores in PR. These stores have a tendency of having the most sale in $$ than any of their stores in continental US. Keep in mind PR is poorer than any state in the US.

Depending on the product and company, you could be paying more buying from PR for the exact thing on sale in the rest of the US.
But this wasn't the case, and the issue is the Dominican government overtaxing an item that cost less than 90 dollars, while at the same time ignoring the plants that my wife brough in.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Positive Information based on my personal experiences:
1. LG large refrigerator. Plaza Lama. First large purchase once I hit the island. No problems.
2. LG small refrigerator (Think 7 cu. ft.). Plaza Lama. No problems
3. Stove/Range do not remember the brand, Plaza Lama, it rusted out, was non functional when sold. But do not blame the appliance I blame the conditions the appliance had to operate under
4. 40" or 42" TV Sony Bavara, Plaza Lama, worst TV I have ever owned. Never to own a Sony ever again. Didn't last for 3 years. Could not get if fixed
5. Westinghouse 6 burner stove and oven, Plaza Lama, killer deal, still going strong, Hard to hit a temperature point in the stove. Had to buy a separate thermometer for that.
6 50" JVC HD smart TV, PriceSmart, excellent TV (note it is for the Latin American market)
7. 32" JVC HD smart TV, PriceSmart, excellent TV (note it is for the Latin American market)
8. White Westinghouse washing machine, Plaza Lama, excellent deal, one of the best washing machines I have ever owned.
9. HP inkjet printer, PriceSmart, other than being a inkjet (which I don't like) it has been a great printer. But I almost exclusively by HP printers. My history with them is they are like a combination of a tank and the energizer bunny. I have rarely replaced them and I have never had to get on repaired. I just buy new ones for new locations.
10. Samsung 32" monitor, PriceSmart, best monitor I have ever owned, receives input from my Mac mini which I hand carried to the DR too many years ago.
11. I bought a iPhone XR (used) from somewhere (don't know where) as I did not procure it. I was the same priced used as I could find online in my country of origin. Best phone I have ever owned.
12. I have bought one chrome books here. PriceSmart. I had also bought the exact same one. Yes I said exact same one. For the exact same price. Two years before in my country of origin.
13. I have owned several hotspots here in the DR. Never a problem. All from Altice.
14. Just bought a stove, can't remember the brand, for my new office, I bought it from Corripo. Killer deal. Don't know if it works yet. Still need to hook up up.

I tried carrying a 32" TV with me in my luggage. That did not go well. TSA destroyed the screen doing the inspection.
Initially after moving here I shipped in a 32" TV without a problem.

I would never buy a laptop for myself here, unless is was a complete emergency.
I have bought a new Huawel cellphone (Altice) here, no problems. Even though I am a Apple person my android phone works perfectly and does what I need it to do. I use it for business. It was an emergency purchase and I wanted to give a the middle finger to the person who was the President of my country of origin at the time. That was a little over two years ago.

I ship most of my small items in. I use DOMEX now and I just pay the cost of shipping to get what I want. I just shipped in a Black and Decker 5 cup coffee maker. I paid just as much to ship it here as did for the coffee maker. But I like the brand Black and Decker. Just used it for the first time today. Works great.

Rant below:
In my opinion, people who moved to a island in the carribean should:
1. Pay the costs to buy it here
2. Import what you want

But do not complain.

No reason to complain. I have everything I could want or buy (Except Bourbon and good outdoor cooking supplies). And when I don't I just wait for my next trip to my country of origin and buy what I want and hand carry it. Brings me happiness. For those concerned with those types of things.

My experiences do not invalidate the experiences of anyone else.
They are my own.
Buy where you like
Spend your money how you like.

LOL!