The Cat is out of the Bag

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Worm, Im glad you're still glowing, I have a wicked sense of humour, dont take me seriously, I laughed so much yesterday with this thread I only got 4 hrs sleep. xx Barby

and remember, the Lady's not for worming.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe it is because I am not British, but I don't see anything in Doug's thread that would cause anyone to miss sleep, and I certainly don't think he meant this to be a humorous thread.

Doug is a full member of the dr1 family. He and his wife have spent a lot of time in the DR, they have invested in a home here, they have attended our parties on the North Coast, and they have contributed a lot to the board based on their experience in the DR. His thread, I believe, was intended to let his many friends on dr1 know that he now has his own board name and would be seeing us soon.

For posters new to the board, especially those who don't yet have anything to offer about the DR because they haven't even been here, it is advisable not to post unless they have questions or something worthwhile to contribute. And never should any poster highjack somebody else's thread by getting it going down a different path than what was intended by the person who started the thread.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
When I first started reading DR1 I remember someone writing about how a few people can be quite nasty on here. Now I understand. I really dont know why you need to write such spiteful unkind remarks. If you would be King then learn to govern not just rule.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pay Your Dues"!

"Nasty,Spiteful,Unkind"? Had you been here 2 or 3 years ago,"Maybe"!
Ken even started the "DR Debates" Forum,so people could "Dabate",without personal insults!

Let me give you an "Example" since you can't seem to get the point here.

You have just got a new job.You don't know any of your co-workers,and have little,or no, real experience in the field.

On your first day at work,you come in and start telling everyone how things should be done.Making comments about people and company "Traditions" that you know nothing about!You are trying "Too Hard" to make a good impression!You want to be "One of the Gang" without being "Initiated"!You jump into every conversation without anything to say.

"Usually" new posters who Join DR1,and then try too hard to reach 500 posts are missing the point here! Think of it as a Big tub of really hot water,"Ease In",get used to the water,you will feel comfortable soon enough.And you won't splash too much water on those who are already "In The Tub"!

There are lots of "Bullshit" detectors here,try not to set them all off!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

:cool:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Here's two ways this could be solved:

1. Make a section of the board (eg living) private, usable only to select users. This could even be a pay feature, as they do on webmaster world.

2. Make a section of the board write only for select users. That way outsiders can still see what we talk about, but we have a space where they can't post.

In both instances, new users could be given permissions to these once they've reached a certain level (or pay).

It is a little weird when anyone can come in and take over - yet they don't understand anything about our lives here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
Here's two ways this could be solved:

1. Make a section of the board (eg living) private, usable only to select users. This could even be a pay feature, as they do on webmaster world.

2. Make a section of the board write only for select users. That way outsiders can still see what we talk about, but we have a space where they can't post.

In both instances, new users could be given permissions to these once they've reached a certain level (or pay).

It is a little weird when anyone can come in and take over - yet they don't understand anything about our lives here.

Changes are in the air and some will involve US$.
The days of a free ride on DR1's back will soon be gone along with the ability for people to crash and burn posting.

When I have more to share, I will share...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Looking forward, Robert, to find out what the changes are. Especially the pay schedule for the contributors on whom the board depends.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I personally wouldn't mind paying a subscription fee or something of that nature to access DR1. Look at all the info I have gotten over the last couple of years for free! I feel like I owe SOMEONE! If it goes into Robert's pockets so he can buy some stupid English tea biscuits or British comedy movies with strange accents and senses of humor or whatever he buys then that's fine with me! It would keep all these idiots that post for a week annoying everyone and then disappear away because they would all balk at the subscription fee.

Larry

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
Especially the pay schedule for the contributors on whom the board depends.

Ken, who said I was going to charge contributors?
If your a current contributor, your safe and very valuable to the growth of DR1.

"Much fear in you I sense" Master Robert :)

Let's stop assuming...

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert, reread my post. I wasn't asking how much you were going to charge contributors but how much you were going to pay us?

I'm not assuming anything, which is why I am asking.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If Ken gets paid then I demand a raise. With all I do around here with my perfect speling and al thase long posts I have to reed befor deleting.
What do you think Ken?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ken, you actually have a lot less power in this situation than you might think.. this is the value and joy of network effects, particularly Reeds law, which talks about how tightly woven communities are.

Its why ebay has crushed its competitors.

It can be done, and the DR market is a small one, so its easier. But the size of the market is proportionately small, so its not worth doing.

Bottom line: Robert can do what he wants, so long as he doesn't piss off the majority of the long term posters. And I doubt a monthly fee will cause a long term problem, just some short term griping which is standard in situations like these.

This book/site talks a lot about managing communities: http://designforcommunity.com/

I think it has some stories in there about this exact situation. Any kind of boycott, etc, most likely won't work.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna, I certainly think you deserve more than I do as a poster. You post and also deal with crazies in the section you moderate.

What do you think about our organizing a union of frequent posters (the ones that have something to offer, that is, because they have paid their dues)? Before Robert finalizes a fee schedule, the posters union should make its demands known. After all, if we go on strike, Robert and Dolores are going to be awfully busy answering questions, dealing with crazies, etc., etc. Robert won't have time to look up quotations in Bartlett's Book of Quotations.

CC would be a good negotiator for us and Scott can chair the social committee. I think Chris would make a good secretary/treasurer. To advise us on weather conditions--so that we don't picket or party on inclement days--XR would be a natural. I don't know what we will do with adrainb, but it is obvious we need to toughen him up.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You have the best ideas Ken I'll back you up.
Now what was this thread about? Something glowing on JanH or something about her husband experiencing freedom of speech.

Can't wait for the new forum change. When's that happening Robert? Will we have a spell check?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ken, if a subscription fee is put in place, I'm willing to pay yours in addition to mine.

I don't have a problem supporting DR1, and I also understand how money is different once you're retired.

I think its more important you're focused on contributing the great content you've been contributing, rather than being concerned about money.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
What do you think about our organizing a union of frequent posters (the ones that have something to offer, that is, because they have paid their dues)? Before Robert finalizes a fee schedule, the posters union should make its demands known. After all, if we go on strike, Robert and Dolores are going to be awfully busy answering questions, dealing with crazies, etc., etc. Robert won't have time to look up quotations in Bartlett's Book of Quotations.

CC would be a good negotiator for us and Scott can chair the social committee. I think Chris would make a good secretary/treasurer. To advise us on weather conditions--so that we don't picket or party on inclement days--XR would be a natural. I don't know what we will do with adrainb, but it is obvious we need to toughen him up.

Now we're unionising? What a concept! OK, I'm all for it - the Gloworm Poster's Dues Free Union of the North! Armed and Ready for Action! Newby's watch out! Robert, first demand! Pay per click! No Pay, no Click! What is your offer? Mr Bean quotes don't count! We don't govern, we Rule!

AdrianB - time to get tough - don't weaken our bargaining position!