The DR and the Recession of 2008

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Likely neither the World Bank nor Pichardo accept your definition.

And that definition does not change the World Bank's classifications and it is likely what Pichardo is referring to....when he speaks of upper middle income, etc.

The classifications perhaps only make sense to the World Bank and Pichardo.

http://data.worldbank.org/news/new-country-classifications

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

You miss my point.

He tried to link 'middle income' with 'middle class;

Actually the DR is an upper middle income country!

The majority of households belong to the middle class and up.

Spin, spin, spin and utter bull**8*

DR is a country rich in assets with far too many poor people (and too may living in abject poverty) and a small middle but growing class.

'Middle income' just at the very bottom end maybe........but certainly very very far from the majority of households being 'middle class and up'!!!!!!!!

Jan 9, 2004
You miss my point.

He tried to link 'middle income' with 'middle class;

Actually the DR is an upper middle income country!

The majority of households belong to the middle class and up.

Au contraire.

I understood your point completely....and quite frankly agree with it.

I only offer the methodology Pichardo used to create the mirage about "middle class" households.

Spin, spin, spin and utter bull**8*

You have found the right thread for that......dig back a little.

This thread more than any other on DR1.....contains the most of what I like to refer to as "Pichardoisms."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Alan Greenspan admits to having a tried and proven strategy. whenever he has to field a question with which he is uncomfortable, he goes into obfuscation mode. he blubbers on, incoherently, hoping that people will believe that the crap he just said is so esoteric that it went over their heads. that is PICHARDO. mumble away, with absolutely insane ideas, and hope people will believe that the reason it makes no sense to them is because it is so complicated. i mean, which other man on the planet would have the cojones to try to explain that the DR is the only country on earth which is on the Gold Standard.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And yet reality is what it is...

As for gold.? please post that new monetary law of the DR that supports your blabber...

Middle income country, no mistake.

Majority of homes belong to the middle class, no mistake.

Keep going...

DR economy looking better by the year!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The terms middle class and middle income vary from country to country. The gap between the classes is getting wider in the USA, Canada, The UK, etc. As it is in the DR. Here the poor who represent the majority of the population are becoming poorer due to increased taxes, lack of education, and corruption. And yes, there is a rising middle class. Teachers were given large salary increases and are adding to the middle class numbers.

The DR economy is improving if one is to believe the figures on foreign investment, imports and exports cited by the various DR government departments. But more money in doesn't equate to a more equitable spread class wise. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer still rings true in developing countries.

It will be interesting to see who benefits from the new oil exploration initiative. Based on what's happened in other countries and the DR governments experience with mineral resource extraction, I'm guessing the government will get the lion's share of the financial benefits if the exploration progresses to the production stage. National exploration and production companies will get the remainder. Where I live in Canada, we have massive offshore oil resources. The bulk of it goes to the government, the US and we only have one small oil refinery providing a minimum of jobs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The terms middle class and middle income vary from country to country. The gap between the classes is getting wider in the USA, Canada, The UK, etc. As it is in the DR. Here the poor who represent the majority of the population are becoming poorer due to increased taxes, lack of education, and corruption. And yes, there is a rising middle class. Teachers were given large salary increases and are adding to the middle class numbers.

The DR economy is improving if one is to believe the figures on foreign investment, imports and exports cited by the various DR government departments. But more money in doesn't equate to a more equitable spread class wise. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer still rings true in developing countries.

It will be interesting to see who benefits from the new oil exploration initiative. Based on what's happened in other countries and the DR governments experience with mineral resource extraction, I'm guessing the government will get the lion's share of the financial benefits if the exploration progresses to the production stage. National exploration and production companies will get the remainder. Where I live in Canada, we have massive offshore oil resources. The bulk of it goes to the government, the US and we only have one small oil refinery providing a minimum of jobs.

i do not discuss economics with PICHARDO, because there is no shame in his game. my thinking is that he is a paid government shill, whose purpose is to provide spin in internet forums, telling us how far advanced the DR is, and how much greater than everyone else Dominicans are. the DR is the only country in the world which is on the Gold Standard. it is the only country in the world which uses quintiles to measure performance, but only considers four quintiles. the rules are different for the DR.

there is no point in arguing with such people. they just frustrate you. worse yet, when you ask a question, and they have no answer, they just flee and lie low until they think you have forgotten.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
i do not discuss economics with PICHARDO, because there is no shame in his game. my thinking is that he is a paid government shill, whose purpose is to provide spin in internet forums, telling us how far advanced the DR is, and how much greater than everyone else Dominicans are. the DR is the only country in the world which is on the Gold Standard. it is the only country in the world which uses quintiles to measure performance, but only considers four quintiles. the rules are different for the DR.

there is no point in arguing with such people. they just frustrate you. worse yet, when you ask a question, and they have no answer, they just flee and lie low until they think you have forgotten.

Please make sure to let them know my correct address, since I haven't been getting those payments you talked about.

Maybe they have the wrong zip code?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Btw
Cuba is open now, so much for the Gloom and Doom of our touring industry due to the Cuban boogeyman...

Time after time all your predictions debunked..one wonders

you can only claim that my predictions have been debunked when you provide numbers.

oh..i forgot. numbers are a waste of time.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Btw
Cuba is open now, so much for the Gloom and Doom of our touring industry due to the Cuban boogeyman...

Time after time all your predictions debunked..one wonders

Speak again of this when a decade have passed since the opening, since you seem to be of the impression that there isn't a catch up process to be had. Given the propensity of this country to sleep on its laurels (many of them which are circumstancial anyway), don't be surprised if the Cubans not only get to close the gap, but get to surpass us in the process. It happened before, and there are strong indications that it might happen again.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Speak again of this when a decade have passed since the opening, since you seem to be of the impression that there isn't a catch up process to be had. Given the propensity of this country to sleep on its laurels (many of them which are circumstancial anyway), don't be surprised if the Cubans not only get to close the gap, but get to surpass us in the process. It happened before, and there are strong indications that it might happen again.

exactly!! the process is a few months old, and he is making statements. give it a few years, and see what shakes out.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
exactly!! the process is a few months old, and he is making statements. give it a few years, and see what shakes out.

I'm not optimistic about Cuba's ability to expand their tourism industry to the point where it threatens the DR or any other island for that matter. Cuba has been open for years to non US citizens and their tourist industry has lagged well behind other islands for quite a while. The new US/Cuba alliance is an Obama initiative. Several members of the GOP have stated openly they are not comfortable with the new relationship. If Trump is president a tug of war could ensue. Trump owes the US Latino community because they supported him in large numbers in many states. If he plans to enhance the US/Cuban initiative, he may not have the backing of the GOP. Politics could really get interesting here. I'm guessing Trump as President will have bigger fish to fry, illegal immigration, NAFTA, etc. So his interest in Cuba may be minimal. Same could happen with Clinton as President. The relationship may progress at a much slower rate. Trump is also a hard nosed business man. If US companies are willing to invest in Cuba, he and the US companies will probably want some guarantees against government expropriation. That still sticks in the craw of some US based companies that got burned when Castro took over. There are other barriers that could slow the rebirth of the tourist industry in Cuba. Raoul's is still holding the reins and other hardliners are lurking in the background to replace him. Positive change may occur over time but it may be decades, not a decade.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have not got all the figures at my fingertips but everytime I go to Punta Cana and Bavaro , I am amazed at how this area seems to grow continuously . the airport can not keep pace with the ever increasing numbers ,the range of hotels now ranges from super luxury to very basic and it seems to me that Cuba will need many decades to match this area of the DR .Even when it does I think that we may become two destinations in one for many tourists , much in the same way as some of the SE Asia countries . I had an acqaintance who had a string of butchers shops , close to 25 and he always placed them in areas with other butchers shops, never apart from them, and he became a multi millionaire .

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

It will take Cuba the better part of two decades to reach where the DR is today.

By then, the DR will be at another stage all the same.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
It will take Cuba the better part of two decades to reach where the DR is today.

By then, the DR will be at another stage all the same.

Not with Haiti not moving an inch from the abyss it currently is, or the DR gov. refusing to close the borders with them and curb corruption. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that means Haitian problems becoming DR problems in a heartbeat, specially as they inch closer to being a quarter of the population here and the public services get to collapse as a result.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Not with Haiti not moving an inch from the abyss it currently is, or the DR gov. refusing to close the borders with them and curb corruption. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that means Haitian problems becoming DR problems in a heartbeat, specially as they inch closer to being a quarter of the population here and the public services get to collapse as a result.

In addition to the above, safe for the Guantanamo strip, Cuba is blissfully blessed with having their entire insular territory for themselves, a population that is among the most educated in the continent, and population size that is in tune with their territorial size, as well as having a gov. full in control of its territory and resources (which means more security). Let all these facts sink in for a moment...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
In addition to the above, safe for the Guantanamo strip, Cuba is blissfully blessed with having their entire insular territory for themselves, a population that is among the most educated in the continent, and population size that is in tune with their territorial size, as well as having a gov. full in control of its territory and resources (which means more security). Let all these facts sink in for a moment...

When the money does show up, how long will it take before that government "control" is eroded by corruption as the place turns into a "Big D.R." with no "Haiti problem". This could turn out hundreds of different ways, depending on the influence of outside influences. People have steadily remarked that the impact of open trade with the USA shouldn't matter since Europeans and Canadians have had access and trade all these years. That's nonsense. If the USA pulled the same bans against the D.R. it would turn into Haiti in a matter of months, despite continuing European and Canadian access. At this point, any level of trade and open travel between the USA and Cuba will make a HUUUGE impact on the Cuban economy. Whether that is for the better or for the worse remains to be seen.