The DR and the Recession of 2008

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You are projecting.
Careto explain why is it that in the United States a typical household was maintained by one income earner and since the that has become impossible needing two in most cases?

Why is it that for the first time in history the younger generations if Americans will be poorer than their parents? 50 years ago a typical American income earner was able to afford to buy a home, while the younger generations of Americans mostly can't afford one. Why? Doing better?

You remind me of Puerto Ricans when I used to debate with them how the DR is doing better thsn PR and they said the contrary. One even aaid he felt insulted. lol Well, thst was then and the gap between DR and PR has been shrinking at a fast pace. PR has been and is doing worst than the USA, but the DR is going better thsn both.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Careto explain why is it that in the United States a typical household was maintained by one income earner and since the that has become impossible needing two in most cases?

Why is it that for the first time in history the younger generations if Americans will be poorer than their parents?

You remind me of Puerto Ricans when I used to debate with them how the DR is doing better thsn PR and they said the contrary. One even aaid he felt insulted. lol Well, thst was then and the gap between DR and PR has been shrinking at a fast pace. PR has been and is doing worst than the USA, but the DR is going better thsn both.
I admit to not knowing a lot about the United States and Puerto Rico. You live in the US. Don’t you ? Better health care for you ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I admit to not knowing a lot about the United States and Puerto Rico. You live in the US. Don’t you ? Better health care for you ?
Ran out of arguments? Come on Aarhus, you're better than resorting to fallacies, aren't you or I'm expecting too much of you? Your ego got bruised?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well I myself wouldn’t want to have to rely on the DR health care system. How about you ?
So you are not answering any of the question (it is understood, you simply don't know), and yet blabbing away like the D>r doesn't have CEDIMAT, HOMS, Clínica Abreu and others. Yodu can't answer any of the questions regadibg how the USA is doing right now which started with you claiming the USA isn't doing worse than the DR and yet, hanging on to one more fallacy of yours. Typical of you. Perhaps thst's why moderators here talk about you and are keeping an eye on your postings vs most people who are not a problem? Oh well, that's beyonx the scope of a thread anout the Dominican economy and especially of the tangent started by you claiming the DR isn't doing better than the USA when it's.

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
So you are not answering any of the question (it is understood, you simply don't know), and yet blabbing away like the D>r doesn't have CEDIMAT, HOMS, Clínica Abreu and others. Yodu can't answer any of the questions regadibg how the USA is doing right now which started with you claiming the USA isn't doing worse than the DR and yet, hanging on to one more fallacy of yours. Typical of you. Perhaps thst's why moderators here talk about you and are keeping an eye on your postings vs most people who are not a problem? Oh well, that's beyonx the scope of a thread anout the Dominican economy and especially of the tangent started by you claiming the DR isn't doing better than the USA when it's.
Really. Ok. I won’t loose any sleep over the moderators talking about me and observing my posts. I don’t think it’s that important.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter
Jan 9, 2004

Why is it that for the first time in history the younger generations if Americans will be poorer than their parents? 50 years ago a typical American income earner was able to afford to buy a home, while the younger generations of Americans mostly can't afford one. Why? Doing better?

For a myriad of reasons, one income wage earner families in the US has not really been around since the 1960's.

The younger generation poorer? The baby boomers are set to make the greatest wealth transfer in history to their children and grandchildren.

Finally, The average age of a first time US home buyer is in the 30's. It has been consistently in the thirties for several decades.

And what, if anything, does this have to do with the DR and recession of 2008?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
You are out of line with this comment regarding aarhus.......................by making it personal and public..................

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It's doing better compared to countries like the USA, Canada, Spain, Itsly too.

For example, in the USA the economy isn't growing as much, the middle class is actually shrinking, debt is at a much higher percentage of GDP, inequality has been increasing for several years among other issues.

It would go a long way in supporting your assertions if you could cite actual factual information with refernces to sources. Just saying. Nothing personal of course. I am just interested in what the situation really is.

"For example, in the USA the economy isn't growing as much, the middle class is actually shrinking, debt is at a much higher percentage of GDP, inequality has been increasing for several years among other issues.

I just got back from a couple months in the US and am blown away by the prices in the supermarket here now. I just spent 12,000 pesos on things for the family of four. Will last maybe 10 days, the basics. No carne included. And, will buy more platano, tomatos, lechuga, pepino, zanahoria, etc. as the week progresses.

I always wonder how Dominican families do this. With their incomes. Most probably don't.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Really. Ok. I won’t loose any sleep over the moderators talking about me and observing my posts. I don’t think it’s that important.

The moderators are not talking about you aarhus, I don’t know where that came from.

You are out of line with this comment regarding aarhus.......................by making it personal and public..................

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

You are absolutely correct. It will not happen again.

• Sad
Reactions: JD Jones

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It would go a long way in supporting your assertions if you could cite actual factual information with refernces to sources. Just saying. Nothing personal of course. I am just interested in what the situation really is.

"For example, in the USA the economy isn't growing as much, the middle class is actually shrinking, debt is at a much higher percentage of GDP, inequality has been increasing for several years among other issues.

I just got back from a couple months in the US and am blown away by the prices in the supermarket here now. I just spent 12,000 pesos on things for the family of four. Will last maybe 10 days, the basics. No carne included. And, will buy more platano, tomatos, lechuga, pepino, zanahoria, etc. as the week progresses.

I always wonder how Dominican families do this. With their incomes. Most probably don't.
I should note that part of the purchase was pampers and formula for a baby. We wanted to gave these things to someone who needs them. And they cost. The pampers are about the same price as in the US. I look at that price because we have over time bought many. It is about 2,000 pesos or more for a package.

I don't know much about the price of formula. But, what I bought was 1,500 pesos.

Topic for another thread. Prices.

Reactions: aarhus

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Nals brings back some types of threads that have been gone for a very long time. "Now in this corner USA vs. RD" No four letter words allowed and please put your bar charts away". lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For a myriad of reasons, one income wage earner families in the US has not really been around since the 1960's.

The younger generation poorer? The baby boomers are set to make the greatest wealth transfer in history to their children and grandchildren.
Yes, the younger generation are poorer than their parents. You know, the ones who idn't had to receive any wealth transfers from their parents in order to make it?

playacaribe2 said:
Finally, The average age of a first time US home buyer is in the 30's. It has been consistently in the thirties for several decades.
Yes, the same amount of decades the kids of the baby boomers are adults.

[playacaribe2]And what, if anything, does this have to do with the DR and recession of 2008?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Economic growth: US/DR (Click on each country on the map; https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDP_RPCH@WEO/USA?year=2023?)

Debt as a percentage of GDP: US/DR (Click on each country on the map; https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/GGXWDG_NGDP@WEO/USA?zoom=USA&highlight=USA)

Shrinkage of the middle class and increase of inequality (USA): https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/

Whichever way anyone cuts, the DR is doing better than the USA.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
It's doing better compared to countries like the USA, Canada, Spain, Itsly too.

For example, in the USA the economy isn't growing as much, the middle class is actually shrinking, debt is at a much higher percentage of GDP, inequality has been increasing for several years among other issues.
Perhaps the IMF should be helping the US with funding from the DR. :rolleyes:

• Haha

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Economic growth: US/DR (Click on each country on the map; https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/NGDP_RPCH@WEO/USA?year=2023?)

Debt as a percentage of GDP: US/DR (Click on each country on the map; https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/GGXWDG_NGDP@WEO/USA?zoom=USA&highlight=USA)

Shrinkage of the middle class and increase of inequality (USA): https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/

Whichever way anyone cuts, the DR is doing better than the USA.
Great. I'll take a look when I have time. My observations in the US are that everybody has money except the very poor. So, prices have risen. But, to me it looks they are even higher in DR. They have always been higher for the same things here since my 12 years. Not lower on anything I know of - except tomatos. My mother-in-law told me she saw platanos for 60 pesos! each not long ago here. Insane. 20 was high. Look at the price of eggs.

Anyway - as I said topic for another thread. Prices. Thanks for steering me to the info you refer to. I like to see facts/reality :)

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Yes, the younger generation are poorer than their parents. You know, the ones who idn't had to receive any wealth transfers from their parents in order to make it?

Obvioulsy he hasn't been to Twitter or Reddit on the last couple of years. Plenty of threads in those places made by Millennials and Zoomers complaining about Boomers ruining it for them with bad political decisions and such. Gen Xers? Shrugging their shoulders