The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Actually it is a kind of imperialism but rather based on their financial assets to take advantage of poor countries , and replace the ancient colonizers influences into Africa.

They are not invading Haiti. They made a deal with the govt of haiti to provide a service, for a price. The Haitian govt could have told them to go pound sand. It's Capitalism. Nothing else.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Quote Originally Posted by K-Mel View Post
Actually it is a kind of imperialism but rather based on their financial assets to take advantage of poor countries , and replace the ancient colonizers influences into Africa.

Whatever. But don't forget how much money developed countries as USA, Canada, European countries etc. have send to this kind of countries without perspective. Maybe the Chinese can teach them to use their brain and discipline. I like the new approach, even if the main objective is not aid, but then nobody is obliged to help another.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Moving slave labor closer to it's biggest consumer. Brilliant.

Your next iPad could be made in Haiti. LOL

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Whatever. But don't forget how much money developed countries as USA, Canada, European countries etc. have send to this kind of countries without perspective. Maybe the Chinese can teach them to use their brain and discipline. I like the new approach, even if the main objective is not aid, but then nobody is obliged to help another.

Most of that money was send to NGO's, check Clinton's bankaccount for example. ;)
The Chinese will teach them don't worry. It would also be nice if they'd invest in reforestation, Haiti could use some of that.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Oh yes, they will teach them, but some things never change. And I wasn't talking about specific aid, but more the annual fonds being send to Africa, and this island, yes including the DR, still reveiving money from the EU.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Moving slave labor closer to it's biggest consumer. Brilliant.

Your next iPad could be made in Haiti. LOL

There have been 7" tablets made in Haiti for several years now. Samsung clones. Even take Barnes and Noble Nook apps. Nobody except Samsung is supposed to be able to.

Last edited:

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
LOL, so true.

When I was getting my MBA a few years ago, I did a research project on iPad. The cost to make and ship was around $197 from Foxconn in Shenzhen. However, labor is not the biggest reason why made in China. China has a monopoly on 17 hard-to-mine elements that are necessary for making gadgets. In the iPad, it’s suspected that these earth metals are used to make the iPad’s lithium-ion polymer batteries, the display, the magnets to attach the Smart Cover, and even to polish the glass.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Need to stop sending free rice to that country. Every market has USAID rice for sale. Clinton rice put the Haiti rice farmers out of business. The Chinese can teach them how to grow rice very well. They did in Liberia some 10 years ago. Good for the economy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL, so true.

When I was getting my MBA a few years ago, I did a research project on iPad. The cost to make and ship was around $197 from Foxconn in Shenzhen. However, labor is not the biggest reason why made in China. China has a monopoly on 17 hard-to-mine elements that are necessary for making gadgets. In the iPad, it’s suspected that these earth metals are used to make the iPad’s lithium-ion polymer batteries, the display, the magnets to attach the Smart Cover, and even to polish the glass.

you make a very important point about the rare earth minerals. that is why a trade war is a dumb idea, because they can retaliate against you by quadrupling the prices of those essential components...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Need to stop sending free rice to that country. Every market has USAID rice for sale. Clinton rice put the Haiti rice farmers out of business. The Chinese can teach them how to grow rice very well. They did in Liberia some 10 years ago. Good for the economy.

This is what the Chinese do and the Indians are right behind them. These infrastructure projects are necessary to the logistics of getting Haiti up and running as a virtual bread basket for these countries into the rest of this century. Haiti was once the Pearl of the Caribbean based upon it's agricultural production and will be again. Investment in modern farming methods will follow infrastructure improvements as China looks to feed its population of just under 1.4 billion into the rest of this century. China has made such investments in other countries with nothing more to offer than cheap labor and fertile land and the beneficial effects have been mutual. I have seen the projects that China has built in return for long term contracts on minerals and agricultural products in other countries have immediate impact on their fortunes and potential and I'm sure that they will in the case of Haiti. I'm also sure that their investments in Haiti will benefit their neighbors in the region as they look to nearby suppliers for provisions, concrete and other materials. It is very true that the Chinese use their own prison labor for their projects but the local benefits will come as local vendors will be providing essential goods and services. The Chinese project managers, engineers and other professionals who move to Haiti with their families in support of these efforts will become the market for a wide array of services in a country badly in need of service sector opportunity.

Now why this type of effort wasn't undertaken by the USA which certainly has had the means to enter this type of alliance and end the "Aid Era" in favor of an Era of Self Reliance and Partnership will remain shrouded in mystery.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am left with the impression that pillaging and plundering the US economy by US companies and the banks is structured to get as much as possible as fast as possible. I'm not sure the current investment climate in the US are prepared to wait long enough for their returns to be interested in propping up a nation state with a patchwork economy.

If China is interested more power to them. It's been clear for a long time now, Haiti is available for the taking. There just haven't been any serious takers.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
This is what the Chinese do and the Indians are right behind them. These infrastructure projects are necessary to the logistics of getting Haiti up and running as a virtual bread basket for these countries into the rest of this century. Haiti was once the Pearl of the Caribbean based upon it's agricultural production and will be again. Investment in modern farming methods will follow infrastructure improvements as China looks to feed its population of just under 1.4 billion into the rest of this century. China has made such investments in other countries with nothing more to offer than cheap labor and fertile land and the beneficial effects have been mutual. I have seen the projects that China has built in return for long term contracts on minerals and agricultural products in other countries have immediate impact on their fortunes and potential and I'm sure that they will in the case of Haiti. I'm also sure that their investments in Haiti will benefit their neighbors in the region as they look to nearby suppliers for provisions, concrete and other materials. It is very true that the Chinese use their own prison labor for their projects but the local benefits will come as local vendors will be providing essential goods and services. The Chinese project managers, engineers and other professionals who move to Haiti with their families in support of these efforts will become the market for a wide array of services in a country badly in need of service sector opportunity.

Now why this type of effort wasn't undertaken by the USA which certainly has had the means to enter this type of alliance and end the "Aid Era" in favor of an Era of Self Reliance and Partnership will remain shrouded in mystery.

It's not a mystery it's Confucius.
The US is run by banks with only their own interests at heart, remember 2008? ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It's not a mystery it's Confucius.
The US is run by banks with only their own interests at heart, remember 2008? ;)
When will they learn that long term investment at steady growth is in their best interest. The Bank of North Dakota should be the model for the U S banking industry.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
They are not invading Haiti. They made a deal with the govt of haiti to provide a service, for a price. The Haitian govt could have told them to go pound sand. It's Capitalism. Nothing else.

Yup.  Capitalism. Communist style. Am I the only left who remembers that China is a communist country and sworn to the downfall of the west?  

In Boston they are building new apartment towers especially for Chinese university students. TO go to a university you gotta be a member of the party. To fart in private you gotta be a member of the party.  There are a few rare examples of rich people who made their shekls outside the party. Exceptions to the rule. 

Which commie said give the capitalists enough rope to hang themselves. 

Yup. We gonna do it. 

To save 10 cents on our next trip to Walmart. 

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
China does actions with the thought of effects 100 years from now.

Told to me by my Chinese American colleague. I believe her.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Yup. And American business men can't look past this quarter's profits. Who is gonna win in the long run?  Unfortunately my bet is on the Chinese. 

All bough those Brits with 500 year old companies in the "city of London" are giving them a run for their money. 

Oops, I meant our money.