The People Want Danilo to Continue

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Despite all the talk, I doubt very much Danilo Medina will change the Constitution. This would be the third President to do so in recent times? Hipolito Medina (2004 Constitution) and then Leonel Fernandez (2010 Constitution), both changes to accommodate their running for the Presidency again.

In a recent statement, new Foreign Minister Andres Navarro said that the President was very respectful of the Constitution.

My memory is fuzzy, but I remember Hipolito changing it so he could run again. . . only to lose to leonel. Since Hipolito already changed it to allow two terms,
I don't think Fernandez had to change it to run a second term.The third term he had Danilo and the Mrs run, to keep the seat warm, but that doesn't look like it will work now.

As crazy as it would be for Leonel to run again. . . .sadly it would be better than Papa. . . .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My memory is fuzzy, but I remember Hipolito changing it so he could run again. . . only to lose to leonel. Since Hipolito already changed it to allow two terms,
I don't think Fernandez had to change it to run a second term.The third term he had Danilo and the Mrs run, to keep the seat warm, but that doesn't look like it will work now.

As crazy as it would be for Leonel to run again. . . .sadly it would be better than Papa. . . .

My memory not sharp on this either, but I don't remember anyone but Leonel maneuvering to change the Constitution to help himself.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My memory not sharp on this either, but I don't remember anyone but Leonel maneuvering to change the Constitution to help himself.

Rafael is right. The original change to the Constitution took place during Mej?a's presidency.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Despite all the talk, I doubt very much Danilo Medina will change the Constitution. This would be the third President to do so in recent times? Hipolito Medina (2004 Constitution) and then Leonel Fernandez (2010 Constitution), both changes to accommodate their running for the Presidency again.

In a recent statement, new Foreign Minister Andres Navarro said that the President was very respectful of the Constitution.

If the majority of the people want him to run he should run. If in the past the sob (Leonel and Hipolito) changed the constitution to benefit themselves why not change it, if the people are the ones doing the request. The constitution is nothing but a piece of paper in DR. Balaguer used it many times to clean his a$$

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting poll results published in today's DR1 news summary. Should give those in the PLD in favor of Leonel being the
candidate something to think seriously about.

The new poll suggests that Leonel would lose in the 2nd round.

PLD's only sure winner is Medina.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Interesting poll results published in today's DR1 news summary. Should give those in the PLD in favor of Leonel being the
candidate something to think seriously about.

The new poll suggests that Leonel would lose in the 2nd round.

PLD's only sure winner is Medina.
Hipolito instead of PLD? I'll put my house for sale already.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hipolito showed during his term that he is not capable of managing anything, not even the slightest unimportant things, who would take him again for Presi sure has no more than 1 1/2 braincells (as for reference, with 5 cells you are capable to open a coca cola bottle without other's help).
Hipolito and his surrounders would not even be capable of managing the Girls at a Car Wash.
the country has actually no alternative as far as different Parties go, who ever runs as follower for Medina will win the 2016 elections, and it would not be any bad to have Medina himself taking the seat again.

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From Today's DR1 News Summary

DR1 Daily News -- Tuesday, 24 March 2015

8. 2016 presidential election result not clear-cut
With the 2016 presidential elections only 14 months away, a new survey for Diario Libre by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research suggests that Danilo Medina is still the most popular candidate. According to the poll, 71% confirmed they would vote to re-elect Medina and 69% are in favor of amending the Constitution to allow him to run again.

However, if Medina were not on the ticket, the ruling PLD is less certain to win with former President Leonel Fernandez.

The data shows that the former President's image received a blow following convicted drug dealer Quirino Ernesto Paulino Castillo's recent allegations against Fernandez. This led to a decline in his approval rating, especially among PLD supporters. The poll showed Fernandez would gain most votes in the first round of the elections, but he would not be far enough ahead of Hipolito Mejia and Luis Abinader should they face off in the second round.

The research was conducted from 3 to 8 March 2015 with a sample size of 1,007 and a margin of error of plus and minus 3.1%.

The Greenberg-Diario Libre poll presented the following scenarios:

Leonel Fernandez (PLD) 32%, Hipolito Mejia (PRM) 24%, Guillermo Moreno (Alianza Pais) 15%, Miguel Vargas (PRD) 4% and Federico Antun Batlle (PRSC) 4%. A second round would be necessary.

Leonel Fernandez (PLD) 32%, Luis Abinader (PRM) 24%, Guillermo Moreno (Alianza Pais) 12%, Vargas Maldonado (PRD) 7% and Federico Antun Batlle (PRSC) 4%. A second round would be necessary.

Second round results would be:

Hipolito Mejia (PRM) 42%, Leonel Fernandez (41%).

Luis Abinader (PRM) 45%, Leonel Fernandez 42%.

Diario Libre explains that the difference between these scenarios is that Luis Abinader would capture the Guillermo Moreno voters, which would not be the case for Hipolito Mejia. The poll showed that 65% of those who voted for Moreno would vote for Luis Abinader, while only 49% would vote for Mejia.

Greenberg Quinland Rosner Research is a leading Washington, D.C.-based opinion research and strategic consulting firm.

Greenberg vice president Jessica Reis said that despite Danilo Medina's popularity, the PLD stands to lose in the 2016 presidential election. The factors to consider are the erosion of former President Leonel Fernandez's popularity, especially among people who in the past would have voted for him, the effects of the recent news revelations on corruption and links with drug trafficking, and the consolidation of the PRM and Abinader with deserters from the PRD.

"It is rare to see circumstances where you have a President with more than 90% approval with no guarantee that his party will obtain an easy victory. Nevertheless, with 14 months to go before the election, this appears to be the case," observed the political analyst.

Danilo sigue fuerte, pero hay un potencial sendero de victoria para el PRM - DiarioLibre.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
About 1970 I worked for 1.5 years as the Executive Assistant to the Majority Leader of the Michigan Senate.
One of the things I learned is that there is nothing more important to a politician than his own reelection. Any PLD
politician, elected or appointed, will most certainly start thinking about what is best for him when he sees those
results. Past loyalty to Fernandez is not equal to giving himself the best chance to keep his position.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the polls always differ dramatically depending on who ordered them. it's always fun to see newspapers shortly before elections when PLD and PRD (now also PRM, undoubtedly) run whole page advertisements, sorry, poll results claiming most of the votes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The article just posted by Frank The Tank in his thread about Leonel being considered the most corrupt politician is totally
consistent with the results of the poll reporting that Leonel would very likely not win in the 2nd round.

The "poll" indicating that Leonel would win in the first round is supported by nothing reported so far. Politically wishful thinking.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ernandez-most-corrupt-Dominican-politico-poll

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
The article just posted by Frank The Tank in his thread about Leonel being considered the most corrupt politician is totally
consistent with the results of the poll reporting that Leonel would very likely not win in the 2nd round.

The "poll" indicating that Leonel would win in the first round is supported by nothing reported so far. Politically wishful thinking.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ernandez-most-corrupt-Dominican-politico-poll

corrupts elected for official seats in seantes, taken as governers and even preidents, is nothing new. it happens on every single election even throughout every first world country.
as the people all around are the same manipulated by their country's press/word spread around, and we all know who pays the AD's in the newspapers/online papers.
the Paulinito accuses will cost Leonel some points, but this country at this moment would finally not elect one of the other parties due that, doesn't matter who the candidate will be, they will stay in powers.
and i like that, as i see absolutely ZERO to await improvement of anything at any of the competing parties, Zero.

Mike

Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
corrupts elected for official seats in seantes, taken as governers and even preidents, is nothing new. it happens on every single election even throughout every first world country.
as the people all around are the same manipulated by their country's press/word spread around, and we all know who pays the AD's in the newspapers/online papers.
the Paulinito accuses will cost Leonel some points, but this country at this moment would finally not elect one of the other parties due that, doesn't matter who the candidate will be, they will stay in powers.
and i like that, as i see absolutely ZERO to await improvement of anything at any of the competing parties, Zero.

Mike

Mike

Well, I am not as certain of anything as you are.

What i do think is that there is an increasing possibility that Medina will run again.

The proposal of his supporters first reported by Dolores and repeated in today's DR1 news summary is quite
interesting and may be very attractive to Leonel.

The proposal is to change the Constitution to permit someone to serve 2 consecutive terms as president. Under
this plan Medina would get 4 more years and then Leonel, if still inclined and electable, could serve for 2 terms.

This would give Leonel 4 years to rehabilitate himself and present himself as new man for the 2020 elections

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
quiet possible, yes.
and yes, Medina i would see as a sure winner, he passed his time with no scandals, finished projects/roads etc which been started before his term, he is a not-shout-out-loud Presi who did not appear every once in a while with some kinda scandals in the papers. if he could get the Police Intern mess better under control he could become a real positive Presi to remember.

Mike

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
About 1970 I worked for 1.5 years as the Executive Assistant to the Majority Leader of the Michigan Senate.
One of the things I learned is that there is nothing more important to a politician than his own reelection. Any PLD
politician, elected or appointed, will most certainly start thinking about what is best for him when he sees those
results. Past loyalty to Fernandez is not equal to giving himself the best chance to keep his position.

ah yes Ken , many years ago I was chief of staff for two prime Ministers , although we were called Principal Secretary , and I totally agree that re election is number one priority even surpassing national interest .

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Plenty of other narcos to turn to, not to mention the government money stashed away.

Danilo with his cuddly teddy bear image has always been part of Leonel's long-term plan. An inoffensive placeholder until he can run for election again.