The Secret of Santo Domingo

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
root of the problem could be...

Criss Colon said:
Sure all that things can be found in Santo Domingo,but they are all "superficial"! You don't have to scatch deeply to find the "cancer".Even "Leonel" said last week that the DR is in "Caos" and nearly "Un-governable".
Your view is part of your problem,not part of your solution!
Until Dominicans themselves start to recognize the deep rooted problems in their own society,thing will remain as they are,no:Government,education,healthcare,security,infra-structure,economic future for 90% of the population.
If there were any "Dominicans" on the "Titanic",I can gaurentee you that they were dancing,singing,eating,playing dominos,and "screwing",until the water was over their heads!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NAL's post reminded me of the DR because it is more form than substance. The text more accurately describes a cosmopolitan international center. The reality, of course, is strikingly different.

The comment about many business meetings involving social time squares with my experience and stood out for me. It also goes a long way to explain some of the stubborn lack of development we suffer. In my opinion, there should be much more consciousness of the impact of inefficiency in professional life. Social interaction is very important in business, but it must be secondary to productivity if there is to be progress. The time that is devoted to handshaking and cheek kissing is charming but ultimately destructive to the work ethic. As with most social conventions here, it happens by design and serves to maintain the oligarchy's primacy as status quo. Can anyone reasonably deny this?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Arturo said:
NAL's post reminded me of the DR because it is more form than substance. The text more accurately describes a cosmopolitan international center. The reality, of course, is strikingly different.
Again, the city is anything anyone wants it to be.

I will assure you, as you probably know, that the Santo Domingo of La Cienaga is not the same as the Santo Domingo of Piantini.

Shopping along Calle Duarte is not the same as shopping in Plaza Acropolis.

Living in La Zurza is not the same as living in Los Rios.

It's just not the same, that city (like all major cities) covers everything humanity is and people's perception of such place is defined by what people choose to value and remember the most.

Arturo said:
The comment about many business meetings involving social time squares with my experience and stood out for me. It also goes a long way to explain some of the stubborn lack of development we suffer. In my opinion, there should be much more consciousness of the impact of inefficiency in professional life. Social interaction is very important in business, but it must be secondary to productivity if there is to be progress. The time that is devoted to handshaking and cheek kissing is charming but ultimately destructive to the work ethic. As with most social conventions here, it happens by design and serves to maintain the oligarchy's primacy as status quo. Can anyone reasonably deny this?
I think it has more to do with the Latin culture more than anything else.

However, I must say that doing business along the East Coast of the US is slightly different from doing business in the Midwest, particularly in rural areas.

For example, in the Boston-New York-Washington DC areas, people don't have time for chit chat. If you are there for business, then get with business from the moment the meeting starts. They don't want to know about your family and they don't want you to keep bothering them about things they know you could care less about, especially when you are there for business!

However, in Kansas City, business takes place after you develop some sort of rapport. The "chit chat" is not as profound as it is in SDQ or Mexico City or most other Latin American places, but it's definitely there when on the East Coast of the US it's not.

Again, culture plays a role.

Do you know how long it took me to figure out that Pop means Soda in the Midwestern US! Culture, even within one country, can have its way of popping and distracting even the most avid of businessmen. Pop, why don't they just call it soda? Oh well...

-NALs

nativeson

Apr 19, 2006
BIG UP!!! Spoken like a true Vanguard.

Life is organic, the sooner we realize our physical connection to all we see and acknowledge the creative force working in and through us?we will find peace, love and action in line with purpose.

nativeson

Apr 19, 2006
NALs said:
Do you know how long it took me to figure out that Pop means Soda in the Midwestern US! Culture, even within one country, can have its way of popping and distracting even the most avid of businessmen. Pop, why don't they just call it soda? Oh well...

-NALs

NALs, being originally from Chicago, IL...I can speak on the "Pop" colloquialism. It's a derivitive of "Soda Pop"...it's funny how differenct regions interchange the abbreviation...the majority of the West Coast uses "Soda".

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
nativeson said:
NALs, being originally from Chicago, IL...I can speak on the "Pop" colloquialism. It's a derivitive of "Soda Pop"...it's funny how differenct regions interchange the abbreviation...the majority of the West Coast uses "Soda".

In Boston it's 'tonic' in Santo Domingo it's 'refresco'.

I live in Santo Domingo and I find the contrasts, varieties and even the chaos endlessly fascinating. This city is charming and frustrating all the time. :ermm:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
NALs said:
To love Santo Domingo is to love Dominicans, to hate Santo Domingo is to hate Dominicans, but one thing is sure and that is that nobody loves and hates this city to eternity. Each feeling takes its turn, sometimes entire days you end up hating this city and then other days you simply love it. Other times its just in the morning that you hate it and by the time the evening rolls through you are loving it again.

I think its called Brugal, Barcelo, or what the hell just a case of Presidentes! :cheeky:
TEHAMA

adagio_adeux

May 5, 2006
Great Post .... I think I'm in love with the place and only a few days ago I thought it was in Sth America..heh !! Lol don't hit me !!

Mike.

adagio_adeux

May 5, 2006
Nals.... sorry I don't speak or understand Spanish.... would you be able to re-post the last comments in English for moi ..?

Also ...upon researching D.R. I have learned what a significant place it holds with regards to the discovery of the new world. I really hope to get there later this yr... and hold in my hands some of it's not so ancient secrets which are unfolding before me ..... ;-)

Thankyou,

Michael.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALs said:
Soy orgulloso de mi patria, porque solo ella me da felicidad....

Soy orgulloso de mi patria, porque solo ella me entiende de verdad...

Soy orgulloso de mi patria, porque ella me vio nacer...

Soy orgulloso de mi patria, porque soy dichoso de tal cosa...

Soy orgulloso de mi patria, porque sin ella yo no fuera lo que yo soy y como estoy feliz de ser la persona que soy, eso se lo devo a mi gente, a mi cultura, y sobre todo a mi pais!

-Nal
I'm proud of my country, because only her makes me happy...

I'm proud of my country, because only her understands me....

I'm proud of my country, because she witness my birth....

I'm proud of my country, because I'm luck of such (of being Dominican)...

I'm produe of my country, because without her I would not be who I am and since I'm a happy person (most of the time.. he he) I owe that to my people, my culture, and above everything, my country!

----basically, I'm recognizing the effect the country has had on me since I was a child to today. Not a day goes by without thinking about something related to the country, whether it's the people, the culture, the food, the music, etc.------

-NALs

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
"Not a day goes by without thinking about something related to the country, whether it's the people, the culture, the food, the music, etc.------"

That, is a beautiful and an envyable thing! In spite of all of the obvious problems and challenges the Dominican Republic faces, and they have been more than adequately chronicled in this Forum, I can nevertheless understand how a native Dominican can feel that way!

BrianKeegan

Nov 4, 2006
Wow Nice post I actually read the entire post.

I used to go to Dominican a lot I am irish american but I grew up in jersey city new jersey and go to know a lot of dominicans. I used to be in the US MArines and I am a computer consultant so i traveled a lot of the world

Your country has some of the nicest folk inthe world and I alost always go to santo somingo

Now that I am sober for almost 5 years and ant to on a vacation to celebrate a new job I can afford to go where ever I darn well please I am going back to santo domingo for the exact reason you posted " the people'

I am even going by my self and prolly only kow a few words in spanish ut if the country is still the same I am sure I will find some ne to talk to

Have a good one man

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Sounds nice, kinda reminds me of Montevideo. Thanks, this is helping me wrap my head around living there - never been, but I'll be there in about week, staying for a few months. I look forward to it!!