The Waterfront Restaurant Review

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
SosuaJoe said:
I've been eating at the waterfront on and off for years, ever since it opened with David Hall.

I've always found the food to be quite good (sometimes better than others, but always more than adequate).

The service has always been excellent.

A couple of points about overpriced. It's unfortunate but true that the latest peso/dollar 'adjustment' has meant that food prices have gone through the roof. Most if not all restaurants, and especially those dealing with imported or 'high-ticket' items, have had to raise their prices considerably to keep up. Prices that used to be unheard of are now the norm. The national hotel and restaurant association has just come out and said that hotels are operating at a 40:1 dollar to peso level (which is to say that prices are set to 40:1) and 'eating' the difference. Likewise restaurants in the capital now cost more than in Miami. Now whether or not the prices at the Waterfront are overpriced is a matter of opinion, but when forming your opinion, please keep that in mind.

As for the dollar/peso exchange -- really no idea why it would be at 22:1. At our new a la carte restaurant (which I will refrain from plugging here) we price in dollars with the option to pay in pesos at a comparable rate to the banks.

If I may make a suggstion without getting piled on and without seeming to criticize, why not take your complaint directly to Bob White, who runs the show over there? His website is www.hotelwaterfrontdr.com although I don't know his email address. While it won't give the same sense of evening the score as posting this complaint on a public forum, it will go further in getting the issue resolved. Who knows, he might even appreciate the feedback and make adjustments.

As for me, I'll keep going to the Waterfront, not only because I enjoy it there, but because I like Bob and want to see him do well. Maybe not the best reason to go to a restaurant, but it will do for me.

Best,

Joe
Sometimes the food has been down right bad. Dry fish is my biggest complaint. I put up with the "just fair" food for the view, service and because you never get rushed out. I usually only go there when I have visitors and not on my own. I don't need the view or atmosphere and would rather have a better cheaper meal out and be amoung other expats at a place like Rockys or La Roca.

I am sure that Bob knows what the score is. The waiters didn't try to rip me off and suggested a credit card because that would be cheaper. They didn't get the "extra" tip because I was completely insulted at 22 to 1 when the rate was 28.25 the next day at Banco Santo Cruz.

You know I just think it was a real stupid thing for them to do expecially to a resident. They will get the feedback from here, there is no need to contact them in my opinion. If the guy doesn't know what is going on in his restaurant then he doesn't either deserve or need my business.

What are you talking about peso dollar adjustments? You make no sense. Price for imported stuff has to be less and what the heck does domestic production have to do with the DOLLAR?

If they are losing money it is because they priced themselves out of the market by raising prices and have many less customers. In the three hours I was there with 3 others there were only 6 people in the whole restaurant other than my party. They had as many employees as customers. That is a recipe for losing money!

I don't wish them bad. I wish them that they learn a lesson and not rip people off.

Escott

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
On the Waterfront

the Waterfront ........ yes ,well what can I say. Some time ago, we were staying in the Waterfront hotel for 3 weeks. My husband, my two small children and I. One day we decided to have lunch. The lunch menu card is simpler, different and cheaper. It was 5 minutes to 2 pm, and lunch is being served until 2pm. They gave us the dinner menu card. After asking for the lunch menu, they just said lunch was being served until 2 pm. When I told them and showed them it was 5 to 2pm, they just said it was not. Even their own clock was saying 2 minutes to 2. I know I was right, because I have a good watch. But really, service ???? Binding clients ???? Well, you tell me. We stood up, went away and never ate there again (during our vacation).
Another thing that I have never understood is that 26% on top of the bill. I mean some places in the world add a 10% or a 12%, but 26% !!!!!?????
If you are going to charge 26% on top of the bill, you BETTER change your prices, because this is at least misleading, if not deceiving.
By the way, one day some friends invited me to have dinner there. The little note at the bottom of the pricelist that says prices are excluding 26% tax and service, was professionally hidden under the leather strap of the menu book. What a surprise it was when that bill came up.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MrMike said:
The guy's a friend of mine and talked me through a really tough time I was having a few years back.

Is there a chance he was away and his employees were either acting on old instructions or taking advantage of his absence to pocket some extra cash?

In DR restaurant employees can be real scammers, often ripping off customers without the owners knowlege. It would sure be nice to hear from Bob White about this.

I realise that from a customer standpoint there is no difference and getting screwed is getting screwed whether the owner of the establishment knows about it or not, but one guy cannot be expected to know every single thing that happens in his restaurant.

I have stayed out of this topic until now for reasons that most might understand - others that don't, sorry I have no desire to explain. However, having seen the two reasoned posts by MrMike & SosuaJoe I can concur that Bob White is NOT a scheister & may have good reason (if he DOES know) for charging dollar conversions as he does. I suggest we let him put his views before casatgating him PERSONALLY! In the WHOLE of the 11, maybe 12 years that I have known Bob White, I have NEVER experienced any endeavour to overcharge or mislead anyone. He has been here far too long to do stupid things & has a GOOD reputation not only in Sosua, but along the North Coast generally. A bit doo-lally about remembering things(always had to remind him as to when my car insurances were due & to get my policy round to me!!!) maybe, but NOT dishonest!!

My confusion here is not so much about the conversion rate because HAD the original poater HAD the pesos, none of this would have arisen. If I had been going out to a restaurant to entertain people, I would have KNOWN what was in my wallet, would have KNOWN what to order off the menu to keep costs down to what I could afford IN PESOS, would have had my credit card available to pay IN PESOS if I had to exceed the budget I had set myself OR, have made sure I changed sufficient PESOS to be able to pay for the whoe meal no matter WHAT my guest ordered! After all, the menu WOULD have shown prices for everyones meal wouldn't it? So I would have KNOWN prior to the bill coming roughly how much it was going to run out at!!

Maybe I have a little bit more simpatico for the country & it's currency, maybe I tend to put DAMAGE Control into operation before I go out, but for SURE I would not have a go at a respected person Or the establishment he runs because I & my guests had ordered in excess of what I had budgeted for.

Come on Bob - where are you to respond? You can come use MY computer free of charge! I know how tight fisted you are ;) !!

Cessie,
16% is the official Value added or Sales tax of the Government & the additional 10% is the service charge put on by most institutions. I can not comment as to the positioning of the notification relating to the menu folder strap as I have not seen the menu in the folder & even so, was this the Restaurants fault or that of the printer (you have to have lived here sometime & dealt with printers to understand THAT comment!!) ~ Grahame.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
undecided

BushBaby said:
My confusion here is not so much about the conversion rate because HAD the original poater HAD the pesos, none of this would have arisen. If I had been going out to a restaurant to entertain people, I would have KNOWN what was in my wallet, would have KNOWN what to order off the menu to keep costs down to what I could afford IN PESOS, would have had my credit card available to pay IN PESOS if I had to exceed the budget I had set myself OR, have made sure I changed sufficient PESOS to be able to pay for the whoe meal no matter WHAT my guest ordered! After all, the menu WOULD have shown prices for everyones meal wouldn't it? So I would have KNOWN prior to the bill coming roughly how much it was going to run out at!!

I must be getting old because I can't quite decide whether you sound like my wife or my 1ST grade school teacher. HMMM?

JOHNE

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
BushBaby said:
My confusion here is not so much about the conversion rate because HAD the original poater HAD the pesos, none of this would have arisen.

There is something here that most do not understand. If you live in the area, you WOULD ;) know this. In Cabarete and Sosua it is not necessary to pay in Pesos. It is accepted practice to pay in Dollars. Most establishments, restaurants, the supermercado, the shoe shine boys, etc., accept Dollars. There is an exchange house, exchange person just about on every corner. The rate is posted on just about every flat surface... ;) and every merchant knows the rate just about up to the minute. I never check my wallet to see if I have either enough Dollars or Pesos. It is not necessary in Cabarete/Sosua as either currency is accepted. It is a little different from the rest of the Dominican Republic and I would not try this in another town or city. These two towns, because of the tourist town nature, work a little different with money than the rest of the Dominican Reublic. I do not know if Euros are as readily accepted, but would expect so.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Cessie said:
If you are going to charge 26% on top of the bill, you BETTER change your prices, because this is at least misleading, if not deceiving.
By the way, one day some friends invited me to have dinner there. The little note at the bottom of the pricelist that says prices are excluding 26% tax and service, was professionally hidden under the leather strap of the menu book. What a surprise it was when that bill came up.

Both the 10% and the 16% are required by law, the 10% is supposed to be a forced tip devided up by the employees and the 16% is sales tax. This is why I seldom tip in this country unless the service is truly remarkable, and even then I take into account the fact that I have already been forced to tip 10%.

I am a former big tipper and am aware of all the arguments in favor of tipping anyway, but in practicality I have found that generosity in the DR attracts parasites and leeches, (that will turn on you at first opportunity) encourages laziness rather than generating good karma as one might expect.

/rant

A lot of North Coast restaurants include these in their menu prices, but it is not standard for restaurants in the interior to do this, the 26% gets added on at the end.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
will try to explain

Escott:

"What are you talking about peso dollar adjustments? You make no sense. Price for imported stuff has to be less and what the heck does domestic production have to do with the DOLLAR?"

Not sure if you're even interested, but I'll try to explain it to you.

ALL prices went up when the dollar went up, not just imported stuff. Chicken, eggs, pork, etc all increased in price, despite being domestic product. Why? Various reasons, including the increased price in electricity, gasoline, wages (somewhat) and also the general inflation rate (chicken ranchers have expenses too), not to mention opportunism on the part of many.

When the peso was 'readjusted' down to the mid-20's, prices were slow to drop. High ticket items (like for example those served in restaurants like the Waterfront) were and remain slower to drop than the 'canasta familial' prices (rice, beans, rum, etc).

Also, most of those who bought imported items when the peso was at 55:1 want to recoup that inventory at 55:1.

The net effect of this is higher food costs for restaurants, which means higher menu prices. This in and of itself is not price gouging, but rather a necessary response to a change in prices. Whether or not Bob has increased his prices excessively, I don't know, as I haven't been there in a bit, but my point is that high prices do not necessarily equate to overpriced.

Another example is our own new restaurant. I deliberately run a high food cost (as a percentage of menu price) because if I ran the Canadian industry standard for food cost (28%), I would price myself completely out of the market. Not having to pay rent on the space helps me be able to put a table d'hote out for $30 - $35 when anyone else would have to charge $45-$50 for the same plate (if they could offer it). Nevertheless, some people have told me that it's too expensive at $30 -$35. My answer is that there is a difference between 'too expensive' and 'more than I'm willing to pay for a meal today'. One is a pricing issue, the other a client budget issue.

With regards to the 26%. Not sure what the basis for complaint against a restaurant is here. By law, restaurants, hotels etc are obliged to charge and then redistribute amongst the employees a 10% service charge as well as charge the 16% tax. Not an option. Many restaurants will exempt locals from the tax, but by law they are still obliged to pay out the 10 and the 16, which means that (assuming they are reporting correctly) they're simply discounting you 26% or in other words, assuming that cost.

But more to the point -- you have what would appear to be a legitimate complaint with regards to the 22:1 exchange rate. Why you would prefer to come on a public forum and essentially call Bob a crook rather than send him a simple email is beyond me. Obviously in a public forum, you're free to write and do whatever you like. I simply think that in this particular case, you might have handled things better had you handled things differently.

In summary:

Bob = good
22:1 = bad
Waterfront= good for me, bad for you

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
BushBaby said:
I have stayed out of this topic until now for reasons that most might understand - others that don't, sorry I have no desire to explain.

Maybe I have a little bit more simpatico for the country & it's currency, maybe I tend to put DAMAGE Control into operation before I go out, but for SURE I would not have a go at a respected person Or the establishment he runs because I & my guests had ordered in excess of what I had budgeted for.
First of all anyone that knows you knows "you would be trying to figure out who other than you would be paying the bill" before you worried about how much the bill was going to be. I have seen this in action personally.

I express an opinion that 22 to 1 is a rip off. This is my opinion that I posted and not anyone elses although many have agreed with me. I feel free to mention my experiences on here so others know the score. I have no other motives but to help people unlike some others here and most of the people on this message board understand this also and I won't bother explaining to those that don't.

Whether I had enough pesos in my pocket or I paid with a credit card or Dollars should be no concern to anyone regarding the fact that they were giving 22 pesos to 1 dollar when they gave me 28.25 the next day at Banco Santo Cruz. This is UNLIKE MOST OTHER PLACES and thought it should be brought to the attention of others and I couldnt care less how you or Tor or anyother feels about my experiences that I post here.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
SosuaJoe said:
Escott:

"What are you talking about peso dollar adjustments? You make no sense. Price for imported stuff has to be less and what the heck does domestic production have to do with the DOLLAR?"

Not sure if you're even interested, but I'll try to explain it to you.

ALL prices went up when the dollar went up, not just imported stuff. Chicken, eggs, pork, etc all increased in price, despite being domestic product. Why? Various reasons, including the increased price in electricity, gasoline, wages (somewhat) and also the general inflation rate (chicken ranchers have expenses too), not to mention opportunism on the part of many.

When the peso was 'readjusted' down to the mid-20's, prices were slow to drop. High ticket items (like for example those served in restaurants like the Waterfront) were and remain slower to drop than the 'canasta familial' prices (rice, beans, rum, etc).

Also, most of those who bought imported items when the peso was at 55:1 want to recoup that inventory at 55:1.

The net effect of this is higher food costs for restaurants, which means higher menu prices. This in and of itself is not price gouging, but rather a necessary response to a change in prices. Whether or not Bob has increased his prices excessively, I don't know, as I haven't been there in a bit, but my point is that high prices do not necessarily equate to overpriced.

Another example is our own new restaurant. I deliberately run a high food cost (as a percentage of menu price) because if I ran the Canadian industry standard for food cost (28%), I would price myself completely out of the market. Not having to pay rent on the space helps me be able to put a table d'hote out for $30 - $35 when anyone else would have to charge $45-$50 for the same plate (if they could offer it). Nevertheless, some people have told me that it's too expensive at $30 -$35. My answer is that there is a difference between 'too expensive' and 'more than I'm willing to pay for a meal today'. One is a pricing issue, the other a client budget issue.

With regards to the 26%. Not sure what the basis for complaint against a restaurant is here. By law, restaurants, hotels etc are obliged to charge and then redistribute amongst the employees a 10% service charge as well as charge the 16% tax. Not an option. Many restaurants will exempt locals from the tax, but by law they are still obliged to pay out the 10 and the 16, which means that (assuming they are reporting correctly) they're simply discounting you 26% or in other words, assuming that cost.

But more to the point -- you have what would appear to be a legitimate complaint with regards to the 22:1 exchange rate. Why you would prefer to come on a public forum and essentially call Bob a crook rather than send him a simple email is beyond me. Obviously in a public forum, you're free to write and do whatever you like. I simply think that in this particular case, you might have handled things better had you handled things differently.

In summary:

Bob = good
22:1 = bad
Waterfront= good for me, bad for you

I called NO ONE a CROOK. I said 22 to 1 was a rip off and way off what the common practice is in Sosua/Cabarete that I have experienced. I also said I found it insulting. If you want to interpret this practice as being a CROOK I wouldn't argue with you because you are entitled to your opinion. The purpose of this message board it to let others know what is going on here not to promote someones business or to help someone run a business correctly.

If you think it is proper to charge for food paid last October because that is when the peso reached the Strength it is now NOW I think that is crazy.

If Restaurants are charging high prices now to recoup 55 to 1 costs now
A restaurant would have to be using 12 month old food to cook now and if that is a fact they should be put out of business.

Any foods that are imported are CHEAPER now because of the weak dollar/Euro/Sterling. Why would prices be 25-50% higher than they were in August? Explain that to me other than saying they are using inventory purchased at 55 pesos to 1 dollar which would make that food over a year old.

FWIW, I am a supporter of business and have always been. I have been a business man all my life. If someone does something I feel is dead wrong I will say so. 22 to 1 is dead wrong! If I had a relationship with the man I probably would have seeked him out to give him a piece of my mind. I asked for him that night at dinner but he wasn't there. I don't feel I owe him anything. I let the waiters know my discontent at the restaurant and I posted here to let other buyers beware.

I was not ripped off that I know of. I used a credit card which I thankfully had in my car. We had enough pesos at the table to pay in pesos and others wanted to pay the whole check. Point is that "I" wanted to pay the check and not let others pay. I was about 100 pesos short till I changed money the next day but had US $ in the safe and brought them just in case.

Point is 22 to 1 is an insult to me. I hope you are not in the same frame of mind in your restaurant. Welcome to the board BTW.

Escott

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
last post for a while...

Escott:

Apologies if I mistook your saying 4-5 times that someone ripped you off as you meaning that he was a crook. I'm sure you can see where someone might draw that conclusion. Glad to have been wrong on this one -- Bob's a lot of things, but a crook isn't one of them and I'm glad we can agree on that.

Can't say that I disagree with you on the 22:1, and in fact I disagree with those who say you should have had pesos to begin with.

Won't go over the peso exchange thing again, except to say that costs all across the board are much higher relative to the dollar than they were a year ago, and that that reflects in the prices paid both at the wholesale and retail level. If you think restaurants are buying chicken, steak or even beer at the same peso price as 12 months ago, I can assure you that we are not. None of the costs have lowered enough to roll back the drastic increases following the 55:1 dollar. As I said in a previous post, the national hotel association calculates costs across the board as being around 40:1, which is to say that the dollar would have to be at 40:1 to exchange for enough pesos to be on a par with last year's prices. (I'd have thought it was higher, and am still surprised it's only 40:1 instead of 45 or 50)

Hate to pull out the 'I know better than you' card, but when it comes to the cost of raw materials in restaurants in Sosua, it's not really a matter of everyone having their own opinion, but a matter of mathematics. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if some people are taking advantage of the currency fluctuation to cash in, and in fact I've chewed out and blacklisted more than one supplier for that exact reason.

All that aside, I completely understand your being p!ssed. I get few chances to eat out, and when a restaurant drops the ball not only is my money wasted but my evening as well. As I said, you have legitimate reason for complaint. I would only hope that should you ever find fault with the way I do business that you would bring it to my attention first so that I could make whatever corrections I felt appropriate before taking it to a public forum.

As for my own restaurant, I'm trying really hard not to plug it, as this is not the appripriate place -- that being said we price in US and accept pesos at last count at 29:1 for easy math.

Thanks for the welcome to the board. I don't post much, as I've found that for every well-reasoned post (even those I disagree with) there are 20 rants and outright absurdities -- the whole prostitution 'debate' being an example.

Hope your next outing works out better for you. While I think this summer will be better than last, the restaurants in Sosua need all the help they can get during the summer months.

Best,

Joe

PS: FWIW -- what does that mean?

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Even if you pay in Pesos

in the Waterfront (what I did the last time I've been there), some months ago, it is largely overpriced for the poor quality of the food. As I told the waiters, the service was quite good, but that the food was not. The meat was dry, they served to my wife a "steak Tartare" (very fine cut raw beef meat with herbs, this is almost one of the national dishes in Belgium, my home country, where we call this "Filet Am?ricain") that was an insult to gastronomy, I guess my dog would not have eaten it.

Even if you pay in pesos, the prices are much exaggerated. I have no problem paying a high price when the foot is good. When it's not, it's daylight robbery. I will never go back to this place and I told allmy friends to do the same. I really hope they lose most of their clients, althought they will always find tourists that will come just because they were told it was nice :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To me all of this ?explanation? of pricing means zero. If a restaurant has bad food at high prices I do not need them. The Waterfront wins on both counts.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
SosuaJoe said:
Escott:

Apologies if I mistook your saying 4-5 times that someone ripped you off as you meaning that he was a crook. I'm sure you can see where someone might draw that conclusion. Glad to have been wrong on this one -- Bob's a lot of things, but a crook isn't one of them and I'm glad we can agree on that.

Can't say that I disagree with you on the 22:1, and in fact I disagree with those who say you should have had pesos to begin with.

Won't go over the peso exchange thing again, except to say that costs all across the board are much higher relative to the dollar than they were a year ago, and that that reflects in the prices paid both at the wholesale and retail level. If you think restaurants are buying chicken, steak or even beer at the same peso price as 12 months ago, I can assure you that we are not. None of the costs have lowered enough to roll back the drastic increases following the 55:1 dollar. As I said in a previous post, the national hotel association calculates costs across the board as being around 40:1, which is to say that the dollar would have to be at 40:1 to exchange for enough pesos to be on a par with last year's prices. (I'd have thought it was higher, and am still surprised it's only 40:1 instead of 45 or 50)

Hate to pull out the 'I know better than you' card, but when it comes to the cost of raw materials in restaurants in Sosua, it's not really a matter of everyone having their own opinion, but a matter of mathematics. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if some people are taking advantage of the currency fluctuation to cash in, and in fact I've chewed out and blacklisted more than one supplier for that exact reason.

All that aside, I completely understand your being p!ssed. I get few chances to eat out, and when a restaurant drops the ball not only is my money wasted but my evening as well. As I said, you have legitimate reason for complaint. I would only hope that should you ever find fault with the way I do business that you would bring it to my attention first so that I could make whatever corrections I felt appropriate before taking it to a public forum.

As for my own restaurant, I'm trying really hard not to plug it, as this is not the appripriate place -- that being said we price in US and accept pesos at last count at 29:1 for easy math.

Thanks for the welcome to the board. I don't post much, as I've found that for every well-reasoned post (even those I disagree with) there are 20 rants and outright absurdities -- the whole prostitution 'debate' being an example.

Hope your next outing works out better for you. While I think this summer will be better than last, the restaurants in Sosua need all the help they can get during the summer months.

Best,

Joe

PS: FWIW -- what does that mean?
Well like I said, I paid with a credit card and unless there is outright fraud such as many charges on it in the DR after using it only at The Waterfront I did not lose a penny.

I just found it insulting at 22 pesos to one dollar and to me that is just like telling someone "Please do not return to my restaurant" and I will have to listen to that and go to other places.

Glad to see that you are giving 29 pesos to 1 dollar. Very good of you to do that. That is telling me "please come to my restaurant" and I would like to go there if I havent already and try it now that you have said that. If you do nothing to "insult" me I would be happy to offer recommendations and suggestions to you. Please remember I did ask for Bob but he wasn't there.
You shouldnt do anything at your restaurant that would invite public scrutiny such as what developed on here.

I thought that I was posting a fair post based on what I experienced. I didn't exaggerate and only stated the facts. Again, if you don't know what is going on at YOUR restaurant "shame on you" if that was the case. Just didn't seem to me that an employee was trying to rip me off because he suggested using a credit card, but was the policy of the establishment to take someone over the coals who may not know better.

Please check your PM or email as I am going to enquire which place is yours.

Scratch that Robert said it is ok for you to tell us. Next time Robert is here I will take him in to meet you and try your food.

So, what the heck is the name?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
My place

Sorry, guys, wasn't trying to be coy. It's just that I don't want to be one of those people who turns a public forum into a self-promoting vehicle.

But since robert from dr1 insists... ;) (and please feel more than free to delete or move this post if it's as inappropriate as I think it is)

We've opened up a new restaurant at Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort called Joseph's Grill & Grape. It's right on the point over the water (between our existing restaurant and the beach we share with Casa Marina), so if you've been to the resort, you know the view.

Seating is limited with 7 tables and 30 chairs -- trying to keep it small and intimate.

It's open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 7PM on.

Style is fusion grill with recipes and marinades from all over the world. Menu is table d'hote (your choice of 2 apps, 3 mains and 2 desserts plus coffee). We change the menu every week not only to offer the freshest ingredients, but also to be able to offer something different for locals who are tired of the same thing from many restaurants, no matter how good that same thing is. Our operations manager, Marc Naudts, used to be the executive chef when we had the Garden of Eden Restaurant a few years back, so those of you who know him know what he's capable of in the kitchen.

Imported NY strips with specialty marinades are a staple of our menu -- some other examples of our dishes include (real) maple syrup glazed bacon wrapped banana shrimp kebobs, goat cheese and spinach stuffed spicy pork tenderloin, Balinese Peanut Butter Shrimp Kebabs -- you get the idea. Chocolate fondue is generally one of the desserts, so you can imagine how fat I'm getting...

Prices are in the $30 - $35 range for the meal (again: including app, dessert and coffee).

So far we've been getting rave reviews and lots of repeat business from the locals, but we could always use some help to get the word out.

Anyways, that's all the hijacking I'll do on this thread. I hope some of you will come try us out, and I'll repeat my recommendation of the Waterfront restaurant -- while it's unfortunate they seem to have run afoul of a few people, I really enjoy the place and many others do as well.

Best,

Joe

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
BushBaby said:
I have stayed out of this topic until now for reasons that most might understand - others that don't, sorry I have no desire to explain. However, having seen the two reasoned posts by MrMike & SosuaJoe I can concur that Bob White is NOT a scheister & may have good reason (if he DOES know) for charging dollar conversions as he does. I suggest we let him put his views before casatgating him PERSONALLY! In the WHOLE of the 11, maybe 12 years that I have known Bob White, I have NEVER experienced any endeavour to overcharge or mislead anyone. He has been here far too long to do stupid things & has a GOOD reputation not only in Sosua, but along the North Coast generally. A bit doo-lally about remembering things(always had to remind him as to when my car insurances were due & to get my policy round to me!!!) maybe, but NOT dishonest!!

Come on Bob - where are you to respond? You can come use MY computer free of charge! I know how tight fisted you are ;) !!

Cessie,
16% is the official Value added or Sales tax of the Government & the additional 10% is the service charge put on by most institutions. I can not comment as to the positioning of the notification relating to the menu folder strap as I have not seen the menu in the folder & even so, was this the Restaurants fault or that of the printer (you have to have lived here sometime & dealt with printers to understand THAT comment!!) ~ Grahame.
The printing was fine, it was clear on the piece of paper, it was just hidden and written in really small letters, even the waiter had a hard time finding it, to show us that it's really there in the menu. He had to take the menu out of the cover! So is it on purpose or not, i don't know..doesn't matter anymore..Very well,..I understand the tax-service thing, therefore I don't tip more if service is already being charged. All well, I just don't go there anymore just because I had those two bad experiences there. I just don't think it's worth it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
SosuaJoe, I'll be sure to check your place out on my next visit to Sosua in a 2-3 weeks. You might even get a visit from Dolores over the weekend as she is up and about on the North Coast and Samana for the next few days.