The World’s Best Places to Retire in 2018

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
These lists will give you an idea of places that are better than others to retire to however there are so many factors involved in moving to a foreign country to live. you can probably use it as a guide.

Agree and I believe that was the premise the list was made on.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Russell,

A very different view and approach on your part. The questions is interesting; coming here to get away from our roots as oppose to the features available at host country, right?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As Matilda stated, the contributor's responses are limited in scope because those were the parameters for the study that this particular publication chose to align with. It is this particular publication's business module. Most people can not make rational life changing decisions according to simple yes or no answers of questions that deserve significantly more insight. No doubt that Matilda did her best to comply with the survey, and I do not believe anybody is questioning her experience or ability to assess situations and garner facts here in the RD, but again as explained, her hands were tied by the limits that the respective publication allowed within it's questioning format.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Getting away from the roots - or past- is often the case.....oddly enough.
Hence the amount of single , older men..... here and elsewhere.

Personally, I decided in 2007 that RD was the place.

Biggest reason? Ease of residency with no obligations attached (like minimum stay or investment)
I had zero Spanish

First stop on that trip was Guzman's office to sign up.... January 2008

I'd be curious to hear the short answer form The Gringo about his decision........
when was that 2013-14 ??

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Russell,

A very different view and approach on your part. The questions is interesting; coming here to get away from our roots as oppose to the features available at host country, right?

Right, but would it eliminate Dr1ers who do not actually live here and is that fair?
For instance: I arrived here because of Business Interests in North Shore and Santo Domingo.
What happened after I arrived here had nothing to do with International Living references.
AS to the questions Matilda presented .... I do get all benefits as a Senior Citizen in Nova Scotia.
Free Medical and copay for medicine, subsidized rent ,discounts up to 15% everywhere from Restaurants to Hotels., free
hospitalization, If my income was low I would receive subsidized oil purchases.
WE all pay taxes , but I would receive rebates .
But the weather is here in RD...quite a difference. Except August when the North Shore RD is cooler than where I live by 5 c.
I appreciate what Matilda does for IL , but also sympathize with her .... don't shoot the messenger ...
By the way my opinions may change from time to time depending upon the day and my surroundings.
Russell

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks to both JasonD and Russell for their contributions to this board, really interesting stuff. 

I think I speak for the entire mod board in letting you know we see you and are wishing you well....

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
My pleasure!

Its nice to encounter people with different and objective views when i t comes to choosing a place for the golden years of retirement.

I'm far off from this decision myself but it does provide a clear lead-way to make a rather easy transition when time comes.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-peddicord/retire-to-the-dominican-republic_b_7546694.html

http://www.escapeartist.com/dominican-republic/retire/retiring-dominican-republic/

https://www.coralbayrealestate.com/index.php/faq-s/retirement-benefits.html

"The Dominican Republic is also one of the most affordable spots in the whole of the Caribbean, a place where you could embrace a white-sand retirement even if your retirement nest egg is nothing more than a monthly Social Security check. If you can swing a travel budget, island-hopping around the Caribbean could be your new retirement hobby from this convenient base."

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.c...ffordable-retirement-choice-in-the-caribbean/

How many here live off of SS only?

SS won't be my only income when time arrives but I highly doubt this (living off of SS as only source of income) could be accomplished in the DR?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathleen-peddicord/retire-to-the-dominican-republic_b_7546694.html

http://www.escapeartist.com/dominican-republic/retire/retiring-dominican-republic/

https://www.coralbayrealestate.com/index.php/faq-s/retirement-benefits.html

"The Dominican Republic is also one of the most affordable spots in the whole of the Caribbean, a place where you could embrace a white-sand retirement even if your retirement nest egg is nothing more than a monthly Social Security check. If you can swing a travel budget, island-hopping around the Caribbean could be your new retirement hobby from this convenient base."

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.c...ffordable-retirement-choice-in-the-caribbean/

How many here live off of SS only?

SS won't be my only income when time arrives but I highly doubt this (living off of SS as only source of income) could be accomplished in the DR?

Much of the populace within RD gets by on much less, and are happy. If you plan on "retiring" to an expatriate locale attempting to find the spoils that exist in some parts of European and North American society, you will be in for a very rude awakening.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you live carefully, I think you can do it cheaply.
Minimal imported foods etc.
Local produce, meats, fish.. we do it that way - more for health than $$

Interesting in the IL article how many lost weight w/o trying..... speaks for itself.

In my retirement case,
was looking at direct flights (Canada & USA) and few to zero residency obligations.

we were 'countryless' at the time and that doesn't work well..... in fact doesn't work at all

Close to FLA was a plus.... which we have never used

Health -
there is International as well as the local system for insurance.

US citizens never escape the tax problems - other citizens can.

No tax is a huge plus.... like found money

Let others speak to the SS income... as said, I am not American

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Back to the Retirement Index. The point is (I think) that the DR does not have the raft of benefits for the over 60s/65s that many other countries have. These include free prescriptions, free or discounted travel on all public transport including trains and planes, free medical tests for such things as diabetes, discounted cinema and theatre tickets, etc. However, the respect for elder people here is immense, and in the electricity office, the banks, elder citizens will always be taken to the front of the queue - but there was no question on that. Where would I rather be retired? DR or UK? DR no question.

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'd be curious to hear the short answer form The Gringo about his decision........
when was that 2013-14 ??

Practicality. Didn't have to explain to most people where the DR was. Relatively easy to get my things here. Had some general knowledge about living here already. It is an easy and quick trip home if I need to go there for some reason.

Despite the electricity going off frequently and slow/expensive internet, this place was at the time miles ahead of some other countries we looked at. Climate - as hot gets here in Aug/Sept., Panama is seriously hotter.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Is the USA SS over $1500.oo a month?
Wow if it is.
But is it not correct that if we want to retire here we must produce at least $1500.ooUS of government supported income or $2500.oo of Non Government pension funds?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
But is it not correct that if we want to retire here we must produce at least $1500.ooUS of government supported income or $2500.oo of Non Government pension funds?

Doesn't have to be government supported - any pension over that amount will do. The US$2,000 is for income from other sources such as rental income. Or you can be an investor in the country - US$200,000 I think, or have ties to the country in terms of a wife/husband/kids or a contract of work here. You can't (supposedly) get residency if you just want to get on a plane and come here and work online for an overseas company for example.

Matilda

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Is the USA SS over $1500.oo a month?
Wow if it is.

SS income varies by individual, mine will be far more than that but I am not counting with it as my only source anyways, in fact, my retirement income (when it arrives) will far surpassed the 2,500 threshold many times over, si Dios quiere in good Dominican lingo.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Practicality. Didn't have to explain to most people where the DR was. Relatively easy to get my things here. Had some general knowledge about living here already. It is an easy and quick trip home if I need to go there for some reason.

Despite the electricity going off frequently and slow/expensive internet, this place was at the time miles ahead of some other countries we looked at. Climate - as hot gets here in Aug/Sept., Panama is seriously hotter.

The lack of constant supply of electricity is a huge let down, I personally hate it so much.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
SS income varies by individual, mine will be far more than that but I am not counting with it as my only source anyways, in fact, my retirement income (when it arrives) will far surpassed the 2,500 threshold many times over, si Dios quiere in good Dominican lingo.

I am certainly in the same 'boat' as you... but I do know others in Canada who live on Canada Pension and Old Age Security
What they do not realize is that once out of the country as a non-resident OAS cuts in half. They are looking for places to retire where the money will spread a bit more than say northern Ontario. AT least that is what I have been told.

I find that about $3500 US here looks after all the necessities including Rum (on occasionally )... I could spend more, but it would be such a waste.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Biggest reason? Ease of residency with no obligations attached (like minimum stay or investment)

I had zero Spanish

You have highlighted a compelling reason, for those that have the Caribbean in their blood, being able to reside here permanently easily.

I was in the Caribbean many years before and came back to run what was considered the very best boutique high end resort through the construction phase. The focus as the project wound down was to put down some roots. Having a DR partner at the time helped with that decision but it was a no brainer to settle in DR. Obtaining residency was dirt cheap and so easy then and has given me my gateway to all the islands and the place I will reside until I rest in a box.

I simply enjoy a sense of belonging every time I fly into the country as I did this afternoon over Haina and the western part of the city with superb vistas to the west and the mountains before landing at La Isabela and reunion with my lovely lady after a short business trip.

I know DR has imperfections but the positives out weigh by far the bad. I don't much care for western comforts anymore and in fact to dissociate from them can be a positive thing. I feel without doubt I am more bush than Brit and feel blessed I found this country.

It may not be top of the retirees list based upon the parameters set for those retirees who are unlikely to be in the same mould as me.

And why retire if you still feel young at heart and body? Enjoy this diverse country.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like You J

I wound up liking it...
Had that not happened... easy to maintain the status...
but C'est la vie

Not to say I don't enjoy my 3 countries.....
but this is the main one

Just a certain time of life for a certain lifestyle...

who knows?? -- Who cares ??

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The lack of constant supply of electricity is a huge let down, I personally hate it so much.

Power problem and high speed problem is where you reside..Claro fibre and usually only scheduled outages 1/2 day here..