There Goes the Neighbourhood - Hell's Angels Bunker North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
These guys have been around Cabarete for years. To date they have not given anyone problems of any kind that I have heard of.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
These guys have been around Cabarete for years. To date they have not given anyone problems of any kind that I have heard of.

Didn't local residents say the same thing when this topic came up last year?

Yes, we may be a little presumptuous at this time, but isn't it better to be proactive than reactive.

One step would be to alert pharmacies (if anyone on this board has any clout with any pharmacists, that would be all the better) and get the main ingrediant, psuedoephedrine, off the shelves.

Not really Marlie. What is sold in farmacias is I believe under the control of Public Health Dept. or some Govt. dept. so the individual wouldn't have much of a part to play. And how many expats here, in all reality, are going to start AND work on a public campaign?

I have visions of well meaning expats going to farmacias & explaining the issue & being mistaken for people who wanted to set up meth labs........;) i.e. making themselves targets for a bit of police extortion etc etc.

Please..............exercise streetsmarts. :cheeky:

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Didn't local residents say the same thing when this topic came up last year?

Not really Marlie. What is sold in farmacias is I believe under the control of Public Health Dept. or some Govt. dept. so the individual wouldn't have much of a part to play. And how many expats here, in all reality, are going to start AND work on a public campaign?

I have visions of well meaning expats going to farmacias & explaining the issue & being mistaken for people who wanted to set up meth labs........;) i.e. making themselves targets for a bit of police extortion etc etc.

Please..............exercise streetsmarts. :cheeky:

Lambada, you are right, of course.

It is just because it is so prevelant in my area, I see what it does to people and I would hate to see it happen in my beloved DR! I guess I am just a little over-zealous, or what I like to call "passionate".

Anyway, apparantly, there is nothing to worry about - according to some posters the HA that live there are good, law-abiding citizens that cause no problems, and are even polite!!

Cabarete -you can have them - all of them!

Marlie

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is another thread where the posters that do not even live in the DR, much less Cabarete think they know more than the ones that do live here.

I can say this living here, if all the expats in the area conducted themselves like the HA this would be an even better place to live than it is now.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Right now they are having a documentary on the history channel about gangs in The US and they are talking about the Hells Angels and how violent they are...How ironic...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Now they are talking about how they control the meth trade, are involved in "murder for hire", stripper shakedowns and other schemes, and continue to expand throughout the US and the world.

Interesting things I didn't know is that they are structured just like the military with ranks of sargent, captain, intelligence adviser, etc..Also the minutes of meetings held by chapters are sent to headquarter where they are examined for potential "risky" words and other things.

If you're a hell's angel and you fall out of favor they come and take your vest and any tattoo of the hells angel logo you may have in your body is also ripped out, sanded off, whatever (according to the documentary).

Apparently their biggest rivals are another bike gang called The Mongols (which are mostly from the US southwest).

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
This is another thread where the posters that do not even live in the DR, much less Cabarete think they know more than the ones that do live here.

I can say this living here, if all the expats in the area conducted themselves like the HA this would be an even better place to live than it is now.

Well, it sounds like Cabarete will definitely be on the upswing if only the gringos would behave like the Hells Angels!?!?!? Sorry, my 2 stroke 125 just can?t rattle the zinc walls like a hog, and I don?t do tattoo removal, forcibly or otherwise. I do have one tattoo, a Dominican one, bought and paid for during my thousands of kilometers riding around this island the last dozen or so years, but hey, who am I or anyone else to criticize organized crime? The group is called the Angels, after all. Of course, they did name themselves.:cool:

CabareteLife

Feb 8, 2008
It is funny to see how the only people that have anything to say against the HAs are the ones that actually never met with them.

Well, I'm one of those who HAVE met them, actually pretty often in the last couple of years here in Cabarete, and just like everybody else that also met them, I think that if everybody around here conducted themselves like the HAs this would be an even better place to live.

We have yet to hear about somebody actually living in Cabarete that had a bad experience with them.

Believe me those guys know way better than to even think about being involved in any type of crime down here. And if you've been around for long enough you know who's in control of illegal activities in this country, and they do wear patches, but they are not bikers and you do not want to mess with them.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the HAs are here for the same reason as a lot of us : because they love this place? Fact is they're here mostly on vacation, some of them do have legitimate bussineses, but that is no crime. They are polite, gentlemen, spending money contributing to the local economy, what more can I say? Everything else being said about the drug dealing and colombian connection down here is pure speculation.

Yes, I have read terrible things about them in other countries, and I do not believe they are all saints. But if there is one thing that I know, is that the journalists certainly have no interest writing about the good things that the HAs might do : it's not profitable to them. Only the bad news sell about the Hells Angels. And it sells a lot.

So come on people, let's stop the speculations before it turns into propaganda.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
bad for tourism

now print media in montreal has gone to radio. top story this am on the radio - and this by a station with a big contest twice a winter to dom rep (Home Page | CJAD) is the Hell's Angels setting up a "retreat" in dom rep. radio station is saying to "not to worry....la romana is far from cabarete etc." but it's pretty clear that they are embarrassed by it all and this will likely be the last time they do their trips to dom rep unless situation gets fixed - and fast!

this is a black eye for Dom Rep!

J

John Evans

may one ask what your proposals are for these people - send anyone home that owns a t shirt with a skull on it or rides a big bike

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think anyone has any suggestions. I'm sure they're here to stay and prosper, and they will definitely do so as long as they don't mess with the powers that be. Most likely they will form partnerships with the popo to embark in some very profitable enterprises. Hopefully they will do all this very quietly and won't have much of an effect on Cabarete...and Hopefully they won't introduce the meth business to this beautiful area. That's all we can hope for at this point...

YES, everything said here so far is pure speculation because we don't have any proof, but it's being said because they have a history. How does the saying go? "Once a <Insert word here> always a..." Everyone knows or have heard about their initiation rights and the things you are expected to do to become a full member. I'm sure their businesses are not manufacturing sweaters to sell up in Canada...

Cabaretelife: In the interest of balance, can you tell us some of the good things these guys are doing in The Cabarete area? Are they sponsoring school for some kids? Are they helping clean up the beach? Anything that would help us see them on a different light...

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cabaretelife: In the interest of balance, can you tell us some of the good things these guys are doing in The Cabarete area? Are they sponsoring school for some kids? Are they helping clean up the beach? Anything that would help us see them on a different light...[/QUOTE]

Balancing what? Your BS posted from another country. What have you done lately for Cabarete?

One thing about the DR that you would never know anything about is freedom. Over here you actually have to do something to get in trouble. These people have done nothing wrong, and all the paranoid posting in the world will never change that.

CabareteLife

Feb 8, 2008
suarezn : no I don't think they're helping clean up the beach or sponsoring schools, neither am I and probably anybody on this forum. What I meant by that is that some of them do have jobs, and are not involved in crimes but you will never hear about that in the news because obviously it doesn't sell. So it's easy to picture them as having only one interest everywhere they go (crime) but the reality is otherwise and you only realize that when you actually meet them.

Also from what they say they love this place, they would not want to ruin it anymore than we do, and the last thing on their mind is any kind of traffic. They're here to enjoy the sun, the beach and the Caribbean life. They leave everyone alone and probably just want to be left alone.

Put yourself in their shoes, would you bring heat on your favorite vacation location? Because those guys also take vacations, they have families, they have kids that they bring down here with them. No I really don't think they would want to jeopardize this place, they'd want to keep it as clean as they can.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
suarezn : no I don't think they're helping clean up the beach or sponsoring schools, neither am I and probably anybody on this forum.

Wrong! Many of the DR1 posters are contributing to the DR and its welfare, check out the enviroment forum. Look how many are involved in charitable organizations, look how many volunteer on a regular basis and yes, we do have a posters' wife that runs a school in the DR.

Get to know some of the DR1'rs, we are (even the ones that don't live there anymore) a very generous lot. A lot of ex-pats are of the mind that they should give back to the community that they live in in turn for being accepted and welcomed to this foreign land.

Marlie

P.S. Yes, we all stated that we were speculating - and even though I do not know any HA personally, I have seen what they can do to innocent families, such as my former friends. I also agree that yes, with the media all over this, it could be blown out of proportion. On the other hand though, tourism can and will suffer from this publicity, and the bottom line is this could hurt the DR, its tourism, and the real estate market. If you cared about the country, then the effects of all this, should concern you too.

Marlie

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
If they really didn't want to draw heat, and aren't affiliated with any criminal activities. Then they wouldn't be going out in full colours, showing that they are patch members. Patch members aren't run of the mill members- they may not have to the ground work, but it proves their membership to a know criminal organization. Maybe they are using Cabarete as a command post from which they cannot be touched, or as a retreat for senior members / members in need of evading the law back in their home countries. But no matter how you slice it, opening up a club house, wearing full colours doesn't help their cause. If they wanted to leave all of that back at home, they would leave their colours too. Don't believe for one second that the HA is just a motorcycle club - that's the front. Now it doesn't mean that these people are actively doing anything in Cabarete, or the DR, but by association they are involved with criminals, and have a very good chance of having a criminal past. Don't try and deny that.

Another analogy if you will, some KKK members move to cabarete, they are not performing lynchings there, but have done so in their home countries - maybe their the best neighbours you've had, never loud, never made a complaint, but that does not exclude what goes on behind closed doors. I'm not saying that HA is as bad as the KKK, but there are certain things that you cannot separate from organizations.

p.s. I know KKK would never set up shop in DR, they would be lynched! But try the same analogy with lets say Al-Quaida, Hezbollah, Triads etc. etc. Which ever organization you want, and you might feel differently. Because they are evolved beyond the level of a regular street gang, and street gang tactics, don't think for one moment that they are not a gang.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, and I checked Hezbollah's page, their just a friendly support group.

The whole "1%" patch thing: "the 1960's the media picked up on an article by the A.M.A. (American Motorcyclists Association) that stated that only about 1% of motorcyclist gave motorcyclists a bad image, so the media tagged people who rode Harleys, had long hair, tattoos, etc. with being a "1%'er". There are no "bad images", just bad actions, and long hair or tattoos doesn't mean the person is bad in any way. Law enforcement supposedly has a "good image", but for bad actions read about "Ruby Ridge", or "Waco". So why does a motorcyclist wear a "1%'er" patch? Most likely because he's a good person that the media tagged bad because of his appearance, and he's just throwing it right back in their faces."

The 1% is not to "throw it back in their faces", it's a statement saying "I'm a bad mofo, dont fwm."

Again, they are not you're average street gang, they use the MC front, and do their PR work - but it's BS. I've lived in Quebec, and right now, am just accross the river. I might not be in Caberete, where these guys are heading, but coming from the same place as them, I can assure you that they aren't just a bunch of guys that like to ride on motorcycles, that's for fools to believe - and their lawyers to argue.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
HELLS ANGELS SFV F.A.Q.

errrr it just sounds like a motorcycle club to me

Sounds like some of you are in serious denial of what the HA's represent.

The club itself is associated with organized crime and LOTS of violence (bombs and the whole lot). If you were and upstanding member of society that also happened to ride, would you flaunt Hell's colors and clothes knowing the stigma attached????

They WANT everyone to know that they are there. They aren't exactly known to hide from the media spotlight.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Cabaretelife: In the interest of balance, can you tell us some of the good things these guys are doing in The Cabarete area? Are they sponsoring school for some kids? Are they helping clean up the beach? Anything that would help us see them on a different light...

Balancing what? Your BS posted from another country. What have you done lately for Cabarete?

One thing about the DR that you would never know anything about is freedom. Over here you actually have to do something to get in trouble. These people have done nothing wrong, and all the paranoid posting in the world will never change that.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Hmmmmm...what? it looks like some people are already hooked on Meth...too late...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This whole thread has gone in exactly the same direction as the last one about the HA in Cabarete.

What's different? There was a recent news story.

The point is, especially for those that don't live here, is that these people have been here for years. Cabarete's growth and problems, good points and bad points... have nothing to do with them. They are often visible here, as has been said many times, in the local restaurants, stores, beaches, bars, etc. I have NEVER seen or heard of any HA causing ANY trouble of ANY kind. I have interacted with members many times in the very same way I would have interacted with anyone else. They have been just as nice, not necessarily any more or less nice, as anyone else here. I don't think the irony of the Angel in their name is lost on anyone on this board...but they are far from the "Devils" that people here seem to want to portray them. At least HERE IN CABARETE.

I do happen to know more about the HA culture than most and know that the colors they wear are *not* about flaunting who they are, but of *identifying* themselves...just as you might wear a cross around your neck, a dashiki, a turban on your head, or even a swastika tatoo - these images may frighten or offend some people, but no one expects them to be removed or covered up when out "in public".

Bottom line (IMO) is this... Yes, news stories can be damaging to tourism, but just like the others..."Canadian Couple robbed in Punta Cana AI"..."virus outbreak an Rio San Juan AI"... "German pedofiles make Boca Chica home", "how I bought a 12 year old virgin from her parents"..."corruption in the DR Police/Govermnet/Hospitals/Schools"...etc, etc ETC. The stories, true, false, or blown out of proportion will always be there and 95% of them will be forgotten in short time.

The DR is a beautiful place, but far from perfect, and will never be without negative news stories...just like everywhere else in the world.

My opinion: I love Cabarete. I don't mind the HA being here as long as they don't start creating problems, which I personally doubt they will. There are already drugs, prostitution, gangs, corruption and everything else they are known for right here in Cabarete and probably every single town and province of this country, so why dwell on this?

I appreciate the post of the news article, and since there was absolutely NO mention of them being directly or indirectly involved with ANYTHING illegal here, why sit here and debate over what *hasn't* happened??

Status
Not open for further replies.