Tired Of The Music

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hopefully, people did their research and understood the type of music in the DR and the way it is played before they decided to move there because the music was there before you and it will be there after you.

i did not do any research about dominican music before coming here. i did no research at all. i only read an entry on DR in a polish encyclopedia, probably 10 lines in total.

many other genres of music were here before me and will be here after me, does not mean i have to like them all. bachata is boring and lame but this is not an important factor in judging the rest of the country, merely a subject of this thread.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
WoW!

I didn't expect such responses. Let me re-phrase b/c I think many have misinterpreted my original post. I enjoy the music, culture, and the peoples overall enjoyment of life. I love going into the bar and seeing the women and men dance their hearts out. It's why I moved here. Trust me, I'll take this over the US anyday. What I was saying is that the same songs are getting old. Many of you sound so defeated. Don't be like that. Remember where you are...THIS IS PARADISE. or as close to it as I have found.

I can start my own bar, and I can change societal thinking. What you guys/gals see as lack of progress, I see as easy money. They love american culture and are waiting for someone to guide them. Why do you think PURE does so well. Most dominicans spend half their months salary to go there one night. AND they play pop, hip-hop, etc. It's all good here. I've tested it out and gone out and plugged up my ipod. I get the people dancing in the street.

I was just wondering if there was another place in POP that already had a difference in music than PURE. But I'm guessing not. I'll let you know when I am up and running. Plan on having a rock night, hip-hop night, and more. Looking for the right place in the 16 de agosto area.

Awesome. I hope it works out.

But PLEASE don't go the Philippines route, where "American" music is show tunes. :eek:gre:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a person who actually learned how to play music on an instrument, I have a hard time with DJ's. Yes, I know there are talented ones, but since I am too "old" to like the kind of "music" they play, I won't ever get into it.

Here in the DR, I am in a rock band called The DRopouts. We had some set backs (like band members passing away, leaving the DR for months at a time, bars where we played regularly closing down, etc.) but we are now ready to start playing again. So we will be looking for gigs in the near future. For those that like Classic Rock played live, I hope you will come and see us play.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
i did not do any research about dominican music before coming here. i did no research at all. i only read an entry on DR in a polish encyclopedia, probably 10 lines in total.

many other genres of music were here before me and will be here after me, does not mean i have to like them all. bachata is boring and lame but this is not an important factor in judging the rest of the country, merely a subject of this thread.

I see people on DR1 complain about the music, the food, the motoconchos, the this, the that ... but then when questioned something about the rest of the country is mentioned as a rationale for staying in the DR. I'm still waiting to hear what it is about the rest of the country that precludes these people from finding a location that offers more positives.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
As a person who actually learned how to play music on an instrument, I have a hard time with DJ's. Yes, I know there are talented ones, but since I am too "old" to like the kind of "music" they play, I won't ever get into it.

Here in the DR, I am in a rock band called The DRopouts. We had some set backs (like band members passing away, leaving the DR for months at a time, bars where we played regularly closing down, etc.) but we are now ready to start playing again. So we will be looking for gigs in the near future. For those that like Classic Rock played live, I hope you will come and see us play.

Id love to hear a little Steve Gaines... Heard you guys rock...

I Know A Little by Lynyrd Skynyrd - YouTube

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've been here going on my third week. Have been spending my days getting set-up and localized, and my nights out and about the town. I've been all over and have grown a little tired of hearing the same exact songs all day and all night. It's like every Dominican has a playlist of 20-30 songs which gets pumped through everyones speakers.

The only escape I've found is PURE night club in Playa Dorada. But then you have to deal with being treated like an asshole b/c I don't have an all-inclusive bracelet.

I was a DJ in the US and would like to go to a place that mixes it up a bit. Even the karoake here plays the same songs. I've asked a couple of places if I could DJ and they replied that they already had a DJ. I even offered to play. I've DJ-ed in clubs all over the US and Canada and know how to keep the party going.

I've heard plenty of people, mostly gringos, complaining about the same thing. Just wondering if anyone knows of any place in the POP area that plays more that bachata. Don't want to start my own bar just to hear good music while out with my friends.

Any Advice????

Complaining about the music of the country you are in, hummm don't know where you are from but how would you like it they people did that in your country

buy some beer and stay home to play what you want :)

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
DR does not have music. it's deafening cacophony. CACAphony, even.

If one actually understands music, and has taken the effort to "listen" to bachata, one would realize that most of it (albeit horrendously repetitive) is of really good musical quality. It takes a musician who can appreciate the genius melding of percussion, string, and horn to form the complex genre that bachata is. Having said that, I have yet to get used to the high pitched male vocalists, the insistence on playing it at a level equal to that of a 747 on departure. Been inundated with it to the point that if I never hear another Antony Santos or Monchy & Alexandra, it'll be too soon for me.
Roll

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Met a lady here who asked me if I didn't know how to Bachata? No Merengue? No Salsa? No, Do you know the twist? the Boot scoot boogie? The Bump? NO No No You're farther behind than I am then.

Was she like 20

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Anyone who's worked in a bar will know that it's not possible to play music that appeals to everyone all the time so I guess it's easier to do the 'you're in the DR now' thing and go with the flow.

It's a pity that, even in the gringo operated places, no-one seems to care about the quality of the sound or the appropriateness of the volume and content.

I always have to use earplugs anyway.....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We do some Skynyrd along with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana, Steppenwolf, and a variety of other artists from the Atlanta Rhythm Section to ZZTop.

No Leo Sayer?

[video=youtube;iE-Okqna4sQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-Okqna4sQ[/video]

....kinda looks like Arnold Horseshack!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Last year, a girlfriend and I, as a joke, started imitating Dominicans mannerisms while they sing example:
"anything' dios..throw both hands up while looking up
no no no...easy
close your eyes, touch your heart, etc...

I find that HILARIOUS (I must say i become very good at it, even better if I know the lyrics well :) )

I also look for new gestures when I see people singing and into it.

I am sorta of bachata mime artist ;)

one day i am going to learn that stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't realize today is "Hate Gorgon Day".

I'm always the last one to find out.

It reminds me of back when I was in junior high, and the girls would all gang up on a different girl every day. They were vicious.

Look, there are a few people on this board whose opinions I don't normally like. I put them on "Ignore" and I don't even have to read what they like. It keeps my blood pressure down and keeps me from being less uncivil. If you don't like what Gorgon (or CC or dv8 or me or anyone else) has to say, then put him on ignore. He isn't going to change his opinions, whereas attacking him really does not make a positive contribution to the board.

you hit the nail squarely on the head with three words; junior high girls.

Many of you sound so defeated. Don't be like that. Remember where you are...THIS IS PARADISE. or as close to it as I have found.

(Quote by OP I screwed it up)

You have been here 3 weeks...so get back to us in 6 months or a year and you will understand why people post certain views of DR.

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
you can move to Switzerland where you can hear the cows chewing, as they use headsets to hear their celino dion preferred song

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Many of you sound so defeated. Don't be like that. Remember where you are...THIS IS PARADISE. or as close to it as I have found.

(Quote by OP I screwed it up)

You have been here 3 weeks...so get back to us in 6 months or a year and you will understand why people post certain views of DR.

What are you quoting?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't like you anymore: I have that song stuck in my head now. :eek:gre:
Just watch this to stop that:

[video=youtube;7jiaU0xbOKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiaU0xbOKs[/video]

Now back to talking about various forms of music.