To Santiago? ?Ten cuidado, mi hijo!

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I do what it takes to fit in, in fact I know sport a small goatee in addition to keeping my hair cropped. With my improved Spanish it must be making a difference because I had the guachi at El Nacional comment that my motorcycle was a lot like a gringo who frequents the supermarket. I then told the guy I was one and the same gringo. He was so embarrassed the poor fellow. He went on and on about how gringos are good people and I ever needed anything that all I had to do was ask. If he was white he would have been red as a beet.

Also, whenever I'm stopped by the police or amet they many times call me "commandante" and last week I went to the apartments about my house to complain about the loud music and therefore asked for the "gerente" and the guachi called me "licenciado". Not only that the gerente had the tentant turn his radio off for me lickety split, how's that for service?

pretty impressive! looks go along way... fortunately, and unfortunately.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Well I stand out like saw thumb. I'm a muslim, so I wear an hijab.

really? i hope its not a joke. Come to think of it, you have sent me some private messages.
Please contact me via pm again. I would like to help you in santiago.
AZB

tish

Mar 10, 2007
really? i hope its not a joke. Come to think of it, you have sent me some private messages.
Please contact me via pm again. I would like to help you in santiago.
AZB

No it's not a joke, alhamdulillah. We have spoken before via pm. We've made up our minds about leaving Santiago, but I will pm you, insha'Allah. I'm sure this thread will be closed now that we've mentioned religion.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No it's not a joke, alhamdulillah. We have spoken before via pm. We've made up our minds about leaving Santiago, but I will pm you, insha'Allah.

Sorry to hear that. Dominicans aren't the most politically correct people (ie, stereotypes) and certainly treat people they think are "different" from them differently.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Sorry to hear that. Dominicans aren't the most politically correct people (ie, stereotypes) and certainly treat people they think are "different" from them differently.

No probs. I've met and have made friends with some beautiful muslim sisters. One of them was born and grew up in Santiago and moved to STG, because of the crime. She relocated about 6 months ago. She was shot at, but fortunately, the bullet missed her.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The only reason "Dominican-Yols" don't return back to the DR is because they haven't saved enough money to do so, a few have tried moving back taking with them low sums such as US100K and when the reality hit them hard in the face they had no option than to come back to factories and the cold en "los paises."

Any Dominican who have a bit amount of grey material should know that to return to the DR and keep living an US lifestyle you should bring there at least US450K and use it very wisely.

That crap that you hear that DR is so full of crime story is just an excuse to mask the real reason. Money!!

No sale. Who care if you have $100K o $450K? It is irrelevant. All you need if you are an natural Dominican is your visa. If you run low on dough come back to NY and make more. Who said the transition was a one-sided, one time thing. I like Santiago but no way could I spend 12 months there. I m like 4 weeks there, and back to NY for 8 weeks. Its nice but I m become accustomed to another way of things. And how can you say those Dominican Yorks dont feel the same likewise?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
" From your perspective places like Newark, and the South Bronx are safer. Good grief."

Frankie baby, the South Bronx aint what is used to be. Maybe in the 1970s when you and Ed Asner were hanging out it was a tough place, but Mott Av and E.138th St looks like Sesame Street now.

May 12, 2005
" From your perspective places like Newark, and the South Bronx are safer. Good grief."

Frankie baby, the South Bronx aint what is used to be. Maybe in the 1970s when you and Ed Asner were hanging out it was a tough place, but Mott Av and E.138th St looks like Sesame Street now.

Really? Maybe you should stroll by 137 & St. Anns one night. Or go up to Creston or Davidson Aves.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
and I used to go to the Rec Center on St. Anns and E149. Nice women in there....man!

But i dont think Santiago nor the Bx is violent compared to Bmore or Detriot

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
this week 5 men stopped a man and his girlfriend on their pasola, killed the man and took turns raping his girlfriend ere in santiago,hen stole the pasola...I dont here of stuff like that too often in Detroit.....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
this week 5 men stopped a man and his girlfriend on their pasola, killed the man and took turns raping his girlfriend ere in santiago,hen stole the pasola...I dont here of stuff like that too often in Detroit.....

Really??? I just did a link to Detroit news and on the front page there were the following headlines:

Tow truck owner held in Pittsfield shooting
Teens get life sentences in killings of homeless men
Family recounts dad's rage during teenager's final minutes
Man, 85, convicted in hammer beating death

The Detroit News | detnews.com | Wednesday, December 2, 2009 | News, sports, features, blogs, photos and forums from Detroit and Michigan

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not claiming Santiago is the safest place to live, only that it isn't any worse from my point of view than Orlando, where I lived for 5 years. We have lived here in the Dr for the same amount of time and honestly I feel safer than I ever did in Orlando.

At any rate as long as there isn't a civil war we are here to stay. This is what I bought into when I decided to marry a Dominican. Truth be told, I like it here anyhow. My dollars go a long way which means I can work less yet still provide for the family. The weather is great, people are nice, my girls are very happy and there is little stress.

May 12, 2005

More goes on than you think. Not all of it makes the news.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Most of this stuff goes on in dangerous barrios. If you have no business in those barrios, you will never see this ugliness anywhere.
So stop concentrating on the poor and desperate people and begin to see the lifestyle of the well-to-dominicans. Learn from them and you will be just fine. Now crime can hit you anywhere but if you are in a safer zone, chances are the pasola criminals will not bother coming to you if they can snatch a cell phone right on the dark barrio streets near them.
leave the drug junkies and pasola ladrones alone and let them do their own thing in their own area. They can kill each other all day, I can care less.
AZB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I would like to add that here in Santiago, it helps that there are so many really white Dominicans and Spanish. When I first moved here I didn't think there were a lot of "white" people here but with time now I know better. At my church in Villa Olga there are many white people and many look to be almost "pure", so much so that they look like my fathers family.

I also have a couple of friends from San Jose de La Mata and Moca that still look almost pure Spanish. One friend from San Jose de La Mata looks a lot like Sergio Garcia and is equally white.

Are you actually saying a person or community is safer, without regard to where they live/visit and how they act, because they're white? Hasn't Robert cautioned you repeatedly about your, um, "special" opinions on race?

Damn, that's ignorant. Are Dominicans deeply colorstruck? Absolutely. Does a pasty lack of melanin suddenly make you bullet/crimeproof or beyond the act of breaking the law? Absolutely not.

I had black friends who lived out there, and got around to more than a few areas. They had a blast, used their heads, and never, ever encountered any issues.

Damn, man....:bored::bored::bored:

p.s. Yes, I've seen pics of your family. Just because you married a black woman doesn't mean you don't have major issues with race.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
No sale. Who care if you have $100K o $450K? It is irrelevant. All you need if you are an natural Dominican is your visa. If you run low on dough come back to NY and make more. Who said the transition was a one-sided, one time thing. I like Santiago but no way could I spend 12 months there. I m like 4 weeks there, and back to NY for 8 weeks. Its nice but I m become accustomed to another way of things. And how can you say those Dominican Yorks dont feel the same likewise?

That's not living in the DR, that's being a long term tourist in the DR to then go back to NiusYol and work you ass off to then come back and live 1 month and half pretending to be king.

The transition to be called a transition should be a one sided one time thing, if you keep coming back for $$ it shouldn't be called a transition. Oh and those viajeritos (come and go from the US every 2 months) are the guys who are targeted right away, knowing they will bring some money.

In another note you really are disconnected to the Dominican reality RacerX, seeing what you blabber in other threads about the DR and Haiti should be united, one island one country crap, it shows how much you know about Dominican-Yols or Dominicans in general.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I can tell you there are few Americans that can even put together this type of money. If they do have it they are in their 60's and it is their 401k plan.

I tell you this because this opinion appears so typical from many Dominicans here that I talk too, ie, that they are going to move to the States and work for 5 years w/no education and then come back with US500k. We all know that those who do this aren't doing it legitamately, but people here don't know that.

As an example, I worked as a professional engineer in Florida and made around 70k a year and we had no savings account to speak of. The people that make big money are the couples that both have professional jobs, and still it is doubtful that they will save enough.

Finally, my Dominican nephew went to the States almost three years ago and plans on returning to the DR after a couple of more years. He makes 26k a year and has no rent payment and works 6-7 days a week 10 hours a day at a bodega. He hopes to have saved US25k in that 5 years living like a slave.

Exactly my point, as there is no way most of the Dominicans in the US could save half a million dollars, they just don't return and the few that have done it short in money have had to go back when they figure the difference in government services, no electricity at night, American products 2X costlier than in the States, starting underfunded business (low capital, due to low money). Then they go back to the US and start telling everybody in NY "que ese paisito se esta descacarando, cayendose a pedazos", a crime-ridden hell, don't dare to go back!!.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Where's the link?? such crime should be all over the news by now. I somehow don't believe those affirmations.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I'm not claiming Santiago is the safest place to live, only that it isn't any worse from my point of view than Orlando, where I lived for 5 years. We have lived here in the Dr for the same amount of time and honestly I feel safer than I ever did in Orlando.

At any rate as long as there isn't a civil war we are here to stay. This is what I bought into when I decided to marry a Dominican. Truth be told, I like it here anyhow. My dollars go a long way which means I can work less yet still provide for the family. The weather is great, people are nice, my girls are very happy and there is little stress.

Nicely put!