To Santiago? ?Ten cuidado, mi hijo!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
That's not living in the DR, that's being a long term tourist in the DR to then go back to NiusYol and work you ass off to then come back and live 1 month and half pretending to be king.

The transition to be called a transition should be a one sided one time thing, if you keep coming back for $$ it shouldn't be called a transition. Oh and those viajeritos (come and go from the US every 2 months) are the guys who are targeted right away, knowing they will bring some money.

In another note you really are disconnected to the Dominican reality RacerX, seeing what you blabber in other threads about the DR and Haiti should be united, one island one country crap, it shows how much you know about Dominican-Yols or Dominicans in general.

The last comment aside because I dont care to respond..show me where a transition is required to be a one time one sided thing? It doesnt exist. It exists to you to help you make your point, but Generally Speaking, it doesnt exist. If I come here I stay and I go AND come back how can this not be considered a move? I did the same thing when I lived in Florida. It was great but it wasnt NY. This is the same with your phrase "long term tourist". You call it that because how and where they make their living isnt acceptable to you. But who made you judge? Who made you the sole barometer of what it is to move to a place? Of course it is clear to see your reasoning is that it makes your economic fear mongering a more rational argument that it really is. Just as much as you assuming that one is "racing back to NY to scrape together as much money as possible to come back and make it rain greenbacks". Thats a stereotype of a NYer and additionally as if we didnt see it, it gives you superiority complex. We are all rubes and you have figured out the finer points of living in a developing country. Por Favor!
And as I said in another board but then deleted the comment that when I was there for a month, I only spent $258 the entire time, so I dont understand what specifically you are referring to when you speak of those people looking for me or my type. The fact of the matter is you can live here for $100K if you do so spartanly. You can live here for less than $100K. An ambiguous number of $450K to live in the Caribbean? Nope, no sale. Maybe in a big city in Western Europe it could be tough, but in the Caribbean? As long as those Dominican Yorks have that visa they can return make more bread and go back and live as free as they want to.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The last comment aside because I dont care to respond..show me where a transition is required to be a one time one sided thing? It doesnt exist. It exists to you to help you make your point, but Generally Speaking, it doesnt exist. If I come here I stay and I go AND come back how can this not be considered a move? I did the same thing when I lived in Florida. It was great but it wasnt NY. This is the same with your phrase "long term tourist". You call it that because how and where they make their living isnt acceptable to you. But who made you judge? Who made you the sole barometer of what it is to move to a place? Of course it is clear to see your reasoning is that it makes your economic fear mongering a more rational argument that it really is. Just as much as you assuming that one is "racing back to NY to scrape together as much money as possible to come back and make it rain greenbacks". Thats a stereotype of a NYer and additionally as if we didnt see it, it gives you superiority complex. We are all rubes and you have figured out the finer points of living in a developing country. Por Favor!
And as I said in another board but then deleted the comment that when I was there for a month, I only spent $258 the entire time, so I dont understand what specifically you are referring to when you speak of those people looking for me or my type. The fact of the matter is you can live here for $100K if you do so spartanly. You can live here for less than $100K. An ambiguous number of $450K to live in the Caribbean? Nope, no sale. Maybe in a big city in Western Europe it could be tough, but in the Caribbean? As long as those Dominican Yorks have that visa they can return make more bread and go back and live as free as they want to.

400k dumped into a Banco Central CD earning 8% would net you 36k per year, roughly 6 times the income of the average Dominican.

Innumerable threads on this board seem to support that a single person can live quite nicely or a family can live a bit more modestly (but not poorly) on 2k a month, so 3k a month ought to make things quite comfortable. But the trick for most is to come up with a sustainable monthly income, instead of a big pile of money, which will disappear faster than you think.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Are you actually saying a person or community is safer, without regard to where they live/visit and how they act, because they're white? Hasn't Robert cautioned you repeatedly about your, um, "special" opinions on race?

Damn, that's ignorant. Are Dominicans deeply colorstruck? Absolutely. Does a pasty lack of melanin suddenly make you bullet/crimeproof or beyond the act of breaking the law? Absolutely not.

I had black friends who lived out there, and got around to more than a few areas. They had a blast, used their heads, and never, ever encountered any issues.

Damn, man....:bored::bored::bored:

p.s. Yes, I've seen pics of your family. Just because you married a black woman doesn't mean you don't have major issues with race.

?????? You got major issues dude. I make a commentary that I feel that I can "fit in" in the DR even though I'm white and somehow it's a racially charged commentary? Get a life.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
400k dumped into a Banco Central CD earning 8% would net you 36k per year, roughly 6 times the income of the average Dominican.

Innumerable threads on this board seem to support that a single person can live quite nicely or a family can live a bit more modestly (but not poorly) on 2k a month, so 3k a month ought to make things quite comfortable. But the trick for most is to come up with a sustainable monthly income, instead of a big pile of money, which will disappear faster than you think.

Bro, sure, "make your money work for you". OK, I m with you there. But to wait until you have enough to make that move? Come on, you know like I will, you will never have enough. Me, I was an advocate of the WEB Dubois style of progress until it personally didnt benefit me so now I support that of BT Washington. For me, being in DR I can barter my skills for the things I d like. Not all, but enough. For instance, I as a certified electrician, fix the junk that my neighbors have that doesnt work(due to frequent electrical outages), route satellite dishes, repair neveras, frisos, etc. In return, in the least I get a cooked meal 3-4 times a day(lowering my food expense). When or if I had to replenish I go back to NY and then charge the Metro NY rate. But $3K is a super extravagant life there for me, I d say. I may not be a king on $1800-2K but I get by nicely.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
oh, and I said car wash as a business because all you need is a lot, a bucket, a hose, soap and a dude in a pair of flip flops.