Tony Romo to play in Punta Cana golf tournament

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes I have heard that Pete Dye quote about Teeth of the Dog. It is a shame golf is not more reasonable pesos-wise to play. A lot of locals (most) and many of us retirees without unlimited budgets don't play much. I'll be bringing my old set down next time I loop back from Florida and will look to play maybe some of the premium courses.
I did visit Playa Grande many years ago when it wasn't private and only cost $75 per 18m

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both - it seems

The former owners had no $$$ so let the course deteriorate.... new grass needed..
hard to do in this rain

New owners also reconfigured holes 4 & 5 to allow building lots between them.
Moved 5 out to the perimeter to create more space.
A good idea for lot sales... 2 sides on the course - not 1.

Private is the word currently.... no outside play.

that's the latest........

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Both - it seems

The former owners had no $$$ so let the course deteriorate.... new grass needed..
hard to do in this rain

New owners also reconfigured holes 4 & 5 to allow building lots between them.
Moved 5 out to the perimeter to create more space.
A good idea for lot sales... 2 sides on the course - not 1.

Private is the word currently.... no outside play.

that's the latest........
I thought it was a special course and saw why they called it the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean. But if they start building houses on it and turn it private it would be a shame.
They did that another course favorito of mine Bahia Bay in Puerto Rico. I think it's close to bankruptcy

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes I have heard that Pete Dye quote about Teeth of the Dog. It is a shame golf is not more reasonable pesos-wise to play. A lot of locals (most) and many of us retirees without unlimited budgets don't play much. I'll be bringing my old set down next time I loop back from Florida and will look to play maybe some of the premium courses.
I did visit Playa Grande many years ago when it wasn't private and only cost $75 per 18m

Two notes that I am sure you are aware of....
-It is impossible to have rock-bottom costs due to basic maintenance and upkeep of the courses;
-The costs of the RD courses, premium as well, are lower than those that exist in other parts of the world.
If and when you choose to bring your clubs down, we can skip the wine tasting in Santo Domingo, and head to one of the courses on the east cost if you wish. The 19th hole usually plays well. Do you plan on taking in the PGA Tour when it comes to town?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I thought it was a special course and saw why they called it the Pebble Beach of the Caribbean. But if they start building houses on it and turn it private it would be a shame.
They did that another course favorito of mine Bahia Bay in Puerto Rico. I think it's close to bankruptcy

The only house that belongs on a golf course is the clubhouse. It is a universal problem.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Many go pro on the Senior tour and do quite well.

BTW: seems the tournament is looking for volunteers. One of our greatest Dominican experiences was volunteering for the Cap Cana seniors tour a few years ago. GJust fantastic! I was a "walking scorer" for three days assigned to a flight of four players for 18 holes. Alida held a fuzzy mike for Golf network going to whatever hole the network wanted. Treated us like kings, great food, fantastic time.

If you love golf and have physical endurance, do it! Volunteer!

I highly agree. It is unfortunate that there only seem to be two or three other posters interested in the topic, and the moderators seem not to be fans of the sport. As mentioned previously, this thread is about so much more than just the game of golf itself, but the amazing possibilities here within the RD because of this game.
Secondly, for any amateur-casual golf player or fan of the sport, attending a PGA Tour event is the top of the mountain. Not to mention, a very humbling experience.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
-It is impossible to have rock-bottom costs due to basic maintenance and upkeep of the courses;
-The costs of the RD courses, premium as well, are lower than those that exist in other parts of the world.
If and when you choose to bring your clubs down, we can skip the wine tasting in Santo Domingo, and head to one of the courses on the east cost if you wish. The 19th hole usually plays well. Do you plan on taking in the PGA Tour when it comes to town?
If I get back from Florida by the tournament and feel like driving over to Punta Cana again I might. Otherwise I'll watch the Golf Channel. I drove to Punta Cana last year and my AC was working only periodically - a miserable trip.
I've been to Punta Cana 5 times in the past few years. Next time I might get an apartment instead of AI hotel

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I highly agree. It is unfortunate that there only seem to be two or three other posters interested in the topic, and the moderators seem not to be fans of the sport. As mentioned previously, this thread is about so much more than just the game of golf itself, but the amazing possibilities here within the RD because of this game.
Secondly, for any amateur-casual golf player or fan of the sport, attending a PGA Tour event is the top of the mountain. Not to mention, a very humbling experience.

Whether or not we're interested, we recognise that golf is a very important part of the DR's tourism offer, and not just on the east coast as reflected in this thread. Would you like to open up a more general golf in the DR discussion by starting a new thread in the General or Living forums? We could also start a new thread in the East Coast forum specifically about volunteers for the PGA event.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

That is the plan.... housing
Look up Baker's Bay in the Bahamas - same guys
Discovery Land - the promoters and managers....
Money comes from a different source

The labor is cheap enough here for course maintenance but the chemicals are the killer
I have been on committees at my clubs...
you can't shortcut on the chemicals and they are over half of the annual budget.

Yes, they are. Have you not played them yourself?

No, I have not....
As to your comment about PGA events,
I have been to the Masters - when you see those guys warm up... you wonder if they'll shoot 50 something
They're all great on the practice tee....real balls --- different game, nerves ramp up.

A guy practices all morning - plays his round & shoots 65 or so --
straight back to the practice ground...
The game just interrupts the practice.

It was you wasn't it who talked about the upside down 5 iron.. playing left handed ?

I knew a small time pro...never made it
He was under a bush one day... reversed a 6 iron and slugged it up beside the green
He was angry about it.

My loudmouth brother was in disbelief and threw him a ball -
What - you think you can do better ??

The guy whacked it onto the green

My brother - 'Where'd you learn that?'
8 hours on the practice tee.... was the answer

They'll stand hitting bunker shots for 2-3 hours

Crazy nuts

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whether or not we're interested, we recognise that golf is a very important part of the DR's tourism offer, and not just on the east coast as reflected in this thread. Would you like to open up a more general golf in the DR discussion by starting a new thread in the General or Living forums? We could also start a new thread in the East Coast forum specifically about volunteers for the PGA event.

Do we need to be that specific ?

Golf is golf and the current action is on the east coast...

seems logical to me.... illogical me

haha

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Count me in for this thread remaining in its place. The thread has Tony Romo and Punta Cana in its title but there seems to be a problem posting about Tony Romo, the biggest name in the field.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Seems sometimes some of the moderators don't understand the topics, and become a little heavy handed to squash threads for that reason.
I'm not sure why DR1 was created if not for interaction of those in interested in the DR either living on the island or visiting.
Certainly golf created a lot of the attention the DR has received over the past 20 years.
So I am not sure why the discussion of golf and the upcoming tournament in Corales in Punta Cana was suggested to be moved to be "off-topic" thread. Certainly it is relevant to the East Coast.
I caddied one tournament of LPGA hopefuls years ago and it doesn't even have to be a full PGA or even men to humble my hacker game

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Count me in for this thread remaining in its place. The thread has Tony Romo and Punta Cana in its title but there seems to be a problem posting about Tony Romo, the biggest name in the field.

There's a World Golf Event on the same weekend
This will be the 'B' players - who still are good

And the DR can only expect to get this level given the courses are basically 'resort ' courses
not true Championship caliber

Still------- good promotion for the country

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sneak Peek

Tony Romo is 3rd at the Pebble Beach tourney this weekend in the Pro-Am... he;s the Am - so far -- as an amateur
Good chance to watch him if they make the cut of 25

They might mention his next event - in the DR

Ask me about Pebble sometime....and Spyglass...

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sneak Peek

Tony Romo is 3rd at the Pebble Beach tourney this weekend in the Pro-Am... he;s the Am - so far -- as an amateur
Good chance to watch him if they make the cut of 25

They might mention his next event - in the DR

Ask me about Pebble sometime....and Spyglass...
I played Spyglass. Missed a birdie putt on the first hole and never did better than par the rest of the day.
I think there will be some name pros in Punta Cana but the purse for the tournament is less than some tournaments pay top players for show up money

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Trent Jones course -- same as Playa Grande

Tough - I think... tougher than Pebble for me

We played the World Invitational Pro-Am there for years....
Pebble & Spyglass