Tony Romo to play in Punta Cana golf tournament

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you volunteering for the tournament?

Both my wife & I filled out the form and never heard back from the tournament...
we were very ready to help.

Too bad.....c'est la vie

And TARHEEL

He's a good athlete - +3 they say

But understand these guys on TV are a different breed... very unique

Look up Moe Norman... a great ball striker who really couldn't make it.

He could hit a telephone with his driver from a looong way away - more than 50% of the time.

It's very different when they hang out the sign --
TOURNAMENT TODAY

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Both my wife & I filled out the form and never heard back from the tournament...

Too bad.....c'est la vie

And TARHEEL

He could hit a telephone with his driver from a looong way away - more than 50% of the time.

TOURNAMENT TODAY

One name I recognize, who was near the top battling Tiger for a while in the Valspar, is the Canuk, Corey Conners, (currently 2nd, 2 strokes back). My friend who is a golf-oholic says he is an up and coming player to watch. He looks to be the only non-US player now with a good shot to win, barring some super human golf.
The Chinese golfer seems to have fallen well back.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Too bad.....c'est la vie

And TARHEEL

TOURNAMENT TODAY

I hit lots of things with my driver, trees mainly, sometimes golf carts on other fairways. I guess I've got the skills ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One name I recognize, who was near the top battling Tiger for a while in the Valspar, is the Canuk, Corey Conners, (currently 2nd, 2 strokes back). My friend who is a golf-oholic says he is an up and coming player to watch. He looks to be the only non-US player now with a good shot to win, barring some super human golf.
The Chinese golfer seems to have fallen well back.

Yup, Connors is good....
just couldn't take the heat at Valspar...

It's a learning process....
ask any of them...

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011

Too bad.....c'est la vie

Luckily we checked our JUNK folder about 2 weeks ago and found a message from the tournament committee asking us to go for training.
We ending up being walking scorers.  I was with Jim Furyk for a couple of days.  My wife will be scoring on the team on Sunday with John Daly, and I will be with Davis Love III.
It has been a lot of fun.

From what I hear, they will have the event again next year and then look again at the whole thing.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Happen to catch this tournament on the Golf Channel. Looked like a great course and the TV coverage was very striking with the sea, palm trees and blue green waters. I could feel the warm Dominican breezes. Somebody get me a Presidente!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes Steve - they gave good scenic coverage....
Somebody lured the tournament her and it's good publicity - even with the weaker field

The Cdn guy from Listowel ON is hanging in there - still snow there

Wheathead
I checked Trash & Spam - no acceptance for me !!
I expect they had enough locals sign up....

Furyk is from near me in PA

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
Somebody lured the tournament her and it's good publicity - even with the weaker field

Wheathead

Both my wife and I had the email in our junk.  Another condo owner from our complex said he got no response originally but when he emailed back to the committee, they claimed they sent him an email.  He then became a volunteer.

PM me next year and I can give you the direct email address for the committe if you want to volunteer.  While it was a bit soggy out there today, it was still very fun to be part of the entire week.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well Garnett finished with a comfortable 4 stroke lead to win @ -18, with 3 yanks behind him at -14, -13, -12 and K.J. Choi tying with 7 other guys for 5th at -11.

I think this tournament will make a bigger splash next year. It would be great to work it into a regular tour event with bigger purses and attract some more top players.

Wow the Canadian who showed a couple days of brilliance, Corey Conners, folded like a cheap K-Mart tent just as he did at Valspar - shooting a 76 for his final round.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Wheathead

This event in now a PGA Tour event. First time. Previously had been with the Web.com tour. Good exposure for the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Both my wife and I had the email in our junk.  Another condo owner from our complex said he got no response originally but when he emailed back to the committee, they claimed they sent him an email.  He then became a volunteer.

PM me next year and I can give you the direct email address for the committe if you want to volunteer.  While it was a bit soggy out there today, it was still very fun to be part of the entire week.

I expect the local residents get priority --- and why not ??

LT
Yes, let's hope the PGA continue it.

It plays against a big World Tour Event which has the top 65 players,
so it's a second tier event but still good golf.

and really good advertising for the country... PC especially
#1 destination in the country.....66%+ of all the flights

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
As for those who are humbled when we see Pro Golfers do unimaginable here's a clip of all too human #8 golfer in the world, Rory McIlroy, 5-putting at the A&T tournament on Friday (4 putts from 9' - on a flat green)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkloUQu4w8

Seems Rory's PGA career has stalled lately - Maybe he should skip the Dell Technologies tournament in Austin & instead try the Corales event, because he has not been competitive at the larger tournaments, currently 16 strokes back in 98th place at Pebble Beach.
Or maybe he wins the WGC in Austin LOL.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Julio Santos was the 1st Dominican in history to make the cut in a PGA tournament at Corales.

Let that sink in a moment.

He struggled mightily with yardage, weather and nerves and came in at the bottom of the money.

His gallery of 50 or so people was the largest in the field. Hall of Famer Davis Love III had a gallery of 5 or so. 10 at other times.

He made 6 or 7k so a great payday for him and his family.

Julio is the peoples champion golfer in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was out there with Julio. He really only had one bad round. Sunday, a rough day for anybody playing. Big wind and a lot of rain. Other than Sunday he held his own. He made a bit over $5800.