Tourist Card Included in Ticket Price

Feb 7, 2007
I break my promise I'm going to waste another five minutes on this thread. If you're in and out of Las Americas at least once a month you're most likely Dominican, foreign resident or perhaps a Diplomat, you don't buy a tourist card.

Now I'm done, unless there's another smart ass comment I have to respond to.

Not trying to be a smartass, but why would you need to buy a tourist card if that already comes in included in the price of the air ticket since this month? Maybe you paid for it twice?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not trying to be a smartass, but why would you need to buy a tourist card if that already comes in included in the price of the air ticket since this month? Maybe you paid for it twice?

May very well be it did not actually start this month. I just flew in this month from the USA and they certainly didn't give me nor charge me for a tourist card. Didn't need one, but not the point.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
May very well be it did not actually start this month. I just flew in this month from the USA and they certainly didn't give me nor charge me for a tourist card. Didn't need one, but not the point.

too late to edit but I checked a few airline receipts and noticed the ticket I purchased after May 1 there is a new $10 charge called L8. I just flew in last week but that ticket was purchased prior to May 1 although the travel date was after May 1.

Note to MOD, isn't it time to reopen that thread.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

Good question, but I have never heard American Airlines sell tickets with tourist card included in the price.

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
How do airlines plan to execute this? There will be a 10 USD difference in the price for a tourist, and a Dominican citizen and a foreign legal resident. I can't see any option on the AA website where you specify your status. I believe charter airlines can do this since most passengers are tourists. I find it hard to believe AA can do this between SDQ and MIA quite often most travellers are Dominicans. I buy my flights on either the AA website, or Delta or Jet Blue if I fly to New York. On all three many Dominicans. Do they also now buy tourist cards if they buy a ticket online?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My understanding - All airlines will charge the $10 for the tourist card in the cost of a ticket. Anyone who doesn't need to purchase one to enter the DR can request a refund from Immigration - yeah, I know...

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
My understanding - All airlines will charge the $10 for the tourist card in the cost of a ticket. Anyone who doesn't need to purchase one to enter the DR can request a refund from Immigration - yeah, I know...

So instead of the line to buy tourist card there will now be a line where Dominican citizens and residents get a 10 USD refund? Very interesting concept.

Does Anybody know if this is now in place? The tourist card counter at SDQ was up and running as of last Wednesday.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WestJet - a Cdn airline - has been dong it for years.

No, residents/citizens do not get a refund.

That's the way the cookie crumbles

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Everybody pays, and those who qualify for a refund and bother to request one can supposedly get it, using a process that will ensure no one bothers to apply.

Another example of the govt removing the need to have someone handling cash in an environment where the number of tourist cards sold never seems to match up with the amount of money on hand at the end of the day.

Supposed to be in effect now, but we all know these changes take time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
| MAY 11, 2018, 6:45 PM
DGII provides reimbursement of 10 dollars Tourist Card online

SANTO DOMINGO. The Directorate General of Internal Taxes (DGII) informed that it has provided an expeditious and simple mechanism, through its internet portal, to request the refund of the 10 dollars per Tourist Card in the cases in which it applies.

He reported that the return of the money will be made within a period of no more than five days to all travelers not included in the institution's regulation who purchase air tickets at points of sale outside the Dominican Republic.

Citizens who apply for reimbursement are Dominicans who have purchased air tickets at points of sale outside the Dominican Republic, foreigners residing in the country with a valid residence card, foreigners with a valid Dominican visa and Dominican nationalized foreigners.

Also, diplomats accredited in the country, citizens of countries that, by bilateral agreements ratified by the National Congress, are exempt, and non-commercial private aviation users that use aircraft weighing no more than thirty thousand (30,000 ) pounds and capacity not greater than 12 passengers.

"We exhort all citizens who apply for the reimbursement of the 10 dollars to apply immediately, meeting the established requirements. We are guaranteeing that everyone will be reimbursed for what they request and that they comply with the established conditions, "the fund-raising institution said in a press release.

The DGII explained that people who qualify to request reimbursement of the 10 dollars can request it electronically by accessing the following link: https://www.dgii.gov.do/TturistaWeb/ReembolsoTT/ReembolsoTT/RegistrarReembolso

Applicants must provide a copy of their passport and evidence of having been affected by the collection of the tax.

He also noted that the offices of the DGII are available for those who wish to make their request personally.

He pointed out that the mechanism is as simple as allowing the citizen to request reimbursement to his credit card or by cash or check via a DGII office.

The DGII reported that, of the applications received to date, only 6% were received by the institution's office and the rest in the section of the DGII website. As of yesterday all had been processed as follows: 80% has been approved with a refund to the credit card of users and 20% denied because it has been confirmed with the airline that the payment has not been made.

computer translated from: https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...res-tarjeta-de-turismo-por-internet-DI9846995

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
hello out there …………. isn't there an existing thread discussing the $10 tourist card that was closed and was to reopen on May 1?

my experience, purchased ticket before May1 to fly in after May 1 with no $10 tourist card fee.

………….………….purchased ticket after May 1 to fly in after May 1 and there is indeed a $10 tourist card fee.

will I bother to apply online to get my $10 bucks back? probably so just for the fun of it.

who won't apply? probably the family out in the campo who have no clue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks.

Looks like you need to scan & send copies of your passport and ticket and residency.

One would think you could file and store most of that information and then submit on a case by case basis... not repeating it every time

Just a dream I guess.
I've been paying it on WestJet for years