Transportation...

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
Hi Vegas. I can't speak for Punta Cana as I have never been there but in the POP area, when standing on the side of the road you will easily be able to figure out what is what. You just stand on the side of the road for the direction you want to go in. You will recognize the public taxi's because they will have cabarete - POP or Sosua - POP or some sort of sign on top saying where they will take you. They will drop you off at any location along the way but do not normally venture off their normal path. When you get out and still need to go somewhere down a side street, etc., just grab a motoconcho to take you the rest of the way.

The guaguas are little minivans (they usually look like a VW type van) with tons of people crammed in and a guy hanging out the door who takes your money and helps pack in the people. They are lots of fun but DO NOT keep any large amounts of money in your pockets as I once got pick-pocketed (only 400 pesos but still)!

Of course you want to err on the side of caution. But I have never had any such problems. In fact, I got into a heated argument with the cobrador once about the correct change only to realize after I had gotten off that he was right and I was falsely accusing him.

Vegas M

Jun 23, 2004
I'm only going for seven days.

By the way in one post it listed Tourist Tax's and local Taxis....what's the difference and how can you tell them apart?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
What about buses?

When I first read about "guaguas" I thought that's what Dominicans called public buses, you know, like the ones you see in every city, be it NY or Los Angeles or Mexico City. Then I discovered that term was applied only to public vans and othe vehicles of the sort. So my question is: In Sto. Domingo, Santiago and other major cities, aren't there big public buses covering different routes, or do they only go from city to city- like from Sto. Domingo to Santiago? What about inside the major cities? Why only those mini vans and the taxis?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
juancarlos said:
When I first read about "guaguas" I thought that's what Dominicans called public buses, you know, like the ones you see in every city, be it NY or Los Angeles or Mexico City. Then I discovered that term was applied only to public vans and othe vehicles of the sort. So my question is: In Sto. Domingo, Santiago and other major cities, aren't there big public buses covering different routes, or do they only go from city to city- like from Sto. Domingo to Santiago? What about inside the major cities? Why only those mini vans and the taxis?

Aha! you've got a point - Fireguy forgot about the busses (real busses) that travel between cities in airconditioned luxury with television. I've never taken one of these but I know others have, so, I'll leave it to the experienced to explain about the busses.

Just a note, these busses also form the backbone of the postal system in the Dominican Republic. If I want to send a parcel/letter or something from Sosua to Santo Domingo, I put it on the bus.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Forbeca said:
Just curious, why would you want to ride in a car with a bunch of strangers? Do these taxis even have air? I wonder. How long are you staying in the DR? If it's a matter of a few weeks, why not just try to coordinate your trips into the city with other people where you're staying and share the expense. It w/b cheaper and more comfortable for you as you don't have to walk to the side of the road in that heat, etc. I usually have a car when visiting the DR, but if I didn't that's how I'd do it. to each their own I guess.

Its not as if the guaguas are always full. Last week we went from Sosua to Playa Dorada in one and there was only us 4 in it. Some have air con' some don't but its not that uncomfortable if you are only jumping in for 10 minutes.

Its no big deal to travel with strangers is it? The hotels are full of strangers, the restaurants are full of strangers, the beaches are full of strangers, the shops are full of strangers, there are strangers on the excursions etc etc

Last edited:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
juancarlos said:

Those big air conditioned buses only go from city to city. In town, the publico cars take over. Just stand on the street and wave one down. You need to know the route though. The cars are more common than vans in town. Taxis are still the way to go.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
If money is not a issue, then, Air-conditioned Taxis all the way. Using this method, all you have to do is tell the driver where you want to go and that's it, lean back, relax and try not to spill that drink on your shirt. If money IS an issue then turn your hat backwards, roll up your sleeves and prepare to find out live and direct how many people can reeeally fit in a car or minibus. But, before you jump into any ("voladora") public transport, you MusT know the route unless the route is linear. They might even enlighten you at the concierge desk before you hit the street. I have pasted a couple of links below for you to chew on. I found the dr1 link to be the most through, check it out and get used to DR. You'll be back.

http://www.dr1.com/living/road/1.shtml

http://dominicanresorts.com/TRANSPORT.htm
http://www.dominican-diving.com/information/getting_around1.htm

I suggest renting a car, You will expirience the thrill of NASCAR on the streets of DR, I always look at driving in DR as a video game where you have to avoid other cars, people, farm animals,rocks,trees,lakes,rivers,and anything else you can imagine. Definatelly more exciting than Ocean world.
Badpiece

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Like I said to each their own. That sounds kind of iffy to me, you never know when the guaguas are going to be full or not?

tired_boy said:
Its not as if the guaguas are always full. Last week we went from Sosua to Playa Dorada in one and there was only us 4 in it. Some have air con' some don't but its not that uncomfortable if you are only jumping in for 10 minutes.

Its no big deal to travel with strangers is it? The hotels are full of strangers, the restaurants are full of strangers, the beaches are full of strangers, the shops are full of strangers, there are strangers on the excursions etc etc

Of course there are strangers everywhere! but I don't need to be sitting next to them in an uncomfortable bus, even if it is for a short ride. See, I'm dominican, and I am used to doing things differently, the DR is my country, I do things according to what's expected of me. If I were to get on one of those buses, my mom would not be happy. I always follow the rules ;)

This is only my opinion people, you don't have to agree with me.

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Ok so if I was travelling back from Cabarete to my hotel Barcelo Punta Goleta. Would I be advised to get a day to day Taxi or one of those Guagua's? Especially in the early hours of the morning. :smoke:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Forbeca said:
That sounds kind of iffy to me, you never know when the guaguas are going to be full or not?

Well...........as soon as it pulls up (which they sometimes do whether you want them or not) you can see how full up it is and just not get in it.
There's that many you don't have to squeeze yourself into the first one that comes along.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi kymbillie,

kymbillie said:
Ok so if I was travelling back from Cabarete to my hotel Barcelo Punta Goleta. Would I be advised to get a day to day Taxi or one of those Guagua's? Especially in the early hours of the morning. :smoke:

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Guaguas don't run that late.

Take a taxi. Most are at the taxi stand at the west end of town near Villa Taina. Should only be a couple of hundred pesos (+ or -), depending on your "gringo factor" (some people look like they belong even if they are obvious gringos and some don't - it can affect the prices you are charged).

Gregg

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
...avoid this type of bad advice.

badpiece33 said:
I suggest renting a car, You will expirience the thrill of NASCAR on the streets of DR.... Badpiece

By all means, avoid this type of bad advice. Paying for a car and driver is far better than getting this risky thrill! :cross-eye

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
hey sorry guys Im english It isnt a term i've heard before but hey it sounds an interesting subject so please do enlighten...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
kymbillie, if you are a white english man, you will be loved and known as a gringo, if female, you're will defnitely be a gringa.

Hey, anybody know what the requirements are for being gringo/a?

Now remember, we don't discuss race on this board! so keep it light! (unintended pun)