Transportation...

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
"Gringo" revisited

sure! that's easy, as not much is needed to fit the requirements to earn yourself your very own Gringo/a title. All you have to be is White skinned. Take into consideration that the locals figure out how much money you have in your pockets by your skin color. The more pale white you are, the More Money the locals think they can fleece you for and since you're on vacation, you just don't know what else to do with all that money than "since you're on vacation". Thus, "Gringo Prices". You can be whiter than milk, but there are different methods applied by "gringos" to deflect "gringo prices" and pay what the locals pay. But those techniques are mainly used by expats to stablish themselves as locals when they move to DR and somehow figure out they're paying more than every one else on their purchases. but that's another can of worms. 'Search' the forums for techniques on how to beat the system if your stay in DR will be a couple of weeks "in dominican time".

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
quejeyoke said:
sure! that's easy, as not much is needed to fit the requirements to earn yourself your very own Gringo/a title. All you have to be is White skinned. Take into consideration that the locals figure out how much money you have in your pockets by your skin color. The more pale white you are, the More Money the locals think they can fleece you for and since you're on vacation, you just don't know what else to do with all that money than "since you're on vacation". Thus, "Gringo Prices". You can be whiter than milk, but there are different methods applied by "gringos" to deflect "gringo prices" and pay what the locals pay. But those techniques are mainly used by expats to stablish themselves as locals when they move to DR and somehow figure out they're paying more than every one else on their purchases. but that's another can of worms. 'Search' the forums for techniques on how to beat the system if your stay in DR will be a couple of weeks "in dominican time".[/QUOTE

In all the time I lived there and visited, the only time anyone tried to fleece me was a day we spent in Puerto Plata. This guy wanted to charge me 400 pesos for a boat made og bull horns and hooves. I saw the same thing just off the calle del sol for 40.

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Ha ha ok, well I guess all us Europeans coming from Italy to Scotland have quite a high Gringo/a factor, and the ALL INCLUSIVE band SCREAMS it!! oh well. Taxi's will be Taxi's and even in your home city we've all be Ripped off to Phunket!!!!!
Cheers Guys for the Transport help and Explaining what Gringo was!!! (and yes im Female)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Well then kymbillie,

for you it's Gringa (the female form of the male Gringo).

Lesson #2 has begun and will be continued on arrival in the DR.

Enjoy.

Gregg

P.S. - And yes, covering up that stupid wristband with a watch e.g. does help minimize the Gringo/Grings Factor. (LOL)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
FireGuy said:
P.S. - And yes, covering up that stupid wristband with a watch e.g. does help minimize the Gringo/Grings Factor. (LOL)

You can still pretty much get what you want with the AI band on or not.

Of course their initial price will be a silly one, but just be determined you don't even have to accept the first guy nevermind the first price.

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
haha yeah tell me about it I remember last year in the DR some guy tried to charge me what would of been equivalent to ?8 for a beaded bracelet. Which is over twice the price you would pay for the same thing in the UK!!! I dont mind paying that little extra but thats rediculous!!!