Travel changes from/to the DR.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I cannot imagine anyone who is heading to Europe from DR on business would want to go via Miami, or indeed via anywhere else in the US. Flying west on nasty American Airlines to stand in line forever before waiting forever to board another flight to fly back over where you have just come from. By far the most comfortable routes into Europe, if you are travelling for business, are on British Airways Club (or Premium Economy) direct from Punta Cana to Gatwick, now 3 times a week, or Iberia Business out of Santo Domingo daily to Madrid. I do a lot with Avios and I can get Iberia to London from SDQ in Business from about $200 plus miles. Each of these has flat-beds and a private cabin space and nice service.

To Havana I would agree, Copa is a wonderful airline and the transit through Panama is very well organised and effortless. PAWA also has excellent reports. Surely nobody would pass these airlines over in favour of American Airlines who have lost my bags five out of the last six flights.

Transiting through US airports has always, in my view, been unpleasant, involved a huge amount of walking, horrible lounges, extremely rude and arrogant staff and illogical lines. It's well known that the US government knows pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about everyone on a plane before they even board. So the charade of getting everyone to stand in line for hours and be subjected to all these questions is, in my opinion, purely designed to make everyone think that the US is being "tough on immigration". Countries like the UK have equally busy airports, strong immigration problems and terror threats, but manage to process arriving passengers with a lot more respect and decide who they need to stop, and who they don't, far more quickly.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Your wife just need to avoid traveling through Miami.  I always get stopped and searched when I passed through Miami.  JFK, Newark, Atlanta, Washington, DC and Houston, Hobby are a breeze.  No problema.  Even the Nightmare call LAX is a piece of cake.   I always avoid Miami and everybody I know try not to flight internationally through Miami.  I'm Dominican with An American Passport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry WW. I don't see any article and perhaps that's for the better.

I also keep in mind that security problems started in Europe and the UK. We all should remember how shocked we were from all of those heinous attacks. More security problems spreading into other parts of the world. We all have our own opinions about the why's and more thoughts. Though the U.S. is very vocal and visible in the news, it is not the only changes that I am interested in. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not interested in News stories since those are a dime a dozen and really don't count. I'm interested in real facts and situations that have been noted and/or experienced by our DR 1 travelers, both Dominican and others.

It has moved up to the front page for Sunday's edition-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/25/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Oops? SKY is correct. No more added pages.

No more. No extra pages issued. When full you need a new US Passport.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/passport-extra-pages_us_56682be9e4b009377b2305bd

I stand very much corrected and humbled. I went to the U.S State Department sight @ https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html
and used the search for "adding additional visa pages" and found:

"The U.S. Department of State will no longer add visa pages into U.S. passports beginning January 1, 2016. Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards." More there but not going to copy the whole thing.;

I guess that we obtained our extra pages before the deadline. Thanks SKY for pointing us/ME in the correct direction.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Worth a try or prison?

With all the changes and confusion, I wonder if I can get my Diplomatic Passport renewed? I still have it... somewhere. It expired sometime around 1972 I think. Do you think that they will catch the part about being "a Dependent"? lol.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Muhammad Ali's son, who is in his mid forties, was detained and questioned about his name and religion yesterday at the airport. Traveling with his mother. People are nervous. No one seems to be in charge, no one knows the rules. Friends with green cards are not leaving the US to visit family in the DR. Just too much uncertainty

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I read this in many other articles. I'll keep my opinion to myself as to why he was pulled out, detained and questioned. I'll keep my opinions to myself as to possible speculation as to why he was treated so.

He is an individual man that should be able to stand on his own and have all his papers in order. Not saying that he didn't.

As I have said, security procedures may be changing. Real factual experiences please.

Don't credit these border boys as being super human.... they're just people.

I used to run into Liam Neesom in NYC, he was in Green Card application.
As foreigners, we talked.

The agent kept picking away at his application, always making him come back.
Finally, Neesom cleared.

The agent asked for an autograph..... F U was the response.

The guy just kept telling his pals...
I have Liam Neeson again this week.

True story.

Maybe these guys wanted some time with Ali's boy
Looks good on their resume 

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I really.......... REALLY want to keep politics out of this. We understand that procedures have and are changing. But personal evaluations and given news articles that you wish to support your personal views does not help this forum.

If Liam Neeson wishes to join the conversation then I respect that. If Ali wishes to join the conversation then I respect that.

Others drawing speculative conclusions based on news reports and hearsay perhaps should take a breath.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Muhammad Ali's son, who is in his mid forties, was detained and questioned about his name and religion yesterday at the airport. Traveling with his mother. People are nervous. No one seems to be in charge, no one knows the rules. Friends with green cards are not leaving the US to visit family in the DR. Just too much uncertainty

Stop fear mongering please. There is no reason. If you have your papers in order, you are fine. It's the same security measures and questions put into effect after 9-11-01. If you've traveled by air in the last 16 years, it's exactly the same. Depending on the agents, some lines move slower. Nothing more, nothing less. I flew into Las Americas on Thursday. Not one problem for anybody on my flight.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Now, may I also include a replay of a full conversation that I saw, heard, and witnessed MYSELF (right in front of me), Thursday morning at Las Americas. This was upon arrival, and how I explained it to a friend of mine yesterday.
"I get off the plane, and go right to the infamous 30 day tourist card booth. Yes, they have made some changes. The guy standing there selling the card spoke English. Not Dominican English. Not broken English. Like born in the USA, and educated in a good school English. LOL. Anyway, the guy in front of me, walks up to the desk and has the following conversation:
Guy: Good morning sir, I would like to buy the 60 day tourist card please.
Agent: Our tourist card is for 30 days.
Guy: No, you don't understand, I want to stay longer than 30 days.
Agent: So stay longer than 30 days.
Guy: I don't understand.
Agent. Buy this card. You stay for 30 days. Stay longer, and pay when you leave.
Guy: No, you don't understand, I want to pay now for 60 days.
Agent: Sir, we need the line to move. $10 please. For a 30 day card.
Guy: But I want to stay longer.
Agent: Sir, buy this card and stay forever if you want, but I need you to step aside, there are people waiting.
The Guy paid the $10...and stood there befuddled. I stepped up, handed over my passport and $10, the agent gave me a card, I said thank you, and moved on with life."
This is not made up, and again, occurred right in front of me Thursday morning. I am not posting this to stir up a conversation that goes on like Lambchop singing (Google it), but rather people want first hand experiences.....here is one from three days ago.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
E.U. requires Visas for U.S. ?

I saw a couple of articles that U.S. citizens will be required to have a Visa to enter any of the E.U. member countries. They are looking to enforce starting sometime this summer IF the E.U. has a final vote.

My wife had heard about it but she has not looked into it very much other then the Visa would need to be issued in the country that you are residing in. In our case, the Dominican Republic and it can take 90 days to get the Visa once we narrow down where to go to apply.

My wife had no security problems last Tuesday going from POP to Miami then on to the Midwest.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I have not read this whole thred, so if someone allready offered this I'm sorry. If you travel a lot. I'm back and forth to the US once a month, uasually Miami. See about getting Golbal Entry US.. Other countries, CDA, etc call it something else. In miami I'm in and out, from badgage claim to Im. in 7 min. on a good day, Mid. week, to 10 min. Hope this helps.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Since they put the machines in Miami it is a breeze. You don't need Global Entry to use them, just a US Passport. If you do not get an X on your receipt you do not have to go to a booth.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Your right, but it is not as easy, Fri-Sun.. On weekend you still have to stand in long lines, if you are not a US cit. If you travel a lot and have a plane to catch, it may be worth it. Just a thought.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am on the curb in Newark and Toronbto in less than 20 minutes from stepping off the plane.

NEXUS, in conjunction with Global Entry

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I cannot imagine anyone who is heading to Europe from DR on business would want to go via Miami, or indeed via anywhere else in the US. Flying west on nasty American Airlines to stand in line forever before waiting forever to board another flight to fly back over where you have just come from. By far the most comfortable routes into Europe, if you are travelling for business, are on British Airways Club (or Premium Economy) direct from Punta Cana to Gatwick, now 3 times a week, or Iberia Business out of Santo Domingo daily to Madrid. I do a lot with Avios and I can get Iberia to London from SDQ in Business from about $200 plus miles. Each of these has flat-beds and a private cabin space and nice service.

To Havana I would agree, Copa is a wonderful airline and the transit through Panama is very well organised and effortless. PAWA also has excellent reports. Surely nobody would pass these airlines over in favour of American Airlines who have lost my bags five out of the last six flights.

Transiting through US airports has always, in my view, been unpleasant, involved a huge amount of walking, horrible lounges, extremely rude and arrogant staff and illogical lines. It's well known that the US government knows pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about everyone on a plane before they even board. So the charade of getting everyone to stand in line for hours and be subjected to all these questions is, in my opinion, purely designed to make everyone think that the US is being "tough on immigration". Countries like the UK have equally busy airports, strong immigration problems and terror threats, but manage to process arriving passengers with a lot more respect and decide who they need to stop, and who they don't, far more quickly.

I have travelled via miami these past years from europe tomget to the dr, mainly because its much easier for me to arrive in santiago.
What I find hard to believe is :

#1. Up until recently, you had to pick up your cases in the US even if just in transit.... i mean w.tf ?...... especially since its dr style organisation in miami :  pick up your case, walk through customs who dont even glance at you, drop cases off again......no trolleys, long queues....
The funny part is my wife never bothered doing that,  she just walked through the customs w/o her luggage...... and it always arrived in santiago lol..... talk about usless process....jeeez.

#2.  So i transit in the US. Why on earth do I have to go through the process of entering the US to immediatly leave again to catch my connection to the dr...... mind buffing...... security/immigration wise it would make more sense to NOT allow you to leave the "in-transit" zone when using miami airport solely as a " hub ". But no, no transit zones in the US...duuhh.
And yes, I get it, one could still be subject to passport control and security checks, but still it would it more fluid for ALL passengers, even the ones with an end destination in miami ( or the US in general ).

That said, its nice not to have to pick up checked luggae anymore ( depending on which european country u are coming from ),  and its nice to be able to use the customs-machine thingys from the 2nd trip onwards while travelling with the visa waiver thingy.