Travel changes from/to the DR.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Not true.  Many people with proper legal papers have been detained or denied entry to the US.  No one knows the rules now and it seems to be at the whim of each official.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Not true.  Many people with proper legal papers have been detained or denied entry to the US.  No one knows the rules now and it seems to be at the whim of each official.

That is the reason for this thread. Security and procedures seem to be changing in many places. So here is where we can discuss personal or first hand observations and experiences. What one may experience may be very different from another at the same airport on the same day. Being at the "whim of each official" may be true since some may not understand new procedures or just having a bad day. On the other hand, the traveler may not know them either, not hard to understand that, and having a bad day too. Being human does have it's flaws that we tend to be able to share back and forth with others. lol

We have the Global easy pass that gets us through customs pretty fast and don't really see the regular customs lines. My wife was pulled to the side once using the system. No big deal but a first for her. She get's through just about everything in almost record time no matter what she does and smiles. ME? I'm always behind the slowest car... the market line with the one person in front of me having major problems causing huge delays at check out. The LPG runs out that heats the hot water when I have shampoo in my hair. Such is life. Call me Grumpy. ;)

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

United States airports are currently awaiting their shipments of green Presidente chairs. Once they're received, US airports will start operating in the well functioning manner of the DR airports in regards to their tourist regulations, regarding entry and departure. That should clear some things up.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Can you present one concrete example, one publicized and factual?

Hey bob. Publicized and factual are at odds. The online news and TV news have several examples. What we don't know or get is from Customs or ICE point of view and reasons since they are not allowed to comment about specific individuals that were detained or denied entry. We do tend to get the one sided view from the person detained/denied entry usually with their lawyer in front of many news media outlets usually about profiling and discrimination.

So we read and hear only one side. Though I tend to believe them to some point, in my own good conscious I can not make a judgement until I have all the facts from both sides. So I leave that to the legal system.

Perhaps everyone involved was just having a bad day and it became a reverse smile that can be contagious to others. A contagious bad day attitude? Who knows?

As I said. My wife is happy and smiles; and gets an upgrade 9 out of 10 times when flying. Grumpy gets his own spot in the airplane hold in a cage with the other snarling animals. At least I have my own cage. Perhaps we deserve to be where we ended up. ;)

I'll bet that everyone that travels has seen the likes of my "wife and me" while traveling. I'll bet that you made some sort of "judgement" about us. Right?

Real and personal experiences and observations are so much better.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I am one of those... refused entry to the USA..... border agent didn't believe me.

The son of Ali story is another except that there have been US born Muslims committing terrorist acts.
Citizen or not, they can question you any time they want.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I am one of those... refused entry to the USA..... border agent didn't believe me.

The son of Ali story is another except that there have been US born Muslims committing terrorist acts.
Citizen or not, they can question you any time they want.

You have not told your whole story William and we must rely on you to tell the whole story from your point of view since we can not get the border agent to comment.

Ali is one of the stories that I referred to, without naming, that the news reports one side with lawyer and nothing from the other. I tend to lean toward Ali but that is really not a fair evaluation. Is it! To many other variables could be reasonable for his detention that we have no idea about.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did post most of it in another thread.

I'll type it out tomorrow morning.... 
it's not fun , being in the sights of the Homeland Security boys, trust me

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
In a different thread please, this one is in Dominicans Abroad forum, only to and from DR

Sorry AE. I tend to get a little off too. This is a global topic that I try to bring back to the D.R. concerning global travel in and out. News about being possible that the EU might require U.S. citizens to have a Visa? This will, of course, require U.S. citizens in the D.R. that travel to any of the EU members to get a Visa here in the D.R. This is NOT a done deal but very well could be.

It would be interesting to hear from Dominicans concerning their travel experiences first hand. A.E.? You have any?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I have not seen any real changes regarding entering or leaving the Dominican Republic. A couple of minor "glitches" perhaps that would be normal looking at the overall scope of things.

As I have stated before, POP changes procedures for awhile then changes back.

But I have not read about ONE person having a problem entering or leaving the D.R. that had any real problem concerning customs or security either in the D.R. or the other country of departure or entry.

Gosh knows that I tried to find some. But nothing can be found at this time. All is well.

Do as my wife does... be happy, smile and have a good trip.

Ty.

Perhaps this thread should be closed? As the MOD wishes.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Nothing different for me.  Left DR the other day, entered JFK.  All good.  All they said was welcome back (at US immigration).