Trujillo was assassinated on Friday night

Sep 20, 2003
Golo, I was sincerely hoping to hear your input on this topic.(Actually, I'm always interested in your opinions on any topic.)

I have to disagree with you on a few points.

Trujillo driving to his San Cristobal estate with only a single car and lone driver/body guard was a security tactic in itself. Trujillo in some ways was safer travelling in a lone car than with a large security detail. Large convoys only draw attention and Trujillo's presence would have been know to potential assassins using sniper rifles(killed President Kennedy), roadside/car bombs(almost killed Venezuelan President Bettancourt), or ambush(which did eventually kill Trujillo). Trujillo, until just fifteen days before his assassination, was not actually alone on his frequent trips to San Cristobal. A six car SIM security detail would patrol the highway ahead and behind Trujillo's car.

Trujillo recognized the security of the lone car travel himself.

Trujillo's security was compromised by some of his own soldiers. The killing of Trujillo was an inside job.

The shot gun blast which first wounded Trujillo was fired by Antonio de la Maza, not Imbert. Trujillo was hit in his side, not the shoulder. The final pistol shot which killed El Jefe was fired by De la Maza, not Imbert.

Trujillo fought and died bravely, no doubt. After being wounded by the shot gun blast, Trujillo cried out "Cono,I've been hit!" Trujillo's driver, Captain Zacarias de la Cruz, noted that Trujillo had not spoken those words in fear, but was instead incredulity. Quite simply, Trujillo seemed dumbfounded that anyone would dare shoot him. A second shotgun blast went through the car before Zacarias slammed on the brakes and Imbert(who was the assassin's car driver) overshot Trujillo's car.

Trujillo, despite being badly wounded, was still shouting orders to his driver. "Pendejos,pendejos,get the guns,we fight,get the maldito guns!" Trujillo's driver tried to convince El Jefe to retreat in the car back to Santo Domingo, Trujillo refused. "But Jefe, there are a lot of them...better we get out of here,Jefe." Trujillo only shouted,"No,no,no!" Zacarias was actually going to disobey Trujillo and drive away but stopped the car because Trujillo was in the process of unlocking the back door and getting out of the car to fight the assassins himself.

Zacarias grabbed one of two loaded machine guns in the front seat and fired, on full automatic, a burst of machine gun fire into the assassin car that was stopped only 50 feet away.

Antonio de la maza returned fire with his shotgun, Imbert fired with his 45. pistol, Estrella and Amadito were lying flat on the pavement firing thier pistols.

Zacarias emptied two seperate sub machine guns into the attackers and was in the process of aiming a third gun, a Thompson sub machine gun, when he was struck in the head by a bullet and knocked unconcious. (he had also been peppered with multiply gun shot wounds before the final head shot)

Trujillo had leaned up against his car and was firing his .38 caliber pistol.

De la Maza had circled around in the darkness and confusion and blasted Trujillo with another blast of his shot gun. Trujillo recieved the full blast of pellets. He still did not fall, instead he stumbled forward, then spun around, facing SD(Cuidad Trujillo) and finally collapsed. When Antonio de la Maza reached Trujillo, he was still, still alive, and breathing. De la Maza took Trujillo's pistol out of his hand and shot El Jefe in the face at point blank range. The bullet shattered Trujillo's chin and lodged behind his ear.

I don't consider what the assassins did as cowardly. This was a rare oppurtunity to kill Trujillo. If they had failed, Trujillo would have surrounded himself with intense security and that would have made it nearly impossible for future successful assassination.

This attack was all or nothing.

By the end of the gun battle, everyone had been hit by bullets, Imbert even suffered a bullet wound to his head. (I suppose a graze)

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Yan-Yan said:
Wao, how nice!... It's good to see Trujillo being killed again! ;)

Thanks for sharing Chiri.

wow ,thats pretty disrespectful considering what Trujillo did for DR . he was a true patriot and only wanted what was good for DR . Its a shame that there are people who feel this way . This shows that the factions trying to destroy his image and make DR a liberal paradise are actually winning people over . now if the situation is that Trujillo did something bad to a relative of yours , i see why u feel that way, but if its not ,then you should study and research all the good he did and you will see that no one in history (other then Juan Pablo Duarte) has done sooo much for the Dominican people ,i actually wish he would have stayed in power longer(even though i was not born yet) ,regardless of how tryanical his reign was , the truth is what he accomplished should be acknowledged and respected both in the history books and the media.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Joel,
It sounds like you were present at the time. ;)
Where did you get all this info from? I would like to read up on it more. DR history fascinates me. The little I know is based on reading books.

****Great thread! It's a good change*** :)

Sep 20, 2003
Actually the assassination is detailed in several different books. And none of the books agree on the exact details. All have Trujillo saying slightly different things, the actions of the players are also slightly different. I guess it all depends on who of the survivors you ask and at what point in their lives they were asked.

I recommend:

Death of the Goat, by Bernard Diedrich.

The author is a noted journalist who was the first western reporter to report Trujillo's death. He was also nearby at a resturant when the gun battle between Antonio de la Maza and General Diaz broke with Trujillo's heavily armed SIM agents. Berhard saw the dead assassins lying in the park just momennts after the fight had ended.

The Life And Times Of A Caribbean Dictator,by Robert Crassweller. A good book covering Trujillo's entire rule.

I've have read several books on Trujillo, some I own, others I borrowed from the Library.

I also enjoyed reading "Feast of the Goat" by Mario Vargas Llhosa. I actually travelled to NYC last March just to see the play based on that novel. I wrote my own review of the play on another thread somewhere on this board.

I guess in a way, I did see the assassination of El Jefe. :)

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
If the man died like that (Joels & Golo way) he was definitly no coward, wow. What I just want to say about Trujillo and all the dicatators, kings, etc. I don't understand how it is frowned upon when Dominicans celebrate Trujillo?! When in Romania they are constructing a park to honor Vlad "Dracula" the impaler, a horrible man in history, Greeces national hero is Alexander the Great, Romes is Julius Ceaser, the Mongolia celebrate Chinggis Kahn, the US is George Washington. You know what all these people have in common alot of death on their hands, all these great men Killed alot of people some innocent, others not so innocent. Trujillo did alot of good, did alot of bad, maybe 100 years from now he'll be viewed as a hero, maybe not.
I respect him but at the same time hate him, he stole farm land from the poor, made all of DRs "elite" society class & at the end was becoming crazy he was beginning to take everything and not give back like he did in the beginning. He left the DR in shambles, he found it like he left it.

Peace,
Capo

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Trujillo was a smart man. Had he used his intelligence in other ways, and ruled differently, we would have been better. He had the capability of being a productive leader. His initial intentions were good but, he became too greedy and did not think of the country. Delinquency was not as rampant as today. This was mostly because he used a scare tactic on the population. How could you rule like that? But hey, it worked. He does have his good, bad, and ugly. He comitted crimes against others (e.g Haitians) and his own counrtymen.

PS Thanks Joel

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
FuegoAzul21 said:
wow ,thats pretty disrespectful considering what Trujillo did for DR . he was a true patriot and only wanted what was good for DR . Its a shame that there are people who feel this way . This shows that the factions trying to destroy his image and make DR a liberal paradise are actually winning people over . now if the situation is that Trujillo did something bad to a relative of yours , i see why u feel that way, but if its not ,then you should study and research all the good he did and you will see that no one in history (other then Juan Pablo Duarte) has done sooo much for the Dominican people ,i actually wish he would have stayed in power longer(even though i was not born yet) ,regardless of how tryanical his reign was , the truth is what he accomplished should be acknowledged and respected both in the history books and the media.
And don't forget that trains ran on time too. :rolleyes:

Apr 26, 2002
Pib said:
And don't forget that trains ran on time too. :rolleyes:
Pib, you missed the opportunity to insert some Dominican irony and scope into that great pro-fascist cliche. For Trujillo and the DR, it should be: "He made the TRAIN (sans the plural) run on time."

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
capodominicano said:
If the man died like that (Joels & Golo way) he was definitly no coward, wow. What I just want to say about Trujillo and all the dicatators, kings, etc. I don't understand how it is frowned upon when Dominicans celebrate Trujillo?! When in Romania they are constructing a park to honor Vlad "Dracula" the impaler, a horrible man in history, Greeces national hero is Alexander the Great, Romes is Julius Ceaser, the Mongolia celebrate Chinggis Kahn, the US is George Washington. You know what all these people have in common alot of death on their hands, all these great men Killed alot of people some innocent, others not so innocent. Trujillo did alot of good, did alot of bad, maybe 100 years from now he'll be viewed as a hero, maybe not.
I respect him but at the same time hate him, he stole farm land from the poor, made all of DRs "elite" society class & at the end was becoming crazy he was beginning to take everything and not give back like he did in the beginning. He left the DR in shambles, he found it like he left it.

Peace,
Capo

well obviously it was left in shambles cuase he was assasinated and it opened up a pandoras box ,had that been done differantly maybe the usa wouldnt of had to but into our affairs (1960s) and avoided a civil war too

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
FuegoAzul21 said:

Why should I show respect for a man that showed no respect for his country or his people?... I wish my father could read English, he would have a heart attack reading all this bs!

Trujillo was an egocentric maniac!!... Did somebody here say that he was a smart man??!!... Oh my!

The subject has been widely covered in other forums here, so no need to get off the subject... But yes, Trujillo killed my great-grandfather and and repressed my family for the 31 years he was in power, followed by 12 years of Balaguer... I have enough reason to abhor him and all of those that were part of his clan, some of them still around...

You should be the one doing the research, if you think that type of rulling was right for the DR, then it sure was right for Iraq, is good for Cuba, you'd probably agree that Hitler was great for Germany, that Mussolini did wonders for Italy, Pinochet should still be in Chile and Somoza in Nicaragua... (I could go on forever!)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although I am firmly on the side of the Trujillo-haters in this thread, I concede that there is a huge double standard. All the leaders this country has had were responsible for abuses, repression and in some cases widespread unlawful killing of opponents. Yet, they all get avenues, airports and other things named in their honour. Trujillo is completely absent, yet it is universally acknowledged that he did do some good things for the country. If he is to be erased from the national memory, why not also Balaguer? Unlike Trujillo, the memory of the positive things Balaguer did for the DR is allowed to overshadow the negatives. The death toll in his '12 years' should be enough to put him in the same category as Trujillo.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Although I am firmly on the side of the Trujillo-haters in this thread, I concede that there is a huge double standard. All the leaders this country has had were responsible for abuses, repression and in some cases widespread unlawful killing of opponents. Yet, they all get avenues, airports and other things named in their honour. Trujillo is completely absent, yet it is universally acknowledged that he did do some good things for the country. If he is to be erased from the national memory, why not also Balaguer? Unlike Trujillo, the memory of the positive things Balaguer did for the DR is allowed to overshadow the negatives. The death toll in his '12 years' should be enough to put him in the same category as Trujillo.

Totally agree!... The problem is that Dominicans don't read history and we don't speak with our parents of what life was those years... The PRSC has made sure we only remember the good things Balaguer did.... And we have a very short memory: we forget all evil things done, when we have a free basket of food or free toys handed to us on Christmas or "D?a de los Reyes"!...

I did see a few Dominican flags hanging from some balconies the day Balaguer died... It was a silent celebration from the Dominicans that know better...

But we don't have to go that far back in history... Look at Jorge Blanco now... He's Dominican royalty!! I would be ashamed of being seen in the same room with that major criminal!! But now he's a prominent member of the society (???!!!)... Don't be surprised that the day Hipolito dies he will be remembered as a hero!... It's sad, isn't it?

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Correction on the books mentioned here.

La Muerte del Chivo (Death of the Goat) is the semi-fictional book written by the well-known Peruvian (now Spanish citizen) Mario Vargas Llosa and on which the film now being made in Santo Domingo is based. The book has many inaccuracies so the film will have even more (I could see it during the filming which I have spent hours and hours watching on recent weekends).

An excellent book, which I have but forget the title, "Trujillo's Last Days" or something (which is very detailed and has plenty of photos), is by Bernard Diederich, mistakenly given as the author of Death of the Goat.

By the way, after Trujillo's assasination a popular merengue went: "mataron al chivo, en la carretera...." (they killed the goat, on the highway...) which was in reference to his assasination but with the double entendre since his family still had a hold on power at the time.

This is a fascinating subject to me since I lived the first 12 years of life under his regime and saw him, as well as many members of his family, in person. Being up in years is not all negative and at least having lived many experiences makes up for some of the negatives.

I worked for 21 years two blocks from the White House in DC so I got to sneak out and see so many presidents, prime ministers, astronauts, kings and queens, etc. I was 14 when JFK was assasinated and was hanging around on Pennsylvania Ave. when Oswald was shot while the motorcade with the Kennedys went up to the Capitol. I was in the crowd (by the reflecting pool) for Martin Luther King's 'I Have A Dream' speech at the Lincoln Memorial in 63 and then in 68 for Resurrection City after MLK was assasinated. I was there for RFK's funeral too. During Watergate I kept rooting for everyone that was against that awful man Nixon; and Mitchell, Halderman, et al. I was there when Nixon quit and left and I remember seeing young Dan Rather, Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw reporting in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Oops!
This is a DR forum! Sorry!

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Positives and Negatives

DRPapitoLindo said:
Oh you have to love Trujillo. He was a great dictator even if he have done some bad deeds during his time.

Even horrific dictators have their positive sides. If you did not mess with him and he had no interest in you there was no problem with Trujillo. However, if he wanted something of yours, including a young daughter, then the terrible side was very obvious.

It's true that you could leave your doors unlocked and crime was almost unheard of during his time due to the tough consequences. He was nationalistic and kept the country debt-free and developed it a great deal even though eventually he took over just about every institution or asset.
So, you can make a case FOR and AGAINST Trujillo or any dictator.

Sep 20, 2003
Spirit 7
The book "FEAST of the Goat" was written by Mario vargas Llhosa. That was the title it was published under in the United States. I'm assuming it was different in the DR.

The book "Death of the Goat" WAS written by Berhard Diederich, Actually the correct title is :Trujillo, The Death of the Goat".

I'm not sure if the title was "Trujillo's Last Days" ,(Diederich) when published in the DR, but the American copy I own is actually titled "Death of the Goat".

Spirit 7, I just checked Amazon.com and The Internet Movie Database, the correct title is "Feast of the Goat". Are you sure the film version will be entitled "Murder" or "Feast" of the Goat?

The Film site ON IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428532/

Last edited:

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Yan-Yan said:
Why should I show respect for a man that showed no respect for his country or his people?... I wish my father could read English, he would have a heart attack reading all this bs!

Trujillo was an egocentric maniac!!... Did somebody here say that he was a smart man??!!... Oh my!

The subject has been widely covered in other forums here, so no need to get off the subject... But yes, Trujillo killed my great-grandfather and and repressed my family for the 31 years he was in power, followed by 12 years of Balaguer... I have enough reason to abhor him and all of those that were part of his clan, some of them still around...

You should be the one doing the research, if you think that type of rulling was right for the DR, then it sure was right for Iraq, is good for Cuba, you'd probably agree that Hitler was great for Germany, that Mussolini did wonders for Italy, Pinochet should still be in Chile and Somoza in Nicaragua... (I could go on forever!)

Im very sorry for your family and your grandfather like i said in my original post i understand why you feel that way ,However , during his time DR was economically strong , something that before that Dr had never expeirienced .Before Trujillo DR was barely a soveriegn nation , some even still called it spanish Haiti , never had any power or anything just a tiny little country for anybodys taking. Trujillo changed that , if it wasnt for trujillo alot of things would be very differant today.(we might have even been worse than most Latin american countries and haiti) .DR never had stability to grow ,Trujillo changed that . if u you look through DRs history there has always been a power struggle between political parties. His goal was to put Dr on the map , becuase past cowards couldnt accomplish anything.yes, he was a tyrant ,he had flaws , but it looks like to me thats how you had to be in those times to rule effectivly in DR , but since i wasnt around, theirs not much i could say about living under his rule , but i do research and from what i have noticed he did more good for the country than people like to beleive and i wonder why arent other presidents who were just as ruthless but brought nothing good to the country example , lilis heroux , the guy was haitian for gods sakes !!!!!!!!!, he was extremely ruthless , ruled with an iron fist , and did absolutely nothing for the country but try to sell it to the USA !!!! , he too was assignated and his death was celebrated throughout the country , but no , no one remembers that ( i do understand that everyone from that time is dead , but there is still no bad publicity towards him), becuase of factions against everything that is Dominican and liberal media ,Trujillo was the devil himself and we should forget he existed . I think that is BS , i too wonder why they dont have things named after him ( i know they just renamed pico duarte to Pico trujillo) .As for other countries rulers they didnt really do too much good for their countries like Trujillo did . theirs the differance

Sep 20, 2003
Speaking of the Caudillo Heureaux, he was assassinated on July 26,1899.

He was shot 6 times.

Two of the assassins were from prominent Dominican families. Their names?

de la Maza

Caceres

Both families would later also be involved in the assassination of Trujillo.

Interesting.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
joel pacheco said:

He was shot 6 times.

de la Maza

Caceres

Interesting.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I did not know that! Is that true??

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
joel pacheco said:

He was shot 6 times.

de la Maza

Caceres

Interesting.
Caudillo or dictator. Or both. I think it is the latter.

I knew C?ceres was responsible for Lil?'s assasination (I like the Spanish word ajusticiamiento better). What I didn't know is that he had anything to do with the other C?ceres.