Trujillo was assassinated on Friday night

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
History repeats itself

It's true about Heureaux and Trujillo's assasinations.

But then again, in the USA, in 1865, Abraham Lincoln was assasinated by Boothe and it has been alleged that Andrew Johnson, vicepresident and successor to Lincoln, was involved in the plot (Boothe was done away with quickly).

In 1963, John F. Kennedy was assasinated by Oswald (??) and others (??) and it has been alleged that Lyndon Johnson, vicepresident and successor to Kennedy, was also involved in the plot (Oswald was done away with quickly).

History repeats itself.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I hate to rehash this over and over

But those who killed Trujillo were a bunch of cowards and traitors. Had they been alive today we would have been sorry. You could call them The Wild Bunch. Imbert Barreras, Antonio de La maza, Luis Amiama Tio and the rest were just a corrupt bunch who were parasites of Trujillo. They lived like kings and acted like slave owners. De La maza was an assasin, who always depended on being sorrounded by killers to do his own mischief. I remember my parents used to hide my sister whenever De La Maza drove by. He was an abductor of young beautiful young girls. He owned all the lumber in the border thanks to Trujillo. Imbert drives today with the biggest entourage of bodyguards in the history of DR, using bronze license plates. He bankrupted our gold mine. If we have so much corruption, it is due to anti-trujillo people, who dominate government today. Take people like Angel Miolan, Jorge Blanco, and our old-line politicians and they are all worse than Trujillo. They have stolen not only Trujillo's legacy(all the CEA land, sugar mills, industries) but they have stolen our own tax money in greater after greater scandals.
TW

Sep 20, 2003
Antonio De La Maza had a reputation for the love of whiskey, women,and his large farm in Moca, in that order. Nothing I have read says that De La Maza was a rapist. I have been researching this accusation and have not been able to find any information to support that allegation, on the contrary, the readings I have seen point to the fact that De La Maza was deeply upset by Trujillo's treatment women, especially the vicious murder of the Mirabal Sister's by SIM agents in 1960.

The circumstances of their killing is well known to most Dominicans now. The sisters were ambushed, driven into the mountains with their driver, and taken into a sugar cane field. There a hand picked squad of SIM dragged the sisters off into different parts of the sugar cane. All the sister's had there arms tied behind their backs. One of the sister's managed to break free and run back to the road, attempting to flag down a car to help her, she was dragged back screaming and crying. Moments later, Maria Teresa,apparently under going a sexual assault, started screaming "You can kill me but you're not going to rape me!" The commander of the SIM unit, Sergeant de la Rosa ,shouted for the soldier to just hurry up and kill her. The women were all brutally beaten to death with clubs, dragged back to their car, and pushed off a cliff. The Dominican government declared it a tragic auto acident, but most people knew this was a Trujillo ordered murder.

The killing of the Mirabal sisters sent deep shock waves through Dominican society. This particular crime, the murder of defenseless women, rattled people more than any of Trujillo's numerous atrocities. It was something that affected the Dominican sense of Machismo. It also upset der la Maza who told Salvador Estrella Sadhala, "this is an outrage! Look at what they are doing to women now!" he continued, "We must do something to finish this madman."

It is true that the members of the group were from the Dominican elite, and many owned there fortunes to Trujillo, but some men, like Louis Amiana Tio actually turned down cabinet minister positions twice to avoid working for The Trujillo regime. The Mirabal murder is also what finally pushed General Lupo Roman, a man married to Trujillo's niece, to join in the plot to kill el jefe.

I believe Golo when he says his parents hid his beautiful younger sister from de la Maza, but the story about him being an abductor of attractive girls sounds like something Trujillistas and the SIM would spread around to discredit someone who Trujillo feared might be working against him in some manner. In fact it was Trujilo who was an abductor of beautiful young girls, it would be wise to hide pretty daughters from Trujillo and his brothers first and foremost.

The reason Imbert has a large security detail

On March 21, 1967, while driving through Santo Dom ingo, without a single body guard, General Imbert was ambushed by a blue Chevrolet Impala. The assassins inside opened fire with m-16's and FAL automatic weapons, the car was riddled with bullets. Imbert was shot twice in the shoulder, his friend was seriously wounded. Inspite of his car having a tire blown out by bullets, Imbert sped away and drove to the nearby International clinic, the same clinic that Trujillo assassin Pedro Livio had been treated.

The assassins were never caught. Later the rumor circulated that Ramfis Trujilo, from his exile in Europe, had paid 100,000$ to have Imbert murdered.

I think it should be pointed out that many of those involved in the plot, as well as their family members ,were killed by Trujillistas after the assassination. Many suffered horrific tortures straight out of Dante's Inferno. General Pupo Roman had his head shaved, was brutally tortured, had his eyelids sewn back to his eye brows, kept awake for several days at a time, scarred with acid, castrated, and at one point forced to swallow his own castrated testicles. He suffered barbaric torture for months until Ramfis finally shot and killed him. The de la Maza family had five of its sons tortured and murdered by the SIM. Antonio de la Maza himself died bravely in a gun battle with heavily armed SIM agents.

Not everyone in the plot acted on selfish reasonings, many did it because of genuine moral outrage at Trujillo's cruelties.

Granted, Trujillo did much to build the DR into a modern nation, but the price in cruelty was eventually too much for even his elites to endure.

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
FuegoAzul21 said:
wow ,thats pretty disrespectful considering what Trujillo did for DR . he was a true patriot and only wanted what was good for DR . Its a shame that there are people who feel this way . This shows that the factions trying to destroy his image and make DR a liberal paradise are actually winning people over . now if the situation is that Trujillo did something bad to a relative of yours , i see why u feel that way, but if its not ,then you should study and research all the good he did and you will see that no one in history (other then Juan Pablo Duarte) has done sooo much for the Dominican people ,i actually wish he would have stayed in power longer(even though i was not born yet) ,regardless of how tryanical his reign was , the truth is what he accomplished should be acknowledged and respected both in the history books and the media.

Some people just don't understand.....It is true he did some crimes but there were way less crimes than today and he kept most people honest. According to what the oldies tell me, you could set a gold chain on top of a rock and come back the next day and no one would dare touching it".
According to what i have seen all i have to say is that we need another Trujillo........Hmmmmmm.........I think i would be a good Trujillo.....I should start thinking about masterminding the next revolution.

Sep 20, 2003
Which of the assassins is buried in the Panteon National?

Antonio de la Maza

General Juan Tomas Diaz?

Is Loius Amiana Tio buried there? If not, why not?

I realize most of those involved in the assassination were murdered and feed to sharks by the SIM, but I am curious about which ones were buried there.

stew

Apr 20, 2005
Trujillo Praisers

You guy who are promoting Trujillo i think are either obvious relatives of the guy, or just plain ignorant people who have heard stories of him, from family members and find his tactics cool. Just like there are some who see Hitler in that regard as well.Convicted of Kidnapping and Rape in 1920 Trujillo was a tactful/decietful/traitor and disloyal to his word. He came to power basically through the use of power, and by making Horacio Vasquez (president in 1926-30)gorventment trust him, but then he turned on him, and basically inserted himself in power. As far as him paying external debt, industrializing DR, he did this all for himself, the Dominicans sure didnt benifit from this. Except for him. The rapes/murders/tortures and forced laborcamps that went unpunished at the time were relentless. Obviously a poor country like DR, at the time, had no TV, no free Media, it was all basically controlled by him, praising himself, and using intellectuals like Balaguer among others, to make him seem almost supernatural.He forced people to say they were living good, when they were living in misery. At the time of his death his fortune was estimated at 800million dollars the 6th richest in the world at the time. When i hear people praise him, as if they lived in these times, or if they knew what was actually going on is ridiculous and plain ignorant. Go see the movies El Poder Del Jefe 1-3, its a very good documentaries by Rene Fortunato.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Que viva El Jefe!

One of the best anecdotes about ?El Jefe? is from one of my own distant cousins, don Mingo Romero, the elder of Copei, a hamlet of about fifty mud huts with palm thatched roofs, still without electricity and beyond the reach of cellphone service, south of San Juan de la Maguana. On one of El Jefe?s infrequent trips to San Juan, around early 1950s, my cousin found himself in a crowd lining San Juan?s main street, waiting to catch a glimpse of El Jefe, and at the sight of El Jefe, my cousin, in his enthusiasm, stepped forward into the middle of the street for a better look, moment in which a gaggle of guards pounced upon him, whipping and kicking him mercilessly. At the sight, Trujillo himself yelled to his men: ?stop, don?t kill that man?. When my cousin tells this story, it?s obvious that the memory of his encounter with Trujillo was a portentous event which fills him with incredible pride.

Sep 20, 2003
How popular is Trujillo in the DR today? I read the article by the businessman nd Historian Bernado Vega attempting to discredit the Trujillo Era. Why did he feel it necessary to write that article?

Has Trujillo enjoyed a recent upsurge in popularity?

I doubt there has been a recent survey on this, but in the posters opinion, what % of the DR population has a postive view of El Jefe today?

Has a public figure in the DR recently praised the Trujillo Era?

What do public schools in the DR teach about the Trujillo Era?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
As a non-dom

inican,

From what I gather (my boyfriend and I have recently watched the 'El Poder' documentaries so it's been a topic of conversation between us) most Dominicans with whom I have contact feel he was a 'bad president' but are still in awe of how he 'organised/controlled' things - everything seemed to be under his control during his reign.

That's what I can gather.

Stay well,
Amy

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
amy2761 said:
From what I gather (my boyfriend and I have recently watched the 'El Poder' documentaries so it's been a topic of conversation between us) most Dominicans with whom I have contact feel he was a 'bad president' but are still in awe of how he 'organised/controlled' things - everything seemed to be under his control during his reign.
Dear Amy, you just got yourself an Understatement of the Year Award. ;) The guy was not merely a "bad president", he was a ruthless dictator. And a genocidal loon to boot. Of course he had things "under control", that's what dictators do. That and make the* train run on time.

*Kudos to Porfi for that one.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Pib said:
Dear Amy, you just got yourself an Understatement of the Year Award. ;) The guy was not merely a "bad president", he was a ruthless dictator. And a genocidal loon to boot. Of course he had things "under control", that's what dictators do. That and make the* train run on time.

*Kudos to Porfi for that one.

Intentional Pib, see for the most part that's the attitude that I get from the people I speak to here, not everyone seems to understand that what he was doing was horribly wrong ... but beacause it was a president that was doing it, that makes it ok?

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. wow, that's the first time I've gotten an award on DR1 *a little nervously* do I get a badge or something? ;)

Stay well,
Amy

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I know this is an old thread but when will Fiesta del Chivo be released? Will it be released in theathers or straight to DVD?

I keep checking imbd.com, it states 2005 but I have not seen it listed in any movie theaters. How is it possible that 'Andrea' came out before this film? It has so many good actors, IMO Stephanie Leonidas will be a great actress and could conquer the US film industry.

Any info would be appreciated.

Peace,
Capo

Sep 20, 2003
All the posts about Trujillo?s control of the Dominican Republic reminds me of a Trujillo Era Joke from the 1950?s.

This joke admits to both the good and the bad of the Trujillo Era. It admits that under Trujillo the DR had a thriving economy, a strong middle class, a strong Dominican Peso, and that the DR was a very modern country. It also points out the reign of terror that Trujillo used to control the Dominican people.Most people were afraid to do or say anything that could be considered anti Trujillo. The joke goes something like this.

A Dominican dog, healthy, well fed, muscular and beautiful is wandering through the lush and clean Dominican jungle. He arrives at the Domincan/Haitian border and swims across the river.

The dog wanders through Haiti. The land of Haiti is a moonscape. Deforested, and wrecked. The Dominican dog meets up with a Haitian dog. The Haitian dog is starving, a mere skeleton, it?s diseased and limping on an infected leg.

The Haitian dog looks at the healthy Dominican dog astonished and says,"Why have you come to this land of hunger?"

The Dominican dog looks at the Haitian and dog and says,"I came here to bark! To bark!"

Carlos De La Maza

Oct 7, 2008
Great Respect

Hello, I am the grandson of Rafael Maza. He is Antonio's brother and his last name was changed when he went into the US navy. It was not Anotnios shotgun but it was my grandads