Uasd

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DRob offers

After all, improved education and business opportunities leads to better jobs with improved wages and quality of life,

please bear with me here, as i am a slow guy. can you please explain how a multistory parking lot, built at exhorbitaant cost,furthers the cause of education? i am sure you can enlighten me on this one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The car park is just a boondoggle so one of the biggest wastes of money in the DR--the UASD--feels nice about itself. The Metro goes to the UASD, the tunnel from 27 de Febrero goes to the UASD...sheesh! If they were really serious they would dedicate that parking lot to parking the 100,000 non=students that "say" they are studying and have been there 10 years with no progress.

You have to understand the inferiority complex of the people from the UASD in order to understand all of this. Most of the politicians are UASD students or graduates, who couldn't do a whole lot more. They claim to be the oldest university in the Western Hemisphere, but the Saint Thomas University was closed by the Haitians in the early 1820s and it never reopened--except as the claimed UASD--over a hundred years later. That was why they yelled and screamed when the PUCMM opened its campus in Santo Domingo as the Saint Thomas of Aquinas Campus...there was a direct relation between Church and university. Ouch...

Which is not to say that the UASD or the older USD has not graduated some great people!! It has!...if you can put up with all of the administrative BS and politics...

Sorry for the detour, which will surely cause some acidic comments. It is an old rant.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thanks Hillbilly,I Was Going To Post Something "Similar".

But since few here on DR1 "understand" the "History" of "UASD" I left it alone.
"Short Course" on La UASD!
Uneducated kids go there to "Hang" with friends. They are "Closed" more than they are "Open"!
Strikes,riots,protests,ANYTHING so you don't actually have to study! All funded by the government!
"Tire Burning 101",popular course of "study". That,along with,"Rock throwing",and "Street Blocking"can lead to a degree in ANARCHY !!
La UASD is the "Third Rail" of Dominican politics!
A "Black Hole",(No Pun Intended!) to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ disappear!
The place is soooooooooooooooooo "Politicized", that it is "Paralyzed"!!!!
Sound about right???

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sound about right???????????????????????????????

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is an old saying: Como muestra, un bot?n! Here is a fine example. Not even politicized as so many are.

A good friend was dating a nice girl and she was studying medicine at the UASD in Santiago. Upon my advice she transferred to the PUCMM and was an outstanding student, but there was some sort of hang-up because her transcript never arrived from the UASD.
Over a year and a half later with a lot of credits taken, the couple decided to get married. A lovely wedding and then off to California.

Here is the Catch 22 of all of this.

The young lass cannot get a transcript from the PUCMM of the classes taken because said transcript would not be complete since the transcript from the UASD had never arrived, making her acceptance as a transfer student questionable at best.

The husband asked me to see about this and I turned to an employee of the UASD to see what could be done. Apparently the girl's academic record was in Santo Domingo. So, the husband paid for some trips to Santo Domingo and the end result, as of last year, was the the CD that had all of the records stored on them was somehow damaged and no transcript would be forthcoming. This describes fairly accurately, the administrative chaos that exists there. After this, the Registrar was fired and replaced but still no transcript. It is entirely possible that because the student requesting the transcript requested that it be sent to the PUCMM, that inter-institutional jealousy has put the pox on the issue.(Pure speculation on my part). The end result is that Dilcia is in California with no university credits to her name because she cannot prove that she was even at the UASD. And we keep trying....

You got your button!

HB

Aug 19, 2004
It amazes me how some of the people on this board seem to almost relish the notion of the DR not moving forward. Any half-wit knows that improvements in transportation and education are central to improvements in the economy and quality of life. This can be evidenced in the BRIC countries.

FYI I had a meeting with a couple of Brazilians today working on a Brazilian government sponsored project looking at the issues of accessibility and social inclusion, to provide an appropriate transport system for cities similar to Santo Domingo. Interestingly they didn't consider building a multi-storey car park next to a university as an appropriate solution or even evidence of moving forward. They actually had the nerve to suggest that transport by bicycle should also be considered!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Wise A$$ Brazilian Bastards!

They must really HATE Dominicans!

You know why you rarely see Dominicans riding a Bicycle?
Because in the DR,"You Ride a Bike,You DIE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead::dead::dead:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, the only people you see riding bicycles in the city are Haitians who have yet to move up to a motorcycle. On the highways, especially the Duarte and Joaquin Balaguer Expressway and the major thoroughfares in the East and South, what you see are gaggles of racers or excursions of health groups out for training or sight-seeing.

HB

Aug 19, 2004
Generally speaking, the only people you see riding bicycles in the city are Haitians who have yet to move up to a motorcycle. On the highways, especially the Duarte and Joaquin Balaguer Expressway and the major thoroughfares in the East and South, what you see are gaggles of racers or excursions of health groups out for training or sight-seeing.

HB

So ..

I wouldn't recommend cycling on an Expressway anywhere. But cycling is a viable alternative mode in many countires - Santo Domingo is relatively flat - perfect terrain. Cheap means of transport - perfect for students. What you would need are segregated tracks + suitable storage facilities + an education/publicity campaign.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eZbBWbeEow?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eZbBWbeEow?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/10bdw47XFrw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/10bdw47XFrw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After The Opening Ceremony,They All Got Into Their New "Yipettas" And Went To ..

Vesuvio's for dinner,ON US!

Pathetic!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
ExxonMobil ordered to make Montana pipeline ****more safe****
One would think that a news site like CNN would have a good source of US graduates on their editor's dept???
"more safe"????? Or "safer"!
l.jpg
So much so for DR education to be "poor" huh!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Leave us alone with our multi billion pesos parking lots and concentrate more on you superb education system, which by the signs of a multi million company like CNN, needs to be "more" safe!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
education

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive

Who still writes in cursive?
That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.
Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which — like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon — is no longer needed.
But it might not mean the end of cursive entirely in the state. The directive from the state's Department of Education allows schools to decide for themselves whether to continue teaching cursive or disband the archaic practice altogether.
NewsFeed has just one question: How will Indiana's students know how to sign their name?

Read more: Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

Hence no pencil, pens, notebook or rulers...

TYPE! As in keyboards, as in laptops, as in CBTs...

And the DR is somehow ignorant to afford students online learning?!?

Think again! Just watch how the economic crunch in the US and Europe forces public education to drop teachers left and right!
Watch how one teacher behind a smart board and camera, imparts students across the nation their next subject lessons!

And the DR is somehow too poor and stupid to incorporate this into public education!?

Think again! What you did in school is obsolete! As wells as more than 60% of what you learned there for today's real world!

Watch and learn!

Like I said before, the next batch of teachers is carrying out training overseas in the best institutions money can buy...

Each year we send one more crew over and those that went earlier assist the new ones in assimilating into the training process...

The UASD will begin transforming into a park and walk university campus, unlike today. And as much as you hate to hear this: Just like the SD Metro, the new parking for the UASD will be the best money can buy for the occasion! Secured, clean, green and most important of all, modular for the future...

There's not one parking in the whole DR with the add-ons or offerings the new parking areas of the UASD will offer students and staff. None! For those hell bent in ridiculing the new parking areas, know one thing: Not even back home in your first world super power of a nation, you'll see this in a state funded university! That's for sure!

Students can park and be 100% at peace that their vehicles will be there, untouched as they left them when they return. With 24 hours armed security, security cameras, audio recording in all floors, security lights, back ups, quake and floods proof, in facility amnesties, car trouble assistance, etc...

Yes! You can surely and 100% built a cheaper parking lot than this one with half the cash, but sure like hell ain't going to be anything close to this! Just like the SD Metro system is a Rolls Royce compared to the NYC subway system that would stand like a model T ford 1900's...

By the time the UASD sees all the stuff it's now getting built, what was there will be only history!

Just like the DR is stamping out Credit Card and ATM scams and frauds, so too we'll change the education system from the top-down here!

The E-money is not far behind in all of this and take my word for it!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thanks for that "Brilliant" "SPIN" Mister "P"!
Everyone I know,who actually lives in the DR, NOT ATLANTA :disappoin
,loves the "over/under passes".I have stated here many times,"great return,on a relatively small investment. Not like that $10,000 a spot parking garage at the UASD university in SD! WHAT IDIOT PLANNED THAT? Actually he was pretty smart!$5,000 per spot,$5,000 for his ''Amigos"!
Please TRY and remember,this is "DR1"! I know it's hard for you,"up there" trying to talk like you live "HERE" but please try!:speechles

IMITATION,is the most sincere form of flattery!
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

CC;)

DRob's posts are "shovel ready". If I'm at Cedimat and want to go to Haina now I'll take "la Kennedy" with it's new "Elevados" and baja "la Luperon". Now if they can only build elevados on Luperon.

If Hipolito wins we'll get an explosion of brutos in Yipetas.

If 10 students cram into a carcaracha and park in the new "Parqueo de lujo" that lowers the cost per student to what... 80,000 pesos per student or about $2000 US? Amortize that over 5 years and the building will be falling apart and they can tear it down and build another one.

I love this place. :D

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
education

Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive

Who still writes in cursive?
That age-old writing method you might never have used since fourth grade will no longer be taught in Indiana schools come fall, thanks to a memo from school officials. Instead, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.
Seems like a smart move as being able to type efficiently is a vital skill in today's world, as opposed to knowing how to write cursive, which ? like being able to churn butter and knowing how to hitch a horse to a wagon ? is no longer needed.
But it might not mean the end of cursive entirely in the state. The directive from the state's Department of Education allows schools to decide for themselves whether to continue teaching cursive or disband the archaic practice altogether.
NewsFeed has just one question: How will Indiana's students know how to sign their name?

Read more: Typing Beats Scribbling: Indiana Schools Can Stop Teaching Cursive - TIME NewsFeed

Hence no pencil, pens, notebook or rulers...

TYPE! As in keyboards, as in laptops, as in CBTs...

And the DR is somehow ignorant to afford students online learning?!?

Think again! Just watch how the economic crunch in the US and Europe forces public education to drop teachers left and right!
Watch how one teacher behind a smart board and camera, imparts students across the nation their next subject lessons!

And the DR is somehow too poor and stupid to incorporate this into public education!?

Think again! What you did in school is obsolete! As wells as more than 60% of what you learned there for today's real world!

Watch and learn!

Like I said before, the next batch of teachers is carrying out training overseas in the best institutions money can buy...

Each year we send one more crew over and those that went earlier assist the new ones in assimilating into the training process...

The UASD will begin transforming into a park and walk university campus, unlike today. And as much as you hate to hear this: Just like the SD Metro, the new parking for the UASD will be the best money can buy for the occasion! Secured, clean, green and most important of all, modular for the future...

There's not one parking in the whole DR with the add-ons or offerings the new parking areas of the UASD will offer students and staff. None! For those hell bent in ridiculing the new parking areas, know one thing: Not even back home in your first world super power of a nation, you'll see this in a state funded university! That's for sure!

Students can park and be 100% at peace that their vehicles will be there, untouched as they left them when they return. With 24 hours armed security, security cameras, audio recording in all floors, security lights, back ups, quake and floods proof, in facility amnesties, car trouble assistance, etc...

Yes! You can surely and 100% built a cheaper parking lot than this one with half the cash, but sure like hell ain't going to be anything close to this! Just like the SD Metro system is a Rolls Royce compared to the NYC subway system that would stand like a model T ford 1900's...

By the time the UASD sees all the stuff it's now getting built, what was there will be only history!

Just like the DR is stamping out Credit Card and ATM scams and frauds, so too we'll change the education system from the top-down here!

The E-money is not far behind in all of this and take my word for it!

Will E-money arrive at the same time as 24/7 power for everyone?
And smart guns as well?

Aug 19, 2004
Leave us alone with our multi billion pesos parking lots and concentrate more on you superb education system, which by the signs of a multi million company like CNN, needs to be "more" safe!

If you want to read mangled English try Dominican Today.

... so too we'll change the education system from the top-down here!

OK - so the great plan was to give every school child a laptop and do away with all those troublesome schools. Why not apply the same logic to all those univerity students. Give them a lap top + the link to Wikipedia and instantly they know everything + they don't needd to visit UASD - so you can save on all those buildings and luxury car parks.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
FYI I had a meeting with a couple of Brazilians today working on a Brazilian government sponsored project looking at the issues of accessibility and social inclusion, to provide an appropriate transport system for cities similar to Santo Domingo. Interestingly they didn't consider building a multi-storey car park next to a university as an appropriate solution or even evidence of moving forward. They actually had the nerve to suggest that transport by bicycle should also be considered!

They must really HATE Dominicans!
You know why you rarely see Dominicans riding a Bicycle?
Because in the DR,"You Ride a Bike,You DIE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead::dead::dead:

So ..
I wouldn't recommend cycling on an Expressway anywhere. But cycling is a viable alternative mode in many countires - Santo Domingo is relatively flat - perfect terrain. Cheap means of transport - perfect for students. What you would need are segregated tracks + suitable storage facilities + an education/publicity campaign.

OMG...! riding a bicycle in santo domingo as a means of daily public transportation through the high traffic/population areas is the worst idea ever.

I usually am only in the central city i venture out to los rios, and arroyo hondo every once in a while. I am a experienced motorcycle rider in the U.S. (in nyc) and i would never ride a motto or a bicyle in santo domingo's high traffic areas. This is one of those areas where culture over-rules practicality/logic. The roads are too jammed, and drivers are too agressive. They have to use amet at intersections because people dont respect traffic lights.

I don't understand how a car park for this facility is a case of moving forward. How many students at the university can afford to run a car to get to the university. A country that was moving forward would invest in a safe and reliable public transport system so your average student could afford to get to the university.

If you ever go through the USAD it is a huge parking lot. The streets are filled with parked cars. There arent just high school kids there going after high school(collegio) There is a big "commuter school" aspect to the school. many adults that go there part time after work and on weekends.

while there are more problems like teachers not showing up for class, or teachers showing up and leaving 10mins into the class. Parking, student safety, and safety of your property should also be addressed for students. Who wants to go to a school where you have to dodge cars when walking in between classes. You cant park you car and expect to come back with out dents, scratches, broken mirrors and windows. Pollution on campus. To be honest Ive been through the school at certain times and it feels just as bad as lincoln or gomez with the traffic.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Will E-money arrive at the same time as 24/7 power for everyone?
And smart guns as well?

24/7 power is inevitable! Smart guns are inevitable!

E-Money will only pause coming into use if the gov passes to the PRD, as this will erase their chances of building the new supra-millionaires club anew!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
OMG...! riding a bicycle in santo domingo as a means of daily public transportation through the high traffic/population areas is the worst idea ever.

I usually am only in the central city i venture out to los rios, and arroyo hondo every once in a while. I am a experienced motorcycle rider in the U.S. (in nyc) and i would never ride a motto or a bicyle in santo domingo's high traffic areas. This is one of those areas where culture over-rules practicality/logic. The roads are too jammed, and drivers are too agressive. They have to use amet at intersections because people dont respect traffic lights.

If you ever go through the USAD it is a huge parking lot. The streets are filled with parked cars. There arent just high school kids there going after high school(collegio) There is a big "commuter school" aspect to the school. many adults that go there part time after work and on weekends.

while there are more problems like teachers not showing up for class, or teachers showing up and leaving 10mins into the class. Parking, student safety, and safety of your property should also be addressed for students. Who wants to go to a school where you have to dodge cars when walking in between classes. You cant park you car and expect to come back with out dents, scratches, broken mirrors and windows. Pollution on campus. To be honest Ive been through the school at certain times and it feels just as bad as lincoln or gomez with the traffic.

You're trying to talk sense to two people that, in the lifetime, have yet to step one foot in the UASD campus!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Note To Anyone Reading Posts On DR1,...................

Dominicans will not and can not accept being criticized!
They can only respond in one,or more,of the following ways;
1. You are a liar!
2.It's not my fault!
3.It's worse everywhere else!
4.You are STILL a liar!
5.It's STILL not my fault!
6.It's STILL worse everywhere else!.. they usually use the USA as their,"Bad EXAMPLE" The place where they all are dying to live,literally! Can you say,"YOLA"????

If all the above doesn't convince you,they just post"PRETTY PICTURES"!:rolleyes:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC