uber arrives to puerto plata?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Well I hope it has the same effect as it has had in Santo Domingo. I used to have a car, and now I use Uber instead because it works out cheaper and I really enjoy meeting and chatting to the drivers. Mostly these are people who have a job doing something else and are just doing Uber to earn some extra money, as well as students and people who are between jobs. Generally way more intelligent than your average taxi driver. The cars are always good quality, air conditioned, and you never wait more than 5 minutes for one to arrive. It's also safer because you don't have to park and walk to where you're going.

It's amazing that the taxi mafia have accepted Uber in the capital, I think because it is so anonymous - none of the cars have logos - and such a powerful company. I was in IKEA the other day and no less than 7 Ubers came in one after the other, while the official, expensive, taxi guy just sat there calling out Taxi Taxi Taxi. In the capital they also have motorbikes and Uber XL for larger groups or people like me who do a lot of shopping.

I think that nobody here has worked out that Uber's ambition is to be a public transport provider - I don't think it will be long before they start operating buses and then the fun will really start.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I use uber almost every day in Santiago.. my car parked beside the house in its little guarded space....if some body was going to stop uber, it would have already happened, like in the biggest city, with the most taxis..S.D....yes the future is here in transportation........Doc.......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't wait. I have had more than enough of hearing how hungry someone's kids are when I tender fair compensation and they want more...they always want more it seems. Especially the drivers with 3 or more phones sitting to the dash.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I've spoken to quite a few of the "official, expensive taxi guys" who sit at their station shouting "Taxi Taxi Taxi" and I believe they are their own worst enemy. They'd rather sit all day waiting to make one big fare, and not make several short trips(smaller fares)instead, because of fuel costs and lost time if they get stuck in the SD traffic congestion. They criticize the Uber drivers for being cheaper and don't perceive them as a threat, yet. They're not concerned when Uber makes five pick ups/drops in front of them in 15 minutes. I'm sure it makes sense to them.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
One important point with the Uber model is that the drivers are rarely riding empty. The guy who shouts Taxi Taxi Taxi and charges twice as much has to take you somewhere then come back empty to his pick-up point. The Uber guy drops you and normally has a new fare in the next few minutes. So even though it's cheap they still make between RD$ 1000 and RD$ 2000 a day, after they have paid their costs.

A good tip for anyone using the service is always to pay by credit card (link one to your Uber account) not in cash. You arrive and just get out, and you pay an exact fare, not rounded up to the nearest 100 or 500 because nobody has any change. That's one of the best bits of Uber for me.

Jan 17, 2009
OMG.  I heard that too from Uber drivers in Santo Domingo.  Complaining how Uber does not pay enough, complaining they were doing so much more driving a cab, blah blah, non stop, the full 20 minutes.  I wanted to jump out of his car :)

I can't wait. I have had more than enough of hearing how hungry someone's kids are when I tender fair compensation and they want more...they always want more it seems. Especially the drivers with 3 or more phones sitting to the dash.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At least with Uber, we should be able to train the drivers to keep their mouths shut and their opinions to themselves. A negative review or posting how you had to get out and secure a different driver should have an immediate affect.

I'm new to Uber and am looking forward to seeing if this can make things easier and more convenient for me, not necessarily for the drivers.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I suggested to the taxi driver I use regularly for him to be an Uber driver when he's returning empty back to his spot. He looked at me as if I'd grown two horns, hooves and a third eye.??????

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I've spoken to quite a few of the "official, expensive taxi guys" who sit at their station shouting "Taxi Taxi Taxi" and I believe they are their own worst enemy. They'd rather sit all day waiting to make one big fare, and not make several short trips(smaller fares)instead, because of fuel costs and lost time if they get stuck in the SD traffic congestion. They criticize the Uber drivers for being cheaper and don't perceive them as a threat, yet. They're not concerned when Uber makes five pick ups/drops in front of them in 15 minutes. I'm sure it makes sense to them.

When I first moved to bella vista we used one guy at bella vista mall. Fair price, crappy van. One day he disappeared. I jumped in taxi and said el conde con catolica. We get there and driver says 400 pesos. I told him it was 200. He said I can't tell him what to charge. I said I can tell him he is an idiot and will lose a lot of moneyfor robbing 200 maldito pesos.

Have been in bella vista 3.5 years. Have not ridden with them since. Used to call taxi lino in front of them. Now i stand next to them whileordering uber as they yell taxi taxi atdisinterested potential customers. Four guys chatting for two hours waiting for a sucker. Meanwhile the uber driver drops off a fare at bodyshop and has me in car two minutes later.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One of these days... Still no cars listed as being available in the north this morning. I'm itching to go somewhere, anywhere just to see how it goes.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I just signed up with Uber.  I've never used them, but really happy to support them instead of those idiot taxi drivers.

I thought I'd sign myself up as a driver too.  I make regular journeys from Cabarete to the airport for work, so thought I might see if there is any demand.

On the driver's app, there was no available selection for Puerto Plata as a city, so I thought I would try with Santiago for the time being.  It asked me for a photo of my driver's license, which I uploaded, then it asked me for a "Permiso de circulacion"

What's one of those?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
What will the local transport Mafia do?

Broken windows, slashed tires, vehicle blockades, and beaten-up drivers when they go pickup a fare.

They'll also complain that they have an exclusive contract for pickups at the resorts. Whether that's true remains to be seen.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In Puerto Rico the taxi mafia has kept the Uber cars from going to the airport or hotels. Solution walk a block away then call for Uber to the location. Of course that won't work at the airport but eventually the taxi rip-off drivers will fade away. Took Uber from Ft Lauderdale to Miami Airport this AM for $41 on my way back to POP. I know I will have to take a rip off taxi in POP to my house

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Broken windows, slashed tires, vehicle blockades, and beaten-up drivers when they go pickup a fare.

They'll also complain that they have an exclusive contract for pickups at the resorts. Whether that's true remains to be seen.

Ah, just the normal stuff.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the difference between uber in SD/santiago and uber in PP is that here taxis rely much more heavily on tourist dollar. the same tourists who, back at home, use uber daily and are familiar with the app. and who now may be more tempted to use uber because it is easier than haggling with taxi drivers and it does not require any cash.

it kinds does sound like a trial before going all out and taking over PC, dominican tourist mecca.

i wish uber best of luck. they will need it :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Stupid question.
Say you use uber in another country, is the exchange rate stabbing you when it debits your foreign card, in pesos for trips in the dr ? ( if u see what i mean )

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
uber users i know used it all over the world without any issues so i assume the exchange rate is not bad.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Stupid question.
Say you use uber in another country, is the exchange rate stabbing you when it debits your foreign card, in pesos for trips in the dr ? ( if u see what i mean )

It depends on the Credit Card company or Bank. Some credit card charge a foreign transaction fee too for example.

I have used Uber in France, Dr, US and Brazil, and exchange rate or not, it comes out cheaper than regular taxis.