uber arrives to puerto plata?

FrankCastle

Banned
Sep 5, 2017
I posted on another chapter regarding Uber that the driver took us from Santo Domingo to Bavaro, and then gave me a phone number to reach him for our return trip because Uber was not functional in Bavaro. He told us that if asked, just say that we had a friend or family member picking us up. I've found this to be pretty common in areas that don't have the service setup yet.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
uber driver and a regular taxi driver got into a knife fight over gringo passengers:
http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=25351
so i guess it does work in PP after all.

North coast (PP - Cabarete) are amongst the worst in the country INHA, probably because they deal primarily with tourist and are used to gouging them. I love seeing their little mafia collapsing throughout the country.
Yes, I know there are exceptions and have used some in the past (but not more). I am usually driving but when I need transport to send a friend home I ALWAYS use Uber.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How would a taxi driver know an uber driver from joe blow on the street?

Just by seeing him around a lot.

The place where I rent my car sends the same guy to always pick me up at POP. A few months back one of the airport taxi mafioso got on his case accusing him of stealing their fares. So they get into a big shouting match Dominican style. I had just landed, I'm hot, I'm tired and wanted to get moving. I had to get in the middle of it and yell at my driver to get his rear end in gear or I was leaving without him.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just by seeing him around a lot.

The place where I rent my car sends the same guy to always pick me up at POP. A few months back one of the airport taxi mafioso got on his case accusing him of stealing their fares. So they get into a big shouting match Dominican style. I had just landed, I'm hot, I'm tired and wanted to get moving. I had to get in the middle of it and yell at my driver to get his rear end in gear or I was leaving without him.

I had the same experience of a cabbie yelling at a very polite young driver from the rent-a-car company. After I saw the kid was scared and the cabby wouldn't let him explain - I got in the face of the cabbie and although I didn't understand everything he had been shouting at the young man, he surely understood me clearly, and although I'm not young anymore I still had 50 'somewhat' fit pounds and 10" in height over the cabbie so he got my message.
You're right when your hot and just got off the back of the plane and cleared through the immigration make work stamp-party and then the baggage go-round - last thing you want to deal with is an over-aggressive hack driver. Bottom line if cab drivers were more reasonable with fares and not such vultures UBER wouldn't exist.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Big government would love to take Uber down, because it challenges the government's authority, circumvents their union/elitist partners and empowers the individual. Its a smorgasbord of nightmarish challenges to the powers that be.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As far as I am concerned, if I call for an uber car to pick me up, they should be able to pull up to the door of whatever hotel I'm requesting to be picked up from.

Now if Uber is encroaching on established taxi stands where traditional drivers wait patiently for a fare, that might be provocative but Uber doesn't need to do that as the app takes care of all requests. I'm not a fan of the traditional taxis and their gouge and screw pricing so will use uber whenever and wherever possible.

The syndicos have had a monopoly since the 70's it would appear - adapt of perish.