Uber in Santo Domingo

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Never tried Uber.
Wish the service would offer the following to bring a new level of security to passengers:

- drivers are listed with photo and ratings.
- snapshots can be aired at boarding time.
- all details are available to police investigations if needed and everyone is aware of that.

This would considerably add to feeled security.

Alexander

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For those that never used Uber. The customer has an account on a Smartphone. He has to have data or internet access to even hail a car. Then the driver goes to the site of your phone by GPS.

How many Dominicans even have a Smartphone with data access on the street? This will NEVER happen.

One more thing. You cannot pay with cash. They charge your card on your account.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........How many Dominicans even have a Smartphone with data access on the street? This will NEVER happen....................

Can't speak for the entire country but in Santo Domingo Centro plenty, and I mean plenty of people have smartphones with data access.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
How many Dominicans even have a Smartphone with data access on the street? This will NEVER happen.

I'm Dominican and I have a phone with a data plan. My siblings, my mother and many of my friends do as well.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
just wait till it gets here..then the fun will start. deportee types will have a field day.

...and how many issues have we heard pertaining to guguas and taxi publicos?

Remember the 40% rule - then you'll never be surprised.

I'm all for any service offering that provides the paying public more choice. I'm all for any public offering that provides the opportunity for those with a need to provide good service to the paying public and be fairly compensated for their effort. Like everything else here, we just have to wait and see how the idea unfolds.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I'm Dominican and I have a phone with a data plan. My siblings, my mother and many of my friends do as well.

But what about the GPS in this country? The car will have to go to exactly where the phone is by GPS.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
SKY,

GPS is a minimum requirement for both users and drivers. If you want to use a GPS dependent service, then you need to get a phone that has GPS. If you wish to drive for a GPS dependant transportation service, you too need a GPS receiver.

Thankfully the GPS system is maintained by those with the $$$ and technical resources to do so. It works reliably anywhere on the planet almost all of the time - damn those solar flares...

As for GPS directions, a small amount of common sense comes into play. The operator of a vehicle is expected to know a little about the area in which they operate. It's generally not a good form to drive through a river to get to a pickup location, a close by bridge across said river would be preferable.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can't speak for the entire country but in Santo Domingo Centro plenty, and I mean plenty of people have smartphones with data access.

I agree, I don't know anyone in the capital without both. Which is why it could work there. It would die a fast death where we live in the campo.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's probably safe to assume that Uber is not a factor in Smuckmagosh Ohio either. It's a service tailored to larger urban areas with a significant population that needs and uses public transportation on a regular basis. Uber would not be looking to compete with the guaguas or the motoconchos. They want the $50+ taxi turistico business in smaller centres and the the frequent cross town traffic in major cities such as SD. I don't see much of a future for Uber in La Vega.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing. Uber does not give drivers cars. They use their own vehicle.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
But what about the GPS in this country? The car will have to go to exactly where the phone is by GPS.

Why is that a problem? It works fine in every other market they are in. The GPS is no different for the DR :)