United Nations Seat for DR

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Perhaps Chavez can educate Leonel concerning his 9/11 theory when they meet today,

Not sure what you mean there--I hope you don't mean Chavez can "enlighten" Leonel with one of his conspiracy theories. In any case, even if Chavez has any truth to his ramblings, the US STILL has a whole lot to offer the DR.

Turns out LF might've just been going for the seat as a weapon of negotiation.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Perhaps Chavez can educate Leonel concerning his 9/11 theory when they meet today,

Just because George Bush has a stratigic relationship with the Saudi Arabian rulers doesn't mean he has to buy into their strict dictatorial ways ...

Sep 20, 2003
Just because George Bush has a stratigic relationship with the Saudi Arabian rulers doesn't mean he has to buy into their strict dictatorial ways ...

"Dictatorial ways"? You mean like the Saudi Government's terrible human rights record? Like the secret prisons the Saudis run where the "accused" are subject to torture? Where they have virtually no rights? Were they are tried without benefit of hearing the evidence against them? Where "evidence" gained from torture is admissable in court? Tried by special tribuna lwithout the benefit of a jury?

Yeah, your right aegap, G.W. Bush would never allow something like that to go on.

When it comes to "freedom", Chavez has got nothing on G.W. Bush.

LF should keep that in mind.

Jayou360

Feb 20, 2006
DR is NOT running against Venezuela

The Dominican Republic is running next year for the seat to be vacated by Peru, most likely against Costa Rica.

That race is not connected to this year's competition between Guatemala and Venezuela for the seat to be vacated by Argentina.

Some Dominican papers have been getting this wrong.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Dominican Republic is running next year for the seat to be vacated by Peru, most likely against Costa Rica.

That race is not connected to this year's competition between Guatemala and Venezuela for the seat to be vacated by Argentina.

Some Dominican papers have been getting this wrong.

As there seems to be a lot of confusion on this would you be kind enough to give us the source of your info. Thanks.

Jayou360

Feb 20, 2006
As there seems to be a lot of confusion on this would you be kind enough to give us the source of your info. Thanks.

Serex. I can also tell you that the DR is not on the October ballot that has been prepared for the General Assembly _ just Guatemala and Venezuela. Happy to be corrected, but those seem pretty conclusive to me.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Not sure if it was intended, but LF really did u this as a negotiation tool:

Venezuela expects DR support
According to Venezuelan Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, Francisco Belisario Landis, his country will be competing for a seat as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council with Guatemala, not the DR, for the 2007-2009 term. He expects to receive the support of the Dominican Republic. Belisario Landis explained that the Dominican government has asked for Venezuela's support in obtaining a set on the UNSC for the following term 2009-2011. Diario Libre reports that the diplomat made these comments at the Presidential Palace.
President Leonel Fernandez and Foreign Relations Minister Carlos Morales have been campaigning for the seat, and President Fernandez was at the UN General Assembly and in the Non-Alligned Movement Summit this month to lobby for support.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Smart politicos do this all the time. Scratch my back and I will do the same when the time comes.;)

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
The DR would make a fine compromise candidate for the UN Security Council seat since neither Guatemala nor Venezuela can achieve the votes necessary.
This won't happen of course but it would take Chavez out of the game and relieve discomfort of the Guat's being perceived as Bush's colonial plantation boy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
More Rounds

The DR would make a fine compromise candidate for the UN Security Council seat since neither Guatemala nor Venezuela can achieve the votes necessary.
This won't happen of course but it would take Chavez out of the game and relieve discomfort of the Guat's being perceived as Bush's colonial plantation boy.

Ten rounds is not a lot, has went up over a 100 before, give it some time
Takes more than 10 normally to get a new pope

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I read the "diablo was here" statement by Chavez at the UN has hurt Venezuela's chances. I guess Chavez thought calling Bush the devil was better than calling him a murderer.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Chavez may be correct in his assesment of Bush but he is divisive at a time when division is not productive.
I read that 150 voting sessions were needed when Cuba was in the running for the security council seat some years ago.
Given the polarized world political scene I think it would be easier to elect a Jewish pope than reach agreement up there in New York.
Bush and Chavez sort of deserve each other.
The DR represents a moderate view that would be refreshing and less polarized. Guatemala, I think, will wimp out to the US.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chavez may be correct in his assesment of Bush but he is divisive at a time when division is not productive.
I read that 150 voting sessions were needed when Cuba was in the running for the security council seat some years ago.
Given the polarized world political scene I think it would be easier to elect a Jewish pope than reach agreement up there in New York.
Bush and Chavez sort of deserve each other.
The DR represents a moderate view that would be refreshing and less polarized. Guatemala, I think, will wimp out to the US.

I agree. A third candidate may be the best diplomatic solution. But we must wait. Last I heard so far 22 votes and the status quo is the name of the game.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I agree. A third candidate may be the best diplomatic solution. But we must wait. Last I heard so far 22 votes and the status quo is the name of the game.

Wait, and don't count too much on the DR automatically being that third candidate. The interational media don't even mention the Dominican Republic. The BBC names Costa Rica, Panama and Uruguay as possible alernative candidates, CNN mentions Uruguay, Chile, Mexico or Costa Rica...

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
All Too True

Wait, and don't count too much on the DR automatically being that third candidate. The interational media don't even mention the Dominican Republic. The BBC names Costa Rica, Panama and Uruguay as possible alernative candidates, CNN mentions Uruguay, Chile, Mexico or Costa Rica...
All the usual suspects have been mentioned as alternate candidates for the seat. Curiously, the DR has not been mentioned yet it is a wonderful compromise candidate, IMHO.
The DR manages to have excellent relations with nearly every country it comes into contact with.
Maybe CNN and BBC can't find the place on their little maps.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Just in:

****CNN*****
Dominican Republic may vie for U.N. council post
POSTED: 12:17 p.m. EDT, October 26, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Venezuela has asked the Dominican Republic to consider nominating a candidate for a rotating seat on the U.N. Security Council, Dominican President Leonel Fernandez said Thursday.

Link:
Dominican Republic may vie for U.N. council post - CNN.com

I believe the DR can be a productive and impartial non-serving voice in the UN Security Council. One that would be far better than the murky US-Backed Guatemala or the revolutionary Venezuelan govt.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Looks Like DR it is

Both pertinent sides are warm to the idea:

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Latin America, torn between the influence of Venezuela and the United States over a deadlocked race for a U.N. Security Council seat, could be turning to one of the few possible candidates that has warm relations with both: the Dominican Republic.
The Caribbean nation promoted free trade with Washington while accepting a preferential oil deal from Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez -- Washington's most outspoken critic in the region. Now, it is now a contender to break a deadlock between Venezuela and its U.S.-backed rival, Guatemala, in the race for the rotating seat.

..Dominican President Leonel Fernandez said Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro called him on Thursday proposing a compromise Dominican candidacy, and that U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice did not dismiss the idea during an unscheduled meeting later in the day.

''I can at least put forward that there is no objection that the Dominican Republic could be a candidate,'' Fernandez told reporters after meeting Rice in Washington, where he had talks with President Bush on the Central American Free Trade Agreement.