Used Car Buying Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your description of the process tells me you know what you're doing.

You are offering pendejo insurance which is well worth a good percentage of money saved in the process.

thanks, Celt. pendejo insurance is a perfect term. these cats will eat you raw. lucky for me i have seen better than they can dish out, but if you are defenseless, then you are dead meat.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
beans, if you come to their country and open a decent restaurant, serving quality cuisine, you are taking cash out of every restaurant owner's pocket. if you can repair electronic equipment , you are taking money out of their pocket. by your reasoning, you should sit on your hands, do nothing, allow then to sell you crap food, screw up your appliances, and do nothing to better the condition.

I'm just sayn,

Be careful, they don't take kindly to honesty and doin things the right way......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm just sayn,

Be careful, they don't take kindly to honesty and doin things the right way......

beans, i appreciate your concern. i know exactly what you are saying. i usually just tell them that the buyer will be in touch with them later that day, then blow them off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am REALLY liking the new vegetable puree being offered up here...

I like it ..... excellent.

Will you come to my church next week ?

Beans, Beans.... good for the heart

The more you eat......

the more you like'em

By the poet with the big feet....... Longfellow....... or the aboriginal poet.... Joe LongCarrot

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Having successfully assisted a number of DR1 members, and others, in the purchases of used cars, i have decided to do it on a more frequent basis, if the demand exists. I have taken out an ad in the classifieds, so if anyone is experiencing apprehensions regarding the purchase of a used car, you might want to contact me.
I need some advice. I purchased a vehicle from a dealer in La Vega. I gave a downpayment and wired the rest of the money within 2 weeks. I am getting conflicting information from the dealership. My dominican friend stopped by the dealership for me since he lives in La Vega.

They told him I needed to pay 24000 pesos more to have the title transferred in my name. Then I had somebody else call the dealership and the rep says they gave that information to my friend in error. They realized after my buddy left the dealership that my vehicle was imported by the previous owner. Now Im told I can get all of the bill of sale papers, the insurance policy, and maybe the previous owners title. But I wont be able to get the title transferred in my name until 3 yrs has elasped of the car being here in the DR in the previous owners name. So it looks like I am stuck not having a title in my name for a car I paid for in full. Does any of this make sense or sound familiar? Is anyone here reading this other than the OP who has gone through something like this? My car buying experience in the states is, once I paid for the car, the title was released to me, and then I went to motor vehicles to transfer the title or the dealership did it for me.

It just floors me that the dealership did not inform me about the conditions I would face having to get the title for the vehicle I purchased , but transferred in my name.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Great idea.

No doubt, for legitimacy, you're duly incorporated, insured to protect yourself and the client, and collect and pay ITBIS & income taxes, correct?

And although a non-resident can invest and form a corporation, only a resident can work in that corporation. So you do have your residency, right?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I need some advice. I purchased a vehicle from a dealer in La Vega. I gave a downpayment and wired the rest of the money within 2 weeks. I am getting conflicting information from the dealership. My dominican friend stopped by the dealership for me since he lives in La Vega.

They told him I needed to pay 24000 pesos more to have the title transferred in my name. Then I had somebody else call the dealership and the rep says they gave that information to my friend in error. They realized after my buddy left the dealership that my vehicle was imported by the previous owner. Now Im told I can get all of the bill of sale papers, the insurance policy, and maybe the previous owners title. But I wont be able to get the title transferred in my name until 3 yrs has elasped of the car being here in the DR in the previous owners name. So it looks like I am stuck not having a title in my name for a car I paid for in full. Does any of this make sense or sound familiar? Is anyone here reading this other than the OP who has gone through something like this? My car buying experience in the states is, once I paid for the car, the title was released to me, and then I went to motor vehicles to transfer the title or the dealership did it for me.

It just floors me that the dealership did not inform me about the conditions I would face having to get the title for the vehicle I purchased , but transferred in my name.
Get your money back, and if they hesitate, get a lawyer.

Some cars cannot be sold for 5 years upon entry. Looks like that applies to the one you chose.

Jan 9, 2004

It's a good scheme and many Dominicans absolve themselves of it.

They use the returning Dominican exemption, or the political exemption/exoneration to pay no or low taxes on an imported vehicle. They then sell it to a dealer for a nice quick profit....and leave room for the dealer to also make a nice profit. The dealer, recognizing it cannot receive title finds someone who knows little of this....and sells it to him/her.

Another lesson learned....you cannot do business in the DR the same way it is done in other countries. If possible, get your money back and find another vehicle. No title for three years means you cannot legally sell the vehicle...unless you find another person who either does not care....or more likely, does not know.

Respectfully
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is easier to fly to the moon than get a large sum of money refunded in the DR. Get a lawyer and when he tells you no problem, you tell him OK when you get me the money I will pay your fee.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i wish i could help you, but that is not a service i offer. i stick to the more mundane things, like making sure the machine is in good condition. i am not equipped to protect you from Dominican skullduggery. nobody is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is easier to fly to the moon than get a large sum of money refunded in the DR. Get a lawyer and when he tells you no problem, you tell him OK when you get me the money I will pay your fee.

it is hard enough trying to get a small amount of money back. once the money gets into local hands, crazy glue takes over.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for your response. I need to get accurate info as it applies to my vehicle. Like when it entered the DR, and what is the correct information on when the vehicle can be transferred ( sold ) to another party? Is this a common practice with dealerships, but they dont inform potential buyers because it might ruin a sale?

Apparently the vehicle was sold to the dealership. So I would expect that the original owner signed the title over to the dealership? And then the dealer sold the car to me. I can live with being considered the owner of the vehicle as long as my bill of sale papers is proof I bought the car from the dealership. And legally not able to sell the car until a certain time as passed. Hopefully less than 5 yrs. My vehicle is relatively new, so I expect to have it for a while, unless something happens that prevents that. When I go to the dealership to get all the info I need and see what documents are there, then I can make a better decision on pursuing legal representation.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for your response. I need to get accurate info as it applies to my vehicle. Like when it entered the DR, and what is the correct information on when the vehicle can be transferred ( sold ) to another party? Is this a common practice with dealerships, but they dont inform potential buyers because it might ruin a sale?

Apparently the vehicle was sold to the dealership. So I would expect that the original owner signed the title over to the dealership? And then the dealer sold the car to me. I can live with being considered the owner of the vehicle as long as my bill of sale papers is proof I bought the car from the dealership. And legally not able to sell the car until a certain time as passed. Hopefully less than 5 yrs. My vehicle is relatively new, so I expect to have it for a while, unless something happens that prevents that. When I go to the dealership to get all the info I need and see what documents are there, then I can make a better decision on pursuing legal representation.

This is a wise decision. If you can live with it and no need to sell it for awhile do it. To hire lawyers and try to get your money back will take more time off of your life than the time it takes to be able to sell the car.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

This ain't Kansas, Bubba. You are a new, fresh microbe in the Petrie Dish with hostile bacteria.

You are relying on the honesty of a Dominican whom you do not know...for 3-5 years into the future.

They already sold you a car they KNEW couldn't be resold, and you want to trust them again?

Just NO.

No title=no ownership no matter how much paperwork you have.

Possible outcome if you proceed as you're considering: time is up, and some guy comes to your house with a PN agent & legitimate title and demands his car back because you stole it.

You think I'm kidding? Go ask a lawyer. BTW: family members are in the car dealer business.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is a wise decision. If you can live with it and no need to sell it for awhile do it. To hire lawyers and try to get your money back will take more time off of your life than the time it takes to be able to sell the car.
Bad, bad advice.

He stands to lose ALL his cash if he goes in that direction.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you can operate the vehicle without the matricula having been transferred to your name, and you can also sell it. it is not a really dire set of circumstances. if you have a copy of the matricula, a photocopy of the cedula of the prior owner, and a notarized bill of sale, there really is no major issue.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
you can operate the vehicle without the matricula having been transferred to your name, and you can also sell it.
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is incredibly BAD advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't even own a car. You've never bought one in the DR as far as I know.

You are offering HORRIBLE advice that could lose people THOUSANDS of $$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is incredibly BAD advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't even own a car. You've never bought one in the DR as far as I know.

You are offering HORRIBLE advice that could lose people THOUSANDS of $$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF do you think a title/matricula represents?????? A RECORD OF LEGAL OWNERSHIP!!!!!

Mike, I have bought and sold numerous cars and motorcycles in the last 6 years. In EACH case NO LEGAL TRANSFER COULD BE MADE WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL MATRICULA AND STATED OWNER SIGN-OFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.