Vaina

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Which leads to this: No more acoso escolar, intimidación u hostigamiento

Newspapers, radio, and TV in all of Latin America and Spain: Le hicieron 'bullying'

And here I thought it was just a Dominican thing.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Which leads to this: No more acoso escolar, intimidación u hostigamiento

Newspapers, radio, and TV in all of Latin America and Spain: Le hicieron 'bullying'

And here I thought it was just a Dominican thing.

El bullying has not made it to the RAE yet. I checked a few other popular bilingual dictionaries and one has it listed.

I think the English usage in Spanish derived from social media and even though the word exists in Spanish this is a classic example of the power of the internet. El acoso escolar is correct in Spanish. Depending on where in the Spanish-speaking world one is the correct term may be heard or el bullying which has spread rampantly via the internet.

Look at some of these options:

https://es.oxforddictionaries.com/traducir/ingles-espanol/bullying

This is a good topic for the A conversar thread.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
sanpedrogringo,

That's a lot of topics in one response but I understand what you are saying completely. To be simple the word vaina is classified as a 'sociolect' and that is the way I analyze the usage of the word. From some people I expect it and from others because of their level of education, profession, social class not so much. For me I put in the same category as many of the local Dominican words you hear. Good to know and understand but not necessarily to use. Choice of the speaker.

-MP.

Have a look at the various meanings of vaina as per Diccionario Reverso and this a very good bilingual dictionary BTW.

This is why I stated what I did in my post above and I stand by it. The usage is not as random as many say. It's the choice of the speaker and you can expect it to be used by certain speakers.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/vaina

-MP.

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
@Xavier. Do you refer to "la franela"?
That's the white cotton (hopefully :)) t-shirt you wear under your shirt.