Varying Degrees of Intolerance to Homosexuality - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is majority Catholic country, so what would one expect? As far as the immediate opinions that somehow Dominicans are "backwards" in this regard it depends on where you are "going".

Homomsexuals from what I've seen are tolerated in that as long as they don't provoke other people they may not have any problem. Unlike in the States where homosexuals actively pursue other men, homosexual or not, here that will get you in trouble real quick.

Fortunately for us "backward" Catholics, things won't be changing anytime soon. You can thank the DR's relationship with the Catholic Church, gracias a Dios.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
fortunately the dominican republic is nothing like salt lake city or the deep south of america

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
It is a well established fact (at least in my mind) that there is MUCH stronger intolerance to homosexuality in Caribbean cultures (DR included logically) in general than say, the US or other 'gay friendly Countries' (political correctness aside).
Topping the list (I would say) is Jamaica. But the Dominican Republic would probably not be too far behind. Logically I'm sure there are a considerable number of homosexuals living there (Jamaica), but I would imagine they would find a GREAT contrast in how society in general 'accepts' them in the US.
But I have not been able to figure exactly WHY there is such a difference.
In the US I have seen homosexual men walking together, holding hands even kissing in public places etc. I (somewhat ironically) have not seen as many Women doing the same. Its 'somewhat ironic' to me, because a lot of guys would probably not take much case with Women kissing each other. And although people in general (in the US) STILL react in a "I'm just going to pretend I don't see that, because if I look long enough it will make me uncomfortable" type of way, its growing number of people who are of the 'alternative lifestyle' camp and even 'pro-gay' (not professionally gay lol, but you know supporters of such. ie: pro-life vs. woman's right to abort etc)

In any big cities (Santo Domingo) you will normally always find a larger population of homosexuals - and yes they are quickly labeled 'pajaro' 'bugarrones' etc. But I would say there is more of an established intolerance in comparison to other places. My argument/question is NOT - "the US is more tolerant so thats better..." or "is it fair for homosexuals?...". No. I only want to know if anyone has any decent, relatively verifiable and reasonable viewpoints as to WHY the contrast is so great.
Does anyone have any points of view as to why??
Why do you think there is more intolerance in say DR, Jamaica and Caribbean culture in general??

Please Note:The question is NOT - "Is intolerance right or wrong?" or "Is homosexuality right or wrong?" etc. So feel free to excuse any notion to answer such questions.

I'm somewhat lost as to what the true purpose of your post is.

My point of view is that the many people in the DR in terms of this subject matter contradict themselves. I have heard people talk about supporting gay rights and in the same conversation make fun of gay people. So I dunno :ermm:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
fortunately the dominican republic is nothing like salt lake city or the deep south of america

I assume you mean Atlanta. At any rate, like I said homosexuals need to tread lightly here. Of course, in the tourist areas this may not be the case because there is an established sex industry unfortunately but outside of that it is definitely different.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i make fun of gay people.....some people should be made fun of no matter what their persuasion

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You need to spend some time in the cities of the deep south. I have. It's where I came from. Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, West Palm through Miami, Jacksonville, Charlottesville, multiple college towns and others are as liberal and progressive and "gay friendly" as about any place else.

Your stereotype is 30+ years old.

Mar 2, 2008
Chip, I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the "sex industry" in the tourist areas is geared toward those desiring heterosexual relations.

So unless you know otherwise, why would you assume there would a different bent in those areas?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the "sex industry" in the tourist areas is geared toward those desiring heterosexual relations.

So unless you know otherwise, why would you assume there would a different bent in those areas?

From what has been posted on this forum.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
well so far the intolerance is coming from expats - lets get the dominican view lol
You mean like the intolerance indicative with your Salt Lake City/Deep South comments?

Maybe we should solicit Dominican opinions of those also?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well i agree it was a sweeping statement I apologise to all mormans and people from the south

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
As for my Serbian origin, I am truly sorry that I could not participate in a Riot against the Gay Pride in Belgrade.
QUOTE]

You just lost any respect you had with a whole bunch of people on this forum.

Maybe I will see you at a Gay Pride vs Neo-Nazi riot some day?

I look forward to it.;)

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
people are asking some silly questions lately.

you really think you can come to a 3rd world, developing, die hard catholic, largely uneducated, uber machista country and ask "why are they homophobes?"

are you f*ckin serious? basic deduction skills fail alot of folks, i see. this is more about criticizing than inquiring, imo. the whys are all too clear.

you know what, though? we dont have gays being brutally murdered and beat up and bullied all the time like you see in the u.s. w all those kids hanging themselves over it.

for such a supposedly backwards country we have several VERY flamboyant gays on tv. in HS in POP i was friends w dozens of openly gay teenagers who studied w me. we roamed the halls freely. they got the occasional woop or laugh but in the DR who the heck doesnt? dominicans are super vocal about the most idiotic things.

theres a gay scene in POP---i know all of them, pretty much. and thats a "campo". :ermm:

santiago has an enormous gay scene as does Santo Domingo, in fact, people from all over the country are moving there to be w other gay people. i have seen a mass exodus from POP to there in the last 4-5 years.

anyway. yes, theres homophobia, but for how isolated, catholic and uneducated we supposedly are, we are actually incredibly tolerant.

i have seen open trannys and gays my whole life. the barrio guys are still friends w them. its not uncommon to see a gay or two amongst the "real men" just shootin the sh*t. real talk.

yup, they get stuff yelled at them and men are uber careful not to be mistaken for such but lets be real....hispanic men arent afraid to be fancy lol in a sense, theyre more open to their feminine sides than some, what w those tight lil shirts, arched brows, perfectly manicured nails and lined up beards,....doused in cologne and fancy shoes lol in the u.s. theyre called "metrosexual" and people question their sexuality. in latinamerica they are the norm--they are just men who take care of themselves.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
And this is how we do it in Belgrade, anti-gay rioters in Serbia:

<OBJECT height=385 width=480>
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Znp8kTGyRx0?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></OBJECT>

I have an uncle that thinks JUST LIKE YOU. Beat the living crap out of my cousin when he told his father he is gay. My cousin was in the ICU for 2 weeks. Makes you feel good doesn't it? Your machismo and all...

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010

Just chiming in - I would not say the sex industry is necessarily 'geared' in any one direction, its just that the majority of people who come ARE heterosexual. But the sex industry is rampant and diverse. I'm pretty sure if you are looking for it, you will find it.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I'm somewhat lost as to what the true purpose of your post is.

My point of view is that the many people in the DR in terms of this subject matter contradict themselves. I have heard people talk about supporting gay rights and in the same conversation make fun of gay people. So I dunno :ermm:

There is no 'true purpose' or hidden agenda. I simply would like know what other people feel is the reason for the difference. I dont know either...

Status
Not open for further replies.