Varying Degrees of Intolerance to Homosexuality - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
and sex tourism isnt primarily hetero anymore...no, its known amongst dominicans that most sankies are bugarrones, or so, they go the other way for pay. theres always been gay tourism--in POP, at least. it increased greatly during the 80's and has only gone up since then. its not uncommon or rare.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
You need to spend some time in the cities of the deep south. I have. It's where I came from. Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, West Palm through Miami, Jacksonville, Charlottesville, multiple college towns and others are as liberal and progressive and "gay friendly" as about any place else.

Your stereotype is 30+ years old.

It has been said that Atlanta is now the new 'gay capital'. It is definitely a LOT of homosexual people in Atlanta too, not sure what the attraction is.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
You don't see public displays of affection between straight couples in the DR either, so that's no indicator.

That's not true, when walking on the malecon especially on Sunday evening you see straight couples all the time.. go down to the rocks and I'm sure you'll see more.

Mar 2, 2008
I've done a search, Chip, and frankly I didn't find any mention of the tourist areas being more tolerant or intolerant of homosexuals, so please substantiate your statement or retract it.

We don't always agree on the issues, Chip, but I had thought that you try to keep your arguments based upon what you believed to be factual information, not simply relying on rumors, false perceptions and innuendos.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's not true, when walking on the malecon especially on Sunday evening you see straight couples all the time.. go down to the rocks and I'm sure you'll see more.
I've lived here for about 12 years after spending most of the previous 35 in Europe and let me say there is absolutely NO comparison. You do not see couples sharing a tongue sandwich in the street in broad daylight. At the most they will hold hands.

POPNYChic's post sums it up so well that I don't see any point in continuing with this discussion.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I may have lead in you in the wrong direction, I was just mentioning that in most larger cities you will see more homosexuals, and they are normally more 'tolerated' perhaps just because in a larger city people generally busier and more concerned with their daily affairs. There is no aggressive hate (that I have seen) but the Dominican Republic is more on the intolerant side of the spectrum.

There's more in larger cities because obviously there are more people. Santo Domingo to me seems to be very gay friendly. But I think what's important is that what's considered gay in the DR is different than in other countries it seems. SD has a lot of bugarones (Not sure if you know what that means.) Since I stay at the Duque when I'm there I run into them all the time.

I was talking to one of them and I asked him what's it's like to be gay in SD. He got mad and said he wasn't gay because he wasn't getting you know what. He was the one... inserting. So I think in DR it was almost perfectly accetable to still be considered straight as long as you are not.. penetrated. In the US the general consensus is that if someone sleeps with another man they are gay.

I think this is a very important factor in how being gay is perceived in DR. I can't spak for outside of SD and Boca Chica but I think overall as long as your not flaunting it in people's faces people are tolerant. There are plenty of gay clubs in Santo Domingo and I beleive they had had gay prides parades. That would never happen in Jamaica.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I've lived here for about 12 years after spending most of the previous 35 in Europe and let me say there is absolutely NO comparison. You do not see couples sharing a tongue sandwich in the street in broad daylight. At the most they will hold hands.

Do you live in Santo Domingo? Walk on the side of the malecon where the sea is and you will see couples making out. I'll be there in December, if you live there I'll buy you dinner at Adrian Tropical and we can watch together lol!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've done a search, Chip, and frankly I didn't find any mention of the tourist areas being more tolerant or intolerant of homosexuals, so please substantiate your statement or retract it.

We don't always agree on the issues, Chip, but I had thought that you try to keep your arguments based upon what you believed to be factual information, not simply relying on rumors, false perceptions and innuendos.

You are just showing your prejudice agianst my views or maybe your lack of understanding of how to use the internet because I did a Google search of DR1.com with only two words and a lot of hits came up. Heck, even people on this thread are confirming what I said. Here is an example, unfortunately:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/894349-post73.html

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you live in Santo Domingo? Walk on the side of the malecon where the sea is and you will see couples making out. I'll be there in December, if you live there I'll buy you dinner at Adrian Tropical and we can watch together lol!
I lived there for 10 years and I have also seen couples in places like the Malecon and on benches in Parque Mirador Sur, but it's not the norm, and definitely never seen in the middle of busy city streets and squares.

As I said - NO comparison.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I lived there for 10 years and I have also seen couples in places like the Malecon and on benches in Parque Mirador Sur, but it's not the norm, and definitely never seen in the middle of busy city streets and squares.

As I said - NO comparison.

I'll take your word for it- I'm just a tourist. I did see some couple's embracing but maybe it's not the norm.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dominican society isn't exactly a bastion of Political Correctness. I'm not so sure outsiders can force their "proper" views on how folks order culture here...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You are just showing your prejudice agianst my views or maybe your lack of understanding of how to use the internet because I did a Google search of DR1.com with only two words and a lot of hits came up. Heck, even people on this thread are confirming what I said. Here is an example, unfortunately:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/894349-post73.html
It seems clear enough to me. Almost every sankie thread contains a warning to the victim that her sankie may well - errm - cater for both markets. The conclusion being that there is a male-to-male sex industry in the DR tourist areas.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was talking to one of them and I asked him what's it's like to be gay in SD. He got mad and said he wasn't gay because he wasn't getting you know what. He was the one... inserting. So I think in DR it was almost perfectly accetable to still be considered straight as long as you are not.. penetrated. In the US the general consensus is that if someone sleeps with another man they are gay.

This is a bald face lie.

All I can say is homosexuals act like the do in the States outside the torurist areas here in the DR or worse try to come on to a regular guy they will be in trouble real quick.

Also, for all those who consider Dominican men "effeminate" because they obviously take more care in their appearance you know little about this society. Whereas in Europe and the States fashion has changed from men dressing up to men dressing like bums has been influenced by most mens complete abhorrence to be assumed to being homosexual, here in the DR and latin countries the homosexual culture isn't so accepted so men aren't so worried as being labled as homosexual for taking care of their appearance.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Dominican society isn't exactly a bastion of Political Correctness. I'm not so sure outsiders can force their "proper" views on how folks order culture here...

are you dominican? please dont speak for them, they can speak for themselves

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
are you dominican? please dont speak for them, they can speak for themselves

I've been married to a Dominican for 10 years and have been told that I look like a bum a million times and that a real man (read Dominican) takes care of his appearance.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
yup, they get stuff yelled at them and men are uber careful not to be mistaken for such but lets be real....hispanic men arent afraid to be fancy lol in a sense, theyre more open to their feminine sides than some, what w those tight lil shirts, arched brows, perfectly manicured nails and lined up beards,....doused in cologne and fancy shoes lol in the u.s. theyre called "metrosexual" and people question their sexuality. in latinamerica they are the norm--they are just men who take care of themselves.

Now that is true. lol@ arched brows and perfectly manicured nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.