Verde o Maduro

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
now i see those photos it suddenly occurred to me that dominican food tends to be dry as f**k. and void of flavour.

Then you need to try Puerto Rican cooking. We also use plantanos verdes alot.

Mofongo

mofongo.jpgmofongo2.jpg

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Pl?tanos are plantains - but I have never heard of anyone eating them raw, however ripe they get
Guineos are bananas and can be eaten green (boiled) or ripe (raw)

I also prefer green plantains fried (tostones and mofongo) rather than boiled/mashed.
Boiled green bananas are truly horrible.

. Platanos if u leave them hanging up in a bag, turn yellow, than blackish. U can than eat them raw, less sweet than guineos, but ok.
P.S. had 2 this morning and used the other 4 to bake a platano maduro/choclate chip crumble.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Then you need to try Puerto Rican cooking. We also use plantanos verdes alot.

Mofongo

View attachment 1660View attachment 1661

BB I had a version of Hachis Parmentier in Puerto Rico: One layer of mash plantains, one layer of ground meat, etc topped with cheese.

Oh, Mofongos are the best I have ever had.

OMG :)

Don't understand How PR cuisine blow the Dominican away in taste, variety and pretty everything much despite being so close.

Aug 6, 2006
Sancocho and quipes are good.

Empanadas can be good.

FRESHLY MADE and still warm pan de yuca (casabe) is great, and largely unobtainable.

boiled green bananas are slightly better than wet drywall, or stale library paste.

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
I like both verde and maduro. Not so much the boiled version

Also guineos/bananas

tostones, pastel?n, mofongo, mang?...

When dry add some red onion & vinegar saut?. Or just ketchup!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, they from Asia not Africa

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I for one like and eat both styles of Plantain. Verde is my favorite for tostones, mofongo w/ butter, garlic, and queso is wonderful. My favorite way to eat plantains is pasteles. I know it's a Puerto Rican food, but done a lot here as well. Either place, Pasteles are delicious. I do eat maduro too, but not the over ripe ones as the texture is icky after they are cooked. Maduro fried and served topped with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream is excellent!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Tostones are fine. The Colombianos make a large almost pancake sized Toston I cannot at the moment remember what it is called. I like them too, but mofongo is made from the droppings of some ruminant animal I am sure. Der Fish

Patac?n
Patac?nes (?plural?)

images
images

images
truck.jpg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pasteles with mature plantains are good. Just had exactly that for lunch today at Janet's in Cabarete before shopping there. They have a decent restaurant upstairs and you know where they get the ingredients from. It's actually a nice set up.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Puerto Ricans also make some great stuffed platano maduros!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

maduros.jpgmaduros2.jpg

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
If you ever go to Innwood in NYC there is a Dominican spot called Mama Sushi. They put maduro in the sushi and also make a mashed maduro. Very nice place if you like sushi Home | Mamasushi

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
BB pictures of Dog Turds are not allowed on DR1, and you are a Moderator?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

EVEN when they have shredded cheese on top!

Aug 6, 2006
One must not confuse mofongo which is made from innocent platanos, with mofongo, which is made from pig guts.

patac?n is indeed spelled with an accent, as it ends in n and is stressed on the last syllable, but the plural patacones surprisingly does not, as it is stressed on the penultimate syllable.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I love platano! Verde or maduro: mashed (boiled) fried, you name it! It's no different than the potato
when boiled, it's bland unless you add milk, cream, butter, etc to make it taste good.:)