Verde o Maduro

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The only time I eat green plantano is when I have stomach/intestinal problems. Yellow I like. I used to slice, boil and mash with a fork, but now I am preparing it like mashed potatoes with milk and butter and like it even better.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
not alot of sweet plantains at rest. /stands cook shacks or my friends houses...must not be as popular...or the dominicans cant wait long enough to eat them ripe...
i like tostones and sweet ones fried..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I love platano! Verde or maduro: mashed (boiled) fried, you name it! It's no different than the potato when boiled, it's bland unless you add milk, cream, butter, etc to make it taste good.:)

i think potatoes are great on their own, just with a bit of salt. in my house mashed potatoes were done without milk, cream or butter. here in DR i may add a bit of butter or crashed garlic but i do not like potato puree to be creamy. as for green boiled plantains i just smother them in mayo. i also eat yuca, batatas and buen pan. all are million times better than white rice.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
i think potatoes are great on their own, just with a bit of salt. in my house mashed potatoes were done without milk, cream or butter. here in DR i may add a bit of butter or crashed garlic but i do not like potato puree to be creamy. as for green boiled plantains i just smother them in mayo. i also eat yuca, batatas and buen pan. all are million times better than white rice.

Wow, I am surprised! You like green boiled plantains, with mayo of course.;) I have to give it a try.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I like tostones when they are fresh and hot and lightly salted. I eat them like French fries with ketchup. But they have to be cut just right. Not to thick, not too thin. And smashed half way through. Overall, much too much work for this lazy home cook. Strictly a restaurant item for this u.s. Based gringo. I have the sweet ones for breakfast. I find that el salvadorans have a more delicate touch with sweet plantains. Length wise. With crema.

I think I have developed a taste for plantains that have been on a boat for awhile.

Btw, most mofongo stinks. When done properly, it is delightful.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
PR does do tostones better than DR. They also do "stuffed tostones", big as empanadillas, but I don't know how.
They also make a fabulous PR'an gaspacho ? no tomato, but lots of bacalao and aguacate. Stupendous.
PR pig roasts and Christmas pierna also beat the DR.

That's it for PR cuisine. The rest suck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wow, I am surprised! You like green boiled plantains, with mayo of course.;) I have to give it a try.

you'd be surprised. i eat lots of dominican dishes most gringos refuse to touch :) apart from rice, dominican sweets and drinks. on monday i had cabeza de vaca and yes, some of the pieces of "meat" on my plate included tongue and a jaw with teeth in it :) i also eat liver, stomachs, chicken feet, longaniza, morcilla and mondongo.

as far as mayo goes - this is my weakness. i can eat it with almost anything.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Yep. Love it. I order sometimes a roll with mayo and the clerks always say "no ham or cheese with that"?

Hey, some order butter rolls, I like mayo rolls.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
you'd be surprised. i eat lots of dominican dishes most gringos refuse to touch :) apart from rice, dominican sweets and drinks. on monday i had cabeza de vaca and yes, some of the pieces of "meat" on my plate included tongue and a jaw with teeth in it :) i also eat liver, stomachs, chicken feet, longaniza, morcilla and mondongo.

LOL! dv8 when it comes to Dominican foods, you are Dominicanized! Yes, you are right, most gringos
would even refuse to look at those dishes!

One of my sisters eats tostones with mayo, as a dip.:)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
tostones (stuffed with shrimp): ;)

IP0312_Tostones_cup_lg.jpg

Stuffed with pork (pernil):

2nw31xx.jpg

Here are some tostonera cups maker:

tosrelllg.jpg

TostonesStuffedPicadillo1d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL! dv8 when it comes to Dominican foods, you are Dominicanized! Yes, you are right, most gringos would even refuse to look at those dishes!

once i was in a friend's house in a barrio, eating crabs. we were crushing them with a stone and then scooping the meat with boiled green plantains. she invited some of her friends over and one asked suspiciously: who is this gringa? gringos never eat that.

yet no rice. nope, no, sir. but i eat beans. and somehow eating beans alone annoys my MIL. it's been 8 years now that she always gives me a separate bowl for beans when we eat in her house. it's been 8 years now that i happily pour the beans directly on my plate and let them flood the food.