visa for canada...emj_08, process from start to finish

missrnb

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 26, 2009
I'll do the same with mine!!!

Let's see what kind of info he can get. As far, he has helped me a lot..

One time he said to me that Haiti asked for documents on dec. 4th.
that was untrue as the agent who's taking care of my file respond.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a question. Why are you calling if your husband has a date for an interview?

You cannot expect the secretaries to know everything about Immigration especially when it seems to work differently for every country. Heck there are no two applications that are the same coming from the DR.

I have something to say before I delete this. Do not screw it up for others who come along. Don't play games. You have your appointment so hang in there. What update would you need at this point?

MP's are to be used in desperate situations when one doesn't hear anything from Haiti.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
As I said, I knew he had the interview, but I had requested the update some time ago. I was kind of just checking in to see if they had received it, and what it said. I would understand if she said she couldn't tell me if I would be approved or not, just like the call centre, they can't say much and don't have access to everything, but I just resented the way I was treated, by someone who's salary I pay with my taxes, and it is their job to help me out. I was mostly disappointed since everyone else here seemed to get some help from their MP, and mine was condescending, misinformed, and never even did the work to get me the update. Sorry, not the MP, the secretaries.

How exactly did I screw it up for anyone else? I take this very seriously, and it is not a ''game'' to me. And why should it be deleted? I am asking for other people's experiences with their MPs.

Last edited:

missrnb

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 26, 2009
I did not said that I would challenged or screw up my MP, but just to know what kind of information he have now.

The information about the 4th of december was so wrong, I just want to know if he have any updates now.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
Yes, we were just looking for information. I was curious if anyone had good/bad experiences with their MPs. It would be good info for newbies to the forum. Missrnb, you and I didn't mess up anyone else's immigration case.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
member of parliament. everyone has one for the area they live in, you can simply google to find who represents you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My MP for when My wife did her immigration back in 1999 was more than helpful. His assistant was incredible.(Reform party) When my mother-in-law was doing hers in 2004-5, my then MP(NDP) was also very helpful so I've no complaints. The first time I phoned Haiti I got a woman that could only speak French, Fortunately I had a friend visting that was French and got all the info I required.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I told her she was hugely misinformed and hung up.

I can't believe how uneducated my MPs people were about immigration, and how unhelpful and rude they were. I hope they aren't passing on this misinformation to anyone else.

After reading this....you are calling HER rude?? I'm pretty sure this is what Anna meant about screwing it up for others. :tired:

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
I didn't HANG UP on her. I said thanks for your time, she said good luck, and we ended it. But it wasn't a fun conversation. Have a little faith people, I didn't tell her to shove it. I was diplomatic. AND even if I WAS rude, nobody else would be affected by that.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
Haiti asking for more documentation..Re Immigration Canada

I can't believe it. I proved to these people, without a doubt, that I was in the country for almost two years. Haiti just emailed me asking for permission from Dominican authorities to be in the country the whole time. I had a work visa when I went, but it expired, and I was working anyway. Everyone told me it was not necessary to renew it, as I could still work.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
EMJ

Do you have the receipt that the airport immigration people give you when you pay the tarifa for overstaying your visa?

When we just flew home they gave us a receipt with my name on it saying when i entered and exited the country and the tarifa i had to pay for overstaying the visa.

That wouldnt be proof you were allowed to be there but it would be proof that you were there and paid the fee for overstaying your work visa.

Sangria

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
They didn't give me a receipt when I payed it. Trust me, I thought of that. I just can't believe this is important at this point. I proved to them I was there, and I don't see how it has any bearing on my future with him in Canada.

I just got a letter from the Dominican Embassy here in Ottawa saying that overstaying the visa is no problem, and all you have to do is pay the penalty fee (which I did). So in that sense, I've covered my bases. I will send Haiti this letter.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
this might be a dumb question but did you send in photocopies of your passport entry & exit stamps...this will also help prove your time there.

i dont think has bearing on your future but it is probably to prove in a common law situation that you were really there for the required time.

i guess its just another hoop they want you to jump through!!! good luck!

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
thanks! yes the passport pages were sent with my husband when he went to the interview. as well as 7 testimonials from bosses and landlords and friends in DR (and even my family) confirming that I was there for all that time without coming back to Canada. not once. they are also asking for a contract and pay receipts from my job. come on! things aren't that structured down there. i met my boss, he said "work for me" and i said ok! he paid me everyday in cash, plus tips. and i already submitted, with my original application, a letter from him detailing my time there, my duties, my salary, and he even confirmed my relationship was genuine and continuing because he knew my husband very well. immigration is starting to ask for things they already have. ugh. so frustrating. either way, my boss is drafting up another letter saying we never had a signed contract or pay receipts, and that he never required me to have a visa to work for him. it was a lisenced business in the dr, so everything there was legal. i just can't believe this still isn't ending.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
thanks! yes the passport pages were sent with my husband when he went to the interview. as well as 7 testimonials from bosses and landlords and friends in DR (and even my family) confirming that I was there for all that time without coming back to Canada. not once. they are also asking for a contract and pay receipts from my job. come on! things aren't that structured down there. i met my boss, he said "work for me" and i said ok! he paid me everyday in cash, plus tips. and i already submitted, with my original application, a letter from him detailing my time there, my duties, my salary, and he even my confirmed my relationship was genuine and continuing because he knew husband very well.

You applied as common law correct? If thats the case you had to prove that you actually lived together for at least a year which by your statement you were together for 1 year and 9 months. Where did you live? Who did you pay the rent to? Can your landlord verify he was living with you during that time? Why weren't copies of your passports pages sent in with your application? Was any of the following included in your application?

Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:
  • you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)
You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of:
  • joint bank accounts or credit cards
  • joint ownership of a home
  • joint residential leases
  • joint rental receipts
  • joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone)
  • joint management of household expenses
  • proof of joint purchases, especially for household items or
  • mail addressed to either person or both people at the same address.
Taken from
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#common_law

It's not about if you worked with or without a work visa or even if you worked at all. It's about proving that you both lived together in the same place for at least a year.

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
I know all the definitions. I sent testimonials from two landlords (which included their contact info and cedula numbers), plus rent receipts in both our names, testimonial from my boss which stated all the details of my employment... I sent everything under the sun. I gave them ALL my passport pages that showed I never came back to Canada - that I was in DR for 1 yr 9 months straight. I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was there ALL that time, and that we qualify as common-law.

I know it's not so much about my job, and more about the relationship, and they have NOT asked for a single piece of proof of the relationship.

This is why I'm confused. Why are they concerned that my visa was expired, or pay receipts/contract from my boss? Who cares how much money I made while I was there? I did not collect any unemployment insurance or welfare from Canada while I was away. What if I had been rich and just wanted to go hang out and be lazy with my man? Would they care then?

With the original application I sent a letter from my boss that confirmed my employment details AND my relationship with my husband, since they knew each other well. This is just one hoop to jump through that I genuinely do not understand, and I feel they are digging to ridiculous depths to look for something wrong with our case. We are as legit as it gets and they are still yanking our chain. We showed proof of a joint bank account as well.

What next? Blood and stool and hair samples that show I consumed Dominican meat products for a period of one year? Do they want to analyze my toothbrush to be sure it was in contact with Dominican water?

I have been very understanding with the process, and I have provided them with everything they've asked for and more. I just feel this is a strange request from them... since I know the visa is irrelevant when it comes to CANADIAN immigration. If anything, having the visa to be there should have strengthened my case. That's more than most people have. All my ex-pat friends told me I wasted my time when I got it, and laughed at me when I wanted to renew it. Absolutely nobody had one, and they all had jobs just fine. Nobody was breaking the law.

Onece time I had a problem with my employer and I went to the Dominican Labour Board (secretaria de trabajo) to ask what my rights were, and they told me I had all the rights a Dominican person would have (ie vacation time, work hours, minimum wage, etc.) regardless of the fact that the visa was expired. They said as long as the business I worked for was legit. And it was. My boss had a Dominican business lisence. I even provided all of his business info to immigration with my application. I was VERY THOROUGH.

At the very least I have a letter from the Dominican embassy here in Ottawa stating that it's no problem by their laws that I overstayed... because I payed the penalty fee when I left.

Anyways, just thought I'd share this info, so others can get a good idea of how immigration is really stretching for reasons to prolong the cases.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
EMJ

Do you think it would be of any benefit to call the embassy and ask the woman what exactly it is she wants from you?

It doesnt matter if you had a visa or not if you have proved you were there. Whether you had a job or not shouldnt matter....unless they need the proof from that to verify something else in your application.

It might make things more personal if you talk with her and see what she is looking for.

I would just call and ask for some clarification...see what she says. At the very least you will establish a connection with her.

Sangria

emj_08

Feb 9, 2006
That's just what I was thinking - why should that matter?

I thought the office in Haiti didn't take phone calls. I've e-mailed her, but no response. Does anyone know how I can contact her? All I have is her name and e-mail address.