Watch out for parasites!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
what a bunch of panicy germaphobes...

Just use common sense people. Drink bottled water, avoid salad, be sure your cup and plate are dry before using them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You make a good point, arroyodmb,

The hands are a source of food contamination that drinking bottled or treated water, avoiding salads, and making sure your cup and plate are dry will not protect you from.

As you move around outside your resort complex, some of the bathrooms you make use of won't provide soap, and even the water might not be working (in many locations the central water authority shuts off service to different areas for varying lengths of time).

What my wife does when we are away from home and involved in activities where washing the hands might be important is to carry a small package of "baby wipes" that she has purchased in a farmacia or supermarket. These are intended to clean the bottom of a baby but work well on the hands when soap and water aren't available.

Anyone who plans to get out of the resort complex during their visit should consider carrying a small package of baby wipes or a tube of a cream or gel they can buy before leaving on their trip that is intended to clean the hands. (My wife carried a tube of this hand cleaner when we were in Venezuela.)

Taking precautions to keep yourself well during your stay in the DR is not being a "germaphobe". It is just a matter of identifying the main sources of infection/contamination then taking steps to protect yourself from them. You may still have problems--a risk anyone takes when they travel and have to accustom themselves to different food, water that has a different mineral content than what they are used to, etc. But you can go a long way to lessen the likelihood of becoming as sick as ms. mathilda was during her visit.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
shadley

I'm not sure what you are talking about in your post. Have you ever come down with a parasite? they are not fun!
I started this post to try to prevent others from getting these amoebas. I am not panicky or a germaphobe (whatever that means) as I'm sure others who have posted aren't as well.
i found this advice extremely helpful and wish i had known some of these things before I visited the DR again.

arroyodmb brought up some very good points. Sanitation practices are a lot different in the DR then in other places. Who knows I could have touched bacteria and started biting my finger nails to get the parasite. I did drink bottled water and did not eat salad. You just never know. Common sense is not the only way to prevent getting a parasite. Nobody wants to get sick!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You've performed a valuable service, ms. mathilda,

There have been a lot of posts advising people to bring latex condoms, etc., but very few on protecting yourself from the other health dangers you may be exposed to. Judging from the number of people who have already looked at this thread, it is a subject of interest to many.

The one thing that I disagree with you on is your final statement re common sense. It is the best way to prevent getting attacked by a parasite. But common sense is a whole lot more than "drinking bottled water, avoiding salad, and waiting until your cup and plate are dry."

Making sure your hands are clean before you touch anything likely to go in your mouth is common sense. If you know in advance that at least some of the bathrooms you will use outside your resort comlex won't have soap and may not have water, seems to me it is common sense that you will prepare yourself in advance.

If you know in advance that at least some of those same bathrooms will not have toilet paper, seems to me it is common sense to be prepared (when my wife and I travel away from home we each carry a small supply of toilet paper in a baggie for emergency use).

The value of the thread you started is that it provides a place to make people aware of some of the potential health-related situations they will find themselves in and to offer some suggestions on how to deal with them. Not putting your hand on a hot stove is common sense, but only if you have had a bad experience or have learned of the danger in some other way. Warning someone not to put their hand on a hot stove is not a sign that the warner has phobia about stoves.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
first, I have never stayed in a resort, always with friends and family.

second, some of the advice, especaily that of the original post was wise and appropriate for the location.

third, treating your purchased bottle is total over kill. So is carrying around little wipes to keep your dainty fingers from getting all icky.

All the people i know who have got sick, have either drank too much, been eating salad, drinking water from the tap, swimming in an unchlorinated pool. I am sure there are exceptions to this but in the 12 years and dozens of friends I know who have visited there, those are the 4 (yes FOUR) cases I know of where someone has got sick.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Again, thanks Ken for the excellent information and for your patience.

If nothing else, diarrhea (even if moderate) is common in the DR, so it makes sense to be careful with the food and water.

I also like to be able to clean my hands before eating or after visiting a filthy restroom. I carry individually wrapped towelettes (bought in the US of course), similar to the ones that were given with meals on airlines in the good old days.

I also carry individually wrapped toilet seat covers. Even if I don't plan to need one in a public restroom, a female companion will appreciate having them.

Another very useful item to carry, although it isn't health related, is an LED keychain flashlight. The triple combination of light, long battery life, and miniature size is great for coping with the power outages.

By the way, it is NOT necessary to take latex condoms to the DR. An excellent brand, Bareback, is sold there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
shadley000 said:
So is carrying around little wipes to keep your dainty fingers from getting all icky.

Glad to find we have such an expert in our midst, Shadley000. While I offer suggestions based on personal experience, you make pronouncements.

I don't carry wipes because I mind getting my hands dirty, I carry them because I don't like to eat a sandwich, etc., when my hands are "icky" from who knows what. Cave dwellers thought nothing of eating when their hands were filthy, but most of us have advanced beyond that stage. If you are accustomed to cleaning your hands after using the bathroom, or before eating, when you are home, why should you do othewise just because you are in the Dominican Republic?

If you have never found yourself in a bathroom without soap and/or water in the Dominican Republic, then your travels can't have taken you far from the homes of "friends and family."

BTW, the penalty for not cleaning your hands after using the bathroom can be a lot more severe than a parasite. There are also diseases like hepatitis to consider.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
ken,

you know nothing about me or my experiences in the DR.

Since you are such an expert, please continue to grace us with you germaphobic paranoia. Be sure not to touch the filthy natives when you visit. Keep your windows rolled up and your AC on. Spray everything with insecticide and never leave the AI.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Bottled Water

Anyone interested in the subject of purity of bottled water should do a google search for bottled water+purity. Eye opening info about the bottled water sold in the US. For starters, take a look at http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/nbw.asp

To Shadley000 (btw, what does the 000 stand for? your boiling point?),why do you make such ridiculous statements? I didn't pretend that I know about you or your experiences in the DR, I only stated that while I offer suggestions you make pronouncements.

Since you have raised the question of credentials, my wife and I have lived in the Dominican Republic since 1986, for many years in Samana and now in Sosua. We touch the "natives", our windows are always open for the breeze, we don't have AC, we make little use of insecticide (unless I see a cockroach), and I have never, ever stayed in an AI other than my home.

Sunny

Mar 27, 2002
Thank you Ken for your information. I lived in the Dominican Republic for many years and your advice makes a lot of sense. Travellers just aren't used to the different germs and need to take precautions. I would even use some of it for back packing trips here the good ole US of A!!!!!! I already carry a little bottle of antibacterial soap in my vehicle to use after walking my dog and picking up after him. There just isnt always a good water source everywhere one goes!!!
Anyways, I appreciate the info even if not everyone does! Why cant people just take what they like from these posts and leave the rest!!!!!!
Sunny

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I am not questioning your credentials.. I am questioning your paranoid germaphobic outlook on life.

Do you treat your bottled water in the US and Europe?

So your wife got sick 10 years ago. Now you live in terror of getting sick again. Being careful is one thing, but you sound pretty uptight. People like you are called obsessive compulsives.. Wont touch a door handle, wash their hands every 10 minutes, constantly worrying about dirt.

With that I am leaveing this thread....

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
shadley000 said:

All the people i know who have got sick, have either drank too much, been eating salad, drinking water from the tap, swimming in an unchlorinated pool. I am sure there are exceptions to this but in the 12 years and dozens of friends I know who have visited there, those are the 4 (yes FOUR) cases I know of where someone has got sick.

Chill out, Shad, you are ruining my nice-guy image of you.

Just because you have a stomach of steel doesn't mean we all do. I've gotten sick a bunch of times in the DR for a lot of reasons not mentioned above. Better to err on the safe side, being sick on vacation or anytime sucks, I know from lots of experience. Like my 21st bday this year, spent throwing up in the Metro in Paris, France. What a memory... I leave my mark whereever I go.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I said I wont post on this thread anymore, but that reminds me of throwing up in front of the eskimo exhibit in the smithsonian institute when I was 11. What a mess that was.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wiser is better

Can you believe this? I have actually learned something in this thread.

I have never heard of Purissima, nor individuallly wrapped toilet covers. Thanks.

There is one really great idea running thru a lot of the posts: Wash your freakin' hands befor eating anything. Doctors say that this will cut down on everything grom Hepititus to flu and colds. Most of the discomfort is caused by eating crap...Hand-to-mouth is the cause of typhoid, cholora, typhus and a host of others....Wash your hands...

I have the feeling that our ms. mathilda told us how she got sick: "...biting my fingernails." That will do it for intestinal parasites (worms) also...

HB
mutley-ani1.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From the Internet

Americans Washing Hands of Basic Hygiene
Only 2 in 3 clean up after using bathroom

By Edward Edelson
HealthSCOUT Reporter

MONDAY, Sept. 18 (HealthSCOUT) -- Shame on you, America. You're not washing your hands after you go to the bathroom.
This is not a joking matter, says Judy Daly, secretary of the American Society of Microbiology. Hand washing after doing the necessary in a bathroom is a simple, basic way to reduce the risk of an infection that can sicken you and even threaten your life.

"It is a serious issue because the infectious organisms we are seeing these days are becoming more and more resistant to treatment," Daly says. "With a little soap and water and friction, you can circumvent their spread from person to person and to yourself."

But a national survey that included telephone interviews of 1,021 adults and even had observers watching how 7,836 persons behaved in public restrooms in four cities found that a substantial portion of the population is not performing that basic protective measure.

A likely story

Overall, while 95 percent of those questioned swore that they always wash their hands after using a public restroom, only 67 percent do as they say, the survey found.

The reasons, says Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the hospitals infection program at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, are twofold. "One, people are not aware of how important it can be," she says, "and two, they are in a hurry."

There's also an unawareness of how bacteria and viruses are spread. Many people think the big problem is coughing and sneezing, but "most common infectious disease agents, including diarrhea-causing viruses, are spread on the hands of people," Gerberding says.

And the danger is growing, Daly says. "Our water supply is growing more dirty. Our food supply is growing more dirty," she says. "There is an increase in lots of infections, such as salmonella and shigella. All of the gastrointestinal pathogens are on the increase."

So the American Society for Microbiology and the CDC are running a Clean Hands Campaign. The campaign goes beyond the bathroom, recommending hand washing before and after handling food, before eating and after handling pets, and, of course, when coming in contact with a sick person.

Hand washing can be a money saver, Gerberding adds: "It is cheap, easy and effective. If you wash your hands, you don't need to resort to chemicals and antibiotics."

Last edited:

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
There are lots ways to get stomach upsets such as the difference in water, minerals oils, untreated swimming pools badly cooked food etc. I totally agree with this.

The information given by both the US and UK medical organisations is good information where ever one is, here or at home.

Another piece of advice, having dealt with poorly tourists recently. If a person does get ill, whether diarrhea or diarrhea and vomiting, it is best not to go over board with imodium or other type of treatment. If you have to go for a test of "stools" (that is a term for faeces) to see what has infected your alimentary tract and if you are all-bunged up this not an easy performance.

Regards bottles of water, I was once told by a local health inspector that they had been doing random spot checks on bottles from the various companies and sending the water in them to the states to be checked. Are they still doing this?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good point, arroyodmb. I've been told also that if a person comes down with a bad case of diarrhea it is best to go on a liquid diet (to prevent dehydration) and consult a doctor before attempting to put a stopper in with imodium. A stools sample may be needed to check for parasites; if bacteria is the cause, the delay will provide time for some of the "poison" to exit the system.

jlp

Jul 12, 2002
drinking water and ice

I know you should not drink the water, but what about the ice put in sodas, drinks, and blended up for margarita's and the such? In Mexico, they had good ice at the higher end hotels.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The ice cubes sold in bags are made of purified water. This is the ice used in tourist hotels and the bars & restaurants frequented by tourists. We use it and I have not heard of any illness linked to the ice. These bags of ice are widely available if you want to use them in your home or take one or more on an outing to the beach.

Some street vendors shave ice off a block. That ice is not safe.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think this thread has "run" on too long, and the topic "stinks". Some people get sick and some don't. The ones who do have "shit" for luck. haha
That was my attempt at a Criss "Colon"ism! :)