"Watchy" average pay

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
The watchman's house was built by the current owner, so he doesn't have any stake in that. It really is a bit of a **** show isn't it? Our own little DR mini-drama.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The watchman's house was built by the current owner, so he doesn't have any stake in that. It really is a bit of a **** show isn't it? Our own little DR mini-drama.

fear not; everyone has a little DR minidrama. some are just more mini than others.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
@ the OP:

I would get a good lawyer and negotiate a deal with the guys, you will have to pay anyway. At least you can create a situation where you are in control and don't have to worry any more and sleep well.
Then you can still re-employ them if you are happy with their work.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
@ the OP:

I would get a good lawyer and negotiate a deal with the guys, you will have to pay anyway. At least you can create a situation where you are in control and don't have to worry any more and sleep well.
Then you can still re-employ them if you are happy with their work.

as long as you are the foreigner, you are not in control of anything....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a good size piece of property too, and our caretaker/watchman has asked Mr. AE if he can build a small house at the rear of the property - the answer was a resounding NO. Sets up all sorts of potential legal issues in the future.

Very important to establish clear employer/employee relations, it comes naturally to Dominicans [to the OP, my husband is Dominican], but to Americans it's not so easy and clear cut. We tend to get too friendly, or are afraid to appear unfair or bossy.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
To the o.p
Lets look at this from a different direction. The person who actually owns the property wants to sell it. Your just renting with the option to buy. There's your real leverage, use the owner as the bad guy to settle this situation, after all he created it. If he doesn't want to help, start looking to buy somewhere else. The d.r. is a buyers market and a sellers nightmare. You hold the cards because the owner want your money. Create a list of things to be fixed by the owner or a list of new farms to look at.
Good luck

drescape24

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
As we have just verbally negotiated the contracts, with actual signing and final writing of said contracts still yet to happen, and no paying of employees by us as of yet, would it be advised to let current landowner continue to pay employees with money we give her, or make sure that liquidation of all previous benefits be written into their new contracts? Or something else entirely? Thanks again all!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have a good size piece of property too, and our caretaker/watchman has asked Mr. AE if he can build a small house at the rear of the property - the answer was a resounding NO. Sets up all sorts of potential legal issues in the future.

Very important to establish clear employer/employee relations, it comes naturally to Dominicans [to the OP, my husband is Dominican], but to Americans it's not so easy and clear cut. We tend to get too friendly, or are afraid to appear unfair or bossy.

you told him NO. AE? had it been me, and he asked me that, i would just have said

no speeky spanny

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm not an expert by any means but the fact that he is living on the property and has been for some time will be a pretty serious situation.
If I am not mistaken.....You may be subject to Domincan laws as they relate to "squatters' rights"...
Anyways, you will need the services of an expert, that is for sure.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you told him NO. AE? had it been me, and he asked me that, i would just have said

no speeky spanny

;) He didn't ask me, he asked 'El Patron' - Mr. AE. He never asks me anything. The maid only talks to me, rarely Mr. AE. And the watchman and the maid hate each other with a passion. Speaking of 'little DR mini-drama'.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As we have just verbally negotiated the contracts, with actual signing and final writing of said contracts still yet to happen, and no paying of employees by us as of yet, would it be advised to let current landowner continue to pay employees with money we give her, or make sure that liquidation of all previous benefits be written into their new contracts? Or something else entirely? Thanks again all!

Consult with a lawyer experienced in such matters. Visit the local labour office and ask them. You need to have the current landowner terminate the contracts and pay liquidation and decide whether you'll keep the old watchy or get someone new. Either way you need to ensure that you are not responsible for the payout. Sounds to me that the watchy and family already consider the place as their own.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
;) He didn't ask me, he asked 'El Patron' - Mr. AE. He never asks me anything. The maid only talks to me, rarely Mr. AE. And the watchman and the maid hate each other with a passion. Speaking of 'little DR mini-drama'.

you mean Mr AE said ;

no speeky spanny..?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
as long as you are the foreigner, you are not in control of anything....
That is incorrect, you can stay in control if you do things right, also as a foreigner!
As I said earlier, go and consult a good lawyer to help you to sort things out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Get Out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While you still can!!!
Look for another place, then move.
You are holding a "Blivit".
That's a military term for, "10 Pounds Of $hit, In A 5 Pound Bag"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are going to be screwed no matter what you do, Stay,Leave,Buy, doesn't matter!!!!
Leaving is your best of, some really bad options.
DR labor laws favor the workers, not the employers.
You are fast becoming the "Employer" of everyone working on, or for, the farm.
To bad "Newbees" always ask questions after, and not before, they get themselves involved wit The DR, and Dominicans.
"Cut & RUN"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for clearing up who built the house. Bob pretty much hit the nail on the head. Tell the current owner the watchy needs to have his liquidation paid, and moved out of the house before you sign anything.

You should receive a copy of the signed liquidation papers as a safeguard as well.

I'm not so sure I'd let another employee move into the house either.

it appears she has already signed a rental-to-buy contract. do you think the owner is going to take on all the attendant costs?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Get Out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While you still can!!!
Look for another place, then move.
You are holding a "Blivit".
That's a military term for, "10 Pounds Of $hit, In A 5 Pound Bag"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are going to be screwed no matter what you do, Stay,Leave,Buy, doesn't matter!!!!
Leaving is your best of, some really bad options.
DR labor laws favor the workers, not the employers.
You are fast becoming the "Employer" of everyone working on, or for, the farm.
To bad "Newbees" always ask questions after, and not before, they get themselves involved wit The DR, and Dominicans.
"Cut & RUN"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

next thing the OP will hear is that the entire generation of Don Watchy are employees, too.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well, difficult situation indeed. I know many of you wont be happy with this, but I dont think its very nice and fair to just get rid of the guy and the whole familly. They probably have children, they probably need that piece of land to survive... So just getting rid of the whole familly is not fair IMHO. I'm not trying to go into the locals vs gringos stuff.
I think the OP did not fix the situation before moving in and that was a mistake, and its not fair to just get rid of a familly.
So I guess if I was the OP I would try to talk to the guy and make sure everyone is happy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, difficult situation indeed. I know many of you wont be happy with this, but I dont think its very nice and fair to just get rid of the guy and the whole familly. They probably have children, they probably need that piece of land to survive... So just getting rid of the whole familly is not fair IMHO. I'm not trying to go into the locals vs gringos stuff.
I think the OP did not fix the situation before moving in and that was a mistake, and its not fair to just get rid of a familly.
So I guess if I was the OP I would try to talk to the guy and make sure everyone is happy

and what if the guy speaks hardball?