"Watchy" average pay

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
The OP stated the contract has not been signed.....I would find another property.......You risk becoming the "bad guy" with angry former tenants who seem to think the property is their own. Not a great position for a gringo. Listen to CC or you may regret it.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
it appears she has already signed a rental-to-buy contract. do you think the owner is going to take on all the attendant costs?

Yes, if he really wants to sell. How many people come to the D.R. to buy a farm. The seller should, provided he has half a brain, do what ever it takes within reason to close the deal.

drescape24

raquelbelle

Aug 8, 2013
This is all sooo useful, keep it coming! The Watchy does have another house in a neighboring town. He also has little farming operations in various places around the area.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I agree with some of the posts. If you feel uncomfortable now, how about after when you are the badguy. Wil you be happy living there ? Now you are just renting so you can still get out, but when you bought it, you will be stuck there with those people around you.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
As we have just verbally negotiated the contracts, with actual signing and final writing of said contracts still yet to happen, and no paying of employees by us as of yet, would it be advised to let current landowner continue to pay employees with money we give her, or make sure that liquidation of all previous benefits be written into their new contracts? Or something else entirely? Thanks again all!

You are lucky,
Get out while you can.
Why look and pay for problems?
Use this as a learning experience.
Having a farm in a rural area in the DR is very different from having one in the US.
Security is always a big concern!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are lucky,
Get out while you can.
Why look and pay for problems?
Use this as a learning experience.
Having a farm in a rural area in the DR is very different from having one in the US.
Security is always a big concern!

leave the joint under cover of darkness. you don't want to leave under the cover of a white sheet if this gets ugly.

there are some of us who are trying to give you advice based on what we have seen, and what we have been through, ourselves. do not let this whole 'such friendly people' nonsense get to you. when things get tough, then you see the kind of meanspiritedness that is the stuff of which legend is made. i have a buddy who had a girl from Nagua live with him for 7 months. things started going downhill, and she waited until he had to go to Santiago one day, and cleaned out the joint; 2 trucks. he lived in a gated community, and the gate security allowed her to leave with all his stuff. he went to the fiscal, who asked her to choose what she wanted, and gave him the leftovers. why? he is the gringo.

get out, while the getting is good.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree... Gringo vs local: who always wins?????
:)

i'm not sure. you will find out next time you are at the traffic light, waiting for it to change, and some buttwipe rear -ends you. if you are the gringo, you get to fix his old velocipede, and pay his medical bills.

As we have just verbally negotiated the contracts, with actual signing and final writing of said contracts still yet to happen, and no paying of employees by us as of yet, would it be advised to let current landowner continue to pay employees with money we give her, or make sure that liquidation of all previous benefits be written into their new contracts? Or something else entirely? Thanks again all!

OMG I would NOT BUY THIS PLACE!! If you have no written contracts GET OUT!!
I really do not see this ending well at all!
This is a SERIOUS problem! LISTEN TO CC!!!!!!!!!
It will be the biggest mistake of your life if you sign that contract no matter how much you may like the actual land!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is no way I would allow someone I did not like to be a watchman for me and my family. I would leave, it is not worth the headache. What was the agreement the owner had with this person? With him having a house on the land, I see a big problem in getting him to leave. But honestly if I did not like someone or was not comfortable with the situation there is NO way I would have this person as a watchman.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Without wishing to sound melodramatic, on
more than one occasion over the years here,disgruntled farm, and to be fair, city employees,have harmed, and WORSE, their employers.
Thing are fine, sometimes for many years, then the worker feels "Wronged" and goes "Dominican.
Dominicans are great friends, UNTIL, they stop getting what they want from you, THEN, you will see how fast the "so called friendship disappears!
When you first arrive, you will soon gain dozens of Dominican "Amigos".
They can't do enough for you.
They never ask for anything, THEN................
They DO!!!!!!!!
At first you say, "Si", and try to help them out.
THAT, is your first mistake!!!!!!
You can help out a Dominican "Amigo" 50 times, then at 51, you say "No Puedo", and "Bam"!!!!
You are all of a sudden a "Maldito Come Mierda"!!!!!
Only one faster way to lose a Dominican friend than to say "No"!
Loan them some money!!!!
Here is my advice to everyone , especially the new arrivals......
Just don't start!!!!!!
Dominicans always start "At The Top" when they go begging.
You are "The Top" by virtue of being a "Gringo".
They are used to hearing "No'!
They don't get mad, they just move on down their "Listado" of family members.
That is, ..If you just don't start saying "Si,Si,Si" all the F*#KING TIME!!!!!!!
It will be hard to say "No"! at first, but, "Stay Strong"!!!!!!!!
After all, you will still be in the "Dominicans are poor,humble creatures who ask for little, yet give a lot"!!!
Can I get a "BULL$HIT", please??????
You don't have to be an "Enabler" to be respected here!!!!!!!
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I Digress,
Leave that farm NOW!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife is also a "Dominicana".
That only helps!!
Dominicans KNOW how the "Game" is run!!!
My wife was the one who told ME!!!
They all KNOW!
Saying "NO'!
Is the first RULE!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Unless her husband is running "Game" on her that is???????

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Looks like the watchman comes with the house.:glasses:

It's going to be hard to get rid of him. :ermm:

Abandon ship while you can.:classic:

Last edited:

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
This is all sooo useful, keep it coming! The Watchy does have another house in a neighboring town. He also has little farming operations in various places around the area.

This guy is not stupid. Im sure he has picked up his other operations by squatting also. This has the potential to turn into a bad situation for you. I hope that you are picking up on the theme of what we are trying to tell you. Speak to an attorney before you sign anything.
Good luck

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I say the watch man has good things going. Does he pay rent for that house he lives in on your property ?

Does he sit infront of your house with a gun the entire night and when you are away.

Or does he just farm your land, free house on your property and stays up late drinking infront of it and makes some extra cash from it being a "watch man"

Alert may be when you find him tied up and you are robbed. But he actualy called his friends that your were away took your stuff and they tied him up as a cover ;)

I lived in a torre once in santiago, everynight after two de security is just sleeping or hanging out with the neighbours torre's securty. Allways having to wake them up to get in. Those lazy guys. They were good people though but so bad at their job.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
i'm not sure. you will find out next time you are at the traffic light, waiting for it to change, and some buttwipe rear -ends you. if you are the gringo, you get to fix his old velocipede, and pay his medical bills.

that was I meant, gringo always looses

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
to go back to the OP....You are stuck with severance pay regardless of what the contract says or not. Labor laws in this country are very strict. It is a tough situation. Unless you are making really good coin out of the deal, I would walk out of it. In the situation that is profitable enough, I would try to estabilish rules regarding the use of the land. I would make every employee sign papers agreeing to the terms and rules of employment. You have to be very diplomatic about it. Take it from an european with dominican mother, who is as sheysty and crafty as she could be. If any kind of scam has not been invented yet in the globe... believe me someone in the D.R. or China is working on it right now!! These country can put 007 and agent Bourne to shame with their mind games!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
to go back to the OP....You are stuck with severance pay regardless of what the contract says or not. Labor laws in this country are very strict. It is a tough situation. Unless you are making really good coin out of the deal, I would walk out of it. In the situation that is profitable enough, I would try to estabilish rules regarding the use of the land. I would make every employee sign papers agreeing to the terms and rules of employment. You have to be very diplomatic about it. Take it from an european with dominican mother, who is as sheysty and crafty as she could be. If any kind of scam has not been invented yet in the globe... believe me someone in the D.R. or China is working on it right now!! These country can put 007 and agent Bourne to shame with their mind games!!

there is an old caribbean saying;

trust no shadow after dark

the guy who coined it must have lived here. this is the ancestral home of the confidence man. see the guy who you tell your folks back home is your friend? well, that is the guy who is working overtime devising a scam to clean you out. i do not ever let anyone know where i live, unless i can really trust them. i do not accept rides from guys who offer to give me a lift home. i make excuses, and either walk , or take public transportation. you invite a guy to your house, you just give him an opportunity to case the joint and send his cousin to break in when you and he are having a beer somewhere else.

be very afraid...you are treading on slippery sod in this case. this can end real ugly, so, if i were you, i would bolt.