Wedding Ruined by Incompetence and Mismanagement at Jellyfish

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Planning a wedding is just plan Stressful PERIOD!! I know I am currently planning one, and a destination wedding is even more of a pain in the a$$....and again YES planning one in the DR...however I have signed agreements in place for date, location and times for the wedding.

~Whippet check with the resort that your guests are staying at, most offer wedding services, however if I calculated correctly you will be getting married in January and that is in the high tourist season and dates may be difficult to secure. Keep in mind that Dominican family members or wedding attentees NOT staying at the resort will be required to pay a day visitors pass for the day of the wedding. They typically cost about $60.00 PP depending on the resort...but can enjoy all the amenities that the resort guest enjoy....even the Cervesa and rummmmmm.....

~Take a deep breath and regroup....move forward with your head up and get it done...........then you can relax and enjoy YOUR WEDDING DAY five months from now...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Unfortunately not the first time I hear of problems with Jellyfish regarding weddings :( As Jrjth mentioned, January is right smack in the middle of high season which will make it an even bigger challenge unfortunately but if you book now, you might get a break. I have no idea how much they were quoting you but you might want to contact Playa Blanca manager Veroushka to see how it would compare. A bit further than Jellyfish but same beachy feeling and they could close it down for just your group...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Pulpo Cojo would be a nice choice. Right on the Ocean near the Palma Real Mall. Take a look there.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No offence, cobraboy but it wasn’t as simple as not paying a deposit.
Maybe not on YOUR end. There is another side to the story. You left out the deposit part from your initial post and a deposit is nearly THE most important item in securing meeting space.

Whippet said:
From our first meeting the agreement was the date would be ours providing we paid a deposit (yes I included it )... after the quote was given to us.
No deposit=no confirmed date.

Whippet said:
So in this case yes paying a deposit was relevant, but highly relevant is making sure you are able to pay the BIGGEST deposit.
Paying a deposit for future services is ALWAYS relevant, BIGGEST or not..

Whippet said:
Even though it is money that is the biggest thing in business, honesty, integrity and ethics should also always be part of business culture.
All true. However, I've always stated that if it weren't for customers and employees business would be easy.

Good luck. I hope you learned a lesson. Stuff a deposit into their hand Day 1 to confirm a date contingent on acceptable arrangements.

I'd have dumped them after they missed MY deadline for a concrete proposal. But that's just me.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Welcome to the DR

What did you really expect?
A 3rd world country with no backbone, among other things.....

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Pulpo Cojo is located on the beach in El Corticito just before the Carbela Resort just off dirt road on Ave Alemania....there is a large sign at the dirt road marking where to turn.....owner likes the local expats, tell him you are one, eat there alot and your marrying a Dominican and you may get a better price....owner is suppose to be pretty nice from what I hear....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Rant away OP, you have every right to. Who in his mind would pay a deposit without having the final quote in writing in hand. Stupid to do so in any country, stupid to do so here so you did the right thing not to pay anything before getting that quote.

Some of the business men here think they can get away with anything, well GOOD FOR YOU you did not fall for that trap.

I wish you all the best and luck and I am sure you will find another, far better place to have YOUR wedding day.

Acira

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Business men, huh?

I distinctly recall the OP referring to a "she."

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
What did you really expect?
A 3rd world country with no backbone, among other things.....

Completely agree. You described the situation, causes and facts in just one sentence ...
DR, a paradise, yes, but with strong collateral effects for those who want to live there, arrange any event, etc ...
Everything, the good, the bad and the worst is in the same pack!!!! ;)

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Looks like Im not the only one (from best wedding destination regarding Jellyfish):

Hello ladies!

I know this is a common complaint, but I have not heard anything from Mayte for about a month. I sent her an email asking her for a pre-invoice and information about the deposit. I know when she says the date is held it is, but the 2 brides on here with the same date has made me extra paranoid! :) Has anyone else heard from her lately? I just really want to put some type of deposit on the date to releave this stress...

Jen

WHAT A DISGRACE!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Not trying to rush you

but you only have 5 month to make yor dream come true

focus on a better place
start now

good luck
manu

VistaMar

Mar 16, 2011
Some of you keep stressing the importance of giving a deposit. Even if you had given a deposit this means nothing. They will screw you anyway with deposit or without.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Whippet, it sounds like that place was a disaster waiting to happen, be glad you found out now.

You'll find a wonderful place, think positively

AE

Nov 10, 2010
Recently our excitement about having a Caribbean wedding has been crushed due to a incompetent and cowardly manager at Jellyfish.

Previously Jellyfish has been one of our favourite places to have a special dinner (we even got engaged there), so naturally we thought it would be a great place also to hold the wedding.
On contacting management we started to discuss dates for the wedding and originally the date we wanted was taken, but after two weeks we were told that there has been a cancellation and this date is now available. We responded straight away and were confirmed that this date was ours.
We then had several meetings with the “manager” and discussed decoration, menu ect... all seemed to be fine with us continually told that “ don’t worry your date is confirmed I will get the final quote to you soon...”

After about 6 weeks and many excuses of why the quote has not been completed yet, we finally received it. All fine except the wrong date!
The reply when we question this was “well the original person who cancelled wanted this date again, so I gave you the Sunday night instead of the Saturday night”.

A disgrace! No apology, admitting that she stuffed up and double booked, nothing and to the expectation that after 2 months of being told that the date was ours we should just accept her change of date, pitiful.
And the real reason for us losing the date?? Maybe more money was offered for that date? And a little more commission for her?

We are now left in the position with a full guest list who have booked flights (some from Australia), accommodation and now only 5 months to scramble together another location all because one careless, spineless girl couldn’t do her job properly.

To be honest a woman when she is preparing to get married begins to adopt the "i'm a princess syndrome" or 'this day is all about me and everyone will be staring at me because i'm so beautiful' (warning don't invite any Dominican women, because you won't be the most beautiful there, but i digress! Further you should know your husband will be checking out the hot dominican waitresses whilst he's sitting next to you) Just to bring you down to earth, the world doesn't care about your wedding day... only you, your family and your fiancee do. So please i really think that this is about your belief that somehow "your day" is more special than anyones elses. maybe the other wedding party slipped her an extra $100 tough luck to you.

I should stress it is 'pitiful' to you.... it is only your opinion. Everyone has one of those. Women you are all the same, you totally think the world should stop for you on this the most special of special days when in fact marriage along with your inflated level of self-importance means nothing to anyone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To be honest a woman when she is preparing to get married begins to adopt the "i'm a princess syndrome" or 'this day is all about me and everyone will be staring at me because i'm so beautiful' (warning don't invite any Dominican women, because you won't be the most beautiful there, but i digress!) Just to bring you down to earth, the world doesn't care about your wedding day... only you, your family and your fiancee do. So please i really think that this is about your belief that somehow "your day" is more special than anyones elses. maybe the other wedding party slipped her an extra $100 tough luck to you.

I should stress it is 'pitiful' to you.... it is only your opinion. Everyone has one of those. Women you are all the same, you totally think the world should stop for you on this the most special of special days when in fact marriage along with your inflated level of self-importance means nothing to anyone.

Actually she could be the most beautiful female there, regardless of how many Dominican girls are there. She's allowed to sound off her frustrations, like anyone else. Wedding days are " special days " for those involved. Not sure why you would " care ", enough to post, after all it's not important.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's easy to answer Bob,some people( Like "I'm a freakinlooser) think everything should be about them!

Weddings ARE SPECIAL!
I,ve had two!
I would have more,but then you have to live together!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Some of you keep stressing the importance of giving a deposit. Even if you had given a deposit this means nothing. They will screw you anyway with deposit or without.

So you admit that this restaurant is obviously screwing its customers whenever it suits them best.
That's then number one on my list in that area which will not see me as a customer. Thank you.
To the OP : list your story on Trip Advisor, best way to let people know to avoid this restaurant in future.