West Indian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I think the term "West Indian" is loosely used, many people from Guyana consider themselves West Indians even though they are South Americans. My father is from Curacao and he never considered himself West Indian. I think its an english term used for inhabitants of english speaking carribean islands and since he didn't speak english, he didn't know the term or its meaning.

Sep 15, 2006
I have to disagree. The term West Indian did not originate from the Indian diaspora. I think that this is the "new meaning"...It's like saying "African-American" in that Caribbeans of Indian decent are acknowledging their Indian heritage, however long before Indians came to the Caribbean, the islands were known as the West Indies.

My family is of black and Irish descent from Antigua which did not have an Indian population until the last few decades but they consider themselves West Indian. Now in Antigua, lots of Indians and those of Indian descent from Guyana and Suriname have migrated to Antigua...

Many others may not know that once slavery was abolished in the islands in the 1830s the colonialists looked to India, China and other countries in which to bring indentured labour to the Caribbean...The islands were known as the West Indies long before that.

In fact most Indians do not understand the term West Indian - they think that means the western regions of India - like Goa!

That said, it doesn't mean that the meaning can't change to refer to the folks that have true Indian background.

Truth!, and to the people who clearly have Indian traits within the Caribbean, they really don't care. They certainly do not claim to be the originals or the "true" West Indians. Majority of the islands people are descendants of African slaves, some are mixed with the rapist(sorry) or it was voluntary(I'm also of Scottish and French decent),Arawaks, and the indentured servants from China and India and so on, as mentioned. Nonetheless, it is one love on the islands. We also refer to ourselves as Caribbean(from the isalands).If you're born there, regardless of your background or race, it doesnt matter. You're still a West Indian, all day, every day!

It is mainly about the culture. I am from Grenada, Granny's a Trini, and Daddy was born in Guyana and raised in Grenada as well. There aren't many differences between the three. Majority of the islands share the same West Indian culture. It may be slightly different but close enough in general. Including Curacao,Belize and Hati as well. You will ALWAYS see them on the Parkway(Eastern Pkway in Brooklyn for those who may not know) on Labor Day. Cuba , DR and Puerto Rico have a different culture and had different ruling(Non British).

Princessa~

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Truth!, and to the people who clearly have Indian traits within the Caribbean, they really don't care. They certainly do not claim to be the originals or the "true" West Indians. Majority of the islands people are descendants of African slaves, some are mixed with the rapist(sorry) or it was voluntary(I'm also of Scottish and French decent),Arawaks, and the indentured servants from China and India and so on, as mentioned. Nonetheless, it is one love on the islands. We also refer to ourselves as Caribbean(from the isalands).If you're born there, regardless of your background or race, it doesnt matter. You're still a West Indian, all day, every day!

It is mainly about the culture. I am from Grenada, Granny's a Trini, and Daddy was born in Guyana and raised in Grenada as well. There aren't many differences between the three. Majority of the islands share the same West Indian culture. It may be slightly different but close enough in general. Including Curacao,Belize and Hati as well. You will ALWAYS see them on the Parkway(Eastern Pkway in Brooklyn for those who may not know) on Labor Day. Cuba , DR and Puerto Rico have a different culture and had different ruling(Non British).

Princessa~
I agree currently it's a cultural relationship among former British colonies - swaying hips, music, food (cook-up, roti, curry, pepper pot, .... etc.).

Btw, you're not West Indian, you are United Nations :)

Sep 15, 2006
I agree currently it's a cultural relationship among former British colonies - swaying hips, music, food (cook-up, roti, curry, pepper pot, .... etc.).

Btw, you're not West Indian, you are United Nations :)

Holla at the cook -up and wukin' (working/whining) up the waiste line. LMAO, (UN)so I've been told many a times. Last labor day, on my car, I was repping all of my flags and was asked repeatedly about them. I've been influenced by all,lol. I'm just proud:cheeky:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
You know you're WI, if ....

Holla at the cook -up and wukin' (working/whining) up the waiste line ... to The Mighty Sparrow? LOL!!! . LMAO, (UN)so I've been told many a times. Last labor day, on my car, I was repping all of my flags and was asked repeatedly about them. I've been influenced by all,lol. I'm just proud:cheeky:
You call your parents Mommy and Daddy :laugh:

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
My family originates from Antigua, West Indies...I was always taught that the term was a misnomer. Christopher Columbus thought he had circled the world and was west of India. This name has stuck over the years. I believe the Spanish and French started calling the islands the Antilles, however, the former British colonies may have held on to the name in hopes of becoming an independant state from Britain...that would not have included the Dominican Republic.

Antigua, Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Kitts, The Bahamas etc. I'm not sure about Haiti. The only indigenous connection there might be is the fact that Christopher Columbus probably saw the brown indigenous people further solidifying his assumtion that he was in India?

OK. Let me put it in perspective. There is no word for West Indians in French. The word is "antillens" Neither is their an exact word for it in SPanish, but there is the use of "antillanos", and it refers to the same people in English we call West Indian (Notice we don't say Antillians). The West Indies was a misnomer, but one that was used to refer to Spanish colonies for a long time. Las indias, or las indias occidentales.

So the question is do you see yourself as a people apart from West Indians or, like Francophone "antillens" do you see yourself as a part of the West Indian/Antillano cultural diaspora?

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
No. Neither do Cubans or Puerto Ricans (at least I've never heard). I'd agree with Rocky in that the reason might be is because there aren't really any indigenous people but many Haitians consider themselves West Indian as well (and they too do not have indigenous). I just think that the reason why the Spanish-speaking caribbean identifies themselves more with the rest of Latin America than the rest of the caribbean.

In addition, there isn't really a spanish term for "west indian"...the term itself is in English so it's common for jamaicans, trinidarians, etc. So the only dominicans that would know of the term would be those who speak english.
What do we call Jamaicans, Trinis, etc? Antillanos. There is a term Spanish. So do you consider yourselves a part of that diaspora or apart from it?
I never said that they don't identify with the latino culture as well. You can belong to more than one sphere of influence. I am just asking if Dominicans see themselves as part of the antillano cultures with certain cultural traits in common with other islands and caribbean coastal nations.

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
West Indians is generally a term referring to Indian people from India, who relocated to the Carribean. For example, you will find that many people in Trinidad & Guyana who trace their roots back to India. There are lots of Indian people in St. Maarten, Jamaica, etc. Though I have yet to meet one in the DR!
No, it is not a term of East Indians living in the Caribbean. It is based on one of the names given to a region. Indias Occidentales/West Indies.
westindies.gif

Caribbean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spanish West Indies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Spanish West Indies (also known as "Las Antillas") consist of Cuba, Hispaniola (present-day Dominican Republic and Haiti), Puerto Rico, Jamaica (until the 1655) , the Cayman Islands, Trinidad (until 1797) and Bay Islands (until 1643).

The debate this question springs from:
Would you consider Puerto Ricans and Dominicans West Indians??? - IslandMix

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Of course, I'm just a gringo who moved to the Caribbean, so they call us people, "Luckies", but I am glad we got the West Indian thing straight.

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
That was the name given to original inhabitants.
There are none here in the DR.
One, it was not the name for the original inhabitants. And two, who says the original inhabitants, albeit mixed now, are not there?

Lynne Guitar said:

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: Dominican population and admixture
Dear Jaime,

Unfortunately, there was only a small preliminary mitochondrial DNA study done recently (three years ago), and it was really promising, showing similar results to those done in PR. Dr. Fernando Luna Calderon was going to do a more complete study, but he never got any funding for it, and then his health deteriorated. He died last December. One of Dr. Martinez Cruzado's graduate students in PR has been doing research work related to the DR, but he has not done taken any biological samples yet. I'm hoping that, one of these days, we can do some full-range DNA testing in the areas that appear to have the most residual indigenous heritage. mT DNA studies are too limited.

Wish I had better news for you!

--Abrazos fuertes
:YNNE

Baracutay12@aol.com said:

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 9:51 PM
Hello, Max Forte forwarded your email to me.
As for your inquiry, yes there have been two, although very limited, DNA studies done in the Dominican Republic.
The first were conducted by an Italian company along with the Late Dr. Luna Calderon. These studies were focused in the Barahona region. Of the 29 samples taken (all from people displaying mostly African heritage) 10 had Native American Mitochondrial DNA.

In the second, Professor Juan Martinez Cruzado of Puerto RIco took 196 samples and of these 33 percent had Native American MTDNA. What should be noted is that in previous studies in Puerto Rico where the population is 4 million people, 800 samples were taken and 61 percent of these were Indian. The DR has over 9 million people so a much higher representative number of samples must be obtianed before any conclusion can be made.
That said there are a few things that are clear though:
(1) the question as to whether or not there is Native descent in the DR has been answered and the answer is yes.
(2) The samples in the DR are Haplo groups A and C. The C haplo groups and types match the Puerto Rican C group. But the Haplo group A does not match the Puerto Rican A. This implies that the Haplo group A in the DR is from an older population that mixed with the arawakn speaking peoples that entered the region some 3 thousand years ago.

I took a Bio-geographical DNA test, one that gives percentages of mixture. I tested positive for all three, except that my Native American Markers were so high that it implied that my ancestors were "pure" up to 5 generations ago. Not bad for a supposedly extinct people!

I actually took the test three times because at first I was not at all covinced that sucha thing was possible.
On my first test which was called the 2.0 DNA print test My percentages were 29% Native American, 39% African and 32% Caucasian. It was this first test that confirmed for me what my grandmother always said about our families descent. SHe claimed that her grandmother and all the people of the place I come from in the DR were pure Indians. So since I had 29% Indian that means my mother would have pergaps twice as much and so on.
But then I took an updated version of the test, 2.5 , which goes deeper into the genome and this one revealed that I was 42 percent Indian.
One thing though. I think that as important as the tests are, they are also a bit misleading. I think that Identity is more about culture than genes. The reason why I have always identified with Native is because of the campesino culture which is very Native in the DR.
At the end of these test I am still as Indian as I was at birth. THe thing is does confirm however is that our history in the caribbean must be re-written. That the Taino became extinct 30 years after contact with teh Spanish is just about the biggest myth ever created and we in the caribbean bought that side of the story, hook line and sinker!

If you have any further questions please contact me at this email address.
Thank you
Jorge

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
My family originates from Antigua, West Indies...I was always taught that the term was a misnomer. Christopher Columbus thought he had circled the world and was west of India. This name has stuck over the years. I believe the Spanish and French started calling the islands the Antilles, however, the former British colonies may have held on to the name in hopes of becoming an independant state from Britain...that would not have included the Dominican Republic.

Antigua, Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Kitts, The Bahamas etc. I'm not sure about Haiti. The only indigenous connection there might be is the fact that Christopher Columbus probably saw the brown indigenous people further solidifying his assumtion that he was in India?
Are you cocolo in the DR then?

Sep 15, 2006

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Before the Europeans realized that the world consisted of more than Europe, Africa, and Asia, the islands off Southeast Asia were known as "The Indies".

Due to the confusion created by Columbus's belief that he was near Cipango when he arrived to the Caribbean (btw, Cipango was the old name for what today is Japan, in fact he actually believed the Cibao to be a local variation of the name Cipango.... my my). In any case, his arrival to the Caribbean lead the islands to be referred as "the Indies" as well, which in Spanish would be "las indias". However, to differentiate the "two" indies in the world, the term West Indies was applied to the islands of the Caribbean and East Indies applied to the tropical islands off the southasia landmass.

Such names of each two regions are Eurocentric terms given that from the European point of view, the Caribbean is towards the west and the pacific islands are towards the east.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding what Dominicans consider themselves in relation to the rest of the Caribbean islands.... it would have to be Hispanos.

The term "West Indian" was not used to denote native indigenous (Arawaks, Caribs, etc), but rather anyone who was born in the British West Indies. In fact, today the english speaking islands of the Caribbean are still referred to collectively as the British West Indies (also, the French speaking islands (except Haitit) are collectively referred as the French West Indies and there is as well the Netherland West Indies). Notice, however, there is no such thing as the Spanish West Indies. When ever the Spanish island nations are being referred, the term used is "the Spanish Caribbean".

It would make sense that the english speaking islands of the Caribbean would refer themselves as West Indians given the term British West Indies used to denote the english speaking caribbean.

However, there has been (and to a certain extent continues to this day) a distrust between the Spanish and the British. Such distrust spilled into their colonies, the Caribbean being ground zero outside of Europe for the feud to be practiced. The constant British raids on Spanish colonies and the greatest theft of all being the capture of Jamaica by the British and their attempts to capture Cuba and Santo Domingo simply re-inforced the anti-British sentiment that existed in the Spanish Caribbean.

Such distrust exist today, accentuated by the different languages and customs of the British islands vs the Spanish islands that would lead the Spanish islands to accentuate their cultures and identities with the other Spanish speaking nations of the hemisphere.

There also exist a distrust between the Spanish Caribbean and the French, the Dutch, you name it. However, the British were the most dispised.

A good example of this would be Sir Francis Drake. In the British West Indies he is considered to be a hero. Just go and ask a Dominican who knows his history to see what his opinion of Sir Francis Drake is.... it will not be favorable in any sense of the word.

BTW, there is an educational institution in the Caribbean known as the University of the West Indies (or something along those lines). They have campuses exclusively on several English speaking islands. Interesting, no?

-NALs

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
No they are not West Indian in terms of culture. If they were, PRicans's wouldn't have their own parade. They are obviously Caribbean because of location( especially since Jamaica is right there and we know they are WI'S) and I did see PR and Dominican flags at J' VEUT (JU-VEh , I forgot the spelling). However, when referring to West Indians, it is more about the culture than just the location. We're all Caribbean(all dem islands deh), but some of us are West Indians and some of us are Hispanic. It's not a big deal because we all still live on sexy islands. We all know that PR, DR and Cuba are of Spanish influences and are of a different culture. We have Hispanic/Latin culture, West Indian culture and even French culture in the Caribbean.We have so much to offer, lol. We too busy keeping it irie to give a d***. :p
So are you claiming all West Indian cultures celebrate with Parades? What about Venzuela and Paraguay. Are they West Indian because they have parades? And who says certain parts of the DR and PR don't have parades?

Salsassin

Sep 23, 2005
The term "West Indian" was not used to denote native indigenous (Arawaks, Caribs, etc), but rather anyone who was born in the British West Indies. In fact, today the english speaking islands of the Caribbean are still referred to collectively as the British West Indies (also, the French speaking islands (except Haitit) are collectively referred as the French West Indies and there is as well the Netherland West Indies). Notice, however, there is no such thing as the Spanish West Indies. When ever the Spanish island nations are being referred, the term used is "the Spanish Caribbean".

Spanish West Indies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spanish-west-indies - Google Search

Las Antillas o Indias Occidentales

Gobernantes pre-virreinales en Nueva España - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Indias Occidentales - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Amazon.com: Historia general de las Indias Occidentales y particular de la gobernaci?n de Chiapa y Guatemala (Biblioteca Porr?a): Books: Antonio de Remesal

Amazon.com: Antonio de Herrera, Historia general de las Indias Occidentales: Books: Henry Raup Wagner

Gonzalo Fern?ndez Pontes

CORNERSTONE OF ANY AMERICANA COLLECTION

Herrera Antonio de Descripci?n de las Indias Occidentales de Antonio de Herrera, cronista mayor de su magestad de las Indias y cronista de castilla. Madrid Nicolas Rodriguez 1726

4 volumes.folio. Third edition augmented and corrected.the work is organised in 8 works or decadas each one with a engraved frontispiece showing portraits and battle scenes.in the first book it is the Descripcion de las Indias with 14 double page maps that are exact copy of the maps published in 1601(this very rare first ed is the second atlas of the Americas after Wytfliet).This ed from Madrid was printed between 1726-30 and corrected by Andr?s Gonzalez Barcia. Vellum early XX c binding. Fine copy

This work is an encyclopedia in itself. herrera was appointed " Cronista" in 1596 and he managed information provided by the West Indies Council.Also other chronist supplied him with details and information published in the work.The Atlas with the maps are rare items for collectorsRef: Palau 114288, Medina II 455.

LANIC-Fundaci?n Tavera: Biblioteca Nacional (Espa?a)

Status
Not open for further replies.