What’s this, payback? British sanky?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Not so sure about the rich part..lol but in a way the story is rather sad. I do hope he finds his way back home.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
What an interesting unfold. I guess if he is as rich as the article stated, the young lady maybe crying her eyes out. The thing is people who really have money are not easily fooled. They have to be sure what they are getting into. No one in their right mind would just get up and spend or give their money away just like that. Mis s Soto like so many others dream to find a rich man that will just shower them with riches, so they can live an easy life. It is time some of us wake up and face reality. If Mr. Thomas is really a rich man, he worked hard for what he has, so he had to be sure that he would not be giving his money away. The way he put her to the test maybe for others was not the ideal way.

You'd be surprised how many rich guys lost their shirt because of some sweet popola, different from business here the little head takes over. ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So a scammer gets scammed by some rich guy posing as a mental nutcase.

There is all manner of poetic justice going around...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Love-struck British man becomes an accidental star in the Dominican Republic after flying out to meet his online girlfriend only to be rejected because 'he's too POOR'
Glyn Thomas Bailey is now stranded in Dominican Republic after being stood up
Wilfa Peguero got to know the Welshman after striking up relationship online
But when he arrived in the Caribbean island she realised he had no money
She therefore begged someone to take Mr Bailey off her hands in online video

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-stood-Dominican-Republic.html#ixzz513sYTLJI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was just a matter of time before it hit the British press. Odd that they didn't find a family member/neighbour/friend for a quote though.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
They are both fools, and deserve each other. He wanted booty, and she wanted looty. Ha,

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The man looks 68 not 46... poor guy. Obviously some mental health issues

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
I'm in the cotui area and this is something everyone is talking about lol. Can't believe the guy actually managed to get that far chapiando a Dominican haha.

It is so sad to see how the story of the british sanky is unfolding. No wonder he has mental problems. Imagine his own mother has turned her back on him. It does not matter what our children may turn out to be, we should still show love and understanding. Parents tend to dwell on the negative traits but should try to highlight the positive ones. There must be something good about this person he cannot be all bad. Yes, he may need some medical attention. His problems began from way back, but with a lot of work and encouragement he can still make something of himself. Imagine his mother saying she wished he has never been born. Poor man he was looking for love and understanding, instead he was once again rejected. Ok, he was very brave to come here knowing he had nothing. Many people come here and make something of themselves. Being white it would be easier for him to find a job. The lady should not have gone public like that. This only made his situation worse. I imagine that there is someone out there that would accept, love and care for him. He just has been looking in the wrong place. I am happy he is somewhere resting and trying to put himself back together. I wish him all the best .

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would think she is sincere. She wishes no harm on Bailey, and admits she was wrong.

Former UK Ambassador Anibal de Castro wrote an interesting opinion piece in Diario Libre a week ago. He draws parallels of how the Bailey was treated in the DR, versus how UK society would have dealt with a similar case. Here Bailey was taken by government ambulance for psychological testing. In the UK it would have been months for him to receive assistance.

https://www.diariolibre.com/cronologia/ver/****/anibal-de-castro

Senora Soto is just using the instruments at everyone's fingertips in this cyber world. She is being transparent and sharing her experience. Her family has suffered, her daughters have been made fun of in school. The media is doing the follow up.

What I don't understand is how the airline could have transported him here without a return ticket. I would think the UK Embassy could negotiate for them to return him to the UK without charge.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would think she is sincere. She wishes no harm on Bailey, and admits she was wrong.

Former UK Ambassador Anibal de Castro wrote an interesting opinion piece in Diario Libre a week ago. He draws parallels of how the Bailey was treated in the DR, versus how UK society would have dealt with a similar case. Here Bailey was taken by government ambulance for psychological testing. In the UK it would have been months for him to receive assistance.

https://www.diariolibre.com/cronologia/ver/****/anibal-de-castro

Senora Soto is just using the instruments at everyone's fingertips in this cyber world. She is being transparent and sharing her experience. Her family has suffered, her daughters have been made fun of in school. The media is doing the follow up.

What I don't understand is how the airline could have transported him here without a return ticket. I would think the UK Embassy could negotiate for them to return him to the UK without charge.

maybe the time has come for immigration to require visitors to produce a return ticket before allowing them landing rights..

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
I am tired of Wilfa Sota. Her main reason of befriending this man was to get someone to support her and her family. If he had come loaded as she had hopped, no one would have heard about them, instead she would have been happy that she hit the jack pot. Now he he is the bad guy. I am happy he is no longer with her, he deserves better. Her on line prostitution did not come to a happy ending.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am tired of Wilfa Sota. Her main reason of befriending this man was to get someone to support her and her family. If he had come loaded as she had hopped, no one would have heard about them, instead she would have been happy that she hit the jack pot. Now he he is the bad guy. I am happy he is no longer with her, he deserves better. Her on line prostitution did not come to a happy ending.

First time that's happened here I'd guess.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My understanding has always been (having worked in the airline industry) that the carrier who brought him here is responsible for his return. They allowed him to board and travel when he did not have the means to return. That is why there is that "rule" about having a return ticket that is not always enforced. But if I remember correctly the "return" would have been done if he was not allowed to enter the DR due to no means to return to his domicile. Since he was allowed in the country I think he is at the mercy of the UK Embassy or the kindness of others to return to the UK.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
What I don't understand is how the airline could have transported him here without a return ticket.
Because they don't verify whether you have a return ticket or not. In 15 years of going to RD (from various airports in Europe on various airlines) I have never been asked to show a return ticket. Not by the airline nor by Dominican immigration. They didn't ask when I actually had return tickets nor when I did not. I think airlines from the USA do actually enforce this rule since I've had friends of mine being denied boarding who then had to quickly buy a return ticket online, only to cancel it the next day once they actually arrived in RD.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've travelled to and from Spain at least once every year for the last 18 years and as my final destination is the DR the airline check-in staff often - although not always - ask to see my residencia.