what city/town should i live in ???

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
thank you all very much i am looking at all these towns san pedro intrest me a lot i have to check out this moca
kind of ironic in sanpedro lives 296,000 in iceland total 310,000 lol :)
but i am use to big citys like salvador in brazil,maceio so i know about the risks
i am not a cluless gringo :)

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Given the limited information the OP has given, I'd would say check out the general vicinity of Juan Dolio...Juan Dolio proper (near the big resorts) is quite touristy and expensive...but not all areas around/near JD are...Many working-class Dominicans live in that general area (for example Guayacanes)...Besides offering a decent beach, it is a great location, while retaining some rural characteristics...The centre of Santo Domingo is less than an hour away, the airport even closer, and going East, San Pedro is only a few kilometres away...So, there is plenty to do, whether Beach right there, around the resorts (for example the Costa Caribe disco is open to the paying public), in San Pedro or in SD...Punta Cana is less than 2 hrs away through the new road...
The www offers plenty of info about that area, including this site, and some specially devoted to JD.

el Limon is increasingly popular. Many Dominicans, few tourists and ex-pats. Beach about 2 miles from main town. Nightlife - Dominican. Excellent countryside and little pollution. Near to airport and direct bus to SD; about 3 hours. Near to Las Terrenas with European style supermarkets.

yapask1

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Given the limited information the OP has given, I'd would say check out the general vicinity of Juan Dolio...Juan Dolio proper (near the big resorts) is quite touristy and expensive...but not all areas around/near JD are...Many working-class Dominicans live in that general area (for example Guayacanes)...Besides offering a decent beach, it is a great location, while retaining some rural characteristics...The centre of Santo Domingo is less than an hour away, the airport even closer, and going East, San Pedro is only a few kilometres away...So, there is plenty to do, whether Beach right there, around the resorts (for example the Costa Caribe disco is open to the paying public), in San Pedro or in SD...Punta Cana is less than 2 hrs away through the new road...
The www offers plenty of info about that area, including this site, and some specially devoted to JD.

I agree. Juan Dolio also benefits from consistent electricity, water and relative tranquility. Proximity to Santo Domingo is a big plus... you can live on the beach and hit the city for dinner/clubbing and back home in 35 minutes.
Metro Country Club is best for security and utilities (though more expensive) with condos being built there
: Residences at Metro Country Club ? Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic :

You can rent apts on the beach and try it out....much better than being inland at some town, no cultural activity and away from it all.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Juan Dolio is NOT the same as SP

thank you all very much i am looking at all these towns san pedro intrest me a lot i have to check out this moca
kind of ironic in sanpedro lives 296,000 in iceland total 310,000 lol :)
but i am use to big citys like salvador in brazil,maceio so i know about the risks
i am not a cluless gringo :)
I think I am the only one to mention San Pedro.

Please, re-read carefully my post.

I do *NOT* recommend living in San Pedro...repeat NOT.

I DO recommend Juan Dolio.

San Pedro is about 10-15 KM east of JD (depending of course from where you are measuring).

So, Juan Dolio is relatively *NEAR* San Pedro (and it doesn't hurt JD that a moderately large town is nearby) but NO ONE should confuse living in JD with living is SP...they are worlds apart.

That is not to say that SP is the worst place on earth...I simply do NOT recommend it. Period.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Nice link here with names/populations of the major towns in the DR

Dominican Republic: Provinces, Major Cities & Towns - Statistics & Maps on City Population

And once you have a short list then I suggest you look at the profile reports for each area here

Oficina Nacional de Estad?stica (ONE) :: Perfiles Provinciales

For most people moving here the important things are cost of living including accommodation, access to quality health care, access to restaurants/supermarkets/cultural activities, the decision whether beach or mountains, transport facilities, education if you have kids, and levels of crime. The majority of that information is available on line.

Matilda

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
The spacious apartments range from 145m2 and 175m to 235m2.

littlebit more exspensive??
i am looking for a studio furnished apartment not 145m2 lol but thanks

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Nagua is an intriguing suggestion. Access to beautiful coastal scenery and fresh reasonably-priced seafood but far enough away from LT and SD.

Nagua is definitely not a tourist town and has some good things to offer along with some night life such as it's proximity to the beaches and very reasonable housing prices. I rented a little house there for 2000 pesos a month a couple years ago. Food is much cheaper than other North Coast cities near there such as Cabrera or Rio San Juan. Not sure why the other poster dissed it so bad, aren't there puta's everywhere more or less? Plus since it's a bigger city you have government offices there that can handle much of your important paperwork if need be.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Listen DonP, I know you da man on most topics- my hat goes off to you. But listen up, nightlife in Nagua is kickin. Parke central and the surrounding bars rock on the weekend. As far as putas, I did an authentic, academic study and the results were that LT has approximately one zillion more putas than Nagua. But hey, its all good !! K

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Listen DonP, I know you da man on most topics- my hat goes off to you. But listen up, nightlife in Nagua is kickin. Parke central and the surrounding bars rock on the weekend. As far as putas, I did an authentic, academic study and the results were that LT has approximately one zillion more putas than Nagua. But hey, its all good !! K

So true !!! Had a BLAST dancing in Nagua (lots of live bands with merengue tipico, love it). Most of LT nightlife is just a meat market for sankies to pick up gringo(a) with very mediocre music.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Mr. Iceland,

Hei p? dei! Snakke du Norske?

I live both in the DR and here in Norway. i know both countries extrememely well. I don't think you are going to like living in any inland areas of the DR. Unless you are Dominican, with family living in an inland community, i just don't see how you will find it interesting.

I don't think you will like the big cities unless you love the smell of exhaust, trash, and napalm in the morning. it's not conducive to a healthy lifestyle, appetitie, or sex life.

I think you will find the north coast more conducive to a healthy ?l drinking culture and a more healthy sex life. You should probably focus your attention on the north coast. Places like Sosua have a couple of Scandinavian bars where some Norwegians and Swedes hang out. I'm not saying you need to hang out there, i dont hang out there, but they're there just in case you want someone to talk to or get some good information from.

In the Summers i live and work here in Norway, but in the winters, i leave Norway and come back down to the north coast. I live in Cabarete and find that town more conducive to better teeth, hygiene, breath, sex, ?l og kvinner!

Frank

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nagua Kicking at Night

But listen up, nightlife in Nagua is kickin. Parke central and the surrounding bars rock on the weekend. As far as putas, I did an authentic, academic study and the results were that LT has approximately one zillion more putas than Nagua. But hey, its all good !! K

Allright, I stand corrected then.
I must admit that we usually go there during the week and at daytime. I have seen the bars around 'parque central' and just could not imagine that they come to life so much at night...
Guess, I have to do a study as well.... IF my wife lets me... :disappoin

donP

baby bori

May 18, 2010
For me Santiago has a more homely feel to it everything seems to be nearby. When I'm there I feel relaxed more at ease I plan on retiring there and renting if thats someone's choice is not too shabby.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I suggest you try Las Terrenas on the NE Coast of the Samana Peninsula. In LT there is a large European population, approx 3500 French, 1200 Italian, 300 German, also Swiss, Spain and other countries. You will find a wide range of rental properties and there is a night life and a tourist sector but this is real world living in the DR. Oh by the way the nicest beaches in the country are here. You are only 2 hours from Santo Domingo. Good luck.

LTSteve

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
...the nicest beaches in the country are here.
The "nicest beaches" chosen by whom? You?

Go first to playa Juanillo (by Cap Cana), then to (the original, authentic) playa Bavaro (where the huge multi-hotel Barcelo complex is in 'Punta Cana')...When you find one that can compete with either of those two, then start talking...Or you may start aiming lower, by trying to compete with Boca Chica, and if you cannot, don't bother trying to compete with the other two...much too high.

Then again, if you enjoy getting hit by 4-foot (1.2 meter) waves with enough force to drag you 10 meters into the sand and back 20 meters (65') into the water...every minute...you need not look to the above beaches...The Caribbean or Mona Canal beaches won't do it to you (unless there is a hurricane in the vicinity or something)...you need to go to the Atlantic for your back-and-forth dragging...and hope you'll survive long enough to enjoy your beating...to each its own.

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
You guys should try the city of Bani, Peravia mi hometown, it is close to the Capital only only 35 kilometers.
A beautiful city very clean and peaceful with a nice night life.
For people tha want invest we have Las Salinas De Puerto Hermoso as a tourist destination, the Beach Los Almendros
located to just 2 miles from the city it will be a nice choice to start a restaurant.

You see... In Bani people are eger to have a small hotel where people can go and spend the weekend away from stress,
I am sure if someone dares to start a small resort wont regret it because the Bani people are mostly bussines people and money is not an issue, plus almost everyone live in New York And Boston and often travel to the homeland.

Please pass it on

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Those beaches may be nice but do not come close to the beaches in Playa Coson, Playa Bonita, Playa Las Ballenas, Playa Ricon, Playa Valle ......You can take the beach at Bavaro and all the tourists and keep it for yourself

LTSteve