what city/town should i live in ???

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Those beaches may be nice but do not come close to the beaches in Playa Coson, Playa Bonita, Playa Las Ballenas, Playa Ricon, Playa Valle ......
If that is your PERSONAL assessment, fine...Just don't make it sound like it represents some sort of consensus...
You may also want to learn about what makes a beach a good one...the normal criteria used.

These criteria favour strongly the beaches I mentioned over anything Samana has to offer...
That is NOT to say that Samana is a bad destination in general...it does offer much...however, beaches is NOT one of its strengths...not that the Samana beaches are horrible... for example compared to some of the European 'beaches' (if you can call them such), Samana's are WAY ahead (some so-called 'beaches' in Europe don't even have SAND if you can believe it, and others have rocky 'sand'... no wonder the Europeans who have settled in Samana think Samana's beaches are great...yeah, great compared to what they are used)...The beaches I have mentioned are simply in another league...at least per the criteria normally used (having nearby mountains is NOT one such criterion, and neither is being remote or less visited by tourists).

zzbull

Oct 22, 2011
Hi I would like to recommend, San Jose de Ocoa. It is in the mountains. It is 20 minutes from Bani (which has the best Mangos) and 90 minutes from the capital. Nice little downtown and very clean streets. I used to spend most of my time in San JUan de Maguana which has a larger downtown but it also is very dirty. I find that many of the bigger cities in the DR have a lot of plastic trash on the streets. Also, there are very few , if any expats in Ocoa.

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
never been there before
i am taking spanish lessons
from this week i went to spanish 2
because i speak portuguese and its very similuar to spanish
i will be with 1000 a month and around 4-5000 in bank.

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
thanks for all reply?s
and i really liked nagua,cabarete and bani
are all of these not with much tourism
if somebody is living in these towns
can you tell me how it is
thank you

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Cabarete is a tourist town, and you will find it very hard to survive there on 1000 per month, it can be done but you will be eating at home all the time......Nagua and Bani are Dominican towns that do not rely on tourism to survive. With your budget, you should choose Nagua or Bani. I personally would go to Bani, but there is nothing wrong with Nagua.....

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Dear Hammerdown, there are enough people (foreigners), living in Cabarete from less than 800 us a month. they all have a great time with good parties. So don't know where u based your info on but it ain't right. Cabarete is mostly a surfer's town and people are very easy going, and I can advice everyone that loves surfing (especially Kite), to come live here with a budget of 800 bucks us if you're used to the life style of a surfer for example like in SE Asia and you are alone without any family members. Been in both places, and know if you live a budget lifestyle that you won't see any difference in those two regions

Cabarete is a tourist town, and you will find it very hard to survive there on 1000 per month, it can be done but you will be eating at home all the time......Nagua and Bani are Dominican towns that do not rely on tourism to survive. With your budget, you should choose Nagua or Bani. I personally would go to Bani, but there is nothing wrong with Nagua.....

icelandic

Nov 28, 2009
i am talking about 1000 a month
and also 4-5 k in the bank for
the trip 3-4 months
i am not renting at the center of santo domingo

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Dear Hammerdown, there are enough people (foreigners), living in Cabarete from less than 800 us a month. they all have a great time with good parties. So don't know where u based your info on but it ain't right. Cabarete is mostly a surfer's town and people are very easy going, and I can advice everyone that loves surfing (especially Kite), to come live here with a budget of 800 bucks us if you're used to the life style of a surfer for example like in SE Asia and you are alone without any family members. Been in both places, and know if you live a budget lifestyle that you won't see any difference in those two regions

Dear Dr Holy..... I guess 8.5yrs of selling and renting properties in Cabarete isn't enough experience for you, There is a lot more than just surfers in Caberete.....but I guess a guy that has lived here for a couple of months knows it all......typical....

Back to the op, if you don't want a tourist town, then your other choices of Nagua and Bani are a little better....and less expensive for rentals....let me know what your budget is and I can tell you whats available in that range.....

BenDe

Aug 4, 2012
Dear Dr Holy..... I guess 8.5yrs of selling and renting properties in Cabarete isn't enough experience for you, There is a lot more than just surfers in Caberete.....but I guess a guy that has lived here for a couple of months knows it all......typical....

What i think is typical is the real estate guy that always try to sell a house with a
minimum 15% more on top of what the real prices are. Most, not all, but most of the
real estate "agent" i met on the North coast(from PP to Cabrera) drives there big trucks
and go shoping at pricemart in Santiago every 2 weeks or so and have a rich american
lifestyle and spend over 2500$ a month for their living.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, it's just that some people want a more
basic life and do not need all the fancy stuff many people have.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005

Where in this post did it say It couldn't be done...........????????????????

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It wasn't in that post, ut the other one, have you forgotten the other one already? SO easy to forget. As easy to forget as the guy who wanted you to rent out his apt for a mere 6000 pesos. Prolly

You will have to enlighten me on this rubbish you publish......I haven't the slightest idea as to what you are talking about....

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Dear Hammersdown

I'm not saying i know everything, i learn every day. But do you know that not everybody wants your lifestyle, with big houses and jeeps etc. Some people like to go back to basic and just want to have fun their own way. I know alot of surfers here that have a great time for less than 1000 us a month. And i tell you they party almost every day after surfing and do spend some money. Ok i get your posts , if you are used to your lifestyle (as a realtor or capitol investor) i understand that you come short with 1000 bucks, hey you prob only pay that kind of money for the payment of your 2 jeeps right. But please have respect for others that dont give something about these kind of things. I appreciated your post after where you give the poster an alternative, you ask him what his budget is and if you can maybe look for something for him. But prob you only got accomadations 1000 us and up so that won'work. I understand your point of view and havce respect for this, i hope you have this aswell for other people living on a other budget. And still 1000 us is like 4 times more than some of the other domicans that i know are bringing home.And they come nothing short ( besides a villa with oceanview and a big pool and a 2011 jeep).

Back to the op, if you don't want a tourist town, then your other choices of Nagua and Bani are a little better....and less expensive for rentals....let me know what your budget is and I can tell you whats available in that range.....