What Has Lionel Done thats been good?

ANTONIO RONDON

Aug 14, 2005
rellosk said:
I thought the law was rescinded and that's what allowed Hippo to run again.

Fore those Leonel supporters, it's more immediate (and helpful to his re-election) that his party picks up some seats in the 2006 congressional elections.
IF THE PRD WINS THE FALLOING ELECTION IT WILL BE
ANOTHER STEP BACK TO THE PAST. HUNGER AND SORROWS.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Now let me see. Basic food staples are less expensive (the food the poor depend on) and wages are up. Electricity has improved. There are definitely more jobs. Roads are getting built. I see a lot of commercial growth here in Santiago. My cost of living is higher but I don't mind paying more if the Dominican people are doing better. I know that I feel better about the place since Leonel took over. During the end of Hippo this was a sullen place. People were absolutely miserable.

Are you middle class and angry because you have to pay more?

Leonel just got started. Give him a few more years before you start criticizing.

There is a serious crisis in the world right now. OIL. Last I heard it was 67 a barrel. OIL which allows the transportation of everything forces prices up everywhere. So Leonel steps in at a terrible time in the history of OIL and also a terrible mess created by old HIPPOPATAMUS. A solution requires drastic action. I see Leonel squeezing wherever he can. It has to be done.

DesiArnez6 said:
If you still think that the PLD isnt running us into the ground, tune into 102.3 FM SanFrancisco de macoris if you can get it (H102) www.h102fm.com i think if you cant get the signal, the cibao is a little bit angry, it may give you a feel for how everyone feels regardless of political party, it was scary to wake up this morning tune in and hear such voices and the haunting firetruck siren background, I do not want another strike, iţ am worn out from all this, I hope some day things will get better.

edit: the program seems over, its back to music, but keep posted, there is usually more talk in the morning, anyways , just a link, it is always goos to see what people have to say from all areas, very many would disagree with my opinions, but mine are always subject to change based on circumstance, many out there might not believe at one one time the staunch supporter of Leonel that i used to be i used to sing his commercials and run around with purple ;), i am always open to change. (just not until i see enough to convince me ;) ) P.S. Leonel will be in La Vega soon so keep posted try some of the stations, 100.7 was out awhile probably because of a short power outage ;)

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Road to Jarabacoa resurfaced

The road from Las Vega To Jarabacoa has been resurfaced with the money recieved from one wealthy Dominican (believe over 80 million RD$) who as far as I know has a residence in Jarabacoa (as per my lawyer who is from Jarabacoa) . So this is not happening all over the country ..
bob saunders said:
The road from La Vega to Jarabacoa has been resurfaced and many of the streets in Jarabacoa have had all their potholes filled in or repaved completly. Is this happening throughout the country?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here in El Seybo

The president came to visit and speak on 15 April 05 and told us that ours streets would be paved soon. Prior to his arrival about 15% of all the streets were paved and everything else was dirt. Presently, 14 Aug 05, we have about 75% of the streets paved and this started about a month ago. ;) ;) ;)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
expectations

For a 2005 budget of DR$210+Billion...building a couple of roads is some kind of pyric victory?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
mondongo said:
For a 2005 budget of DR$210+Billion...building a couple of roads is some kind of pyric victory?

I'm trying to remember when i seen a positive post of you.
I know that you are an anti Leonel guy, but when you arrive at the airports the customs is quicker, the childrens food program for schools is working again, Teachers are being paid on time again, buildings are being built, economic activity in general is speeding up, and building road is not cheap. Now, if he could fix the electrical problem.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm a pragmatist. I look at each situation independently. I use data and facts to write my posts. The 2005 budget is large enough to fix the electricity problem once and for all.

I'll repeat that: the 2005 budget is large enough to fix the electricity problem once and for all.

To get excellence, you have to demand excellence. What the govt is doing now is not good enough.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mondongo said:
I'm a pragmatist. I look at each situation independently. I use data and facts to write my posts. The 2005 budget is large enough to fix the electricity problem once and for all.

I'll repeat that: the 2005 budget is large enough to fix the electricity problem once and for all.

To get excellence, you have to demand excellence. What the govt is doing now is not good enough.
What does the size of the budget have to do with fixing the electricity problem?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mondongo said:

Throwing good money after bad money doesn't fix anything. The only cure is to colllect from all consumers, both rsidential and commercial. Only then can a reasonable rate structure be instituted. I really recommend the HBO documentary on AES's experience in Georgia (the ex-USSR state). They took a system in much worse shape than the DR's and now provide 24 hr. service at a reasonable rate with a profit to the company.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
please don't tell me they use $$ to pay debt

The PLD 2005 budget is the largest in both percentage and absolute terms. While inflation has been nearly flat from 2004 to 2005, the proposed budget has grown by 50%. Scandalous under any definition.

The PLD is confiscating any money it can get its hands on, much more so than Mejia.

rellosk, if the govt is going to take the people's money, it might as well do something useful with it..... re-build electricity distribution networks,etc. Look at it this way, if the govt did not steal your money, you would be more able to pay your bills.

HOWMAR, thanks for the info. that sounds interesting. The Georgian energy minister was quoted saying that 40% of the energy is wasted during distribution due to equipment and maintenance problems....not including the stealing of power.

DesiArnez6

Aug 9, 2005
I wasnt aware that the childrens food program for schools had stopped working, at least during the last administration it was still working fine in my community, tho maybe elsewehere it was different.

The continued road constuction is good for development, though i would like to see work on the electricity infrastructure, perhaps using something other than diesel would be more reliable at this time. I dont believe it is really necessary for everyone to pay electricity, especially the poor. New York City's public housing residents don't pay electricity, (which is a very sizeable portion of the population unlike most cities), and i never see power outages here... tho there was that blackout ;) Perhaps they should do what CORAASAN does with water.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DesiArnez6 said:
I wasnt aware that the childrens food program for schools had stopped working, at least during the last administration it was still working fine in my community, tho maybe elsewehere it was different.
There have been many reports in the DR1 news reporting the problems with the program under the last government. Here's an article that appeared in DR1 on January 20, 2004:
Public school programs hurting

The government is heavily in arrears with suppliers of the public school breakfast program. Several suppliers that have already accumulated millions in debt have suspended the dispatches, as reported in Hoy newspaper. Eduardo Hidalgo, a spokesman for the Dominican Teachers Association (ADP), denounced the massive debt owed to them by the Ministry of Education, which he estimated at RD$300 million. The amount considerably affects the finances of the local manufactures. Noteworthy is that Education Minister and Vice President Milagros Ortiz Bosch is currently vying for the PRD presidential nomination with President Hipolito Mejia. The school breakfast program instituted by the previous administration is one of the most important in place because it serves as a major incentive for parents to send their children to school, regardless of whether they can prepare their own breakfast for the children at home.
Likewise, the much-publicized government welfare program that would supply RD$300 a month to 100,000 mothers with children in public schools has collapsed. El Caribe newspaper says the government has not made the payments since September. The money is only enough to buy a medium-sized can of milk for the children's nutrition today. The Ministry of Education says the government has not authorized any allotments since then.