What is the best shop to open in a mall?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Huh! I think he asked about opening a business in the DR or did I miss some letters somewhere?

A person that already has opened a business in the DR wouldn't be asking what type, where and etc... Or am I wrong?

Again, putting Mall and 5 to 20K as the backdrop for the investment in the DR, is not only a recipe for a complete loss but I don't want to even say a monumental task to even start it...

You realize that's 400 for a lease contract that's not paid monthly? Which includes that you carry a full coverage insurance and certain provisions not posted on that sign? You must hire or contract a professional to set up the store image and all that other stuff? That the electrical service is also another contract that's signed with a deposit? Same for a host of other services not listed in the rent special offer?

Call them and find out!
By the time he incorporates, signs a lease, buys the required insurance and pays the various deposits, he'd have about half of that amount left.

$10,000 in inventory? Even at a 100% markup and minimal overhead, you're talking some serious turns to net even $400 a month...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DR1 Does NOT Suffer Fools Well !

So when they appear,they are rapidly expossed for what they are!
One way to find out a person's personal agenda when they appear on DR1,is to read all their posts.
Many times,they ask the same question,on several different forums,get answers on each,then just keep returning to their "agenda" over and over again.Some are here not to get information,but to get "verification".Such as; "Should I marry my Sanky"????We know that they will,they just want "verification".
Some,like "Pitt" are just playing a fantasy life here on DR1.Go read all their posts.Too many trolling questions,no focus,just "DR1 Day Dreaming".
Now we have "rdelc".What a joke!
Just "Spamming" all over the place!
"If you come to SD,I can find you a place to stay"!If you need help,here is my phone #.
Paleeeeeeeeezzzz.
Go read his posts.
He states on 3 or 4 different posts,that "DR! is no good",people are not helpful,you can't get any help on DR1,(My editing)
YET! he keeeps coming back to, "Worthless Ol' DR1",and posting.
"Wud Up Wit Dat"?
If I don't like someplace,I don't keep going back!
Dr1 is a "community",newcomers are always welcome,legit questions are always given answers,not always the answers that a person wants,but answers based on DR1er's real life experiences.
If,after careful consideration,some DR1ers,(Who Could we,I Mean, THEY be?) begin to become aware/ read,"FED UP" with your 'COVERT "SPAMMING",redundency/or reluctance to accept our honest advice,we/"THEY", begin to have a little game of "Cat & Mouse" with said posters."WE" being the "CATS",they being the mice.Guess who comes out on top in that game.
"Have a nice day"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccc;)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
One advantage is that working all hours starting a low budget business there is not time to spend much money.

Also on this budget there needs to be low stock.

Stories like this remind me of a Chinese couple running a restaurant in France ; they slept on the premises, open all hours and good food. They met with success after about 5 years.

By the way 4-500 a month assumes that there is no housing rent; and only one person not 10.

Actually in many parts of SD a reasonable chicken meal can be bought ready prepared for about 100 pesos -approx 2.5 dollars. This is about 1/2 the US price.

pi2

By the time he incorporates, signs a lease, buys the required insurance and pays the various deposits, he'd have about half of that amount left.

$10,000 in inventory? Even at a 100% markup and minimal overhead, you're talking some serious turns to net even $400 a month...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One advantage is that working all hours starting a low budget business there is not time to spend much money.

Also on this budget there needs to be low stock.

Stories like this remind me of a Chinese couple running a restaurant in France ; they slept on the premises, open all hours and good food. They met with success after about 5 years.

By the way 4-500 a month assumes that there is no housing rent; and only one person not 10.

Actually in many parts of SD a reasonable chicken meal can be bought ready prepared for about 100 pesos -approx 2.5 dollars. This is about 1/2 the US price.

pi2
yabadabadu, he has $10,000 left over and hasn't even built out his space....I won't even go into inventory...

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Wood, 2/3 power tools, Formica is not expensive. Plastic chairs / tables not expensive to start with.

pi2

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Wood, 2/3 power tools, Formica is not expensive. Plastic chairs / tables not expensive to start with.

pi2
Plastic tables and chairs in a mall.

:rolleyes:

You have a low business IQ, yabadabadu...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

pi2

HEY... Pi.... I "had your back" yesterday and stood up for your previous post on this thread....NOW you're starting to make me look bad!!!! Better to quit while you're ahead. Giving a suggestion for what TYPE of business might be successful is one thing; trying to legitimize doing it in a mall for $20K or under is something altogether different. It's indefensible.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Low stock. Really?

How is he supposed to make $$$, sell the same item 10x a day for the entire month?

10 gallons of ice cream, 10 cases of soft drinks, paper goods etc. You can pick up soft drinks really quick. For example.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
HEY... Pi.... I "had your back" yesterday and stood up for your previous post on this thread....NOW you're starting to make me look bad!!!! Better to quit while you're ahead. Giving a suggestion for what TYPE of business might be successful is one thing; trying to legitimize doing it in a mall for $20K or under is something altogether different. It's indefensible.

Its known as enterprise: I used to sell Ice Cream etc. Depends on your definition of mall - many are small in SD.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Its known as enterprise: I used to sell Ice Cream etc. Depends on your definition of mall - many are small in SD.

OH OH>... my VERY close friend Pi3 is whispering in my ear to let him borrow my computer. I'm kinda bored with him, but he might convince me. Don't know if I have time for this today.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I found a picture of Pi2:

286455706_8964e3e31c.jpg

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Huh! I think he asked about opening a business in the DR or did I miss some letters somewhere?

A person that already has opened a business in the DR wouldn't be asking what type, where and etc... Or am I wrong?

Again, putting Mall and 5 to 20K as the backdrop for the investment in the DR, is not only a recipe for a complete loss but I don't want to even say a monumental task to even start it...

You realize that's 400 for a lease contract that's not paid monthly? Which includes that you carry a full coverage insurance and certain provisions not posted on that sign? You must hire or contract a professional to set up the store image and all that other stuff? That the electrical service is also another contract that's signed with a deposit? Same for a host of other services not listed in the rent special offer?

Call them and find out!

I will NEVER NEVER understand Dominicans and the DR. You are Dominican right? Tell me I could be wrong, but the people who own and manage the mall it would benefit them having ANY booth that has a renter. Do you think it is good that so many of the malls have EMPTY booths? Nothing is worst then walking in a mall on a the weekend and passing empty booth after empty booth.

Pitt could open a store and sell only bath towels and call it " I LOVE BATH TOWELS" I know it sounds stupid but if I managed a mall I would take his store rather then a dark empty booth.

Years back I worked in a mall for Foot Locker and we had 4 stores that sold the exact same thing, and had the same name.

World Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Ladies Foot Locker, and just Foot Locker.

Wouldn't it benefit the mall to give him a break on some of his expenses for the first 6 months?

If you shop a many of the malls in USA it is a lot of pointless stores, but the mall has to fill these booths because a lot of empty booths = DEAD MALL and and no mall wants that title.

Lastly that is 20,000USD Pitt is trying to put into the DR economy. If another person comes from lets say Chicago and open up a store and only sold Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, and Bears appareal, and poster of Chicago and coffee mugs T- shirts, hats, and called it CHI-TOWN, once again I know it stupid selling this stuff in Santo Domingo, but it is a filled booth.

Next thing you know the mall has a 95% of its booth filled by people who just want to start a busniess in DR. Now that 20,000USD turns into 200,000USD invested in DR economy. I know you love your country by all the photos you take and they are really GOOD my favorite is "Meet Santo Domigo", but the DR needs a lot of help with its economy this could be a start. There is never any reason why a person should sour another person for investing in their country or city.

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
In this country, in any location,the ice ceam business is not for the one aith shallow pockets. This country has the highest cost per KWH in the hemisphere. It has one of the highest rate of blackouts. Don't tell me you kept the freezers powered with wind and solar. There ain't no way of going green and selling ice cream. I would expect all depend on planta generated electricity. Pi2, why are you promoting further abuse of the planet with more ice cream stores? Shame on you.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I will NEVER NEVER understand Dominicans and the DR. You are Dominican right? Tell me I could be wrong, but the people who own and manage the mall it would benefit them having ANY booth that has a renter. Do you think it is good that so many of the malls have EMPTY booths? Nothing is worst then walking in a mall on a the weekend and passing empty booth after empty booth.

Pitt could open a store and sell only bath towels and call it " I LOVE BATH TOWELS" I know it sounds stupid but if I managed a mall I would take his store rather then a dark empty booth.

Years back I worked in a mall for Foot Locker and we had 4 stores that sold that exact same thing, and had the same name.

World Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Ladies Foot Locker, and just Foot Locker.

Wouldn't it benefit the mall to give him a break on some of his expenses for the first 6 months?

If you shop a many of the malls in USA it is a lot of pointless stores, but the mall has to fill this booths because a lot of empty booths = DEAD MALL and and no mall wants that title.

Lastly that is 20,000USD Pitt is trying to put into the DR economy. If another person comes from lets say Chicago and open up a store and only sold Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, and Bears appareal, and poster of Chicago and coffee mugs T- shirts, hats, and called it CHI-TOWN, once again I know it stupid selling this stuff in Santo Domingo, but it is a filled booth.

Next thing you know the mall has a 95% of its booth filled by people who just want to start a busniess in DR. Now that 20,000USD turns into 200,000USD invested in DR economy. I know you love your country by all the photos you take and they are really GOOD my favorite is "Meet Santo Domigo", but the DR needs a lot of help with its economy this could be a start. There is never any reason why a person should sour another person for investing in their country or city.

The point isn't to dump 20k in the D.R., it's to start a business. If he wanted to put 20k into the economy, he could stand on a street corner with a bag full of $20 bills and accomplish that in one day... no effort at all.

A mall is a real estate business. They don't just want stored filled... they want stored filled with GOOD TENANTS that will pay their rent, and will be in business for more than 3 months. To let some hair brained person try to open a shop totally undercapitalized does no one any good at all. If you walk past an empty store, yea.. it doesn't look good... but it looks WORSE to walk by a store one day, and the next day it's closed, or if a store is constantly turned over. Then it looks like no business in that mall will be successful. OK... let's say they let Pi Ice Cream Inc. open, and only charge half price rent. What do you think the rest of the business owners will want???? They'll want half price rent too... or maybe less, given that they are long term, successful tenants. We can see where THAT'S going... a long spiral right down the old pooper. It's a losing proposition.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The point isn't to dump 20k in the D.R., it's to start a business. If he wanted to put 20k into the economy, he could stand on a street corner with a bag full of $20 bills and accomplish that in one day... no effort at all.

A mall is a real estate business. They don't just want stored filled... they want stored filled with GOOD TENANTS that will pay their rent, and will be in business for more than 3 months. To let some hair brained person try to open a shop totally undercapitalized does no one any good at all. If you walk past an empty store, yea.. it doesn't look good... but it looks WORSE to walk by a store one day, and the next day it's closed, or if a store is constantly turned over. Then it looks like no business in that mall will be successful. OK... let's say they let Pi Ice Cream Inc. open, and only charge half price rent. What do you think the rest of the business owners will want???? They'll want half price rent too... or maybe less, given that they are long term, successful tenants. We can see where THAT'S going... a long spiral right down the old pooper. It's a losing proposition.

Starting a Busniess is a RISK a RISK!!! People who start a busniess understands the risk involved. What mall will turn an applicant away because SORRY I don't think you busniess will be around in three months. What Busniess College you attended where you would see a profit in three months?

The problem is a lot of people including Dominicans do not want to see the Dominican Republic have success. Think for a minute if DR was like France do you think so many of would be hoping on a plane finding the long lost love of your life? As long as they are people like you" A STICK IN THE MUD" as one of co workers like to say, Dominicans will always see VIMENCA as a lifeline. Dominicans calling to friends and family living abroad asking to send money, because their economy and job market is so f**dup you see nothing wrong with that?

I know plenty of people from the middle east and Asia , Africa that own little stores and bodegas in some of the most violent part of some cities. If these people listen to individuals like youself" No don't open a store in Harlem, Watts, Little Haiti because they will rob you everyday and kill you everyday, some of these hoods will have no access to a store.

The thing that kills me is this not even your homeland and your telling another person what he can or can't do as far as runnin a business.

Some people are born to run a business and take the risk at opening a business. The days of our parents working 40 years for the MAN!!! are history we would rather be our own boss. Should Pitt go to DR and fill out applications at Pollo Rey or find a chic and take care of her and help him spend his money, or sitting a bar all day long without a shirt talking to people about their 20 something GF or wife.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In this country, in any location,the ice ceam business is not for the one aith shallow pockets. This country has the highest cost per KWH in the hemisphere. It has one of the highest rate of blackouts. Don't tell me you kept the freezers powered with wind and solar. There ain't no way of going green and selling ice cream. I would expect all depend on planta generated electricity. Pi2, why are you promoting further abuse of the planet with more ice cream stores? Shame on you.

I hope you aren't using the same math to calculate an ice cream store's business plan that you did when you responded to my post about living costs.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I forgot one more thing go ask any manager of any top rated mall, is there any circumstance where a booth should not be filled. A job of the manager of a mall is bringing in people. If there are multiple booths not being used it makes the entire mall look unappealing to shoppers. No mall I have ever worked give a month to month lease. Like I said I have no idea what Business School you attended.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Starting a Busniess is a RISK a RISK!!! People who start a busniess understands the risk involved. What mall will turn an applicant away because SORRY I don't think you busniess will be around in three months. What Busniess College you attended where you would see a profit in three months?

The problem is a lot of people including Dominicans do not want to see the Dominican Republic have success. Think for a minute if DR was like France do you think so many of would be hoping on a plane finding the long lost love of your life? As long as they are people like you" A STICK IN THE MUD" as one of co workers like to say, Dominicans will always see VIMENCA as a lifeline. Dominicans calling to friends and family living abroad asking to send money, because their economy and job market is so f**dup you see nothing wrong with that?

I know plenty of people from the middle east and Asia , Africa that own little stores and bodegas in some of the most violent part of some cities. If these people listen to individuals like youself" No don't open a store in Harlem, Watts, Little Haiti because they will rob you everyday and kill you everyday, some of these hoods will have no access to a store.

The thing that kills me is this not even your homeland and your telling another person what he can or can't do as far as runnin a business.

Some people are born to run a business and take the risk at opening a business. The days of our parents working 40 years for the MAN!!! are history we would rather be our own boss. Should Pitt go to DR and fill out applications at Pollo Rey or find a chic and take care of her and help him spend his money, or sitting a bar all day long without a shirt talking to people about their 20 something GF or wife.

Apparently you didn't attend one either.;)