What is the best shop to open in a mall?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've always thought that if you could get one or two of these to the island, it would be a real money maker:

OS104_lg.jpg

They have a hopper for ice in the top and you put in fruit/premix and booze in the blended. Push a button and it dispenses and exact amount of ice, pulses the blender and makes frozen margaritas, pina coladas, fruit batidas, etc etc. Most bars in the US get $7-$10 a drink. The nice thing is it's all automated for one touch operation. They make most of their money on selling the premixes. If the power goes out, it's no big deal. You can have it make up to four drinks at once with perfect portion control.

https://secure.islandoasis.com/store/st_item_detail.aspx?iid=58
That's the system I had in my bar...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
FIRST OF ALL, I have no idea of what half of what you wrote even means, much less what is has to do with the thread or my post.

With regard to what I COULD understand, nowhere did I say opening a business is not a risk... OF COURSE IT IS. Nowhere did I say he should count on a profit in 3 months. That's ridiculous. WHAT I SAID is the he has to be properly capitalized. He needs to be able to run the business at a loss for an extended time on his invested capital with no profit. 20K won't do it. He'll be out of money to pay the bills before he sees a cent of profit... long before. He will be OUT OF BUSINESS. He will be BANKRUPT. He will be out on the curb of his mall, and his capital investment of equipment, fixtures, and inventory will be lost to his creditors.

The single biggest reason for new businesses to go bankrupt is LACK OF SUFFICIENT CAPITAL.

If you had ever rented any property to a tenant, you would know that it can cost more to have a bad, non paying tenant than to have your property vacant. Tenant turn over is a big expense and pain in the behind. No landlord wants a revolving door property.

All of your vast number of friends with bodegas and stores in whatever hellholes you're talking about have no bearing on the subject. We're talking about opening a store or shop in a mall. This means being a REAL business, with REAL expenses. IN THE REAL WORLD. Not daydreaming or theorizing about small business practices in urban areas.

Have ever walked in some barrios in SD like Chino de Barrio are you telling some of these place that sell socks, shirts and other apparel started with 20,000USD. Man get of your Dominican High horse!! If really want to know whats up in DR 80% of the items you see is BOOTLEG, KNOCK OFFS,. I saw a young woman walking down the street with a Coach purse that cost my sister around 800USD and your telling me a large percent of DR women can afford a Coach?

If you want a Business to be successful in DR sell knockoffs and watch how you business grow.

The Dominican Republic is not a wise place to start a business, but I will never tell a person that he or she will fail FROM THE SIDELINE based soley on a couple of lines a person written on the web.

BTW A lot of you not all, but a lot seem very UNHAPPY, and I can't understand because " Its another day in Paradise" like Mr Collins sang about. If Pitt said he had 4,000,0000USD to invest many of you would reply and say he needs 8,000,000USD, or he has to pay half of that to the mafia so they won't burn his place down.

Everytime a person even hints on starting a business in DR they become targets, your business will fail, your stupid, or you need much more money.

If some of you think the DR economy will be much better in 2022 DREAM ON!!! DR needs all the help they can.

People run homes off car battries
People make 300 A MONTH
Some of the police cars look like they have been 5 or more accidents.
At least 1 billion USD comes to DR every year by way of friend and family wiring money.

And your telling me a person can't start a business 20,000USD How long will it take a Dominican Family to make 20,000USD.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
AND WILL BE IN BUSINESS FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS. Your words not mine.

Yes, exactly. Soooooo.... What's your point? Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. Quoting half a sentence is meaningless.

Businesses do not do well in DR because you have to BRIBE a lot of people, then after that more people then more people.

You're making my case for me! Add the bribes to the already overwhelming costs. He'll be out of business just that much faster.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Sounds like a question from a guy whom....

is drunk with the passion fruit of cinnamon girls and frias, and would love to justify feeding his increasing lust for spending time in the DR. I get it ...I do. I would love to retire in the DR with a small biz ....but that is many years and much research away. Why? It does not take a brain surgeon to see that the market and cultural forces in play here are very different. And I am under no illusions that I have the savvy (compared to Dominicans) for vending barrio single cigs and scoops of arroz and laundry detergent. As far as owning a mall retail biz (where I have my experience).....nope. Not interested.

Many Dominicans are very entrepreneurial and have the lion's share of bases covered....having had to fill needs out of self and barrio sustaining impetuses in the absence of 1st world infrastructure and services. Finding under exploited biz niches here capable of generating enduring revenue takes time and on the ground relationships and networking and a penchant for cold showers....at times from a bucket. Coming in (without being part of a community or even knowing the difference between Chinola and Sancocho), and throwing money into a biz (sufficient $ or not, mall or barrio), is not wise.

If YOU knew anything about starting a business, you'd KNOW it's his first rodeo...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Have ever walked in some barrios in SD like Chino de Barrio are you telling some of these place that sell socks, shirts and other apparel started with 20,000USD. Man get of your Dominican High horse!! If really want to know whats up in DR 80% of the items you see is BOOTLEG, KNOCK OFFS,. I saw a young woman walking down the street with a Coach purse that cost my sister around 800USD and your telling me a large percent of DR women can afford a Coach?

If you want a Business to be successful in DR sell knockoffs and watch how you business grow.

The Dominican Republic is not a wise place to start a business, but I will never tell a person that he or she will fail FROM THE SIDELINE based soley on a couple of lines a person written on the web.

BTW A lot of you not all, but a lot seem very UNHAPPY, and I can't understand because " Its another day in Paradise" like Mr Collins sang about. If Pitt said he had 4,000,0000USD to invest many of you would reply and say he needs 8,000,000USD, or he has to pay half of that to the mafia so they won't burn his place down.

Everytime a person even hints on starting a business in DR they become targets, your business will fail, your stupid, or you need much more money.

If some of you think the DR economy will be much better in 2022 DREAM ON!!! DR needs all the help they can.

People make 300 A MONTH
At least 1 billion USD comes to DR every year by way of friend and family wiring money.

And your telling me a person can't start a business 20,000USD How long will it take a Dominican Family to make 20,000USD.

Again, I can barely understand your point. You constantly contradict yourself and you're arguing my case for me. I think you are just spouting nonsense in order to .... hmmm, actually I have no idea what your purpose is. I just think you got mad at me for disagreeing with you earlier about tossing 20K down the drain. Whatever. This discussion is like having an ass kicking contest with a one-legged man.

Good luck and I wish you only the best.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

People make 300 A MONTH

So, a knockoff of a knockoff store? Is your plan? Dominicans will buy socks from a gringo in a mall that they wouldn't buy from the Dominican walking around with bags of socks?

Interesting.

Sounds more like you're upset about people having their dreams dashed. Which I fully understand.

When I have a conversation with a prospective law student, the discussion is usually a sobering one.

-You will not get all As, but will acquire substantial debt.
-There is no guarantee of getting a good job, and you may very well find yourself grossly underemployed, as fewer lawyers are out-and-out retiring these days.
-You're most likely NOT going to end up on the Supreme Court, or any court for that matter. ---Nor will you likely ever argue "the big case."
-Chances are, you'll do divorces and breach of contract matters before a judge who, in all actuality, hasn't really reviewed the case ahead of time, and is likely not paying super close attention to what you're saying.
-If you do get a good paying job, you'll work obscene hours doing unfulfilling and sometimes distasteful work, and dreaming of moving to a tropical paradise.

The list goes on, and I really like what I do.

My purpose to writing the above is to state that, IMHO, just as those of us who have been in the field have a responsibility to apprise prospective lawyers of what they're getting into, those who have real-world biz experience should share that experience with newcomers.

And successful operators sharing good experience is certainly not gonna be all sunshine and flowers.

Sorry, but anyone who can't handle that reality probably just needs to keep working for someone else, and coming down a few times a year.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I never said that his business would be a success, but do not tell a person what they can and can't do. Pitt likes DR and he wants to take a chance who am I to tell him he can't.

20,000USD for me the DR is the last place I would invest that kind of money. I would rather lease a 2012 BMW 5 series M sport edition, and buy a new Tag Heuer watch and buy some BULLS tickets, but that is me.

Some of you think you have the right to tell people what the outcome of their goals would be. READ anywhere Pitt said DR1 do you think I can have success in DR. He asked for ideas ONLY. If some of you are not Financial Advisor or Accountants why give him this info, it is people in DR they will give him better idea of the COST for running this type of business. Pitt never HIRED any of you for financial advise, but some of you felt compelled to offer your worthless advise.

PITT if your reading this GOOD LUCK what ever you decide and I wish you well with all your endeavors.

May 29, 2006
That's the system I had in my bar...

Yeah, I've worked at places where one machine was putting out over $700 in drinks an hour when going full tilt. They pay for themselves quick. The drinks sell themselves once someone sees a slushy with booze in it.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
For get that drink machine!

Shouldn’t 20K suffice to setup a strip club? Do Dominican pay for these types of services?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
For get that drink machine!

Shouldn’t 20K suffice to setup a strip club? Do Dominican pay for these types of services?

A very profitable business, according to Iceberg Slim. It would be in keeping with the "rent a sports car, get a 'look at me' watch, and courtside for the the Bulls" mentality.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
A very profitable business, according to Iceberg Slim. It would be in keeping with the "rent a sports car, get a 'look at me' watch, and courtside for the the Bulls" mentality.

Maybe I should have been some 5 cent ambulance chaser with a 100 dollar suit driving a 10 year old Honda Civic with a 55 dollar Timex that was given to you because your wife had a coupon, smelling like 3 day old coffee.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Maybe I should have been some 5 cent ambulance chaser with a 100 dollar suit driving a 10 year old Honda Civic with a 55 dollar Timex that was given to you because your wife had a coupon, smelling like 3 day old coffee.

Well, now you're finally being really real in your realness, aren't you?

Classy response, from a guy who is clearly all swag, no substance.

And, I'll have you know, we got the Timex on sale, and chasing ambulances costs way more than five cents, with today's gas prices.... lol.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Sell lucky charms! Litttle investment needed. Also Rolex mock watches!
pi2

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Sell lucky charms! Litttle investment needed. Also Rolex mock watches!
pi2

Do you have any idea how much money I could make organizing a debate (on ANY topic)
between you, Pichardo, and Chip.............lol
Now THAT'S a business opportunity...

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Do you have any idea how much money I could make organizing a debate (on ANY topic)

B in Santiago

Monkey Business! lol (Evolution)

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

B in Santiago
A mental duel amongst three unarmed men.

May 29, 2006
$20k ain't squat to start a real business.

My friend in the Pacific Islands got started with less than $3000 including rent on a storefront to do an import/distribution business. Within two years, he was grossing over a million a year and netting around $100,000. He busted his butt and reinvested into the storefront for the first year and was growing at a rate of about 15% per week with 100% turnover in inventory. So he was doubling up about once every 2 months. He did his homework, had an MBA, and used the book by Sam Walton as his guide. He made the most money on dollar toys and candy.

He was selling cheap crap with a high mark-up. Dollar General is doing pretty well in the US. A 20 y 40 store can do well because it's all impulse buys:

http://www.wholesalecentral.com/ywengwholesale/store.cfm

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
My friend in the Pacific Islands got started with less than $3000 including rent on a storefront to do an import/distribution business. Within two years, he was grossing over a million a year and netting around $100,000. He busted his butt and reinvested into the storefront for the first year and was growing at a rate of about 15% per week with 100% turnover in inventory. So he was doubling up about once every 2 months. He did his homework, had an MBA, and used the book by Sam Walton as his guide. He made the most money on dollar toys and candy.

He was selling cheap crap with a high mark-up. Dollar General is doing pretty well in the US. A 20 y 40 store can do well because it's all impulse buys:

Y Weng Wholesale

Ratner is famous for his crap quote:

Simon Hattenstone interviews Gerald Ratner | Business | The Guardian

But he seemed to have recovered: one Xmas I had no money so persuaed a wholesaler to let me have 20 watches on sale or return. I sold the lot in 3 nights for 100% profit margin. Not bad!

pi2